Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

From the end of the aisle, Scott could see all of his close friends and family. His mother sat on the front row with tears streaking her face; he smiled at her. As the string quartet began to play Pachelbel's Canon, Scott looked down the aisle. The first person to come down was his sister, she had her blonde hair pulled up and she wore a strapless midnight blue dress that stopped just above the knees. Following her was Jessica whose dress was identical to Hannah’s. Beth was next in the procession her dress, also strapless, was floor length. Emi was the last of the bridesmaids to come down the aisle, her dress was similar to Beth’s but instead of being strapless, it wrapped around one shoulder.

The entire audience awed as Scott's niece, Margot, made her way down the aisle. Walking slowly she picked one pedal from her basket and let it float onto the ground in front of her. When she reached the end she looked down into her basket and dumped the rest. She sweetly looked up to Scott and gave him a toothy smile before walking over to stand with the bridesmaids.

While her friends and her future niece walked down the aisle, Deidre stood behind the doors waiting with her father. She held on tightly to his arm and tried to calm her racing heart.

“Baby girl are you going to be okay?” Michael asked his daughter

“Yes I’m fine. I’m going to be fine.” Deidre said more to herself than answering her father’s question.

“Deidre, I know you’re going to be fine, but what about right now. Do you need to go outside for a quick breath of fresh air? Because we can make them wait a minute.” Michael said.

“Daddy, my bridesmaids have gone down the aisle already. I don’t have time for a quick ‘breath of fresh air.’” Deidre said.

“I’m just checking Deidre.” Michael said.

The doors began to open and Deidre gasped. The room was set up perfectly. Scott stood at the end of the aisle in front of a large window that looked out onto the resort’s gardens. Deidre and Scott’s friends and family sat in white chairs. At the end of every two rows, there was a small bouquet of flowers tied to the chairs.

Scott watched as his bride walked down the aisle with her father. He could not find the perfect word to describe how Deidre looked; stunning simply was not enough. To be honest, Scott did not think a word existed that could fully capture the image of Deidre walking down the aisle toward him. Her gown was ivory with ivory colored lace. Most of the patterns on the lace were ivory as well, but a few were silver. The dress was form fitting at the top and starting at mid-thigh it slightly flared away from Deidre’s body.  Around her waist she wore a midnight blue sash accented by an ivory lace flower. The chapel train dragged gracefully behind Deidre as she walked. Deidre's hair was curled tight enough that it barely touched her shoulders but loose enough that the curls did not look hard. The pearls from her mother graced Deidre’s neck and matched the simple pearl and diamond earrings she wore.

Deidre wore a huge smile as she lightly squeezed her father's arm. When they reached Scott, Michael gave his daughter a kiss on the cheek before placing her hand in Scott’s.

"Good afternoon everyone. Today we come to celebrate the union of Scott and Deidre." The officiator said as she looked around. "Marriage is a special institution, consented to by both individuals. In that spirit, Scott and Deidre have written their own vows." She nodded her head to Deidre.

"Scott Walker," Deidre smiled. "I didn't mean to fall for you. I was adamantly against it, but I guess my heart had other plans. You're arrogant, and you know how to get under my skin, but I love you and I wouldn’t want it any other way. You call me on my mistakes, and you support me with everything I do. No one else has ever made me feel the way you do, and on top of it all you're my best friend. There's no one I'd rather spend the rest of my life with than you. So, I promise to be there for you when you know you need me and when you think you don’t. I will stand with you and for you because I love you." She slid the band onto Scott's finger.

"Deidre, you changed me for the better, ask anyone here. You're talented and witty, and you keep me on my toes. You recognize that I have a past, but you looked beyond that to love me. I pursued you in search of a challenge, instead I found a woman who understands me better than anyone I've ever known, or ever will know. I will love you when we’re happy, when we’re sad. And when you’re upset or disappointed I’ll be there for you." Scott said sliding the ring onto Deidre's finger.

"Scott, Deidre,” said the officiator, “I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride."

"Keep it G-rated you two." Rebecca called.

Deidre rolled her eyes and Scott laughed as he bent down to kiss his wife.

"May your life together be even more beautiful than today’s events." The officiator said to the couple. Turning to the audience and holding her arms out in front of her she said, “ladies and gentlemen I present to you as husband and wife Deidre and Scott.”

Deidre took her bouquet from Beth, and she and Scott walked back down the aisle. After the ceremony, Scott and Deidre remained to take pictures while everyone else went up to the reception area.

"That was easy," Scott said as the photographer positioned them.

"That’s what you think. You look very handsome."

"Thank you." Scott smiled. He looked Deidre up and down before leaning closer to her ear. “You look…wow is all I can say. If we didn’t have close to fifty of our relatives and closest friends waiting for us, I’d take you up stairs and get you out of that dress your wearing.” He whispered.

Deidre grinned widely and laughed just as the photographer caught the moment on film.

 “Just hold tight there Scott. You’ll get your chance.” Deidre said.

After Deidre and Scott finished with the pictures, they made their entrance at the reception and then sat down to eat.

“About the music Scott.” Deidre said.

“What about the music?”

“I know I said I wouldn’t ask. But I’m dying here. Can you please tell me what song is going to be played for our first dance?” Deidre begged.

Scott laughed. “You said I could do this, so I’m keeping it a surprise. You’ll just have to wait. I will tell you that I asked your father to choose the song for his dance with you.”

“Can you at least tell me what he chose?” Deidre asked.

“If I tell you, will you stop asking about my song choice?” Scott asked.

Deidre smiled. “Yes.”

“Stevie Wonder ’My Cherie Amore.’ “

Deidre laughed. “That song came out the year I was born. My dad wanted to name me Cherie Amore, but Nora James was having none of that. My mother put her foot down on the issue.”

“Then I guess you approve?” Scott questioned.

“Yes, I approve.” Deidre said.

There was the screeching sound of a chair moving as Beth stood up. “Excuse me, everyone. Hello!” She said trying to get the room’s attention.” Beth looked over to the bride and groom. "So, Scott you've married my sister-in-law. She's the closest thing I have to a sister so if you screw up expect three deaths instead of just the two you'll receive from Michael and my husband. But seriously, the first time Deidre mentioned you almost two years ago when we were talking on the phone, I knew you were the one. That call came after her second encounter with you. She was frustrated and annoyed by your arrogance and your pursuit of her. I thought gee perfect for Deidre. The first time I met you I thought, man candy and heartbreaker. But it was obvious from the way you interacted with Deidre that you were in it for the long hall, whether Deidre liked it or not. So today, on the occasion of your wedding, I wish nothing but the best of luck, 'cause you'll need it when dealing with one of my closest friends and stubborn sister-in-law. Welcome to the family Scott."

Scott nodded his head and smiled while everyone applauded, “Thank you Beth.”

"My turn.” Kevin said standing up. “I remember way back when… Let me stop. Scott I was honored when you asked me to be your best man. For the longest time, I had no idea what I would say. I could talk about your past, and how much of a troublemaker you were growing up and in college, but that didn't seem right for this occasion. So I guess I'll give you advice. Number one, your wife is always right. No matter what Deidre says or does she is always right. Which leads to rule number two: your wife is never wrong. It goes well with number one. For further guidance, when in trouble say I'm sorry, even if you don't know what you did because according to rules number one and two Deidre will always be right. Deidre, if he ever gets out of line and forget these rules, let me know. I'll set him straight. To Deidre and Scott." Kevin raised his glass and the rest of the room followed suite.

Following the toast, Scott and Deidre cut the cake, which went fairly well. Only a few crumbs ended up in Scott's hair and only a small amount of icing found it's way to Deidre's nose, forehead and somehow her shoulder. After the fiasco of a cake cutting, it was time to dance.

“Ladies and gentleman. Please welcome to the dance floor the newly weds, Dr. Scott Walker and Mrs. Deidre James Walker as they dance for the first time as husband and wife.”

Scott took Deidre’s hand and the two walked out onto the dance floor. As the first few notes of the song played Deidre smiled. “Elvis.” Deidre said.

“I like Elvis.” Scott said.

The couple moved slowly across the dance floor along to Elvis Presley crooning “Can’t Help Falling in Love.”

“Yeah, I know.” Deidre laughed.

“You have to admit, I chose well.” Scott said.

“Yes, you chose well. I wouldn’t have picked this song, but it’s perfect.” Deidre smiled.