Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

A few weeks after finding out she was pregnant, Deidre was scheduled for her second appointment and an ultra sound with her doctor.  She and Scott arrived at the doctor’s office early enough to flip through the parenting magazines on the table.

Scott watched his wife impatiently turn the pages of the magazine she was holding.

“Are you okay?” Scott asked.

“I’m a little anxious.” Deidre said.

“About?”

“I don’t know maybe about the fact that I’m having a baby. In five months I’ll be pushing a human being out of my body. I think I deserve to be anxious.” Deidre explained.

Scott laughed and shook his head, “okay.”

A few minutes later a nurse came in from the back. “Deidre.” She called.

Deidre and Scott stood up and followed the woman into an exam room. After having her blood taken, Deidre sat on the exam table staring off into space.

“Deidre, what are you thinking?” Scott asked.

“Nothing. I’m just making a mental list of all of the things we need to do before the baby arrives.”

Scott laughed. “Deidre we have some time before we need to think to hard about that. How about you wait before you start freaking out.”

“Okay. You’re right.” Deidre commented. “You are right.” She said again trying to convince herself of the fact.

Before either could say anything else, the doctor walked in.

“Deidre, how are you doing today?” She asked.

“I’m good Dr. West.”

“That’s good to here. We went ahead and performed the tests we talked about last time on the blood sample you gave us. I’m actually really glad you are having an ultrasound done today as well. It will give us a chance to see what’s going on. Your AFP levels are kind of high…”

“Is that a problem?” Scott asked concerned. Obstetrics was not something he paid close attention to in medical school.

“Well it all depends on what the ultrasound shows. It could indicate a problem with the fetus…”

“Wait, a problem what kind of problem?” Deidre asked.

“Let me finish, please. It could also indicate the presence of more than one fetus.”

“More than one?” Deidre asked this time slightly confused.

“Yes, as in multiple babies. I was wondering if there is a history of twins or multiples in your family Deidre.” Dr. West asked.

“Yes, I have a twin brother.”

“Then I’m going to say the possibility that your high AFP levels are indicating that you are carrying twins. So, how about we get the ultrasound done and regroup after that?” Dr. West said. “I’ll be back in a minute with our ultrasound tech.”

“So, twins.” Scott said.

Deidre laid back on the table and closed her eyes. “That’s what she said right?”

“Yes, that’s what she said.”

Deidre opened her eyes and turned her head toward Scott. “I’d rather it be twins than have something go wrong with the baby.”

“I agree.” Scott said. He grabbed her hand and squeezed it.

Dr. West returned with the ultrasound technician. “Deidre, Scott this is Lacey. She will be handling the ultrasound, okay.”

“Okay.” Deidre said.

“Alright Deidre if you could lift your shirt a little.” Lacey said.

Deidre did as instructed and pulled up her shirt.

“This shouldn’t be too cold.” Lacey said as she squirted some gel onto Deidre’s abdomen. Lacey moved the wand around until she found what she was looking for.

Scott and Deidre both watched the screen intently. After a few seconds, a steady thumping was heard.

“Is that the heartbeat?” Scott asked.

“Yes it is.” Lacey said.

“Wait and is that another head.” Scott said pointing to the screen.

The three women looked at the screen harder than they had before.

“That is definitely another head.” Dr. West smiled. “Congratulations, your having twins.”

“Wow.” Deidre said. “Oh my god. This is really happening.”

The entire way home from the appointment Deidre was quiet. She was lost in thought. From time to time, Scott looked over to his wife sitting in the passenger seat.

“Hey.” Scott said getting Deidre’s attention. She looked over at Scott. “I feel like I’ve been asking you this a lot today, but I want to make sure you’re okay.”

“Yeah Scott. I’m fine. I just… I didn’t think this would happen so soon, nor did I think I’d be having twins. Scott, we’re having twins. How do we tell Rachel? When do we tell Rachel?”

It was a lazy Sunday afternoon. Scott had gone out with a few friends while Deidre and Rachel stayed at home. Earlier in the month, the growing family moved into a larger home. With the help of their friends, they were able to get everything unpacked.

Deidre was into week thirty of her pregnancy. She lay on the couch watching the Disney movie Up with Rachel, who was sitting on the floor with Bear’s head resting in her lap. Deidre was only halfway paying attention to the movie she was now watching for the fourth time in three weeks—the movie was one of Rachel’s favorites. A bad headache distracted Deidre from the movie.

After the movie ended, Rachel stood up and went over to her mother on the couch. Bear disappeared after being jolted from his comfortable position.

“Mommy.” Rachel said.

Deidre opened her eyes and looked at the four-yea-old standing very close to her face and smiled. “Yes Rachel?”

“Are you okay?” Rachel asked concerned. She was a very perceptive child and could tell her mother was not feeling her best.

“I have just a little headache; I’ll be fine. Do you think you can put some more water in my cup?” Deidre asked.

Rachel nodded; she was always happy to help. Walking slowly with both hands gripping the cup, Rachel returned.

“Thank you.” Deidre said as she sat up.

“Can I feel?” Rachel said. Throughout Deidre’s pregnancy, Rachel showed a great deal of interest and attachment to the twins her mother was carrying. Both Deidre and Scott encouraged her behavior because they wanted Rachel to feel like she was apart of everything.

Deidre nodded her head, “of course you can.”

Rachel put her small hands to Deidre’s belly and laid her head down as well. She giggled. “I felt a kick.”

Deidre continued to smile and nod her head.

The door to the garage opened and closed. Deidre and Rachel heard Bear going through the house to greet the new arrival.

Scott walked into the living room, followed by Bear, to find Deidre resting on the couch and Rachel’s head resting on Deidre’s belly. He smiled. If ever there was a Kodak moment, this was it. He pulled out his iPhone.

Deidre lifted her head, “hey.”

“Don’t move you two. I’m taking a picture.” Scott said.

“Of course you are.” Deidre laughed. “You have become like the paparazzi. I need to start seeing these pictures before you send them to our mothers.”

“Why? They aren’t bad.” Scott said sitting down on the coffee table in front of the couch.

Deidre rolled her eyes before closing them again.

“Hi daddy.” Rachel said. She turned around and sat on his leg.

“Hey Rachel.” Scott laughed. “When did I become a chair?”

Rachel giggled and shrugged her shoulders.

Deidre rolled her head over to look at her husband and daughter. “Don’t act like you haven’t been an appropriate chair for years Scott.”

“Of course, take Rachel’s side.” Scott said in mock hurt.

Rachel giggled some more at her parents’ conversation.

“And what are you laughing at?” Scott asked. He began to tickle Rachel, who then let out a large yelp of laughter.

“I’m not laughing! I’m not laughing!” Rachel squealed.

Bear, the dog, chose that moment to begin barking.

Deidre smiled at their antics, but it was forced. The increasing noise level was only making the pain in her head worse. Looking up Scott noticed the look on Deidre’s face, and so did Rachel.

“Mommy’s not feeling well.” Rachel told her dad.

“I see.” Scott said. “Ray, why don’t you go and get that book you wanted to read to me before I left while I talk to mommy.”

“Okay.” Rachel said leaving the room.

After he was sure Rachel was not in hearing distance, Scott turned to Deidre. “So, what’s going on here?” He asked referring to how she was feeling.

“It’s nothing just a little headache and some soreness.” Deidre said trying to downplay her pain. She did not want her husband to worry.

“Deidre, you’re seven and a half months pregnant with twins. Don’t write-off your aches and pains.  It could be something more serious.”

“Scott, you worry to much.”

“No, I’m a doctor. I think we should call Dr. West and try to get in to see her tomorrow morning.”

“Fine,” Deidre said conceding. “Call her office and set up an appointment. I think I’m going to go lay down in the room. Help me up.”

“Good.” Scott said as he stood up and offered his hand to Deidre.

The next morning, after dropping Rachel off at school, Scott and Deidre went in to see the doctor.

“Good morning.” Dr. West said coming into the room.

“Hi.” Deidre said.

Dr. West leaned against the counter in the exam room. “So, you are having headaches?”

“Yeah. I thought it was just something that came along with being pregnant.”

“We always want to check when you have new symptoms.” Dr. West said seriously. “Your headaches could be an indictor of another issue.”

“What kind of problem?” Scott asked.

“I want to check Deidre’s blood pressure and depending on the results, we’ll do some blood and urine tests. Your headache is an indicatory of preeclampsia. Unfortunately Deidre, due to your age, ethnicity and the fact that you are carrying twins, you are more likely to develop the condition.” Dr. West explained as she fastened a blood pressure cuff around Deidre’s upper arm.

The electronic blood pressure cuff beeped indicating it was done with the reading. “Let’s take a look. 142 over 91.”

“That’s high.” Scott said.

“Yes it is. Anything higher than 140 over 90 for pregnant women is considered high. I’m pretty sure you have preeclampsia Deidre. But I want you to come in tomorrow so we can take another reading. Until then I want you to stay at home and relax. No working, just take it easy. I would prefer it if you lay on your side.  Depending on what your blood pressure is tomorrow, we’ll make final decisions as far as how often I want you to come in and what type of activity you’re allowed to do.” Dr. West explained.

“What happens if my blood pressure doesn’t get any lower or if it continues to rise?” Deidre asked concerned.

“Worst case, we give you steroids to help the twins lung function develop faster and we schedule a cesarean section. But we are not at that point.” Dr. West said.

Deidre nodded her head. “Okay.”

Scott looked at his wife who was now squeezing his hand.

“Thanks Dr. West. We’ll see you tomorrow.” Scott said helping Deidre up.

Most of the ride home, Deidre was quiet. “Deidre, I know you’ve got a lot running through your head. Care to share?”

“I might be freaking out a little bit.” Deidre said.

“Don’t do that. We’ll know more tomorrow.”

Deidre tried to stay calm as she nodded her head.

A week passed since Deidre’s original appointment. Her blood pressure was still high and the other tests confirmed preeclampsia. Dr. West determined Deidre’s condition was not serious enough to warrant hospitalization. But she did put her patient on bed rest at home. Deidre was supposed to spend as much time lying on her side as possible.

Deidre was home alone.  Rachel was at school and Scott was at work. Deidre was thirsty, so she got up from her position on the couch and went to the kitchen. Bear followed behind her. As she was fixing something to drink, the doorbell rang and then opened.

“Hello, Hello? I brought food!” Hannah called walking into the house. She looked around and did not see her sister-in-law. “Deidre?”

“I’m in the kitchen Hannah.” Deidre said.

Hannah walked into the kitchen and set the bags on the counter. “Aren’t you supposed to be on the couch or in the bed?” Hannah narrowed her eyes at Deidre.

“I can get up to use the bathroom and fix myself something to drink.” Deidre defended.

“I guess that makes sense.” Hannah conceded. “So I went to the market and got salads. It was the only thing I could think of that was low sodium.”

“That’s fine.” Deidre said picking up a plate and walking into the living room.

Hannah grabbed her own plate and followed Deidre. “How are you doing?”

“You ask me that every time you come over.” Deidre said.

“I’m concerned that’s all. You’re the sister-in-law I like, remember?” Hannah laughed. “And you’re carrying my nieces in there. I can’t have anything happening to you.”

Deidre shook her head, “well in that case, I’m doing okay. I’m bored as hell. There is absolutely nothing to do and I have a slight headache.”

“I can help with the bored part. I can work from here if you like and keep you company. But maybe we should check your blood pressure. Scott told me he brought an electronic cuff home so he could monitor it.” Hannah said getting up from the chair.

“Somehow, I think the real reason you came over was just to check my blood pressure because your brother told you I needed it done.” Deidre said.

Hannah disappeared into the back and came back out with the offending instrument. “He may have mentioned it when I talked to him on the phone. Give me your arm.”

Deidre did as instructed and Hannah took the reading. “Well? Can you call your brother and tell him I’m fine?”

Hannah looked at the numbers and then pulled out her phone.

“Hannah, what are you doing?” Deidre asked.

“I’m just checking something.” Earlier Scott texted his little sister the numbers Deidre’s blood pressure needed to be below. Hannah had memorized it, but she wanted to double check before she ruined Deidre’s day.

“Well?” Deidre asked again.

“I think we need to call your doctor Deidre. You’re blood pressure is too high.”

“And now you’re a doctor?” Deidre asked.

“No, Scott told me I should call your doctor if your blood pressure was approaching 160 over 110. It’s getting pretty close.”

Deidre was quiet. She wasn’t expecting that. “I feel fine, well other than this headache…”

Hannah shook her head. “I’m calling your doctor.”

“No, wait. I’ll call. Can you get my bag from the closet? I have a feeling Dr. West is going to put me in the hospital now.”

“Sure.” Hannah grabbed the bag and Deidre made the call.

About an hour later, Deidre was checked into the Northwest Hospital and Medical center, the hospital where Dr. West had privileges.  It was not long after Deidre settled into the room that Scott came in.

“Hey.” Scott said walking over to Deidre.

“Hey to you to.”

“I’m here too, Scott.” Hannah said.

Scott rolled his eyes. “Thanks Hannah.”

“Anytime. I’m going to go pick up my wonderful niece from school since it’s about that time. Do you want me to bring Rachel by here before we head home?” Hannah asked.

“Yeah that’s fine.” Deidre said.

“Okay, I’ll see you two later.” Hannah said exiting the room.

“Have you talked to Dr. West yet? I mean has she come in?” Scott asked.

“Yeah. She met us at the hospital. She wants to get my blood pressure down, of course. But if that doesn’t happen in the next few hours, they’re going to give the babies steroids to help speed up lung development and schedule a cesarean for tomorrow morning.” Deidre explained.

“Okay. Wow, this is earlier than we planned for.” Scott said.

“It’s too early Scott. I’m only at thirty-one weeks. If I could just get to thirty-four or thirty-five…”

“Hey, Deidre calm down. To wait would put yours and the babies’ health in danger. We knew this was a possibility when we came in last week.”

“I know but…”

“Deidre, this is life; it happens.” Scott said.

“I’m scared.” Deidre admitted.

“And you think I’m not?” Scott asked.

Deidre closed her eyes and sighed in defeat. “Why is it that nothing ever seems to go according to plan?” She asked looking over to Scott.

“You know, my mom used to say ‘If you want to hear God laugh, make plans.’” Scott said.

“Well then I’m sure he thinks this is hilarious.”

“Everything is going to be fine.” Scott said trying to reassure himself as well as his wife.

Two days later Deidre and Scott sat in the NICU. Deidre was holding one of twins and Scott was stroking the other through the incubator. A nurse came over and adjusted the tubes of the incubator.

“Both of the girls are doing surprisingly well.” The nurse commented. At three pounds nine ounces and three ponds twelve ounces, both babies were beginning to thrive.

“I’m just happy they’re okay.” Scott said.

Deidre smiled in agreement.

“I’m curious. Have you picked out names yet? Baby Walker A and Baby Walker B sound cute, but I think they need some names.” The nurse laughed.

“We do actually have names picked out. We finally came to an agreement.” Scott said.

“And…” The nurse asked.

“I have, Gabrielle Joi, aka baby A. And my husband is currently bonding with Tessa Grace, baby B.” Deidre replied.

“Those are very pretty names.”

“I think so. Scott wanted to go with Harley and Marley.” Deidre said.

“Hey, there is nothing wrong with rhyming names.”

Deidre raised an eyebrow. She was never too fond of the idea of naming her child after a motorcycle.

“So where was the compromise?” The nurse asked.

“I got to choose the middle names,” Scott explained. “If it had been completely left to me their names would be Harley Joi and Marley Grace.”

The nurse smiled at the couple and walked away.

Scott looked over to his wife whose attention was once again completely focused on the infant in her arms. “Are you absolutely sure we can’t name them Harley and Marley?” He asked again.

“No, Scott” Deidre said firmly.

Scott laughed. “I was kidding. Besides. I think Tessa and Gabrielle fit them perfectly.”

Deidre smiled. “I’d have to agree.”

 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Sadly, we are getting close to the end.