Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

It was February, a month since the night in the bar, when Scott bought drinks for Deidre and Emi. And he was now, walking through the halls of Seattle Regional looking for someone who would be interested in going bowling with him that night.

Over the course of four weeks, Scott laid the foundation for new relationships with Emi and Deidre. The first couple of weeks, he crashed their almost daily debrief at Solomon’s after work. After a while though, the two women started to look forward to his company. And earlier in the week, Emi and Deidre finally agreed to set up a standing voluntary biweekly bar night with Scott.

So during their first biweekly bar night, Scott challenged the two talented women to a bowling match, men versus women. His neighbor had agreed to join him, Emi and Deidre, but at the last minuet he backed out. So now, Scott needed a new partner. He thought about asking one of the ER attendings he had befriended, but he knew the man had a family and would like to spend one of his few nights off with them. So naturally, when he saw Chase English walking towards him, he decided to ask him.

"Chase," Scott called.

"Hey, Scott. What's up?"

"You don't have plans for tonight do you?"

"Nope,” Chase said. "I am free as a bird."

"Great. You're coming bowling with me tonight."

"I am?"

"Yes you are. I need a partner to beat the ladies."

"You know Scott, usually you want to join the ladies, or bed the ladies not beat them."

“Bed them, really? Bed the ladies. Are we in the 19th century?”

Chase laughed, “Yes, bed them, sleep with them, fuck them. Take your pick.”

"Whatever Chase. This time around I’ll settle for winning a bowling match. These two women are competitive and smug." Scott explained. “It’d be nice to wipe the smiles off of their faces. These are the directions to the alley, meet me there at eight." He handed Chase a piece of paper and then walked off to finish up some paperwork on his last surgery.

 

When Chase arrived at the bowling alley, he was surprised to see Scott standing in front of the lane with Dr. Emi Rodriguez and Deidre James. He did not realize the three of them were friends. While he and Scott had not spent a lot of time together in the past month, Chase did not believe he was that much out of the loop.

As he walked up to the trio he heard Deidre say, "Scott I see you invited Dr. English. Glad you could make it."

"Thanks, Ms. James,” Chase responded.

“Please, it’s Deidre. We aren’t at work.”

“Seriously, he gets to call you Deidre?” Scott asked.

Deidre shrugged her shoulders, “he’s more of a gentleman.”

“That’s your excuse?”

Deidre smiled sweetly at Mark, “Shall we get this show on the road?”

“Fine, whatever.” Scott said as he entered their names into the computers.

Early in the game, Deidre and Emi took the lead leaving their two male companions in the dust. As the game continued, and Scott and Chase continued to fall behind, the lighthearted jokes about their manhood commenced.

“Really gentleman? This is the best you can do?” Deidre joked as she stepped up to bowl.

“You know James, we can go another round after this if you want. We’re just getting warmed up.” Scott laughed.

“I doubt you two will do any better in a second match-up.” Emi supplied.

Deidre nodded her head in agreement before she walked up to the lane and bowled another strike. She walked back to the group and took her seat with a large grin on her face, “I do believe you’re up.” She said to Scott.

“Whatever. Next round James, you’re ass is mine.” Scott said making his way to the ball dispenser.

Deidre and Emi laughed.

“I don’t know if I’m up for another round, guys.” Chase said.

“Why not? I didn’t see your name on the board for any early surgeries.” Emi said.

“Yeah, and I thought you were taking a later shift tomorrow.” Scott said after botching his bowl.

Emi stood up to bowl and Chase responded to the inquiries about his time.

“I’ve got a lot of prep work to do.”

“Prep for what? You don’t have an early surgery, and the one I know you’re doing tomorrow is one you’ve done several times before.” Scott said.

“It is. I’m just gearing up to talk to the chief. I have to be mentally ready to make my case.”

Emi returned to the chairs, and Chase went up to the top of the lane to bowl. When he finished, he had knocked down a total of seven pins. But at that moment his mind was not really on the game.

“Make your case for what?” Deidre asked as she stepped up to bowl. The group was now on their tenth frame.

“I want to talk to him about his impending retirement and who he plans on recommending for his position. I would like for it to be me.” Chase explained.

Deidre came back and sat down confused, “the chief of what?”

“Surgery Deidre, the chief of surgery. Dr. English here wants power, and lots of it.” Emi laughed. “I’m surprised he’s not going for the chief of staff position.” She joked.

“I would, but Dr. Martin isn’t up for retirement yet.”

“Walker, you were talking about that position the other night weren’t you?” Deidre asked.

Scott sat down after bowling his last frame before he responded. “I was. I’m thinking about throwing my hat in the ring too. Can’t hurt to try can it?”

“So you’re serious, about the whole trying for the Chief of Surgery position.” Chase asked.

“Why would I joke about something like that? It’s a great opportunity and a step in the right direction where my career is concerned.”

“Oh,” Chase had nothing more to say and the three sat in silence as they waited for Emi to finish bowling.

“Your turn,” Emi said pointing to Chase before sitting down.

“I’m going to get a bottle of water. Ladies do you want anything?” Scott asked.

Deidre looked up at Scott. She could tell that the way the conversation went was troubling for him. Deidre felt kind of sorry for him. Over the past four weeks, she had come to respect and appreciate Scott more. While he was still a pain in the ass most nights, with his constant flirting and showing up uninvited to her and Emi’s drink nights, he could, on occasion, be a sweet guy and a decent friend. He had proved that time after time at Solomon’s when some man, drunk off his ass, would make an inappropriate pass at her or Emi.

“No, I’m good. What about you Deidre?” Emi asked forcing Deidre out of her own thoughts and back into the real world.

“You know what, I’ll think I’ll go with you. I want to grab something to eat.” Deidre said as she stood up.

Scott smirked as he watched Deidre walk towards him. “Admit it, you’re intrigued by me and you want me.” He joked.

Deidre shook her head. As soon as the man, Scott, began to get sympathy and understanding from Deidre, he would switch back into the Scott Deidre and Emi knew best. “You’re delusional Dr. Walker.” Deidre continued to walk past him toward the concession stand. Somewhat lost in thought again, she smiled sadly to herself. She knew there was an actual man behind the ass that paraded around calling himself Scott. What she did not realize until that evening was that being an ass, was kind of like his protective wall. And when he let it slip, a Scott with some depth showed his face.

“Hey James,” Scott said lightly touching Deidre’s arm. She was once again jolted out of her thoughts.

Slightly disoriented, Deidre turned around to face Scott. “Yeah, what’s up?” She asked.

“Are you okay?” Scott asked concerned. “You looked a little out of it. Care to share your thoughts?”

“I was thinking about all of the work I have to do tomorrow morning. Do you know how many of you arrogant doctors are getting sued each day? It’s like you all decide to get together and screw up.” Deidre joked. “Why do you ask?”

“It’s your turn to order.” Scott pointed out.

“Oh, of course.” Deidre turned back to the counter and placed her order.

As the two walked back to the lanes, they could make out Emi and Chase sitting in the chairs.

“I brought back enough to share Emi,” Deidre said setting a tub of popcorn on the table. “So are we doing another round?” Deidre asked.

“No, Dr. English is leaving because apparently he has a curfew.” Emi said putting her own shoes back on.

Deidre looked at Chase’s feet and saw that he too had changed shoes. So she sat down and began to take her bowling shoes off as well.

When they had all changed back into their street shoes and returned their bowling shoes, the group of four made their way outside.

“Gentlemen, this was fun; but I’m parked over there. I’ll see you around. ‘Night Emi.” Deidre said as she separated from the group.

“This was nice, but I think we could benefit by having more people join us. We should make it some kind of team building thing next time. Maybe have a match of the residents verses the attendings. What do you think,” Emi suggested.

“It could be fun.” Scott said.

“I know right? Well think about it guys. Maybe one of you can implement it when you become chief. I’ll see you both tomorrow.” Emi said unlocking her car.

“Scott, you’re okay right?” Chase asked.

“Yeah Chase,” Scott sighed. “I’m fine.”

“Because you don’t seem fine. Over the past half hour you just don’t seem like yourself.”

“Chase, I’m fine. There’s your car; I’ll see you in the morning.” Scott left his friend standing alone by his car.

Later in the evening, after he’d returned home, Scott contemplated what had transpired that evening while drinking a glass of brandy. His mind mulled through the things that were said. He swirled the glass in his hand and watched the brown liquid go in circles. The more he thought about things, the more frustrated he became. Scott had known Chase since the first week of medical school, and he had never doubted their friendship until now, until he realized that Chase did not respect him as a doctor. Even more upset than before, he threw the glass against the wall and watched it shatter.

I’m a damn good surgeon, Scott thought to himself. And I can be serious. When it comes to my work, I am serious.

Getting up from his chair, Scott briefly glanced at the wet wall and the broken glass. He shook his head and left the mess where it was and headed to bed.

As he drifted off to sleep, a few more thoughts swam through his head. He realized that the night was not a complete waste of his time; Scott had fun hanging out with Emi and Deidre. He always knew he could be friends with women; he had a few female friends. But it was different with Emi and Deidre. It was the most different with Deidre. He was attracted to her, and he wanted her; but he was okay with where they were. He was completely fine with just being her friend. But that would not stop him from trying; he could tell she enjoyed their game almost as much as he did.