Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Scott’s apartment was spotless. He had cleared his dining room table of old patient notes and case files. A stack of plates sat on the table waiting to be set in their proper place.

In preparation for the big event, Scott had made sure he did not have any scheduled surgeries later in the day. He was not on-call, so he was able to head home early without the threat of being called away. And that was a good thing because if Scott had stayed at the hospital any longer, he would have done something he would probably regret.

Just before Scott left the hospital he overheard Chase talking with the chief of surgery for what seemed like the tenth time since rumors of the chiefs retirement began to circulate. To Scott, the things Chase was saying were hurtful and uncalled for. Even though, the whole situation pissed him off, Scott was not going to un-invite Chase; their friends were looking forward to seeing him. Instead of confronting Chase about his actions, Scott shook it off and headed home to get ready for the dinner party. He made up his mind to try and not let it affect him.

On his way home from work, Scott stopped by the market to pick up the last of the ingredients he needed to finish preparing the meal. He had placed everything just where he wanted it and was getting ready to start preparing the main dish when there was a knock on the door. It was still quite early in the afternoon, so he was not expecting anyone.

Scott decided to ignore the distraction and he reached for the knife instead of going to answer the door. However, before he was able to cut into the onion he had before him, the person on the other side of the door knocked again. This time they added a little more force. Frustrated and annoyed, Scott put down the knife and headed to the door.

“Look if you’re selling something I’m not buying it,” Scott yelled as he walked over to the door.

“Well, it’s a good thing I’m not selling anything then isn’t it?” The voice on the other side said.

Recognizing Deidre’s voice, Scott smiled and shook his head. He opened the door and stepped aside, allowing his friend to enter his home. Deidre walked inside carrying a large paper bag.

“You’re early.” Scott said closing the door behind her.

“Yeah, well I wanted to make sure you were actually cooking.” Deidre explained as she walked over to the dining room table. She put the bag down and let out a sigh of relief. “Do you know how hard it is to knock on the door while holding a heavy bag?” She asked.

“What’s in the bag anyway?”

“Wine.”

“How many bottles did you bring?”

“Well, I bought six; I wasn’t sure what we were having for dinner.”

“You know James there’s this really cool thing they’ve come up with called a telephone. You could have asked.” Scott suggested walking back in the kitchen area.

Deidre followed him and sat down at the island on a barstool.  “So, what are we having for dinner?” Deidre asked.

“Lasagna.”

“You’re making lasagna?” Deidre said.

“I’m making it from scratch.” Scott said.

“Right, so your boiling lasagna noodles and putting a sauce in a pot before you put it all in a pan.”

“No, I’m making it from scratch. I made the noodles last night and I’m about to start working on the sauce. Do me a favor look in the bottom cabinet over there, pull out the Dutch oven and put it on the stove for me.” Scott directed.

Deidre looked at Scott skeptically, “you have a Dutch oven? Most men don’t even know what they’re called.”

“When your step-father is a chef and your mother is a baker, you have no choice but to learn the proper names of cookware.” Scott said coming over to the stove. He poured in some olive oil and turned up the flame underneath the Dutch oven.

“So, you’re a pretty decent cook then?” Deidre asked.

“Yes I’m a pretty decent cook.”

“I guess that means you don’t need my help then. I’ll just sit back down.”

“I never said that. Here,” Scott said passing an onion, a knife and a cutting board over to her, “you can start chopping this while you sit there.”

As Scott finished putting the last layer on the lasagna, there was a knock at the door. “Hey, James can you get that?”

“Sure.” Deidre got up from where she was intensely watching Scott pull together dinner.

Scott’s apartment had a very open layout. There was only a half wall separating the kitchen from the dining room and living room. So, when Deidre let the gusts in, Scott knew exactly who they were, or at least one of them.

“Ahh… so you offering to cook dinner was not a sham. You really did prepare the meal.” Emi said walking further into the apartment, a handsome Latino man followed her.

“Emi, you made it. Who’s your date?” Scott asked gesturing to the stranger that stood slightly behind Emi.

"This is Miguel Sanchez, he's an old friend who works for my father. He’s in town for the week. I thought it would be nice to have another male at the table.” Emi said.

"It's nice to meet you Miguel."

"Likewise." He said shaking Scott's hand.

“Deidre, it’s nice to see you again.” Miguel said.

“Thanks Miguel. Emi didn’t tell me you were in town.” Deidre said.

“Funny, she didn’t tell me you had moved out here.”

Emi rolled her eyes at her two friends and looked to Scott instead. "So, where’ the wine?" She asked throwing her coat on the back of a chair that was set up around the table."

“It’s right here. James over there thought we needed six bottles.”

“I explained to you I wasn’t sure which type would go well with dinner.” Deidre said trying to defend her actions.

“So you bought six different types?” Emi laughed.

“You know neither of you have to drink any of the wine.” Deidre said pointing to both Emi and Scott.

“I’m joking Deidre.” Emi said.

“I saw you just put a pan in the oven. How long until dinner is ready?” Miguel asked Scott.

“About an hour, but we are still waiting for a few more people to arrive.” Just as he finished his sentence, there was yet another knock on the door.

Scott walked over to let the newest arrivals join the festivities.

“Shri, Becca you guys made it here. I’m assuming you didn’t have any issues finding the place.” Scott said as he hugged each of the women.

Shri was a beautiful Indian woman with shoulder-length wavy hair that she wore pulled into a ponytail. With red hair, green eyes and a smattering of freckles on her face, Rebecca was almost Shri’s complete opposite.

“No problem at all. The GPS brought us straight here.” Shri said taking off her coat. “Um, where can I put this?” She asked looking around the room.

“I’ll take it Shri,” Scott took her coat and put it in the closet.

“And the bathroom is where?” Shri asked.

“Down the hall.” Scott directed her toward a small powder room.

“Well Becca, you haven’t changed in a year. How is that possible?” Emi asked as she walked over to hug Rebecca.

“Really? I’m not even a little bit more tan?” Rebecca asked.

“Maybe a little bit.” Emi said.

 “So Scott,” Rebecca said turning around to face him, “are you going to introduce me to your other guests?”

Scott shook his head, “Dr. Rebecca Long this is Miguel, whom I just met, and Deidre James.”

“Deidre, Miguel it’s nice to meet you both. I’m Rebecca.” She said shaking both of their hands.

“I didn’t realize you knew Emi too.” Deidre said.

“Yeah, I worked out here for awhile about a year ago.” Rebecca said. “I was trying to find something but well…” She let her sentence drop off.

Shri came back from the bathroom wiping her hands together. She looked around the room before speaking. “Well, I only know two people here.” She said.

“You just missed the introductions.” Scott said. “Everybody this is Dr. Shri Khot-Miller. Shri this is Miguel, Emi and Deidre.”

“Nice to meet you all. How does everyone know each other?” Shri asked.

“I’m a surgical resident at the hospital and Deidre works in the legal department. Miguel is one of my childhood friends visiting on business.” Emi explained.

“I see. So what’s your specialty?” Shri asked.

“Orthopedics.”

“A bone and muscle girl.” Shri pointed out.

“Yes. It’s very hands on compared to other specialties.”

“I’m going to go open the wine. Who wants a glass?” Deidre said walking over to the table.

“Could you pour me a glass I’m going to cut up everything for the salad?” Scott said.

“Sure, anyone else?” Deidre asked looking around the room.

While they waited for dinner to finish cooking, the six friends and acquaintances sat talking.

“So how’s life in Vegas?” Scott asked Rebecca.

“You know there’s a saying; what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.” Rebecca laughed.

“That was…” Scott started.

“Corny, I know. Vegas is good. It’s really good. I’m seeing someone.” Rebecca said.

“Really?” Emi asked intrigued.

“Yeah, he’s great; another doctor in our practice.” Rebecca explained.

“What about you Shri, how’s Ben? I’ve been meaning to call him.” Scott asked.

“Ben is good, and the practice is good. Everything is going pretty well.”

“Who’s Ben?” Emi asked.

“Ben’s another one of our med school friends and Shri’s husband.” Scott said.

Looking at her watch Shri said, “I wonder when Chase is going to get here. He’s usually very punctual.”

Scott snorted and sipped his wine. “I’m going to check on dinner.” He said getting up.

By the time dinner was ready to be served, all five guests were very hungry.

“Chase seems to be running pretty late.” Rebecca noted about their missing friend.

“He said he would be here.” Scott said placing the hot pan of pasta on the table.

“I don’t think we should start without him.” Shri said.

“I gave him the same time I gave you guys.” Scott said. “He’s an hour late and I think it’s okay to start without him.”

“Good because I’m hungry and I don’t want to wait.” Deidre said.

Just as everyone began to eat, they were interrupted by a knock on the door. Scott got up from his chair to answer it.

“I’m sorry I’m late,” Chase said walking into the apartment after Scott opened the door.

“You’re very late.” Scott noted as he closed and locked the door.

“I see you guys didn’t wait for me.” Chase sat down in a chair. “Becca, Shri it’s good to see you guys.”

“It would have been nicer if you were on time.” Becca stated.

Scott sat back down in his chair, and he continued eating from his plate.

“I’m impressed Scott. This food is delicious.” Emi said.

“Yeah, Scott here is a great cook.” Chase said.

“Oh my god, yes he is. He’s always been great. Chase do you remember the time we were studying at our apartment…oh god let me think who all was there?” Rebecca started.

“I think I know what you’re talking about. I remember.” Shri said. “Everyone was at our apartment for a study session. We had this huge final coming up. We had nothing in our apartment to eat.”

“You didn’t have nothing in your kitchen,” Scott said. “She’s over exaggerating.”

“Scott’s being modest, I still don’t know how you did it. He made the most fabulous meal out of nothing I’d ever had.” Rebecca finished the story.

“You guys were just hungry.” Scott said.

“Scott, you’re a cocky son of a bitch when it comes to almost everything else,” Chase laughed. “Why are you so modest now?”

Scott said nothing as he looked around the table. All eyes were on him. “Let’s discuss why you’re so late Chase.” Scott said changing the subject.

“That’s a good idea. Your name wasn’t on the board for surgery when I left.” Emi said.

“I know, I was just talking to the chief about some things.” Chase said avoiding eye contact with Scott.

“Oh really? How is the chief?” Rebecca asked. She had fond memories of him from when she had worked at the hospital as well.

“He’s thinking about retiring.” Scott said looking over at Chase.

“Wow, he seems like he’s too young to retire.” Becca said.

“How old is he?” Shri asked.

“Becca the man is in his 60s. That’s the age most people retire.” Scott said.

“I know that but he’s got so much skill and so much more of his life ahead of him.” Becca said.

“I think his wife is sick.” Emi said.

“Oh, wow. That’s sad.” Becca said.

“So, Scott, Chase are either of you putting your name in for the position?”

“I’m going to when the position officially opens. But Chase here, he’s been working on getting chief for a while now. Haven’t you Chase?” Scott asked bitterly.

“All I’ve done is talk to the man to let him know I’m interested in the position.” Chase said.

“Oh you’ve done more than that,” Scott said icily.

Everyone in the room could feel the change in the atmosphere.

“What is that supposed to mean?” Chase laughed nervously.

“I know you want the position, and I’d never ask you not to apply. I respect you as a colleague.” Scott started. “I find nothing wrong with a little healthy competition. But you … What you did is not fair play.” Scott said throwing down his silverware.

The fork hitting the plate made a loud clink making everyone nervous.

“Walker,” Deidre said, the only one brave enough to verbally approach the angered man.

“No, Deidre. It’s fine. I can see I’m not welcome here. I’ll just leave.” Chase said getting up from the dinner table. He grabbed his coat and left.

“Okay, I’m confused now. What just happened?” Miguel asked.

“I’m not entirely sure.” Rebecca answered.

“Earlier I heard that asshole talking to the chief, giving the man reasons why he should hire him instead of anyone else. Chase gave excuses as to why each candidate is wrong for the job. What kind of person does that? He told the chief I was a nice guy and a good surgeon but I was shallow and lacked the depth and seriousness needed of a good chief of surgery.” Scott explained.

“Chase said that?” Shri asked in disbelief.

Scott nodded his head.

“This dinner went south very quickly.” Miguel noted looking around the silent room.

“You know what? I’m sorry guys. I bought sorbet last night let me get it out of the freezer and we can have dessert.” Scott said getting up from the table.

Concerned, Deidre followed him. “You okay?” She asked.

“I’m going to be fine, nothing to worry about. Here.” Scott said handing her the bowls.

Rebecca watched the interaction between Deidre and Scott before she looked over at Emi. “How long have they been dating?” She asked.

Emi laughed, “They aren’t. Deidre refuses to let him take her on a date. I think it’s hilarious.”

Shri smiled. “Scott’s finally met a woman who won’t give into his charms.”

“So, it seems.” Rebecca said.

Scott and Deidre returned to the table with the sorbet and bowls. The rest of the evening went much better than it had while Chase was there. By the end of the night, Rebecca and Shri had befriended Emi, Deidre and Miguel. 

 






Chapter End Notes:

Character photos for Becca and Miguel are in the first chapter.