Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

You get another new chapter tonight because this is probably the most like the original chapter I wrote for the fanfic. Now I have to go to bed so I can get up in four hours to take my mother to the airport so she can go be a superwoman. Enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Deidre James walked into Seattle Regional Monday morning with a smile on her face. When she first agreed to go on a date with Scott, she was hesitant and did not know whether or not she would be doing the right thing. But over the weekend she came to terms with the fact that it would be better to date the man now and see how much he is not right for her as a partner, rather than waiting. Deidre considered Scott a close friend, but from what she had heard of his track record with women, both from him and through the hospital gossip mill, she was fairly certain that if this date turned into a relationship, the relationship would end badly. Hopefully they would be able to maintain their strong friendship through it all.

At Seattle Regional a day never went by without someone talking about the incredibly hot plastic surgeon, Scott Walker. Every nurse that had ever gone on a date with him compared the details of their date with the others. It was like some little club. So as she walked to her next meeting, Deidre James knew she would get a feel for how her date with Scott would go.

As she passed by the nurses’ station, hearing Scott’s name, Deidre slowed down.

"So, Laura have you been on any more dates with Dr. Walker?" asked one nurse. “I mean you told me things seemed promising.”

“Nina that was five months ago. I don’t know what happened. We went on a date…” Laura started.

“Ooh, a date! Tell me about it. I want to compare it to the other nurses’ dates.”

Laura lifted her eyebrow, “Really Nina?”

“I don’t know. His dates are always good suggestions for restaurants to try.”

"Well, we went to the five star Italian restaurant, Sicily. He was charming, which was expected. But he was nice and funny. Not at all how I imagined it would be.” Laura said.

“Did you sleep with him?”

Laura grinned. “Yes, and it was amazing.”

"Every time it’s the same story.” Nina said.

“What do you mean?”

"Takes a girl to dinner at a nice place, charms them and then they’re in bed together.” Nina said.

“I wouldn’t mind re-visiting my story then.” Laura laughed. “I wonder if he’s seeing anyone.”

Deidre shook her head at the conversation and continued on her way to her meeting. At lunch, Deidre met Emi in the cafeteria.

"I have a date," Deidre said before she took the first bite of her salad.

"Really, with who?" Emi asked.

"Our friend Scott."

"Are you serious? When did, no how did you finally give in?" Emi asked in disbelief. “And wait, when did you two become on a first name basis?”

"You didn't show up on Saturday.” Deidre said pointing to Emi with her fork. “We played four games of pool and I won three in a row. Three!” She held up three fingers for emphasis. “I was getting tired of taking all of his money so we made a bet. It was his idea of course. If he won, which he did, I would let him call me by my first name and I'd let him take me out on a date. If he lost, he'd have to stop asking me out. I really didn't think he'd win." Deidre explained.

"Wow, I really did miss something on Saturday didn't I?"

"It's all your fault."

"How is it my fault?"

"If you'd have shown up, I would not be going out on a date with, what do they call him around the hospital, a 'man whore?'" Deidre said.

"It was inevitable that you two would end up going on a date. Besides, I think Scott's changed a little since he received that title." Emi said.

"What do you mean changed? He still flirts with every nurse in this hospital."

"Scott hasn't been on more then a handful of dates in a while.”

"And you know this how?" Deidre asked.

"Just because I don't make it to all of our mini-events, does not mean I don't talk to the man. To be completely honest I think he's tired of living up to the 'man whore' title."

Deidre just rolled her eyes and continued to eat. "It doesn't matter. It's only one date so he'll stop asking me out."

"Riiight," Emi said nodding her head.

"Since you've known him longer, what kind of date should I expect? I heard some nurses talking about fancy restaurants and ballets."

"That sounds about right. He gets all dressed up, takes them out to a fancy restaurant or some artsy thing and then a fancy restaurant. Throughout the night he charms the women, and usually they end up in bed after that." Emi explained.

"Right, well I think I can enjoy the fancy restaurant and 'artsy thing' as you so eloquently put it, but there is no way I'm falling into bed with him, that has disaster written all over it."

Emi shook her head. She had a feeling that what Scott had planned for Deidre James was in no way on of his usual dates. She knew that when he really wanted to be, Scott could be very thoughtful. The fact that she had yet to hear anything about this new development between her friends from Scott himself said a lot. Emi believed that Scott might actually win Deidre over, no matter how hard the confident woman tried to resist.

 

Deidre James would always be an early riser. During the week she woke up early to get to work. On the weekends she woke up early to get stuff done. Saturday morning was no different. She was frustrated. It had been a week since she agreed to go on a date with Scott Walker, but he had not given her any details about when this date would occur. So, when there was a knock on her apartment door at 8:45 am, Deidre was taken aback. She had already been up for two hours and had eaten breakfast. She had not, however, taken a shower and put on clothes. She padded to the door in her navy pajama bottoms and a white tank top. Her brown hair was still wrapped around her head and she wore black-rimmed glasses, which rarely ever left her apartment.

As she looked through the peephole, Deidre groaned, on the other side stood a smiling Scott Walker. She pulled open the door and gave him her patented death glare. "What the hell are you doing here at 8:45 on a Saturday morning?"

Scott smiled. "I'm picking you up for our date. But obviously you need to get ready." He said, as he looked her over.

Deidre stared at him in disbelief. She could not believe that this man was taking her out in the morning. From what he was wearing she assumed that this would be a casual date. He looks nice, she thought to herself as her eyes ran over his outfit. He wore a pair of dark wash blue jeans, a white button up shirt with the top button undone along with his trademark leather jacket. Okay so he is down right sexy, she corrected her thoughts. And I’m standing here looking like a homeless person.

"And what exactly should I wear on this date?" She asked.

"Something comfortable and no heels." Scott said letting himself into her home. He sat on her sofa and she rolled her eyes.

"Fine, but it'll take me an hour to get ready."

"Works for me. I see you've got a TV, there should be something good on." Scott picked up the remote and flipped through the channels.

An hour later, Deidre stepped out of her room and into the living area where Scott was sitting. "I'm ready," she said pulling her own brown leather jacket over her shoulders. Underneath the jacket was a plum colored fitted dress shirt that she dressed down with dark blue boot cut jeans.

"Great. Let's get going." Scott smiled as he got up from where he was sitting and turned off the TV. Deidre picked up her purse and the two were out the door.

Scott drove for about ten minuets before Deidre began to get curious. "So, where exactly are we going?" She asked.

"I'm not going to answer that question."

"Why not?"

"You know Deidre there's this new concept where you don't find out any information until it is given to you. It's called a surprise." Scott said.

"So are you not telling me because you don't know or because you think I won't like it?"

"Neither. I know exactly where we're going and I know you will enjoy it." Scott smiled.

Deidre rolled her eyes and threw her back into the seat. "I don't do surprises very well, so you might as well just tell me already."

"Sorry, Deidre but you'll have to wait and see."

Scott drove for another twenty minuets before they reached their destination. Both Deidre and Scott stepped out of the car. Deidre looked around at the nearly empty parking lot. "Scott, I think you've got your days mixed up. There's no one here."

"There is someone here and I didn't get my days mixed up. Leave your bag in the car." He said as he put on a pair of sunglasses.

Deidre did as she was told and followed Scott into the speedway. She looked around and spotted a few guys standing at one of the pit stops next to a racecar. Deidre looked at Scott with a huge smile on her face. "You're kidding me right?" She asked excited.

"Nope not kidding.” Scott smiled and shook his head. “Why are you excited?"

"Scott," one of the men yelled out as he walked up to the couple "How are you doing?"

"I'm good Jon, this is Deidre James. Deidre, Jon Martin he's a friend.” Scott introduced the two of them.

"Nice to meet you Jon," Deidre said extending her hand.

"Likewise. So, have you ever driven one of these cars before?" Jon asked.

"No, although I've always wanted to." Deidre said.

"Alright then. We'll start off giving you a basic driving lesson and then we'll take it from there. Scott's done this a couple of times before."

"It's been a while though Jon. I've gotten pretty busy lately." Scott said.

"Yeah well, let's get you suited up and we'll start the lesson, how does that sound?"

"Perfect." Deidre followed Jon as he showed her everything she needed.

By the time Scott and Deidre had finished up at the speedway, it was close to one o'clock and both of them were hungry. They said their goodbyes to Jon and the rest of the crew and they got in the car.

"So," Scott said. "Are you hungry?"

Deidre looked over to Scott and smiled, "What do you think?"

"I take that as a yes. What are you in the mood for?" He asked as he started the car.

"It doesn't really matter to me. I haven't eaten since you abruptly arrived at my apartment and kidnapped me."

"I did not kidnap you. You voluntarily got into this car. Besides, you have to admit you had fun." Scott said.

"I will neither confirm nor deny that statement."

"Because you had fun." Scott said.

Deidre remained tight-lipped and looked out the window.

“You’re such a lawyer sometimes.”

"So where are you taking me to eat?"

"Well, since you don't have a taste for anything in particular, I'm going to take you to this little Indian restaurant I know of. They have some of the best Tandoori chicken." Scott said.

"Sounds good."

The two rode the rest of the way to the restaurant conversing about everything and nothing at the same time. As they entered the restaurant they were playing twenty-one questions.

"Okay, it's my turn. What sport did you play in high school?" Scott asked after they were seated.

"Believe it or not I played field hockey and lacrosse." Deidre replied.

“Really?” Scott asked surprised.

“I went to a private school. What about you, what sport did you play?"

"I didn't play a sport." Scott said.

"You expect me to believe that?"

"I did not play a sport in high school. I was a band geek, although I did play, what some would consider, the 'cooler' instrument." Scott said as they made their way to the buffet.

When they both returned to the table, they picked up the game where they left off. "What instrument did you play?" Deidre asked.

"I played the drums." He said taking a bite of his chicken. "When you were little, what type of pet did you want?"

"You're not going to believe me."

"Doesn't matter. You still have to answer the question." He said pointing the fork at her.

"I always wanted a Siberian White tiger." She said looking down into her plate. Scott just smiled at her. "What about you? What type of animal did you want?"

"I wanted an emu."

"You're kidding right." Deidre laughed nearly spitting her food out of her mouth.

"Nope."

"Why did you want an emu?"

"They ware very interesting animals and I found them exotic in a way. My turn. What is your biggest fear?"

"I am terrified of heights."

"Really?"

"Yep."

"That's it? You're afraid of heights? Almost everyone is afraid of heights Deidre."

"I have lived here, for five months and still haven’t been up in the Space Needle. I lived in Chicago for most of my life, and I’ve been to Navy Pier several times, but I have never ridden on the Ferris Wheel, or any Ferris Wheel for that matter." Deidre explained.

"But you do fly right?"

"Yeah, for some reason, flying is easy for me."

"You’re so tough; I never pegged you for someone afraid of heights." Scott said.

"Well everyone has their weaknesses right?” Deidre said taking a bite of rice. “What is your greatest fear then?"

"I'm not going to answer that one." Scott said.

"I answered it when you asked."

"My greatest fear is more personal, besides, it doesn't matter." Scott said. "Next question."

"No, I want to know. What is your greatest fear, Scott?"

"Are you finished eating? Because if you are, we can go." Scott said taking the up the bill the waiter had left.

Deidre stood and followed him to the front where he paid for the meal. They walked to the car in silence. The ride back to Deidre's apartment was also quiet. Deidre wanted to know what it was that Scott was so afraid of that he refused to tell her.

When they got back, Scott walked his date up to her apartment. "So, did you have a good time?" He asked as he leaned against her doorframe.

"Yeah I had a lot of fun. This was not what I was expecting."

"What were you expecting then?"

"Well I talked with Emi…"

"Big mistake on your part," Scott interrupted.

Deidre rolled her eyes and continued with what she was about to say. "She said you tend to take women out to and I quote 'some artsy thing and an expensive restaurant.'"

"Usually, with other women I do." Scott said.

"Then why didn't you?"

"Because, you're not like the other women I ask out. You're my friend and I like to think I know you. I know what you like." He explained.

"Well then, I guess I should thank you for taking me out on a 'custom' date."

"It was my pleasure. Are you up for doing this again?” Scott asked. “Can I go ahead and plan another 'custom date'?"

"I'll think about it. But if I say yes, you have to promise you'll tell me what you're afraid of Scott."

"What is it with you and ultimatums?” Scott asked.

“I like to get what I want.” Deidre said.

Scott smirked, “I will, perhaps tell you about my greatest fear, maybe one day."

Deidre smiled. “That’s not a definitive answer.”

“What can I say? I’m good at being vague.” Scott laughed

"That’s not always a good thing.”

Scott shrugged his shoulders.

“Goodnight Dr. Walker. I'll see you on Monday morning." Deidre said laughing and shaking her head.

"You know you want me James." Scott smiled as he walked down the hall backwards.

She watched him leave. The moment he disappeared from her sight, she felt someone dimmed the lights. Deidre James was beginning to fall for Scott Walker, and she did not like that idea. Not because she did not like Scott, but rather she was afraid of what would happen if he broke her, because she had a feeling he was the only one who could.