Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

Scott Walker awoke to the sound of hospital monitors and a couple of whispering voices. He tried to get up, but even the initial move of his muscles caused him pain. He could make out two shadowy figures standing at the foot of his bed. One was a female with dark shoulder length hair who stood a few inches shorter than the blurred man next to her. 

Despite his blurry vision, Scott could make out a few details of each figure. The man wore standard blue hospital issued scrubs with a white lab jacket and the woman was dressed in black pinstriped slacks and a white blouse with a large floppy black bow.

"How is he?" The question came from the woman.

"We won't be sure how bad the damage is until he wakes up. The good news is that he hasn’t slipped into a coma," answered the male figure.

 "Well, how long until he wakes up?"

 "It could be a couple of more hours, or it could be…" A groan from the patient in question interrupted the conversation.

Scott fully opened his eyes. As his vision began to clear, he started to recognize his surroundings. He was in a hospital, Seattle Regional to be precise. The white lab coat the doctor, the male figure standing in the room, wore had “SRH” stamped onto the chest pocket.

The doctor, who was currently shining a light into Scott’s eyes, was the hospital’s top neurosurgeon and his colleague, Chase English. Off to the side stood Deidre James; she was the newest of the hospital’s attorneys. She looked distressed but at the same time relieved; Scott could not figure out why. It was almost like she had come close to loosing her best friend.

"How do you feel Scott?" Chase asked putting the light into his jacket pocket.

"My chest is sore,” Scott moved slightly in an effort to make himself more comfortable, “okay it hurts, but not as much as my head. My head hurts.” Scott said putting his right hand to his head. “It hurts a lot.”

"Yeah, well that's what happens when the airbags misfire and your head crashes into a steering wheel. You’re actually pretty lucky. Though they didn’t deploy fully, the airbags kept you from being in worse shape than you’re already in." Chase said.

"What do you mean, 'crashes into a steering wheel'? What are you talking about" Scott asked confused.

"Scott, you were in a car accident last night." Deidre finally said breaking her prolonged silence. She moved closer to the bed and took his left hand into both of hers. "You were unconscious when they brought you to the hospital two nights ago"

Scott looked at Deidre; she was tightly gripping his hand. He was baffled by her actions; he clearly remembered Deidre informing him that she did not have romantic relationships with coworkers.

"James, are you okay?" Scott asked.

Deidre was taken aback by his tone and the use of her last name. It was as if he was insinuating she was behaving strangely. "I'm perfectly fine Scott. Why?"

"Well for one thing, you're holding my hand. After what you said, when you left with Emi, I think this crosses some sort of line. Don't you think?" Scott explained.

Deidre looked at Chase and shook her head. She then let go of his hand. Defeated, she sat down in the chair furthest from the bed.

"Scott, what is the last thing you remember?" Chase asked.

"I walked out of the hospital and I was on my way to Joe's to crash Emi and James's girl night when I heard a car accident happen down the street."

Chase looked over at Deidre and she shrugged her shoulders.

"What else do you remember from that day?" Chase asked.

"Why do you keep asking about ‘that day’ like it was awhile ago. It was just a couple of days ago, right?” Scott asked.

“Could you just answer the question?” Chase pushed for an answer.

Scott took a minute before he started to describe a memorable moment from the day. “Yeah, two days ago,” he said putting strong emphasis on the words ‘two days ago’ before he continued  “was your first day James. You got the Lewis family to drop the case against the hospital. I don’t know how you did it. You were ruthless, but you were so nice about it. Watching the whole thing was sickeningly sweet.”

"Do you remember anything else?" inquired Chase.

Scott shook his head.

Chase looked at Deidre sympathetically. Deidre tried to remain composed, but she was failing miserably. Looking at her, Scott could see the woman’s world crashing down around her and he was not sure why.

"That was seven years ago, Scott." Chase explained.

It was Scott's turn to feel out of place. “This is some sick joke right?” He asked looking from one face to the other. Scott used his left hand to wipe his eyes as if he were trying to get something out of them. He then looked away from the two disappointed people and down at his hands. He noticed the silver band on his left ring finger; it was hard not to. Scott stared at the offending piece of jewelry confused. He looked over to Deidre, who was watching him intently.

Deidre stood up and walked back to him and stood by his side. She played with her own wedding rings. "We've been married for five years Scott."