Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Kind of short, but here it is...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


 

A week later Scott was on the elevator flirting with yet another nurse, this time she had blonde hair. When the elevator stopped, the nurse rolled her eyes and got off and another woman stepped on.

“Well, we meet again.” Scott said.

Deidre looked at the plastic surgeon and rolled her eyes. The man was gorgeous with his blue eyes, salt and pepper hair accompanied by the whole “unshaven I don’t give a shit but I really do” look. But from their one brief encounter, she could tell that he was probably some kind of pompous dick with a need to fuck any woman he met. And really she was not going for that. She was not that type of woman.

“It seems we do.” Deidre looked up at the flashing numbers praying for the elevator to move more quickly.

“Did you get the job?” Scott asked curiously. He wanted to know if he’d be seeing more of her.

“Yes. Today is technically my first day, but really I’m just going floor to floor to meet all of the department heads.”

“So I’ll be seeing you around?” Scott asked.

“I guess you might.”

“Then you won’t mind going out with me, just to get to know me as one of the surgeons, of course.”

“Look, Dr. Walker you seem like a nice guy,” to be perfectly honest Deidre kind of considered him to be somewhat of a man whore, but she wasn’t going to tell him that. “And your kind of attractive," another lie, she thought the man was a sexy beast (yes an educated woman such as she did use such terms)."But, I don’t date the people I work with. It’s easier that way. If I keep work life and personal life separate, then I can be sure there’ll be less drama.”

“You don’t have to call me Dr. Walker. And we technically don’t work together. I’m on the surgical staff, you are a lawyer.” Scott pointed out.

“Okay then, Walker, when you get your W2s does it say Seattle Regional Hospital where it says place of employment?” For her own personal satisfaction, Deidre refused to call him by his first name.

“Yes, James it does.” Scott said, two could play at her little game.

“So, will mine. Therefore, we work together.” As if by some act of god, at that exact moment the elevator binged and the doors opened up. Deidre smiled, “this is where I get off. Have a nice day.” She waved, stepped off the elevator and walked down the hall never once looking back.

---------------------

Scott walked out into the night after an easy day at the hospital. Three weeks had passed since his first encounter with Deidre James. Two weeks had passed since she had officially started working for the hospital, and given him her excuse as to why she did not want to date him.

As he stepped into the bar, it seemed as if every woman looked up to watch his entrance. Spotting two familiar heads, both with dark hair, he made his way over to their table in the back and sat down with them. "Hello ladies," he said. "Imagine meeting you here." He smirked at his own cleverness.

"Scott this is Solomon's, the closest bar to the hospital, of course you'd run into us here." Emi explained.

Deidre rolled her eyes and took a sip of her drink, "What is it that you want Walker," she asked annoyed. Over the two weeks she had worked at the hospital, Deidre somehow managed to run into Scott seven out of the ten days she was there. And each of those seven times, neither gave up their game of last names only.

"Why do I have to want anything? Can I not just come out for a beer after work and happen to run into two of my friends?"

"I would not consider us friends." Deidre said taking another long sip.

"But you do find me attractive," he said suggestively.

"Unfortunately, that is true."

"That hurts, James."

"Well the truth hurts."

"What about you Emi, do you consider me a friend?"

"Can I say we are on the way to friendship?" Emi asked.

"That works. So, I find nothing wrong with having a beer with an almost friend and a colleague who is attracted to me."

"That whole statement just sounds wrong Scott." Emi laughed. Deidre joined in and nodded her head in agreement as she took another sip from her drink.

"I'll tell you what Walker, you go buy us another round of drinks, and I'll consider becoming your friend." Deidre said as she placed her almost empty glass back on the table.

"All right then. I'll be back." Scott stood up from the table and went to the front where the bar was and bought another round of drinks for his almost friend and his colleague that found him attractive.