Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

I decided that this year and next I’d try to finish all the stories I’ve started and left to gather dust in addition to the new stories I might want to write.  Starting with this one.  I wrote this sometime after I watched the episode, Timeless, because there were never enough stories about Claudia.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Claudia Jardine, concert pianist and fledging immortal, touched at the jewel covered pin holding her hair.  Delicate fingers traveled from her hair to the folds of her dress, straightening invisible wrinkles as she waited for her introduction.  Briefly she acknowledged the faint queasiness she was experiencing as nervous energy, pre-concert jitters, not allowing herself to dwell on the real reason.   The jarring buzz signaling the presence of another immortal pounded against her temples as she stepped from behind the heavy velvet curtain and onto the stage.  It was too late to turn back so with head slightly bowed and eyes closed, Claudia waited for the sensation to abate.  The immortal warning signal was still an uncomfortable burn along her nerve endings, but the time it took for her to recover from its effect was becoming shorter.  The audience took her bowed head as an acknowledgement of their presence and in return gave her several moments of thunderous applause.  Recovered, Claudia walked toward her piano searching the row upon row of human faces.  Not finding the face she hoped the immortal signature belonged to, she sat down at the ancient grand.  Her growing self awareness of all things immortal told her that the buzz did not belong to an enemy at least not one willing to attack her in a crowded auditorium.

 

 

 

Sitting motionless on the cool wood of the piano bench, Claudia stared intently at the gleaming black and white keys. In quiet the audience waited patiently, expecting from Claudia Jardine a performance worthy of her growing reputation for providing the grand and unexpected.  Claudia felt no fear of the unseen immortal.  The fear she did feel was an old adversary; one momentarily defeated each time she sat in front of an audience.  Fear that she would not be able to express adequately the beauty she knew waited within each piece of music.    Once her fingers lifted to touch the keys, the fear and all thoughts of unknown immortals vanished.

 

 

 

As the last strains of Stevie Wonder's "Never Dreamed You'd Leave in Summer," were swallowed up in ear deafening applause, Claudia watched her fingers tremble slightly against the material covering her legs.   This was the saddest time for her, the end of each performance when she had to refocus from that ‘place’ where the music transported her.  Her body firmly locked in the present responded automatically, her legs pushed her upward and away from the piano.  She turned and along with the audience clapped for the artist who had provided the vocals to the song.  Her head bowed in response to the audience's continued applause.  After a few more moments Claudia was fully aware.  With one final bow she left the stage.   Her face carried a small intimate smile.  Not only has she given another brilliant performance, but the proceeds for the night were to be donated to a charity of her choice and seating has been sold out.   She'd worked hard these last eleven months, learning to appreciate what becoming immortal had worked within her.  It has poked vast holes in the facade she had built around herself during the mortal years of her youth.  Walls of condescension and self-importance to protect the fragile parts of her psyche that had thicken with each rejection from foster parents and potential adoptive parents.  Now, only when she felt trapped or betrayed did she fall back into the old persona, the "spoiled brat syndrome," as Duncan once called one of her performances.  The truth was that the need for acting out happened less and less often.  She was learning that there were other ways to cope.  The world around her was beginning to hold unlimited possibilities.

 

 

 

Claudia bowed one last time then walked across the stage followed by a chorus of "bravos, job well done, and beautiful," that lasted until she reached the stairs leading to the dressing rooms.  There she stopped, her hands rising to massage the pressure points at her temples as the buzz began again.  As the sensation faded she waited for the bearer of the signature to confront her.  Duncan had pounded one truth into her awareness. Even though she was not an active participant in the game, her life would be in danger from the constant threat of being challenged by another immortal.  So far none had sought to do so.  Claudia believed that it was only because word had spread that she was the protégé of Duncan MacLeod, defender of all things good and Joe Dawson’s standing in the watcher hierarchy had kept her safe thus far. 

 

 

 

"You summoned, my lady?"  The smooth baritone was followed by all 6 ft 4 in.  of Duncan MacLeod, who stepped out of a small alcove to stand beside her.

 

 

 

Claudia let a companionable silence rest between then as she took in the minute changes in Duncan.  "Yes, I did."  Her tone having none of the haughtiness Duncan was used to.

 

 

 

"You're getting better." Duncan said, referring to her playing which had suffered with her rebirth as an immortal.

 

 

 

"Thank you," Claudia replied.

 

 

 

Duncan glanced down at the hand lightly gripping the sleeve of his tuxedo jacket.

 

 

 

"For coming to the performance.  I wasn't sure that you would."

 

 

 

Leaning down Duncan placed a gentle kiss at the corner of her mouth.  "I'm here."  His eyes searched Claudia's face, seeing all the stages of her development, from shy and repressed adolescent, to snobbish sophisticate, to the self-assured woman standing before him.  Claudia returned his scrutiny.   For a moment in his eyes she recognized a glimpse of the old Claudia and a small frown of regret crossed her face at the thought that it had taken her this long to understand how selfishly she had led her life.

 

 

 

Noise from the approaching crowd broke the bubble of intimacy between them and Claudia reluctantly pulled her gaze away to greet Mr. Vixon, the theatre's director, who was among the first to reach them. 

 

 

 

"Ah, Claudia, another extraordinary performance."  He took her hand in his own, his lips brushing against the back of it.  "We've set up the reception line in the Center.  If you and your guest would follow me, I promise to make this as painless as possible."

 

 

 

Claudia sighed and Duncan readied himself for her usual tangent.  The explosion did not happen, Claudia only reaction was to simply tighten her grip on his arm.  "Duncan will have to leave soon, but I’m hoping he can stay for a short time."

 

 

 

Duncan looked confused not prepared for the display of maturity he was witnessing.  Claudia taking his hesitation for reluctance pulled on his arm.  "Please come help me get through this."

 

 

 

With a grin on his face Duncan nodded his agreement and followed Claudia and the director.  "Claudia Jardine, actually used the word, please," Duncan said looking over at the man walking on the other side of Claudia.  "We need to record this for posterity."

 

 

 

"Duncan."  Claudia's voice held an obvious warning.

 

 

 

An hour later Duncan looked to his right down the line of people still waiting to meet Claudia.   He was still having difficulty reconciling the high strung diva he'd known for years with the woman who for the past hour had shaken hands, smiled and graciously signed whatever pieces of paper were shoved at her. His tired mind searched for some activity to keep it busy.  Looking down at the mass of curls precariously held together by several large decorated hair pins.  The bored part of him dared him to pull out just one, while his common sense reminded him of the dire consequences, should Claudia revert to type.    His mind thus occupied he was surprised by a tap on the side of his leg.   Frown in place he turned slightly to see who had touched him.  His first sight was of a well manicured hand swinging a rather ornate walking cane. 

 

 

 

"You must be so proud of her."

 

 

 

Claudia looked back at Duncan then at the small figure speaking.  Her gaze went back to Duncan, watching his face as he answered the question.

 

 

 

"Yes, I am."  He said straight-faced.  His eyes holding Claudia’s before focusing on the woman of perhaps seventy-five.

 

 

 

“Mrs. Stoutermier…” Claudia began the introductions.

 

 

 

“You’re to always call me Emily, remember?”

 

 

 

Claudia kissed the cheek offered.

 

 

 

“Emily, this is Duncan MacLeod.  Friend and benefactor.  Duncan this is Emily Stoutermier, friend and teacher in all things mischievous”

 

 

 

Under Mrs. Stoutermier’s gaze Duncan felt as if he was being slowly analyzed and catalogued.  

 

 

 

”So this is Duncan?”

 

 

 

Claudia’s head moved closer to the elderly woman.  “I’ll tell you a secret, Emily.  I’m proud of him too.  You won’t believe how he has helped me get through some of my practices.”

 

 

 

“Claudia!” It was Duncan's turn to be shocked.

 

 

 

The two women smiled at each other in a moment of shared understanding.

 

 

 

“More importantly,” Claudia’s hand patted the frail hand she held in her own, “what are you doing out?  Stephen told me, when I phoned that your doctor had confined you to bed rest…”

 

 

 

“Yadda, yadda, yadda.  I know I’m being uncooperative and Stephen has probably called all my friends by now, trying to track me down.  But two days in that room was enough.”

 

 

 

“You don’t treat that man right.”

 

 

 

“He enjoys every moment.”  The women’s laughter caught the attention to the others in the room.

 

 

 

“You’ve had enough fun for tonight,”  Claudia said as she wrapped Emily’s arm around her own and led her to a chair near a bank of windows.  “I’m calling Stephen.  I want you to stay here and keep Duncan company for me.”

 

 

 

Claudia held out her hand toward Duncan who pulled his cell phone from his jacket and handed it to her in answer to her silent request. She walked away from the two, dialing on the black square of plastic.   Every few moments she would glance back, glad to see Emily and Duncan deep in conversation.  Phone call finished she walked back to them.    “Stephen is downstairs he figured you’d come here.”

 

 

 

Mrs. Stoutermier, stood slowly with Duncan’s help.  “Smart lad.  Well I guess I must prepare to apologize profusely.”  She patted Claudia’s arm.  “Thank you for another wonderful evening,”  Her glance moved from Duncan to Claudia, “and may we all share many more.”

 

 

 

“Amen,” Claudia said quietly.

 

 

 

Duncan bowed slightly in Emily’s direction.  “Thank you for the blessing dear lady.”

 

 

 

“Ham,” Claudia said with a hint of humor in her voice.

 

 

 

Duncan didn’t take the bait instead he offered his arm to Mrs. Stoutermier.  “Let me escort you to your car.”

 

 

 

Emily pulled Claudia closer. “Hear me, Claudia Jardine, you need to start taking better care of yourself.  Time passes too quickly for us mere mortals.  Find yourself someone or something other than just your piano to be happy with." 

 

 

 

She watched Claudia's face grow somber then brighten with a forced smile.  It was that smile of strength and sadness that had drawn her to Claudia more than six years ago when she’d watch her play for the first time.   Claudia has reminded her of too many of her friends, herself included who head wrapped themselves in careers, social cycles and occasional lovers.  They had deserved more and she was determined that there would be more for her young friend.

 

 

 

Claudia avoided looking at Duncan as he  witness to Emily's flawed reasoning in regard to her mortality.  Throughout their friendship she hadn’t the words to tell Emily why the passing of time had little significance for her anymore.    "I love you Emily-Mischievous."  Claudia said as she kissed the wrinkled brow.

 

 

 

"And I, you."  Emily said holding out her hand to Duncan.

 

 

 

Once they were out of the crowded room and hallway, Duncan could not help but hear Emily’s labored breathing.   Her admonishment to Claudia earlier gave him a momentarily pang of helplessness.    He could not keep Claudia from being hurt by Emily's impending death.  Nor could he keep Emily from unnecessarily worrying about Claudia's future.   He was so focused on his thoughts that he missed her question.  The rap of her cane against his leg for the second time gained his attention.

 

 

 

"You and that cane are a dangerous mixture." Duncan winced, rubbing at the sting. 

 

 

 

Emily's laughter took years off her face.  “Point taken.  Now that I have your attention, how long have you known "my" Claudia?” 

 

 

 

Duncan did not miss the challenge in her tone.  His steps did not hesitate nor did he ignore her meaning.  "Your Claudia and I have been acquainted since she was fourteen. Her foster parents were seeking help in finding a willing instructor to guide her emerging talent.    A school counselor referred her to a friend of mine and I meet Claudia during a lesson.

 

 

 

Emily grew quiet as she calculated his possible age.  Duncan MacLeod had a maturity that spoke of required time and past experience.   She chose to ignore the conflict determined to gain the information she wanted from Claudia’s benefactor.

 

 

 

“What does she mean to you?”

 

 

 

Duncan hesitated.  “Beautiful possibilities.”

 

 

 

Hearing the promises in his voice she squeezed the arm underneath her fingers in agreement.  The remainder of the walk to the large glass entrance doors was completed in silence.  Outside highlighted by powerful floodlights, Duncan saw a young man in cut-off blue jeans heading toward the front doors.  Seeing the two he hurried to take Duncan’s place at Emily’s side

 

 

 

.“Ready, Aunt Emmie?” 

 

 

 

Emily grinned at the youthful face.  “Duncan, I’d like for you to meet my nephew, Stephen.  Stephen, Duncan MacLeod.  Duncan is a close friend of Claudia.” 

 

 

 

The two men shook hands.  "Fantastic.  Lady Claudia is one of my favorite persons.”

 

 

 

Duncan smiled.  Whatever he would have said was lost as Stephen with a quick breath continued.  Sometimes she is one of the few people that can talk Auntie into acting like an adult." 

 

 

 

Duncan watched Stephen walked Emily to the car and tenderly helped her inside.  He listened with amusement as Stephen made futile threats about calling her doctors and hiring a very large bodyguard to sleep across her doorway.    As Stephen walked around to the drivers' side of the car, Emily motioned Duncan closer.  At the car door Duncan knelt down to be on eye level.  “She's alone too much and she’s working herself too hard.  See what you can do about that, okay?”

 

 

 

Duncan smiled.  “I’ll do my best.”   Duncan stood up to allow Stephen to drive away.   The car set idling for a few seconds causing Duncan to wonder if something was wrong.   He stepped forward when Stephen's head popped up on the driver's side.  "Mr. MacLeod."

 

 

 

"Yes."

 

 

 

"I promised this to Lady Claudia.  Give it to her for me."  Stephen handed a package to Duncan.

 

 

 

"My pleasure," said Duncan.

 

 

 

Duncan joined Claudia who stood talking with Mr. Vixon outside the reception room she acknowledged his return with a small smile.    Over her shoulder Duncan peaked inside the doorway.   He could see that the crowd had thinned considerably and Mrs. Stoutermier’s words came back to him.  Looking back at Claudia he could see that her shoulders slumped a little and that she kept stepping in and out of her high heels.

 

 

 

“Mr. Vixon, I apologize for interrupting, but it’s time for Claudia to get some rest.  I’m taking her home.”  Duncan slid his hand along the back of Claudia’s elbow and applied just enough pressure to get her moving.   Claudia bid Mr. Vixon goodnight and let Duncan guide her away.

 

 

 

In the massive dressing room mirror Claudia watched the elegantly cut Stacy Adams at the end of Duncan’s leg swing back and forth over the arm of the loveseat.   Her eyes followed the outward bulge of anklebone, to the curve of calf, to thigh, hastily pass the slight bulge at crotch, to chest and finally to his eyes.   Looking away Claudia focused on her own reflection in the suddenly overly bright mirror.   In that moment every wrinkle she had was emphasized.  She was tired.  Her feet hurt and even her hair felt heavy.   She pulled hairpins from the mass of upswept curls.   Large curls dropped onto her shoulders, but the bulk of her hair stayed in place held by a single pin shaped like a musical note.    With a few steps Duncan stood behind her and with the smoothness of centuries of practice he pulled the remaining pin from her hair.   Standing there he twirled the jeweled object between his fingers.  “Okay, are you ready to tell me why I was summoned?”

 

 

 

Claudia said nothing, as she analyzed once again her motive and Duncan’s possible reaction. Her eyes shifted from the hairpin in his hand to the deep chocolate brown orbs patiently watching her.  She had, demanded in her phone call that he fly across a continent to see something that she could have photographed and emailed.  Now is not the time to become little ‘Ms. I Don’t Know What I Want.’” Claudia commanded her wavering courage.

 

 

 

Straightening her shoulders in a manner that would have made a marine proud, Claudia began her rehearsed speech.  “You're here because there is something I want you to see.”  She gathered up various items on the dressing table include the package Duncan had given her from Stephen. 

 

 

 

“And?” Duncan said breaking the silence.

 

 

 

“And, I want to treat you to a drink and dinner before your flight back.”

 

 

 

“That’s all?”  He asked, suspicion creeping into his tone.

 

 

 

Signing gently Claudia turned in the chair to face him.  “Partly.   Sit down, Duncan."  Claudia waited until he had folded himself on the plush seat. "I know that this has been a difficult year for you and I wanted...I thought it was time that I pamper you for once.” 

 

 

 

Duncan found himself smiling, intrigued with Claudia's statement.  “What kind of pampering did you have in mind?”

 

 

 

Claudia looked down at her toes digging into the lush carpet.   “I’m hungry, let’s start with dinner.”

 

 

 

“You don’t do mysterious well.”  Duncan stood his hand at her elbow, surprised at how much he was enjoying her attempt.

 

 

 

“I know.”  Claudia guided Duncan through a maze of parking levels until they stood before a slick forest green Alpha Spider.  Her hand at the middle of his back guided him to the passenger’s side door.  The sound of a double click and several musical notes announced that the doors were unlocked and opening the door Claudia motioned for Duncan to get in.  He looked up at her from where he sat, legs still outside the car.  “I’ll have you know, I’m not a cheap or easy date.” Duncan said in a fair W.C. Fields’ impression.

 

 

 

“Just get in and ride.”   Inside the car as she adjusted her seating, Claudia could feel Duncan’s staring at her.  “What?”

 

 

 

Duncan ticked off points with his hand.  One, you're driving your own car.  Two, all night long you’ve been considerate and kind.  Three, you haven’t whined once tonight. And four, where are we going?”

 

 

 

“Outa here.”  Claudia said as she pulled out of the parking garage.   Pushing several buttons on the overhead panel, Claudia listened as the sunroof rolled back letting in the cool air.  Next to her, Duncan closed his eyes and relaxed into the seat.

 

 

 

Traffic thinned as the Spider moved further out of town into the growing quiet  of rural countryside.  Claudia stole quick glances at Duncan and even though his eyes were closed and he looked at rest she knew a part of him was always aware of his surroundings.

 

 

 

Waiting at the intersection for the light to change, Claudia's eyes shifted back and forth between the stoplight and Duncan's face.   Her eyes widen in surprise to find his staring back at her.

 

 

 

“Light’s green.”  Duncan said, his eyes closing again.

 

 

 

Claudia was thankful for the darkness she would not have Duncan MacLeod know that he could make her blush.              With a sense of expectation she maneuvered the last set of curves that led to a house.  As the car slowed down to stop, Duncan sat up slowly taking in the view.  What he could see in the lights from the porch pleased him.   The smell of mint and water filled the air as she opened the door and stepped outside the car.   Claudia smiled at his brief nod of approval.

 

 

 

“Whose place is this?”

 

 

 

“Mine.”

 

 

 

“When did you...?”  His face carrying a puzzled look.

 

 

 

“I purchased it early last year, it took sometime to restore.  So I've been in residence for a short while."

 

 

 

Claudia got out and waited at the front door for Duncan to join her.   His footsteps crunched noisily on the gravel walkway adding to the chorus of clicks, chirps and what sounded to Duncan like a spoon being drawn across a rub-board.    As he joined her Claudia intoned the blessing she had learned to greet each visitor to her home.  "I invite ye Duncan MacLeod into my home.  May ye always rest comfortably within its walls.  May ye find peace and understanding herein." 

 

 

 

Duncan felt humbled.  "Thank you Claudia.  I..."

 

 

 

"No Duncan. Shhh, I'm not finished."

 

 

 

It took her a few moments to keep herself from ruining the next part of her greeting.  "Duncan?"  Claudia said her face serious, her voice grave.

 

 

 

"Yes," he answered wondering what was next.

 

 

 

Claudia, laced her fingers, put her clutched hands under her chin and began to bat her eyes.  "Canna, I carry ye across the threshold, huh, canna?"

 

 

 

Duncan laughed full out for the second time that night.  Delighted by the quirkiness of her behavior.  "No woman, now inside.  Ye promised me dinner."  Duncan mimicking Claudia bad imitation of his Scottish accent.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

With Claudia's first step across the doorway, the foyer and the rooms beyond were flooded with a soft lighting. Duncan could see that the raised foyer was surrounded on two sides by a large opened area divided by large screens suspended from the ceiling.  The screens were covered in material patterned with swirls of blue-green color.   The hallway off the foyer on Duncan's right curved gently and he could just see the outline of a door.

 

 

 

Claudia kicked off her shoes and Duncan watched as they slid silently across the polished wood to land somewhere out of sight.   For a brief moment Duncan wondered how much glide he could get in his stocking feet, but nixed the idea not really in the mood for a possible busted posterior.   Claudia walked to a set of stairs that led down to the open living area, there she pulled out the package Stephen had sent her.  Opening the case, Claudia pulled out a CD, which she pushed into a camouflaged space in the wall before her. 

 

 

 

From the foyer Duncan heard a brief splatter of static before the soft tones of piano and vocals fill the house.

 

  

 

Putting her purse on a large glass sculpture, Claudia turned to Duncan.  The sculpture's shape reminded him of an ancient Yorba tree.   He ran his finger across the top tracing the veins of green and black color that flowed throughout.

 

 

 

"The guestroom is right of the bathroom.  You can rest until dinner or explore the house."

 

 

 

"Well Claudia, you've got him here, what’s next?"  She grumbled as she backed out of the refrigerator, platter in hand, unaware that Duncan was standing in the kitchen doorway.

 

 

 

"You could start by offering me something to drink."

 

 

 

"D...o...n...e."  Claudia said in a quiet voice, hoping to hide the fact that she was embarrassed yet again.  This time she had been caught talking to herself and about him.  Putting the platter of marinated beef on the back of the stove she went to the refrigerator, where she pulled out a large glass picture and placed it in front of Duncan.   From underneath the kitchen-island she lifted two glasses filling them half full from the pitcher.

 

 

 

Duncan reached to pick up the glass.

 

 

 

"Not yet." Claudia said as she pulled a bottle from a group standing on a turnstile.  From it she filled the glasses almost full. The final garnish was a couple pieces of fruit and shaved ice.  Duncan looked at his glass suspiciously.  "Do you know what you're doing?"

 

 

 

"Are you talking about dinner, the drink, or etceteras?"

 

 

 

"Etcetera’s and let's add one more noun, house."

 

 

 

Taking her glass with her Claudia walked back to the range.  Taking a skillet from the rack above the stove she poured a small amount of oil into the bottom and she sat it on the stove.  While the oil heated she pulled two bowls from the refrigerator which she carried over to Duncan.  "The veggies are your job.  Wash and chop, please."

 

 

 

At the sink Claudia washed her hands then walked back to the stove to check the oil in the skillet.  "Local gossip has it that original parts of this house were built by a seaman for a lost love.   I found the original structure by accident, had some remodeling done and voila'.

 

 

 

Duncan took a tentative sip from his glass.  "Mmm, this is good."

 

 

 

Claudia glanced back at him from the stove.  "A friend of yours recommended the recipe."

 

 

 

"Who?"  Duncan asked suddenly suspicious.

 

 

 

"Walter."

 

 

 

Duncan shook his head, his face somber. "When did you see that adolescent?  He promised to leave you alone."

 

 

 

"Concert in Montreal last March."  Claudia began to place strips of beef into the skillet.  As the meat began to sizzle she added several pinches of spices.  "We had dinner afterward."  Claudia stepped away from the stove, "it wasn't his fault.  I thought he might have some news about you.  He was the perfect gentleman."

 

 

 

Duncan gave an undignified bark as he carried the vegetables to the sink.  "You haven't answered my question."

 

 

 

"I did about the house."

 

 

 

"When did you start cooking?"

 

 

 

"Emily invited me to her home for a congratulations "you've got a mortgage" dinner.  After spending time in the kitchen with her and Stephen, seeing her joy in creating something for someone else I wanted to experience that same feeling.

 

 

 

"You share your music all the time."

 

 

 

Claudia turned toward Duncan.  "It's not the same.  Cooking is a different intimate.   My music is often ... anyway.  I decided that it was time to become a grown woman, not just talented fingers."  Lifting her hands Claudia wiggled her fingers at Duncan.  "Besides, with my hectic schedule it's unfair to expect someone to be at my beck and call for just a sandwich and salad."

 

 

 

Grabbing her hands Duncan held them tightly to his chest.  "You've always been more," he said earnestly, "you never believed it."

 

 

 

Claudia stood still, her gaze holding his.  A small smile crossed her face.  "It has taken two lifetimes to learn."  She tugged gently and Duncan let go of her hands.  At the stove she added more beef strips to the skillet.  "I'm learning."

 

 

 

Claudia glanced up at the large cloth clock hanging in the middle of the kitchen window, 2:30 a.m.  That spot between her shoulders that held all her tension began to ache.  Turning her back on the clock Claudia rolled her shoulders backward like the therapist had shown her.  Duncan's shadow moving about in the living area brought her attention back to what she needed to do before driving him to the airport.   She owed him so much for years of unwavering support and caring.   She needed him to know that she could now be his support system.  Be his listening ear, a place to rest when he needed it.  Swinging her arms over her head she stretched out more tired muscles took a deep breath and walked out of the kitchen toward Duncan.

 

 

 

Claudia's greeting was not been idle one, Duncan thought as he looked up at the art hanging, letting the peace fill his mind.

 

 

 

He not only felt at peace, but for several breaths he was actually flirted with idea of being happy.  He watched Claudia walked toward him, her face unsuccessfully trying to hide her anxiety.  He looked up at her from his place on the sofa, his large frame spread across a fair amount leaving only left a small area which Claudia lowered herself into.   Taking one of his hands in her own, Claudia traced the maps of veins and scars.  He watched her unconscious act of innocent intimacy. 

 

 

 

"It's time to go."  Claudia said tugging on his fingers.

 

 

 

Duncan turned his arm in her hand to look at his watch.  "Mmmm." Seemingly unconcerned he settled deeper into the sofa.

 

 

 

Claudia looked at him unsure how to interpret his action.  Her eyes in place of her fingers traveled slowly over his features.  After such a long time out of each other lives she was somewhat nervous about delving into his personal life.

 

 

 

"How are you?" 

 

 

 

Duncan did not open his eyes, but pulled her closer into his side.  "I'm learning to live with the changes in my life."

 

 

 

Claudia laid her head against his shoulder, her legs pulled up under her body.  "Good. "  She hoped that her next words would not sound hard or selfish. "You could have sent a postcard, an email, something by carrier pigeon."

 

 

 

Duncan smiled and squeezed the fingers still holding his own.  "I...it's taken me a bit to understand that friends are for the good as well as bad times."

 

 

 

"The not knowing was frightening."

 

 

 

Duncan shifted his position on the futon, pushing his long body back giving more room for Claudia.  "While we're being open and honest, I like the new Claudia."

 

 

 

Claudia sat straighten putting space between she and Duncan.  "Growing up is hard work.  I finally realized that I needed to make some permanent changes."

 

 

 

"You've made a remarkable start."

 

 

 

"Thanks."  Claudia made a move to get up, trying to pull her hand from Duncan's grasp.  "We need to go now if you're to make your flight."

 

 

 

Duncan opened his eyes to the sight of the screens swaying in the breeze created by the air conditioning.  Once he had bent his knees to sit down he had unconsciously decided to stay for what remained of the coming day.  "I'll catch something tomorrow."   He said pushing off his shoes.

 

 

 

"You’re staying." 

 

 

 

“I want to see more of the house and the grounds.  Have a true conversation with a friend.”

 

 

 

Duncan shifted on the sofa as Claudia slid off and stretched out on the floor.  Taking hold of the hand reaching out to her, she moved closer to the sofa until their clasped hands rested comfortably against her chest.

 

 

 

“It took my watcher days to convenience me not to go searching for you.  I thought I would find you and save you from yourself.”

 

 

 

Duncan grunted, “you, Joe and… had the same idea.”

 

 

 

“Must have worked, you’re back.”

 

 

 

“Somewhat.”

 

 

 

“All of us are somewhat… Duncan?”

 

 

 

“Yes.”

 

 

 

“What is it like to have lived five hundred years?  What did I miss?”

 

 

 

They talked, slept and woke when the room filled with sunlight. 

 

 

 

Showered and shaved Duncan joined Claudia in the garden under the shadow of a grouping of trees.

 

 

 

“Good morning.”

 

 

 

“It is.”  Claudia smiled up at him then pointed to the covered plate on the table in front of him. 

 

 

 

Duncan buttered one of the scones took a bite and sat back in the chair chewing slowly.  “Where did we stop last night?”






Chapter End Notes:

No disrespect intended to the musical artist India Aire and Motown Music Co., or to Panzer/Davis and Rysher, the writers and actors who worked to make Highlander a great series.  May the Highlander live on, somewhere in someone’s imagination.