Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Thank you to Abby (coldheartgirl94) and Lynnie for helping me keep mistakes to a minimum.   All other mistakes are mine.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Harvey ignores the stares as he stands outside the glass walls preparing himself for whatever is about to happen once he walks into the spacious office.    Grabbing the door handle, he steps into Jessica Pearson’s office, and even though she does not acknowledge him, he knows she knows he’s there, so he positions himself on her sofa far enough away to see her face comfortably but close enough to touch her if he needs to.   His eyes move over Jessica noting the sameness and minute changes in her appearance.  She appears uncharacteristically stiff leaning against the back of the sofa.  Sunlight and the office’s florescent lighting highlight the freckles on her face and across her chest.  Those same freckles are usually hidden by a light covering of foundation.  Her chest rises and falls quickly as if she’s been running.   Ringless fingers clutch a sea foam colored square of paper against her thigh.

So the rumor’s true.  He imagined that was the cause of the extra scrutiny he’d received.  The office grapevine had been buzzing all morning about the wedding announcement of Quentin Sainz, and his research consultant/live-in Lisa Parker.   

Harvey’s mind shifts through his “how to handle this situation and/or person” schemes’.  In this case the person he’s dealing with is not to be babied, felt sorry for or manipulated into cooperating.  This person is his friend and deserves from him to be treated as such, so he decides to “do their usual” until she’s finished processing whatever emotional baggage she’s going through.

“Finished the Parker-Emmerson meeting…neither wants to wait or withdraw…paperwork to be on your desk for review, tomorrow.”  He shifts on the sofa draping his right leg over this left, his arm along the back of the sofa, fingertips inches away from the manicured fingers dug into the sofa’s expensive material.  He’s tempted to touch her, to transmit his understanding but her body language tells him to be more subtle, so he slides off the sofa and walks around to the back, to sit on the edge next to her.  Softly, slowly he pulls the embossed square from her hand and reads to himself.

Mr. Quentin R. Sainz

and

Ms. Lisa J. Parker
announce their marriage
on Saturday, the sixth of September
two thousand and eleven
at five o'clock in the evening
St. John's Church

 

Jessica, celebrate with us at the Reception immediately

following the ceremony at Restaurant Daniel

 

Jessica’s continued silence feels uncomfortable, something he’s unfamiliar with.  Even when they aren’t speaking to each other they communicate.  So he fills the silence with the language they are best at, work. 

 

“It’s going to be a stretch to make the merger profitable for both companies.  They’ve seen the numbers. I advised Parker that his stockholders are going to serve head and ass on a platter if this fails.  He refuses to change his mind.”  More silence…time to change tactics.  Harvey turns the 5.5 x 8 inch card over noting the richness of the paper, the crumpled edge.   “Are you going to ignore the slight and attend the wedding?”  Out of the corner of his eye he watches her shake her head no.  “Need an escort for the reception?  I’m sure Louis would love to critique the china pattern.”

Jessica glares in his direction as she walks to her desk, sits in her chair and stares at the papers beneath her fingers.

“I can’t believe you’re going to pass up drunken mushrooms and non-hosted bar service.”  Harvey said, waving the invitation in her direction.

“Go back to your office, Harvey.  Convince, Parker to drop the merger, do your job!”  The harshness in her voice trails away as he lays the invitation in the middle of her desk, refusing to be put off by her brusqueness.  She, like him, keeps her hurts buried deep so he’d expected her be effected by word of Quentin’s death, whenever that happened, but he was stumped by her reaction to a wedding reception invitation because she had told him during their effort to clear Quentin and save his company that she’d come to terms with his indiscretion with Lisa and the reasons for their divorce.  Maybe her explanation had been one of self delusion, one of those lies people tell themselves to get through.  But Jessica wasn’t that type, she didn’t lie, especially to herself or him.

“Oh…kay, no Louis.  I can eat, drink and be merry with the best.”

Jessica grins, an honest one.  “I’ve heard.”

“So?” he asks refusing to leave.

Jessica sat back, her arms folded tight against her body.  “Just what I need, you as my babysitter, free access to an unlimited amount of liquor, while watching my ex schmooze his new wife.” 

Harvey smiled.  Her sense of humor was returning but he knew the hard part was not over.  Jessica had yet to truly look at him and until she did he wouldn’t know what she was really feeling.  Finally her eyes meet his.  “We’re going to the ball,” Harvey’s Cinderella reminisce is interrupted by the office door opening, but he refused to look away from her.

“Jessica, whatever fairy tale Harvey is spinning…” Louis paused, his orchestrated interruption as both Jessica and Harvey turned their heads simultaneously to stare at him.  He continued ignoring their expressions, uncaring that he may be interrupting something serious between his rival and his superior, “in support of the Parker-Emmerson Electronics merger is built on his need to up his billables.  Both companies are carrying too much debt for us to mediate successfully.”

Jessica’s eyes never leaves Louis’ face, “Harvey.”

Harvey ‘s glance remained on Jessica as he pulled his phone from his coat pocket, pushed a button and listened for a voice to answer his summons.

“Harvey?”  The voice asked.

“Mike.”

)|(

The reception begins late and the slow crawl of the people waiting in line to greet the newlyweds has Harvey wishing he hadn’t pushed Jessica into attending.

He tilts his head slightly towards Jessica trying to recall the name of the fragrance she’s wearing.  He recognizes the scents, myrrh, lemongrass, musk.    It’s not her signature perfume he knows because he bought her a bottle for her birthday.  He applauds her need to stand out in this situation and tonight she is regal, stunning in a variegated wine and cream, one-shoulder, knee length dress, molded to her curves.   She moves with him along the line chin up, back stiff, smile frozen in place as they touch the fingers of the hands pointed at them; best man, maid of honor, bridesmaids, groomsman and even the bride’s parents but he knows Jessica isn’t as in control as she seems because the hand beneath his grows cooler the closer they move to the newlyweds.    At the beginning of the line he’d started to hold her hand but it felt too high schoolish and that is not how Jessica rolls so instead he’d wrapped her arm over his, keeping his hand resting over hers.  Finally they stood before the bride and groom.

“Quentin, Lisa congratulations.” 

“Thank you Harvey.”  Quentin replied staring at Jessica whose fingers were digging into the sleeve of his tux.

“Lisa, Quentin congratulations,” Jessica says two beats after him.   Harvey hears the sincerity in her voice.  He watches as her free hand grasps Quentin’s giving it a quick squeeze.  “I wish you both much happiness.”

Jessica pulls him closer as they move on to where Quentin’s parents stand, watching the interaction with interest. 

“Jessica.” Mr. Sainz deep tones sounded welcoming.

“Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Sainz, it has been a while.”

“Yes.”  Harvey though he heard a hiss from the woman’s pursed lips.   His eyes meet Jessica’s even as he feels her stiffen; her smile at him not quite true.   “This is Harvey Specter.  Harvey this is Quentin’s parents, Sharlotte and Quentin, Sr.”

“Hello. Mr. and Mrs. Sainz.” 

Mr. Sainz shook the hand Harvey had extended.    While his wife’s eyes narrows, pouring over Harvey’s features.

“Is this your protégé, Jessica?”

“Harvey is a good friend and a thriving partner at Pearson Hardman.” 

“Ah…so he’s the pretty thing you neglected our son for.”

“Not now Sharlotte.”  Mr. Sainz whispered harshly to his wife.

“I’m sure that Lisa won’t disappoint you.  She’ll be everything you wanted in a daughter-in-law, Sharlotte.”

“At least she’ll give Quentin the deference he deserves.”  Mrs. Sainz sputtered in frustration.

“It was the usual seeing you both again.” Jessica said as she nodded goodbye to the couple, her grip on his arm tightening even more.

Harvey dissected the conversation between Jessica and Mrs. Sainz as they follow the usher through the maze of tables, until she pointed them to the one containing their name cards.  Pulling out a chair for Jessica and  waiting to her to sit he notices with a grimace that they’ve been seated at a table opposite one the end of the head table; with a clear view of Quentin and Lisa.  The thought that Mrs. Sainz had influenced the seating arrangements fuels his feeling that Jessica is suffering because of his curiosity and that that suffering is going to translate into a load of pro bono cases for him.  The conversation at the table was almost nonexistent as they wait for the main party to be seated.  Jessica is brooding, and the only other couple at the table for eight are friends of Lisa’ maid of honor.  They’d made this known as soon as he and Jessica were seated. 

Once the newlyweds were introduced and applauded the festivities moved at a frantic but organized pace.  Harvey watched the people around him memorizing faces, noting potential clients as they sat through the parent’s toasts, reminisces by the best man and maid of honor, the Bride and Grooms toast to each other and the announcement that the food was to be served.    He waited until their table companions were busy chewing before probing Jessica’s open wounds possibility further damaging his relationship with her.  “What did Quentin’s mother mean?”

Harvey watched her withdraw as she digested his question.  He flinched as she speared a piece of lobster, the tines of her fork scraping against the plate, dip it in the accompanying sauce, stare at the piece of seafood for a moment before placing the abused seafood back on her plate and grabbing her glass of V Tardive instead.   He started to tell her that the food was worth tasting but signaled the waiter for a pot of coffee, instead.

“Besides, being spiteful?  Nothing,” Jessica answered her words clipped…whispered; like she was trying to contain her anger.

“You said it was your work ideology that separated you and Quentin.  Did he have a problem with your sponsoring me?”

Jessica signaled the many waiters walking around.  Once he arrived she pushed her empty glass towards him.  “You were just one of the many things we disagreed about.”

)|(

Harvey returned from the lobby to the best man’s announcing that after the Bride and Groom had the first dance, they were leaving and everyone was welcomed to see them off, and to stay for dancing and refreshments until they were asked, politely, to leave.   There was modest level of laughter, some applause and the band began to play.  Harvey stared at the empty chair in front of him and then looked around the room for Jessica. 

“She went outside.”  The only woman now at their table pointed to the large curtained doors leading to the outside. 

“Thank you,” Harvey said.    He found Jessica sitting on a stone bench in the middle of the lighted gravel path leading to large circular area of blooming plants.   His shoes crunch loudly against the mixture of gravel and crushed stone in the quiet night.  

“It can’t be my table manners that’s causing you to sulk out here alone, what is it?” Harvey hoped his attempt at humor would erase the seriousness in her expression.

“Lisa’s pregnant.”

“Oh.”  Harvey expelled on a long breath as he set down, his shoulder against her back, his hands clasped between his legs.

“While you were gone, Quentin’s mother passed by the table saying that Lisa was feeling a little unwell.  “You know how it is when you’re expecting.”  Jessica mimicked her ex mother-in-law’s voice in an unflattering manner.  “The Wicked Witch of the West could take lessons from momma Sainz.”

“Harsh.”

“Woman was always a real python when she wanted to be the strike, hold and squeeze type.”

“Lisa…pregnant.”  Harvey let the usual question remain unasked.

“Yeah.”  Jessica said softly.

“What is it about that…that bothers you?”

Jessica looked over she shoulder at him, then out in the darkness at a place only she could see.  “The suddenness...the idea that she was probably pregnant while we were representing, Quentin...the idea that he knew.”

Harvey had no words to offer.

Jessica turned until they were shoulder to shoulder.  “I made my choices long ago, Harvey.  When I decided that I wanted to own and manage a law firm.  That I wanted a career over marriage and family.”            Jessica stood up taking a few steps away from him.  Her hands slid down the side of her dress as if looking for pockets to slide into and finding none, gripped the backs of her arms across in front of her body.  “Yes I know a lot of women have it all. I’ve watched them.  Listened to them talk of regrets and overcoming obstacles.” 

Harvey watched as she turned her head toward the building and echoing her he watched the silhouettes moving inside.  “Having a family should never be considered an obstacle and I don’t do regret.”

“What about now?”

“Now?”  Jessica asked her eyebrow raised.

“Maybe if we…”

“If we what?”

“If we find you someone special, tonight won’t feel so tragic.”

Jessica stared into his eyes so long Harvey began to fidget.  “Harvey Specter, are you offering to be my baby’s daddy?”   She couldn’t help but smile at the look on her…what was Harvey to her now.  He was no longer the youth with so much talent, she’d found in the mailroom.  He was no longer her protégé.  Oh, he needed some tweaking here and there, but he was now the man and attorney she knew he could be and if she was being honest with herself he was not her peer.  Because Harvey had gained a couple of traits she now lacked.    Things she had given up to be Jessica Pearson.  So what was Harvey?  He was her friend, and… friends don’t have sex without consequences.

“Have you ever thought of us being more than just us?” Harvey asked as if hearing her thoughts.

“No.”

He bristled at her answer.

‘Why not?” 

Jessica heard the pique in his tone.    She sighed, tired of the issues this night seemed to be constantly exposing.  “We’re too much alike and I’m so… not your type.”

Harvey looked up at her, daring her to answer his next question.  “My type?”

Jessica gave a quick smile at the challenge in his words and Harvey stared at the dimples formed because of it.  “Twentyish, blond or blondish-brunet, athletic-willowy, 34-38C cup, long legs, willful and compliant to a certain extent.  Let’s go inside Harvey.  I want to dance.”

Harvey stood and Jessica recognized the look on his face.  He was thinking of a comeback.  She counted off his movements in her mind: one…hands in pants pockets, two… right leg forward slightly and three…lifted chin.  She waited, watching the you’re not screwing with me look morph into his usual smirk. 

“I’m that predictable?”

“No, I’ve known you for that long.”

“Okay, we’ll dance instead of making a baby.”

Harvey walked passed Jessica, pleased with the expression on her face.

)|(

The first thing Harvey notices as he wraps his arms around her was that her nose is only slight higher than his, not the usual few inches.  Faking a misstep he looks down at her shoes.  They’re elegant as always but without the standard 4 inch heels she favors and he’s pleased.  The second thing is that she’s letting him lead and the third is that he’s not surprised that they move so well together because they are a perfect match in so many ways. 

Her statements in the garden had turned the remainder of the night for him into a unique opportunity and he was eager to see how long she’d let him play.       He maneuvered them around the floor until they were close to several tables containing groups of males, talking, drinking and ogling.  He pulled her closer, his lips at her ear. 

“What about Mr. Goatee, at the table behind us.  At 10 o’clock.

“Jonah Stanley is three years your junior and has just agreed to manage his firm’s branch in Israel.  He’s dating a sorority sister.”

Harvey took two steps to his left.  “Okay what about mister six foot, five with the salt and pepper side burns at 3 o’clock?  Jessica moved her head to the right side of Harvey’s.

“Interesting.  Do you know him?”

“No.”

Jessica moves her head so he can see the determination on her face.  “Let it go Harvey.  My love life or lack thereof is not on our friend list of things to discuss.”

“There’s a list?”  He asked.

“Since, you’ve decided to play matchmaker, yes.”

Before he can reply the band ends the current song to light applause and instantly began playing again.  Harvey moves them along the floor giving Jessica no chance to replace him with another glass of wine.  He takes advantage of the music and the opportunity to keep her close.  He’s decided to do everything he’d thought about doing during what she’d called his adolescent crush or his big sister Jessica stages.    In her ear he softly sings along with the band, his hips moving her along with the beat.  Jessica leans back in his arms, her eyes locked on his, her expression one of amusement and a small amount of enjoyment. 

“So all those album covers are not just for decoration.”  Harvey answers by ghosting his hand down her back until it rested at the base of her spine.  His fingers lightly tapping in rhythm against skin firm, warm.    Twirling her, he pulls the hand held in his upward between them until his fingers rests against the swell of her breast.

Jessica relaxes against him.  “Harvey.”

“Hmmm?”

“Cop all the free feels you can because this will not happen again.”

All he can do was smile knowing that she knows how much he loves a challenge.






Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: I do not own any of the characters that form Suits, Aaron Korsh and Dutch Oven/USA Network do.  I just really, really like the characters that populate the show.   No money has been earned from this…just learning how to pull ideas from the upper atmosphere and spin.