Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Season 4-episode 11 to me is composed of everything that makes good storytelling: drama, danger, love won, love lost, angst, humor, friendship, what if.





Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Arthur Pendragon, king of Camelot sat on the edge of his bed in a room lighted only by the moonlight amplified by frosted window panes.  He sat silent waiting, imprisoned by indecision and the memory of a love he is trying to kill.  Memories tied to the ring he twists around and around between his fingers.  Lifting the rawhide string and iron circle closer he breathes deeply, the first without conscious effort since finding her ring on the forest floor.    He glance leaves the ring to focus on his friend, his confident; the first to know of his feelings for the blacksmith’s daughter.  His friend stands near, eyes holding both accusation and pity as he waits for his’ commands.    He can see that Merlin is holding something back from him.  He has their whole friendship he realizes and all the anger he’s tried to control rises within him.  Everyone in his life has withheld information from him, hidden their true selves from him, even her or so he’d tried to convince himself. 

 

 

 

“If there is nothing else sire.” 

 

 

 

Merlin’s quiet disapproval quiets his anger as quickly as it flared.  He twists the ring back and forth rubbing its edges into his flesh.  An old knowledge come to him, he’s been wrong about so many things.  Merlin is his friend, his counselor and he can trust him.  “Where did you go?” Arthur asks.

 

 

 

“Sire?”

 

 

 

“I followed you.”

 

 

 

“Then you know?”  Merlin’s voice holds a hint of anger at the prospect that Arthur is playing a game with him.

 

 

 

“To the edge of the forest…I couldn’t…”  Arthur took a breath and the essence left by constant wear traveled deep within him.  Musk, violets and something new to her, an old friend to him, fear and blood. 

 

 

 

“How did she look…did she ask after me?”

 

 

 

“She was….,” Merlin stopped at the look of need on Arthur’s face.  The truth would wound him even more and Gwen would not want that.  So he decided to twist the truth.  “She looked, well.  Her thoughts are to keep you and Camelot safe.”

 

 

 

Arthur stares at Merlin then the ring.  He’d heard the pain in Merlin’s answer.  “Is she ill…hurt?”

 

 

 

“She will survive of that I’m certain.”  Merlin answers.

 

 

 

“Did she throw my token away in anger, desperation?  Did someone take it from her?” Arthur asks needing to believe Merlin.  ‘Where is she, Merlin?  When I picked this up,” Arthur holds out the ring to Merlin.  “I could feel she was near…I was right.    It has been cold these past nights.  Where has she been?”

 

 

 

“She would not burden me with her trials.  I did not want to leave her there…alone, but she begged me leave.”

 

 

 

“Why?”

 

 

 

Merlin sighs, his mind heavy with the sorrow his friends are immerse in.  Truth has its way this time.  “She believes she can, not come back.  She grieves hurting you and for that she believes she must by remain apart from you and Camelot.  I told her you wanted to see her?”  Merlin looks to Arthur for confirmation.  His answer is the lowering of Arthur’s gaze to the ring resting on the tip of the finger wearing his mother’s wedding ring. 

 

 

 

“I’ve forgiven her.”

 

 

 

“That you want her.”

 

 

 

“I…need…her.”

 

 

 

“She doesn’t know that, sire.   You, yourself said that there must be trust between a husband and wife.  Gwen no longer trusts herself.”

 

 

 

Arthur lets the ring go and it falls downward until only the tip end of the rawhide string is held between his fingers.  The ring swings back and forth in the air and Merlin waits for it to fall to the floor.  “I should not have kept this then there would be no reminder of her.”

 

 

 

“You can never remove Gwen from your heart.  Your destines have been intertwined with that of Camelot with the first laid stone.  She is one of the reasons you are becoming the king Albion deserves.”

 

 

 

“Am I Merlin?”

 

 

 

Merlin truly smiles for the first time since entering the young King’s room.  “Yes, of that Gwen and I are in agreement.”

 

 

 

Arthur stands straight to his full height, his shoulders straight, his expression clear of doubt.  “Merlin.”

 

 

 

“Yes, sire.”

 

“Camelot’s King and its people require the presence of their Queen.”

 

 

 

Merlin’s smile grows as he watches his sovereign.  “Yes, sire.”






Chapter End Notes:

Disclaimer: Merlin belongs to BBC/Shine and I appreciate that they allow us to explain what may happen between the lines.
Spoilers: Episodes 1- 11