Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

   

Drake                     Eliza




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


March 1860

 

It was the beginning of the dry season which was a welcome relief for residents of the Bay. The rainy season was filled with muck and misery – muddied earthen roads that soiled the hems of respectable ladies’ dresses and ruined fashionable shoes of the day. Back then not much thought was given to the cycle of the earth and being in harmony with nature – most goods were imported and the land was plundered for profit.

 

At the Brodie household preparations were already underway for the impending visit of Drake Brodie and his two female companions – rooms were scrubbed and dusted while fresh linen draperies hung from the shuttered windows. Drake had left four long years ago and some wondered if he would ever return until one day when his father received word that he was coming home for a visit. It was the most excited the old man had been in many years.

 

Meanwhile…

 

Eliza stood busily at the kitchen table cutting away at some fresh garden vegetables that Robert had brought in earlier.  The kitchen was already warm and beads of sweat lay scattered across her brow. Aunt Bessie and Gloria had already seasoned the beef which had been left to marinate. Matilda was supposed to give her a hand but she had to go and buy some medicine for Ms. Elizabeth. Suddenly she heard the others scurrying about outside – Drake’s carriage must have finally arrived. He was home. Eliza could care less or so she told herself.

“Why aren’t you coming?” An inquisitive Gloria peaked by the door and asked.

 

“If the meal isn’t prepared on time then I’ll get the blame. I’m already short-handed as it is.”

 

Gloria smirked, “Sure I believe you. Drake finally comes home and here you are pretending like nothing is going on. As I remember weren’t you the one pining away for him.”

 

Eliza instantly halted her task and gripped the knife firmly. “Shut up Gloria before I shut you up!”

 

“I want to see you try!” Gloria shouted back arms akimbo.

 

“Gloria, come on child! Leave her be!” Aunt Bessie made her presence at the kitchen door. Gloria smirked again turned around and left in a huff. Aunt Bessie shook her head solemnly at her niece before leaving.

 

“I’m sure they won’t miss me,” Eliza muttered under her breath.

When Ms. Edith died Aunt Bessie trained Eliza in taking over more responsibilities in the kitchen. Gloria and Eliza had their share of squabbles with Aunt Bessie usually having to interject to keep the peace.

 

Aunt Bessie was very loyal to the Brodie household. She felt that they were luckier than other black families living in the same position – having good food to eat and a nice roof over their heads was quite adequate. However, her husband Moses perceived things differently. Every year he and their two sons had to trudge off to the mahogany camp where they stayed for ten months at a time. It was no way for a man to live and have a successful home life. Emancipation meant freedom and owning land but they felt neither free nor were given the right to own property. Such was life and everyone felt compelled to conform or risk the consequences.

“It’s great to see you again father,” Drake said giving him a hug and shaking his hand briskly. James surveyed his son and thought that England had certainly changed him outwardly. Pale skin adorned a black coat, pantaloons, a pair of gloves and a black hat which he took off when he greeted his father. His voice had changed as well – the English accent had deepened.

“Son you are looking a bit peaked but I’m sure our weather will give you back your normal coloring.” 

“Blame British weather father. Sometimes it can be quite depressing and the lack of sunshine adds to it. A few days in the Bay will make me good as new. ”

A beautiful young lady strolled to Drake’s side with a lace parasol hanging over her head.   She was outfitted in a dark green dress with a cape of the same color and black ladies’ gloves; waved black hair was mostly hidden under her green bonnet. A bit of rouge colored her cheeks. 

 

“And who is this lovely young creature?” She reminded Mr. Brodie of a delicate, porcelain doll.

 

“Father, may I introduce Ms. Emilie Rose Livingstone. She and I are engaged to be married,” Drake responded delightfully. “Emilie, my father Mr. James Brodie...” Removing her right glove, Emilie extended a hand in greeting and curtsied.

 

“Very pleased to meet you Mr. James Brodie… Drake has spoken very highly about you.” And yet he hasn’t told me anything about you. Her hand felt soft and warm in his. James enjoyed its touch.

 

The staff lined off in the background looked at each other amazed at this revelation. Gloria smiled.

 

Mr. Brodie was certainly surprised himself, “Ms. Livingstone very nice to meet you as well. Drake only wrote to me of your coming but neglected to inform me that the two of you are betrothed,” he said in a restrained tone.

 

“Forgive me father, it was meant to be a happy surprise.”

 

“Well we are definitely surprised,” James said clearing his throat.

 

English customs dictated that engaged partners are to inform both parental sides about the upcoming nuptials. Drake always broke the rules whenever it suited him Sara thought – and as usual father will let him get away with it.

 

Emilie quickly decided to change the subject…slightly. “My father, Mr. Isaac Livingstone, is quite ill at the moment but I still insisted on coming with Drake. I just had to see my future husband’s birthplace and meet his family.”

 

“Emilie’s Aunt Diana is acting as her chaperon since her mom was unable to make the journey.”

 

 

Aunt Diana was busy instructing George and Robert in the proper manner of dislodging their luggage, which were tied securely at the back of the carriage. As the men proceeded to lug the luggage inside Ms. Diana Livingstone made her introductions.

 

From her head to her toes she was covered in black attire. James thought the ensemble must be Queen Victoria inspired but it was really homage to her fiancé, Mr. Robert Kelly, who died a week before they were to be married. Her appearance and mannerism made Mr. Brodie feel that she would be a strict chaperon.

 

“I’m very sorry to hear about your father’s illness my dear and I hope he gets well soon. Still we are happy to have you all here and certainly believe that you will enjoy your stay with us.”

 

“Mr. Brodie so far your residence seems suitable enough,” Aunt Diana said pointedly.

 

“I’m glad it’s to your liking Ms. Livingstone,” he said giving a slight nod.

 

“Emilie, Aunt Diana, this is my sister Mrs. Sara Lewis.”

 

“A very pleasant welcome to you and your Aunt Diana,” Sara said nodding her head. She was attired in a pleated red dress with matching bonnet and gloves.  “My little brother has always been full of surprises.”  

“Drake has also remarked pleasantly about you.”   

“It’s very nice to hear that my brother speaks so well of me,” Sara said forcing a smile. Drake didn’t respond verbally but let out a low chuckle.

 

Ignoring him Sara continued, “I’m sorry that my husband, Mr. Gregory Lewis, was unable to join us. He’s busy taking care of our merchandising store. He’ll join us later for the evening meal.”

 

“I will look forward to meeting him then.”

 

Drake’s and Sara’s relationship can only be described as being strenuous. Since the day of his birth Sara looked at him as an adversary and the fact that he was born a boy played a major part in that thought process. James indulged Drake’s every whim even allowing him to run around with the servants namely Eliza – her mother’s illness had definitely played a hand in that development. He was also the heir to James’s import/export establishment which her husband craved to become a part of. Drake’s sudden return would surely put a wrinkle in their dreams. She really had to figure out what he was planning to do.

 

While Aunt Diana stayed behind to talk to James and Sara, Drake and Emilie approached the estate’s staff. There was Aunt Bessie – steward of the household and in charge of his mother’s care. Ms. Olivia, George’s wife, took care of the rooms. Her son Ezekiel whom he surmised was about 8 years old. Poor little boy soon it will be time for him to be dragged off to the mahogany camp which his Uncle Arthur operated. Last but certainly not least was their daughter Gloria who gave him a come hither look. He did notice however that two important ladies were absent. He wanted to question Aunt Bessie but at the moment decided against it. Why worry maybe they were inside preparing dinner. He would find out eventually.

 

In the meantime Emilie didn’t know quite what to do when she was introduced to everyone else. It was the first time that her eyes had come across actual black people. Reading about them living in Africa and rarely seeing them in passing couldn’t be considered a real introduction.  She stood by his side and politely nodded her head as Drake spoke highly of each in turn; hearkening back to his childhood days.

 

Introductions completed it was time for everyone to go inside.

 

“My dear you must be tired from the long journey Aunt Bessie will show you and Aunt Diana to your rooms. I’ll see you at mealtime,” Drake said as he touched her cheek.

 

“I’ll certainly want to see you much earlier.”

 

“Come along Emilie Rose. The heat here is already stifling,” Aunt Diana said as she took out a handkerchief to wipe her brow. Emily sighed as she obediently followed.

 

“I’m sure after a week or two the both of you will become adjusted to the climate. Being here is a different world after all,” Sara said.

 

“It is certainly different from where we live and yet I feel at home because this is Drake’s home.” Sara wanted to hurl.

 

“Emilie, how long is Mr. Brodie planning to stay?”

 

“We’ll return to England in May before the rainy season begins.”

 

“Emilie that will really give us an opportunity to get to know each other very well,” Sara said excitedly.

 

“Yes indeed and you can also give me some ideas on…”

 

 

Their voices trailed off and only James and Drake remained outside talking.

 

“Father where are Ms. Edith and Eliza?”              

 

“I believe that Eliza is still in the kitchen as for Edith…well… son I’m sorry to tell you…she died a couple of years ago.” The news stunned Drake and he could have sworn he heard a tinge of hurt in his father’s voice.

 

“No…no…she can’t be dead or you would have told me when it happened,” Drake said tearfully.

 

“Son...I’m truly sorry…but I couldn’t tell you…” The conversation was ended as James turned around and went inside. Drake was left alone to reflect.

 

From the day he was born his mother remained confined to her room only venturing out on the balcony for a little fresh air and some much needed sunlight. Only Aunt Bessie was allowed to attend to her care but Mr. Brodie visited when he felt the need to do so. Ms. Edith became a mother to him. She gave him love and attention when he desperately needed someone to be there.   

 

“Mamma I can’t believe that you’re gone. Mamma…” He felt numb eyes became filled with tears. This wasn’t a happy home coming after all. He had stayed away too long.

  

“Gloria, I’m warning you don’t say anything to Eliza,” Aunt Bessie said as they entered the kitchen. Gloria ignored the caution.

 

“She needs to know about our long, lost friend. She’ll find out in due time but I want be first to tell her.” Eliza didn’t look at her.

 

“Eliza, guess who Mr. Drake Brodie brought home with him.” Eliza didn’t respond. “Mr. Brodie told us that he was bringing along two women. Well guess what, one of them is his blushing bride-to-be. I couldn’t believe it myself. Eliza you should see her skin white as the clouds in the sky and her beautiful hair dark as the night.” Gloria laughed heartily. If the news had stunned Eliza she was doing a pretty good job of not showing its effects.

 

“You are quite the poet Gloria but it needs a little work. Drake has a life to live and so do the rest of us. How could you forget? I’m black…he’s white. We all know our place...don’t we?” 

 

“Why you…”

 

“Gloria you’ve had your fun now go outside and fetch the water for cooking,” Aunt Bessie said quickly. Gloria obeyed and passed Eliza seething – she didn’t quite have her fun.

 

“It doesn’t matter Aunt Bessie. Gloria can believe what she wants to believe but it isn’t and has never been true. I’m not like her going after all these white men.”

 

“Hush! Eliza, don’t speak about things that you don’t know anything about!”

“I’ll go attend to Mrs. Brodie but will return shortly. Don’t let Gloria get to you and I don’t want you to speak like that in front of me ever again.”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

Regardless of what her Aunt said she knew all about Gloria and her deeds. Thanks to Matilda she knew about a lot of things that neither her mother nor Aunt Bessie wanted to tell her about.

 

Nevertheless Eliza went back to her chopping – first cutting up more carrots and now the potatoes. She wondered why Gloria hadn’t return with the water as yet. It was short walk to the water pump…probably flirting with Robert. She only flirted when she needed or wanted something. On the other hand, Robert was such a fool messing around with that whore of Babylon. Still with so many men away it offered a lot of opportunities humph maybe he’s not a fool after all…Eliza smiled.

 

Suddenly she felt that she wasn’t alone in her thoughts anymore. She slowly lifted her head and saw two inflamed blue eyes solemnly staring back at her. Crew cut sandy blonde hair and pale skin dressed in a dark suit completed the vision. It looked like he was leaning against the doorframe for support.

He looked at curious chocolate-brown eyes staring back at him. Could it possibly be Eliza? Notwithstanding the servants clothing, she had definitely grown into a lovely young woman. And yet she looks at me like a stranger. I’ve been away too long. 

“Good Afternoon Sir. Are you feeling alright?”

 

“You refer to me as sir but don’t you remember me as Drake?” Everything had changed including his voice.

 

“Sir it is not this servant’s place to call her employer by his Christian name.”

 

“From this moment on you should refer to me as Drake,” he said in an irritated voice but softened his tone seeing her incredulous stare. “Eliza you are not my servant. We knew each other well before I went away. Speak to me as you would a friend.”

 

What did he just say? Friend? Know your place. These people can never be your friend. “Alright Mr. …I mean D-Dr-Drake.”

 

He approached the table and stood across from her. “I was just informed by my father that Ms. Edith died a couple of years ago.”

 

“Yes it was a tragic passing but death has always been a part of life.” She responded bravely lowering her gaze.

 

“By your response it seems that you’ve had enough time to deal with her death but I’ve just began to feel its effects. It’s still strange that father never wrote about her passing in his letters,” he said softly.

 

“Mr. Brodie knew what would be the consequence of that action. You would be returning home and not wanting to go back to England. England is your home now. There isn’t anything left here for you Drake… only pain and sorrow.”

 

“You’ve always been very wise Eliza but this time you’re sorely mistaken. There is something left here for me,” Drake said as he touched her sprawled out fingers lightly. His voice…his stare…his touch…she started to feel something that she hadn’t felt before in her life. She didn’t know what it was and abruptly pulled back her hand.

 

“There you are!” The sudden appearance of Emilie made them both flinch.

 

Emilie had changed into a light blue day dress and a straw bonnet. A lace parasol stood unopened by her side. As Gloria stated she was indeed very beautiful. Eliza consciously touched her head scarf and smoothed out her simple flowery printed dress with its beige apron.

 

“I…I thought you were resting my dear,” Drake said nervously as he hurriedly turned his gaze away from Eliza.

 

“My Aunt Diana is the one quietly taking a nap…thank goodness. It is certainly a great opportunity for you to give me a guided tour of this beautiful estate.” Emilie finally noticed the dark beauty. “Who is this?”

 

“My dear this is Eliza. Her mother, Ms. Edith formally raised me. I just learnt that she died a couple of years ago.”

 

“Oh I’m sorry for the both of you,” she remarked sincerely. She strode to his side caressing his forearm and looked over at Eliza.

 

“Thank you mistress,” Eliza said with a little nod.

 

In the back of her mind Emilie felt that there was something amidst between the two of them but she wasn’t sure. “So Eliza is like your sister.”

 

“Yes you could say that,” Drake said with a quirky smile glancing at Eliza. He couldn’t help it. He was feeling…something. How could he be feeling…something?

 

“Your sister suggested that I request Eliza’s assistance to attend to my needs. What do you think? Is she capable?” Another look… Eliza stood expressionless.

 

“While her suggestion might be good, I truly believe that Ms. Olivia is more capable of taking care of you,” Drake said glancing at Eliza. Did he just wink at me? He did it so quickly that Eliza wondered if her eyes betrayed her. “My dear it’s really your decision regardless.”

 

“I think you know what’s best for me. I’ll follow your suggestion.”

 

“Excellent choice… By the way where is that helpful sister of mine?”

 

“She has returned to her home. Well how about giving me that tour.”

 

“I think we can take a short tour before dinner. And Eliza I’ll see you later.”

 

“Again it was nice meeting you Eliza. I’m sure we’ll be seeing each other again really soon.” Eliza nodded her head once more and gave a slight smile.

As she watched them leave she wondered about that strange feeling but immediately brushed it aside as nothing. As for Sara…that witch…