Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ibis meets the other Henrys.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I went to the ladies room to recover myself. We use everything we take in, so I had no need to use it, in the human way. I simply touched up my gloss.

Clara followed me.

"Okay, Ibis, what the hell is going on?!"

The few girls in the restroom, looked at us like they were keen on seeing something go down. They shuffled out quickly, after Clara shot them a warning look.

"We’re friends, but I will not stand by and watch you hurt my brother."

I sighed. "There’s nothing going on..." I said, but I couldn’t meet her eyes.

"Whatever Ibis. I saw you. You and Stephen could’ve made-out right there on the dancefloor!"

"...but I didn’t."

It took some effort, but I turned to look at her.

"Look. I’m not going to deny I do feel attracted to him. He is gorgeous. Shit, you practically fall all over him yourself. I am still a female, after all... but it’ll pass."

"You really think that." Clara stood back on her heels and folded her arms across her chest.

I turned away.

"Look at me, Ibis." I managed to meet her eyes, again.

"Promise me, you won’t hurt my brother." She said, quietly.

More giggling girls spilled in, chatting excitedly about their dates... I said nothing.

"You need to tell him. Though, I’m sure he already knows..."

Clara strided out of the bathroom, shaking her head dismissively.

"Clara!"

I went out behind her and spotted Will watching me. Everything was clear in his eyes.

I walked over to him.

"Will I-"

"-Not now." he said. And the tone of his voice killed me. Not the anger. That, I could’ve handled, but the resignation. As if he was certain of the inevitability of my getting together with Stephen.

He took my hand and lead me onto the floor. We silently swayed to the music.

The rest of the night passed surrounded by our group. They chatted about inconsequential things while we mostly pretended to be involved with it. I did eventually relax again, but the shadow still loomed over us.

Stephen.

It didn’t help that he kept looking at me, with those piercing amber eyes of his.

He kept his distance...I knew, it was because of my love for Will.

It had been a magical night until I stupidly, screwed it all up.

 

****

 

As the night dragged on, I stepped out into the unusually chilly night air and sat down on a bench in the quad, with Will.

He brushed a hand across my cheek. "I’m going to lose you."

I stared into his eyes, insistent. "No. I love you, Will."

"I know you do...but where can this go? If you have your way, I’ll stay human. We’ll never be able to truly be together."

"Will, you know why I won’t. I can’t let you-"

"That’s my decision...And when the time comes, I’ll make the make the choice."

"You say that now, because you don’t know. It is magical, at first, the power, the virtual immortality. But then it becomes...something different. That creature. That thing we defeated was right about one thing. We’re supposed to die."

The silence hung between us.

"It’ll be different. This is what I want. I’ve never been so certain of anything. As long as we’re together, It won’t be like that."

"But your family...Your life."

"It will change, but that is a part of it. Right? Things change."

I sighed, in frustration. He really had no idea. And I couldn’t make him understand.

"Well, I’ll give you one thing. With that conviction of yours, you speak like one of us already..."

He touched my hand, in a way I knew meant he wanted to it bring to his lips...It was too heavy for him to lift. I allowed it. I loved feeling the warmth of his lips...And the way he drew the back of my hand along his jawline.

 

*****

 

That Monday, I met Will in the hallway on the way to class. He seemed cheerier than I would have expected, after...My slip.

"Ibis. I have some news for you." He sucked his lips into his mouth in that special way, I had come to love.

"My parents have heard too much about you. They’ve invited you to dinner, tonight."

I went even paler than I usually am. Young humans are one thing, but grown-ups? They get suspicious, all too easily. I could hide myself in class, but this?

"I don’t know about this, Will."

"Don’t worry. Let’s just say, they’re eccentric."

"Ordinarily I’d be embarrassed, but you’ve definitely out-stranged them."

I was a little offended. "I’m not that strange. At least, I don’t think I am."

I twisted my mouth and fumbled at my clothing, a short-sleeved, over-sized Cosby sweater, I’d found in a flea market back in the 80's. It was so big, I wore it as a dress. I had hated how that gel made my hair feel, very sticky and hard, so I did my hair pretty wildly and free of product today.

He laughed.

"Don’t worry, Ibis. You’re just my kind of strange." He draped his arm around my shoulders, enveloping me in his delicious smell. I felt dizzy.

 

*****

 

I’d wanted to change my clothes after school, but Will insisted they wouldn’t mind.

So I rode on in his truck, nibbling nervously on my nails.

"They really have been dying to meet you. They want to make sure you’re not some figment of my imagination." he said, his eyes flashing at me.

"I’ve had a few girlfriends...but never this long."

We had only been together six months, but I reasoned that was probably an eternity for a teen. It should be for me too. I’ve never even done this before, but it felt natural, as if he’d always been there.

I smiled at the thought.

"See? You’re relaxing already."

 

****

 

Will didn’t bother to announce his or my arrival.

He simply opened the door and lead me into the kitchen. There stood a tall, scruffy, spectacled blond man in relaxed khaki shorts. He had the same clear blue eyes, I had come to love on Will.

He was as handsome as I’d expected, but less uptight. Ex-military, ehh?

Will’s father tended a large wok. Tofu and colorful veggies decorated the large black concave space. The heavenly smell of spices eminated from the dish.

"Dad, this is Ibis."

"Well, hey there." he said, waving a hand at me. "It’s nice to finally see you. I’m Doug."

He raised his eyebrows at me slightly. I felt pleasant surprise coming from him. I had a feeling, I was very different from what he’d expected.

"I’d shake your hand, but I’m a stickler for cleanliness around food."

Okay, not the typical hippie in every way.

Good. I thought, he’d definitely notice the contrast in temperature between that hot wok and my skin.

"Clara and Alice are already in the dining room." He said, waving us on. "This’ll be done in a minute."

Will pushed through the double doors of the dining room. The places at the table were casually set.

Clara sat across from the most beautiful human woman I had seen, in a long while. She was darker than I had imagined, definitely had a heritage other than European.

Her skin was a slight golden brown, her cheeks high and sculpted. Her jet black hair, obviously dyed, was held up in a messy bun by a hair stick. Blunt bangs hung across her forehead. Tattoos were visible on her neck and wrists. Her green eyes popped even more against her dark hair. She reminded me of a more mature version of that underwear model...Adriana something?

She wore a loose-fitting flowered sun-dress and no shoes. I noted one more intricate tattoo, winding around her right ankle.

I couldn’t help but grin. Odd, exotic, women apparently weren’t new to this family. I couldn’t believe how normal their kids were in comparison. Then, I realized most kids rebel by being the opposite of the parents. It made perfect sense.

"Ibis." Her bee-stung lips curved up into the most pure smile. I saw where Will got it.

"Come sit..." She said, beckoning me with graceful flit of her wrist. She had an accent. It was very slight, but still there.

"It is good to meet you." Her eyes narrowed curiously...She leaned forward in her chair, her eyes scanning me. I saw a flash of something knowing, in her eyes. She nodded and relaxed.

Oh, my God. She knew.