Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Ibis is marked.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


I left him reluctantly that Sunday morning, before dawn.

I was back to myself by then, and truthfully, I was glad. Except for being with Will, I found that I did enjoy the way our state felt.

I was strong. I’d never had a physical care. I couldn’t even remember it.

I stood beside his window, my feelings conflicted. I couldn’t go back to what we were, before this.

I held myself; a poor replacement for Will’s gentle embrace. He crept up behind me and circled his arms around my waist.

"You can’t stay longer?" He whispered into my ear.

I let a silence hang between us for awhile, instead of answering. I just couldn’t say ‘no’.

I stood with Will watching the sky begin it’s transition into that familiar blue-black.

As it did, I slipped from his arms and out of his window, soundlessly. I stood on the pebbled sand watching the sections of mist began it’s daily convergence in this magical place.

I had never been so confused in my life. Turning Will...Even his sister, might save them. My heart told me this was probably true. It would not be an entirely selfish act to make them like us.

Alice was a clever woman. I could see why her people had not recovered her.

I did not light across the landscape like I usually did, but took my time, my thoughts chaotic. Even if he wasn’t in danger, I was certain, I would change him after our...It was different now. I just couldn’t be without him. It was beyond our love-making-

Someone was there. Sitting on top of a low rock. There was no absolutely no smell. Anger welled up inside, before I realized it was not Stephen.

Alice sat cross-legged, a serene expression on her face...A long herringbone braid, lay over her shoulder and brushed the top of her right thigh. She wore pajamas with little thin spotted cats all over them. Maus, I assumed. Where in the world did she find that outfit?

Typical Alice, it certainly brought a small level of ridiculousness to the situation.

"Hello, Ibis."

"Hi." I said, quietly.

"My children do not know about me for their own protection, but my husband does. I left him this morning to meet you here...And don’t worry, this won’t take long."

"I’m sure you’ve guessed, but you have my blessing to turn my son. It is what he wants...And, I think you’ve figured out, it is for his protection, as well. My people by law, cannot harm my children if they are immortal. My husband is somewhat protected. Despite my being a female, he has been with me long enough to have a form of imprint, from me."

...Did your mother explain what that is?"

"Yes. What she knew of it."

"Barbaric practice. Immortals pretend to stand on a higher moral ground than humans, but females being held back from choice is one of many things we have in common." She said, disgustedly.

"It is a sacred bond among my people. A marking males do on women, they are meant to be with...I could see a slight one on you the other day, child."

My eyes widened in shock.

Of course, she wanted to see if he had, if he could do that.

"The only reason, my father could be with my mother, was because he imprinted her, instead of one of his own...Human or not, they could not disobey that law for a male...But he was exiled.

After I became a woman, he was supposed to bring me back to his clan, for imprinting."

She shook her head. "As you can see, he did no such thing."

"My children do have a small measure of that inheritance from me, from me. Will, was acting like a pretty typical male. Flitting from girl to girl" She chuffed.

"Typical of human males as well...but there is a difference. We bond earlier in life. What I’m saying, Ibis, is that now, he definitely has imprinted you. It is only natural that you should be with him..."

"Wait. Yesterday...that vial you gave me. It was to make certain of this, wasn’t it?"

"Yes." She said matter-of-factly. "It is true that as powerfully close as you two, obviously are...love-making would cement his imprint on you. Every other immortal would see it and not claim you. Imprinting is the strongest bond two creatures can have. It cannot be broken.

I overhear a lot. I know about that other male, who has wanted to claim you for himself. He cannot, now."

Stephen. Of course.

I was angry despite myself. I had been manipulated like the chess piece. And she had the nerve to judge her own people for the same thing.

She stood up and walked towards me her smile fading. "...I had to."

She said. "As close to human as my children are, my clan would wish them dead, for being inferior."

"This is why your people must turn them, both."

 

*****

 

This was a lot of new information to take in...This huge part of Will and Clara, I had not known.

"I beg you." she said, clasping my hands. "I know you’ve had doubts, but you must." Her voice trembled on that last.

Of course, I must.

I nodded.

 

*****

 

"I’d like it to be done within the week. I will speak to my children."

"Their inheritance, will make it a more challenging task for you...Yes, I do know, it was almost done before."

She squeezed my shoulders and stood back, her voice taking on tinsel quality.

"We’ll speak again, soon."

She held up her arms, her hands arcing gracefully. The mist swirled around her and she vanished.

I didn’t think she had really been there in the first place. It must have been some strong form of astral projection. These Hetu were interesting.

 

*****

When I got home, Tess was of course, waiting, grinning at me like the cat who got the canary.

"So, have you turned him, yet?"

"No yet." I said, wearily. "But you got your wish...I will have to before the week is out."

 

*****

 

When I got to school, that Monday, Will almost immediately, was by my side. Clara was on the other...Looking between us suspiciously.

"You two look different." She said, her eyes narrowed. "You’re smiling, Ibis. You don’t do that."

"What do you mean? Sure, I do."

"No, you just have that emo expression on your face all time...What’s going on?"

And then it hit her.

"...Oh, my God." She said.

"You two!" She said, pointing accusingly.

"You didn’t!"

"Can you even? --Wow. Okay. Okay."

She said, trying let that sink in.

"I’m just going to go to class, now."

She turned on her heels, looking back at us like we’d performed the most amazing trick, which really, we had.

She quickly went into her classroom, shaking her head in disbelief.

Stephen stepped down the hall, coming towards us. His arm was draped around a blushing Nellie’s shoulders.

That ever-present smug smirk of his was gone.