Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The fans spun lazily overhead, doing nothing but stir the thick, smoky, warm air in the place.

Harry sat at a round table in the very back of the room, his table, a half-finished cigarette dangling between his parched lips.

“Yolanda, heya doll!”

A willowy caramel-skinned brunette with ruby-red lips patted her neat shoulder-length curls as she sashayed to the table.

“Well, hey there, hun! What’s doin?” She patted his shoulder playfully “The usual, right?”

Harry tipped his hat up to flash a sly smile “That’s my girl.”

“The Lady Blue will be on in a few.” She winked like she knew his secret and swivelled off to the bar.

Truthfully, it was no secret. Every night, he was free, after a long day running “errands” for Seamus “The Mop” Halliday, he reveled in coming to hear his angel. It was his escape to some distant peace, carried on her smoky voice. As smooth as silk, it was.

And oh boy, she had the face and body of an angel, skin the color of stained oak, a wide smile that revealed even white teeth and eyes like a child of the Orient. And she had peaks and valleys, in all the right places.

She dressed in her trademarks, always; a form-fitting pencil dress, one a’ those strapless numbers, a lace veil secured by cascading wisteria and long satin gloves, all always jewel-toned, lovely against her skin.

She was an enigma to him. As lovely and talented as she was…She always entered the stage with a beguiling modesty…Until she began to sing.

Folks all around chattered, while he sipped his scotch. The place immediately went hush when she walked onto the stage.

She took a few seconds, allowing her musicians to settle in behind her, Barry on drums, Michael on piano, and Terrence on the strings. And then she began, slow and easy, her eyes closed.

“You go to my head….And you linger like a haunting refrain…”

The tempo was slower than the standard, with an improvised rhythm. It felt sexier somehow.

…No, sultry. That was the word.

She caressed the microphone like a lover, her lips so close, it looked like she was whispering a secret…Harry envied that mic. Her voice was smoky, not the high chirpy pitch you might hear in the old soundies.

“…No, she sounded like a real woman.” He thought.

Harry was no slouch when it came to women. Absolute lookers were in and out of his bed weekly. Between his rugged good looks and the air of danger he had, working for Halliday, women practically begged to sleep with him. A few actually had begged.

He was tall, but wiry, the kind you might under-estimate in a fight, if you were stupid. His knuckles were scarred and he had a small scar on his upper lip. His nose had clearly been broken, but had somehow settled in a way that suited his face. No, he was definitely no stranger to a good fight.

His wavy black hair was slicked back under his hat. And his Irish crystal blues could charm or put ice in your soul, depending on his mood.

…Right now, between the music, smokes, and drink he was in a very good mood. Then she found his eyes. And it felt like she was singing just for him.

“Like a summer with a thousand Julys…You intoxicate my souuuul …”

His mouth dried and his head began to spin. He licked his lips and wondered if it were some performer’s trick, looking at the audience, but always making it seem like they’re looking at you.

He took a big swallow of his drink.

She closed her eyes again and swayed with the rhythm of the brushing sound on the drums, her hands absently trailing up her hourglass frame.

“…Yoooou, goooo to my Heeee-aaaad.” She finished with an effortlessly lilting note.

He felt silly. A grown man with school-boy’s crush. He lit another cigarette to clear his head.

“ Get your head together, man, you kill for a living.” He thought to himself.

“Thank you.” She said quietly, absently patting her shiny bob-cut pin-curls. She bowed to her band.

With that, she went right into “My Funny Valentine.” And there he was, floating into the deep seductive calm abyss of her voice, again.

“I see you’re enjoying yourself, sugar…” He nearly jumped. Yolanda had sneaked up on him. That never happened.

“Listen, toots, if wanna meet her…She’s a real sweet lady. All you gotta do is knock on her door. If anybody gives, ya’ trouble, hun. Just tell ‘em Yolanda sentcha’”.

She gave him a warm grin.

“Yeah, sure…I may just take that up.”

She laughed, placing an assuring hand on his shoulder. “Sure, hun.’”

Was she mocking him? He was certain he heard doubt in her voice, as if he were too scared to approach.

In truth, the idea of speaking to her, petrified him. Not because he feared talking to women but because he feared that his ideal of her, might shatter. They say, you should never meet your heroes. She had saved him from many a’night haunted by his illicit activities.

He didn’t think he could enjoy her performances any more if he found out she was less than deserving of the pedestal he’d put her on, in his mind.

And so he stayed on through the ending song, ‘Tenderly’ when only a few stragglers remained, still trying to make-up his mind.

He was a little tipsy. And when he got tipsy, he got quiet..A lesson learned from too many fights on a’count of his liquor-smart-mouth. Luckily, the effects of the drink were also pretty relaxing.

He sat and sipped even as Ernie appeared and began sweeping up, a sure sign the club was preparing to close.

Chattering came from the back and got louder as the Lady and her band-members appeared.

“…Goodnight boys, y’all done me real swell tonight, as always…” She gave Michael a tight hug.

“‘Night, pretty lady” And out the back door they went.

Incredibly, she looked like she was walking right up to him…His heart caught in his chest, but she passed him and sat at the bar. Her gloves and flowered hair net were gone. She never wore any jewelry, so all she had on was that shiny dark purple strapless dress, her feet free of the high heels she’d worn on stage. His eyes traced the dark seam of her stockings up her shapely legs.

He found that little detail, of her shoeless feet, charmingly earthy.

“Definitely not a diva, he decided.”

“Reggie, can I get a Manhattan?”

“Sure, sweet lady…” He said and flashed her a wide smile…She returned it. “Thanks.”

“You know if I weren’t married, girl…” He said as he made her drink.

“…But you are sugar, to a real peach. Who can burn in the kitchen! Tell her to send along some of that blueberry cobbler when she makes some’more!” They both chuckled affectionately.

“I certainly will.”

“Well, here’s your chance, Harry, boy…” He said to himself.

He willed himself out of his seat and up onto a barstool, two down from her own.

“Wouldya’ make that two Manhattan’s?…The lady’s on me…” He said.

She swiveled the barstool so she faced him, a sardonic eyebrow raised… “Well, am I now? Tha’s a little fast, dontcha think?”

His mouth opened and closed like a fish… “I didn’t mean to catch you off guard, hun’.” She said laughing…More music, he thought smiling.

After Reggie finished making the drinks, Ernie caught his eyes and waved him off, indicating he’d close up for the evening. …He looked worried.

“I’m Evangeline.” She said reaching out a delicate arm. He took her hand and shook it. It was a soft tiny thing. But she shook firm. You can call me Eva’ if ya’ like.

“…It’s Harry, Harry- ”

“-Oh, I know who you are…I seen ya’ up in here every night for the past two weeks. I had to ask Yolanda if you were a stalker or somethin’.” She chuckled.

He flushed red.

“She said you didn’t mean no harm. Jus’ like my music, is all.”

“Yeah, I do. You’ve got an amazing voice. I mean it. It’s intoxicating.” He said sincerely. Now, it was her turn to blush.

“Thank you…That really means a lot to me. Music’s the most important thing in my life, right now.” Right now? Why did she say that? She thought. Music would always be the most important thing.

There was an uncomfortable silence as they sat staring at each other. Evangeline, broke it.

“…You’re one ‘a Halliday’s’ boys?”

He forced a chuckle and sipped his drink. “I don’t talk about that.”

She could tell by his tone, which frightened her a bit, that he meant it. So, she said no more.

“How’d you get the name the Lady Blue?” He asked, seeking to change the subject.

“Well, it’s simple, really. When I first started this, I was this green little country girl. Didn’t have much. The only fancy dress I had was this little sequined blue number. I wore that thing, for as many performances as I had to, before I could afford another dress.” She took a sip of her drink.

“Folks started calling me, Lady Blue, and it stuck.”

She leaned forward… “So…” She said, her eyes lowered again… “Is my singing the only thing you come her for?”

He smiled, his eyes twinkling… “Well…Lady. I’d love a dance.”

“With a colored gal? You’re playing with fire, boy…” She said cocking her head to the side skeptically.

“I’m no stranger to dangerous activities.” He said, placing his hat on the bar; standing up and reaching out his hand.

By then, the club was completely empty…It was a colored club. The patrons tolerated only the few white regulars they knew respected the music and the people. They never let tourists or “trendies” as they called them, in to test the colored waters.

They only let Harry in, because of his dubious affiliations and local upbringing. He’d never done any of the colored community wrong. He frequented their shops, collecting for Seamus’ of course, but also to keep the shopkeepers from being harassed by local hoods. Nothing happened in town, without Seamus’ approval, including crime. And nobody’d ever heard of him using any slurs.

Still, every brother in the place would put a white man down for touching any of the colored girls, connections or not. Too much bad history there.

“But there’s no music…” She said with a puzzled smile.

“That’s okay, we don’t need it. Just follow my lead.”

She felt a little silly, but took his hand nonetheless.

Ernie was an old graying man. He’d pretty much seen it all, but he’d never seen no black and white couple dancing together…Well, ‘sides Shirley Temple and Bojangles.

Ordinarily, he might’ve said something, but they looked so comfortable together. No jungle girl fantasies that he could detect there…Just a sweet gentle affection. Harry had this big goofy grin on his face and Evangeline, wouldnja’ know it? –Had her eyes closed in that blissful way she does when she’s singing.

He quietly slipped onto the stage and began playing a romantic tune on the piano.

Their two hands were clasped between them, intimately. His free hand rested at the small of her back. They gently swayed back and forth, while Evangeline hummed softly, to the piano tune.

She felt like she was floating. Since she’d been in town, she’d only had two romances. The first with her manager, a slick redbone who had wanted her money more than her.

The second was a colored dentist, a little round in the middle, but good to her. He moved to St. Louis a little over a year ago, after they both realized they were on different paths. Both relationships lasted years. They might as well have been marriages, as far as she was concerned.

Since then, she’d been completely focused on her music. It was all she had and all she needed.

But this Harry intrigued her. He was clearly younger, upper-twenties at most, she guessed, but his eyes spoke of experiences men twice his age hadn’t had.

She herself was just shy of forty, but with her smooth unlined skin, you’d never know it. And of course, there was the matter of their different races.

He dipped her while she laughed, a few stray hairs falling loosely across his forehead.
Then he spun her out and caught her flush against his chest, the impact knocking the wind out of her.

“Oof!” She exclaimed and they both laughed.

…And then he kissed her. It was deep and mind-blowing. Her head spun. She could feel his manhood growing against her belly and that familiar pleasant warmth flooding her there.

…This was not good.

She broke it off… “Harry…You know this isn’t a good idea.”

“I don’t care…” And he went in for another. It felt so good, so right. This had to stop.

She broke it off and firmly pressed a finger to his lips.

“…Well, I do.” She said looking into his eyes. “I’m sorry. There’s just no way this could end well…so it’s best if we just don’t get started.”

Harry held onto her hand. “You’re no fortune teller, lady…Why let go of something that could be so good for some risky unknown? Life’s full of risky unknowns.” His eyes implored her.

“Because I do know. I’m the colored one, remember? I’ve been through what it is… just existing with this brown skin.”

Her face filled with the shadow of some distant pain. Harry wished he could caress it out of her.

“You’re white. The brothers will be on you and your own people will be on you for being a traitor. You’ll be just as much a spade to them, as I am…Can’t you see that? More importantly, do you honestly think you can deal with that?”

Silence.

She began to turn to leave. Harry caught her hand.

“But I can protect you. I’ve got connections. It wouldn’t be that way with me…Just give me a chance to show you.”

“No, no! This isn’t some fantasy we’re in. You of all people know there are real consequences for not following the rules…I’m sure you’ve dealt some of them out.”

A dark look passed over his face that chilled her. She pulled away, unconsciously backing a few steps.

“…And you scare me, Harry Fagan. I don’t want nothing to do with that world your dwell’n in.” Problem was, she wasn’t sure if she was more afraid of his profession or the possibly of really falling for him.

With that, she turned, collected her shoes (somewhere just beyond the curtain backstage, apparently) and headed to the door. As she pushed it open, she turned.

“I really, am sorry…I had a good time with you. I like you. But you do know…This, just can’t be.”

She frowned, hoping he understood.

…And then she was gone.

Harry felt defeated. This was the first time in his life any woman had turned him down.

Ernie, who had somehow made himself invisible throughout, now spoke up.

“She’s right, you know.”

“I been around a looooong time. I seen these white boys using our women and sometimes, loving ‘em. And somebody always comes out the other side hurt, or worse. I seen the black boys getting strung up in trees..or beat to death for loving some white girl, left with not even the dignity of being buried a full man…”

Ernie shook his head, looking more weary than ever….He wiped his bar down, even though it was already spotless.

“…T’aint right. We all got heartbeats and bleed red blood, but ain’t seen as the same humans. We just endure separate. We got to stick to them social particulars.

Now, I says this, with no disrespect, but as a fellow tha’s been around long enough to see and do things, tha’s more like you than you know.” Harry really looked at the man first time, then.

“…This place, didn’t just fall into some colored man’s hands, ya’ know. So hear me…Stay with your own.”

Ernie’s rheumy old eyes were firm.

“Now, I’m closing up. You best be on your way.”


Harry watched as the man blubbered and begged, offering everything he didn’t have to save himself.

Harry wasn’t much for words, when it came to doing his job. Seamus’ other boys like to taunt and tease, make men think they might have a chance before they splattered their brains. But he couldn’t do it..He couldn’t bully a man before he took his last breath.

“I got-I got safety a deposit box with my mother’s jewelry! You can have it! It’s worth a fortune.
Just…P-Please don’t kill me.”

Harry raised the silencer capped pistol. He fired two shots into the man’s chest and one in his head, before the man could fall.

He quietly exited the room, making sure he hadn’t been seen. His head hurt. He couldn’t continue to do this, much longer. Seamus drafted him for these jobs because he was gifted at it, his best, in fact.

He had been raised hunting and had done a brief two year stint in the army, sharp shooting. Yes, He was good alright. But now all those dead men…They haunted him.

Usually he’d find some floozy to fuck or go to Ernie’s for drinks and music, but…He couldn’t face her, tonight. …So a floozy, it was.

Tonight is was Rhonda…A leggy blond who looked more than a little, like Lana Turner.

He fucked her against the pink walls of her frilly apartment. The place always reeked of her heady perfume.

Tonight he was pretty rough with her. All of his guilt and anger focused into her body. But she loved it…Chirping like a toy poodle with each thrust.

He couldn’t take the noise…He placed a hand over her mouth and increased his pace, slamming her buttocks into her wall. He was sure if the neighbors couldn’t hear the chirping, they certainly heard that. …Finally, after far too long for him, she came. Her legs shuddering around his waist.

He didn’t come.

He quickly backed away from her flushed pink body, sweaty and breathing heavily. He hastily zipped his pants.

“Was it…Good for you?” She sighed.

“Yeah, sure doll…Always.” he pecked her lightly on the cheek.

“You seem distant tonight.” She said as she sat in her chair, lighting up a cigarette.

“Where’s your mind?” She tossed her lush locks.

“It’s elsewhere, and I’d rather not talk about it.”

“Well, I know a breeze off when I hear one…How’s about you be on your way.” Rhonda stood with her hands on her hips, leaned shifting her weight on one leg, in that defiant way, women do.

“…But Rhonda, I. …What the hell?”

“Are ya’ hard-a-hearin’? GET OUT!!” She practically shoved him out the door. Slamming it hard behind him.

“Dames” He thought. “Who could understand ‘em?”

Rhonda continued to smoke, while she thought about this. Harry never didn’t come. Oh, yes, she knew about that. That hot warmth flooding through her body, his quick tensed little jerks, while he clutched her tight…None of that tonight. His mind was on some other dame.

“That son-of-a-bitch!” She thought aloud.

He was an amazing lover. He had a big beautiful cock and the stamina of a race-horse. And he knew how to please a woman. All of that and a face, a body, and a decent head on his shoulders to go with it. He was a catch…So what, if he worked for Seamus.

Most of the town worked for Seamus. And those that didn’t were shit out of luck, anyways.

She knew he did other twists, but he came to her the most. And she’d always had his full attention…Until now.

She had hoped, when he finally got tired of dicking around, he’d settle down with her.

Yeah, she’d make a fine upstandin’ trophy for any of those paddy hoods….But none of ‘em of were Harry.

…And Harry was who she wanted. But now, that’s all in jeopardy because Harry is dizzy for some other dame.

And she was gonna find out who she is, and put her lights out, herself, if she had to.


Harry walked down the rain-slick streets, grateful it was the middle of the night. No people, no distractions. He could just be alone with his thoughts…Thoughts of the blood he’d spilled and no family, no real friends, to even do this for. Just leeches, all of them. His buddies working with Seamus would just as easily put a bullet in his skull, if Seamus ordered them too.

...Not that he would. He was far too valuable, too good at his job for that.

The dames he had were even passed around to the rest of Seamus’ boobs, including Rhonda, though she didn’t know he knew. The only person he’d taken a shine to outside of Seamus’ world, was Evangeline and he barely knew her.

He had to get out of this business. He had enough to settle-up with Seamus and move on. Maybe he could do just one more job…

Evangeline walked down the street two blocks, up from Harry searching her bag for her keys…

“Damn!” She’d left ‘em back at her day job, working as a typist for a local black lawyer. She turned to head back the other way, vainly hoping she’d dropped them somewhere, when she bumped into a greasy-looking man, twice her size…

“Excuse me…” She said and side-stepped him.

“No, excuse us, lady…” Her intuition was really setting off some alarm bells, here. There was more than one of them.

She quickened her step looking for any place that was open, at this time of night…Damn, that Patrick for keeping her working this late!

The footfalls increased behind her, keeping pace. “Screw it” She thought. She deftly stepped out of her heels and ran…

Her work skirt split up the back as she went…”Great!” She thought. “Shoes and a skirt. Two more bills she didn’t need.” She turned a corner and began knocking on doors.

“Help!” Help! They’re after me! PLEASE!! OPEN UP!!”

Door after door remained closed. She saw a few people peaking through their curtains, but none, did anything more.

The screaming broke his thoughts. Harry changed direction and headed towards the screams. Part of his job was to keep the peace. Nothing shady went down in this town, without Seamus’ say-so.

As she got to the last door on the block, they caught her. “GOTCHA!” They dragged her into a darkened corner at the entrance of the nearest alley, intending to rape her.

They never knew what hit ‘em.

Harry crept up behind the one guarding the scene. He swung the butt of his pistol across the back his head. Knocking him out, cleanly.

The second gripped her neck, and was busily trying to rip her skirt up the rest of the way. Harry easily grabbed him by his thumb pulling it back until he released her, snapping it with a sickening crack.

The man screamed. “AHHHH!! FUCK! Look what you did!” His thumb bent out at an odd angle.

Harry grabbed his head and kneed him in his face, knocking out more than a few teeth. He proceeded to brutally kick him while he lay on the ground. He finished by stomping his face.

Eva’ stood nearby watching this, eyes wide, shaking with shock. She didn’t know if he were alive or dead.

“Ha-Harry” She shook her head in horror at how quickly, and even moreso, how efficiently easy such violence had come out of him. She’d heard about it. Of course, he had a rep. But to see it…

“Are ya’ alright?” She backed up a few paces… “I-I’m fine.”

She mumbled a ‘thank you’ and limped a few steps, looking in all directions…Where did she expect to go? Her keys were at her desk, in the office. She turned back to Harry.

“I-I left my keys at work.” She looked down sheepishly. “I don’t know, where to go…”

Harry walked over and threw his coat over her shoulders…He loathed the idea of her seeing his sparse place, but at least there, he could look after her.

“It’s alright. I’ve gotcha’.” He rubbed her shoulders, as they walked on in silence.

When he got to his door, he turned and said “Wait right here…I just need to straighten up a bit.”

He went in, quickly shoved all the miscellaneous papers, unopened mail, and girly mags into his closet. He put the rest in a compartment under his coffee table.

That done, he ushered her in.

“It’s not much…”

“It’s fine, really.” It was sparsely decorated, so it was pretty easy to clean up the refuse he had lying around.

Harry disappeared into his room.

She limped to his couch and sat down. She lifted a foot and assessed the damage. She’d stepped on something, there was blooded clotted there . She’d have to get a booster just in case. And that was yet another bill.

Before, she could think what to do with her clothes, Harry reappeared with an over-sized shirt.

“I hope this is good.”

“Yes, Harry. Thank you, for everything.” He noted her injured foot and slipped from her presence again…This time reappearing with a small metal tub filled with warm soapy water.

“You need to get that cleaned up.”

“No, Harry I really-“

Before she could protest anymore he was kneeling in front of her, rolling down her stocking.

Thank God, it had slipped a little in the earlier struggles of the evening…Still, his expert hands on her leg were having a not too unwelcome effect on her. He rolled down her stocking like a pro.

She wondered how many women he’d done that for.

He lingered at her ankle and foot. She could swear he was caressing it in his calloused hands.

His heart was thumping so hard, he wondered if she could hear it. Not only beautiful, but she had well-kept pretty feet, too. Every toenail painted a deep maroon color, that suited her skin. She was perfect.

He paused to roll up his sleeves and slipped her foot into the welcoming warmth of the water.

She couldn’t help it, she sighed… “Mmm. I have to admit that does feel good. I’m tempted to put the other one in there.”

“You see? Listen to Papa Harry.”

She smirked at him and cocked an eyebrow up as if to say, “Oh, please, little boy.”

He reached into the water and began to massage her foot languidly, expertly applying just enough pressure where she needed it. She moaned again (it felt so good) and let out a nervous chuckle hoping to break the tension.

“You could do that all night, if you wanted to.” That slipped out before she could stop it.

If only she knew. He he’d love to… and do much more, if she’d allow him.

She tipped her head back and closed her eyes, and Harry noted, like she does, when she’s singing. He took the opportunity drink in the view of her shapely legs, which seemed to have a natural sheen to them. They were so smooth.

Oh, what he wouldn’t give to be able to lean in and worship those legs with his lips, tasting every inch of them…To have them propped up on his shoulders while he …

“Harry…”

His name snapped him out of his fantasies… “You’ve been working that same spot for the past few minutes. Not that I don’t appreciate it, but it’s starting to get sore.”

She frowned at him quixotically.

He wondered if she could tell what he was thinking.

“Oh, yeah, yeah… I need to take a shower anyway. You can finish up and sleep on my bed. I’ll take the couch.”

“No, no. I insist I sleep on the couch…After all you’ve done for me tonight. Allow me this.“

“Well, okay. It doesn’t look it, but it’s very comfy.” He patted it for emphasis and got up, eager to get out of the room.

He padded into the bathroom and closed the door…He didn’t bother to lock it.

He made the water cooler than usual…

As Eva’ slipped on the oversized shirt, she heard the bathroom door creak open.

The angel and devil on her shoulders were having a fierce argument. But the devil won.

She turned around on the couch. She could see his reflection in his bathroom mirror. His shower had glass doors. Since the water wasn’t running hot, the doors weren’t all steamed over.

The image in the mirror stopped just short of his manhood…But my, his physique was impressive. He had so many scars…

He had a broad back and a flat muscled stomach narrowing down to his hips. The muscles there formed a “v” down to his, his…

She swallowed. She couldn’t afford to be looking this young man. Her music was a priority and she wasn’t getting any younger.

The water suddenly stopped. And to her horror, she thought she caught his eyes in the bathroom mirror.

She spun around quickly and made like she was straightening her shirt.

He padded across the room, the towel wrapped around his waist, a wry smile on his face. He had an armful of linens. He dropped them on the corner of the couch.

Without breaking his stride he said “G’night.”

“Night, Harry.” Her voiced cracked, a bit.

Once his bedroom door was closed. She lay down and turned into her pillow. “–shit, shit, Shit!”

She felt like an idiot. “He’s just a kid, white kid.” She thought. Just put him out of your mind. “–A kid with an unbelievable body, and gorgeous blue eyes… Stop it girl! Get your head together!”

Harry lay on his bed and stared up at the ceiling a pleased smile creasing his lips. She did want him.

He would drop every floozy he had on a string, if he could just get Evangeline. Evangeline…

He closed his eyes and thought about her. The way she would touch the microphone and her body when she sang…That smile, those teasing glimpses of her flesh..The way her breasts heaved in those strapless dresses, when she belted out an intense lyric…

Before he knew what he was doing, his hand was wrapped around his already rigid dick…So, much for a cool shower.

He slowly stroked as he imagined her on top of him, rocking gently, completely nude but still wearing those lined stockings of hers.

She bit her lower lip, while her silken wet warmth, clenched around him. She breathed his name “Harry...” He could see her breasts bob as she tossed her head back, her breathing and pace increasing.

“Hh-hh-hh-hh!” She propped her hands on her calves for leverage…bouncing on his cock…

He moaned as he increased his strokes… She arched her back fucking him with abandon, “Oh Harry, I’m comm-ing!”

“OH...Shit!!!” He rasped as quietly, as he shot several spurts of come onto his sheets.

…Finally, relief.

He needn’t have worried about being heard, she was fast asleep and having dreams of her own.


When they both awoke, she realized it was Saturday.
“Shit!” and she didn’t have her boss’ home number. Harry came out of his room, his eyes narrowed sleepily, his hair standing in all directions. She smiled, thinking he looked adorable.

“Mornin’” He said smiling back. He went to the bathroom to take another quick shower, brush his teeth and shave. That done, he dressed in his room, his usual clean starched easy suit and matching hat. And of course, his shoulder holster and piece. When he reappeared in the living room, Eva took her opportunity.

“Harry, I really need a favor…” He shook his head, putting up his hand.

“I know you left your keys at work… You can, stay here if you like, I’ll put out a few things on that table over there, you can wear. Men’s clothes, yeah, but you could wear my suspenders. I bet you’d look cute in them.”

“Sure.” She patted her hair, hoping she hadn’t slept in a way that made her hair look wonky.

“…And shoes!” He said,snapping his fingers.

“Listen, I don’t expect anything.” She said shaking her head, he’d already done too much.

“But you need something to wear…See’n as you may not want to be seen shopping in men’s clothes. Don’tcha worry…I’ve got you covered.”

“But…” “Seriously, Eva let me do this.”

Truthfully, being a hood, he could have easily broken into her place using any number of tricks. Good thing the town locksmith was on vacation.

“I’ll be back shortly…There’s a radio over there and my bookcase is in that corner.”

“But you don’t know my size.”

“–I’m good at guessing.” He said smiling as his eyes flitted over her frame.

“Be good.” He tipped his hat.

He closed the door and locked it.

She stood up and snapped on the radio. A big band was playing “Take the ‘A’ Train”. She bopped into the bathroom. It was a relief to wash herself after last night’s close call.

Freshly scrubbed, she poured a little of Harry’s mouthwash into a cup and swished it around her mouth a few times.

She put on the pants he had laid out for her, and rolled them at the waist. The shirt, she buttoned.
Washed and comfortably dressed, she set about the apartment trying to find clues to who Harry was.

No family pictures…

A giant rubber plant in a corner by the window. And his bookcase…Surprise, surprise, filled with classics, Moby Dick, Beowulf, Kubla Kahn, The Waste Lands, and whatdaya’ know? The Souls of Black Folk. And lots of Twain and Hemingway.

She picked up T.S. Elliot and began reading Sweeney among the Nightingales.

She closed it and replaced it…and strode towards his room.

She gently pushed open the door and found his bed, neat as a pin, made military style, a solitary lamp and a painting just opposite his bed. It was the first and only piece of art she’d seen in his apartment.

It was an intriguing piece. A desolate landscape flooded with the inky black of night, a person, a woman perhaps, standing way off in the distance, staring at a break in the clouds, where a bright star or moon lightened the scene just a tad, where the person was standing.

She stood and stared at it for a bit and started noticing little details in the landscape; a tree leaned over the girl, yes she was certain she was female. She couldn’t decide if it were sheltering her or trying to engulf her.

…Odd.

“I bought it from a local artist.”

“Jesus!” She said nearly jumping out of her skin. Wow. She hadn’t heard a thing.

“It’s like she’s seeking hope in the darkness, and there it is, seeking her too.” He said.

“But the tree…I wonder if it’s protecting her or trying to engulf her, somehow.”

He shook his head, amazed that she had been pondering the same thing he had, since he’d first spotted the piece.

“I don’t know…I’ve been wondering the same thing.”

“Here are the things I boughtcha’.” In the bags were a new work skirt, some stockings, (she had ruined the pair she was wearing), two pairs of shoes, a blouse, a slick new dress a deep dark crimson color with a few glittery accents, matching gloves, wisteria with a pin, and a bit of black lace.

“Harry…I didn’t need all this. I’ve got extra gowns at Ernie’s.”

“I figured as much, but I thought you’d look amazing in this. I couldn’t resist.”

Suddenly the phone rang… Harry answered and spoke in hushed serious tones.

“Yeah, sure. It’ll be done by the end of the day.”

He sighed heavily as he replaced the phone “I’m sorry, I’ve got some business to take care of.”

I’ll be back soon. “Here’s a spare key if you need anything, and the change from my little shopping excursion, is in my desk. Use it.”



Rhonda had seen Harry leaving the boutique. After he left, she went in. She knew the lady working there.

“What did Harry just buy in here?” No hello, as usual. Typical. The shopkeeper thought.

“Oh hun, a bucket-load of shit…Skirt, dress,…stockings.” She let that one ruminate a bit. She knew it wasn’t for Miss Rhonda, the bitch. “I assumed it was for you. You being his number one an’ all.”

She ran out of the store hoping to catch him, but he was gone.



Eva put on the skirt and blouse and slipped on her work shoes. She skipped the stockings…”Gotta’ save that pair for tonight’s show” she thought.

“Hmm, well whatdaya know?”. Everything fit, perfectly. Her hair, luckily wasn’t that bad. She could brush and curl it up before the show. She grabbed the key and the “change”. Which turned out to be far too much, she took a quarter of it and headed out to find a local diner.

Eva walked towards Rhonda. Rhonda, who was distracted, bumped right into her. “Watch where you’re going you nigger!”

Passerbys on the street heard what she’d said and stopped to watch. Eva simply looked up calmly into her cold eyes and smiled. “G’day ‘miss.” and walked on.

Rhonda stomped off in the other direction. The passerbys were disappointed it hadn’t escalated.

Eva entered the back door of the diner and sat with the colored patrons. She ate, went to the park for some fresh air and returned to Harry’s apartment.

Strange…He still wasn’t back.

She’d have to go to Ernie’s to get ready to sing soon. Something wasn’t right.

She began to get dressed. She was out of her mind with worry.

But when she saw the dress on her frame, she forgot about her worries, for a moment. She was awestruck. It was stunning.

The deep red satin dress looked amazing on her. A delicate criss-cross of see-through chiffon played up her tiny waist. And the hemline was just like she liked it just below the knees.

A delicate a sparkle of red crystals accented her right hip. And it was strapless, a heart-shaped cut at her bosom.

She slipped on her shoes, slipped the key in her bra and carried her accessories in hand.

She thought a silent prayer as she locked and closed his door.

“Please…Be alright, Harry.”

Once inside her dressing room, she distantly fixed up her hair and singed her scalp a bit when she forgot herself. After that she focused enough make herself look nice…

Surely, Harry would be here tonight. …She hoped.



Harry was in the middle of gunfight. He and Seamus’ goons had walked right into an ambush.

Harry had managed to kill a few, but five or so, were still holding out, hidden somewhere in the warehouse. Harry hid behind a large loading block, sweating profusely.

“–Shit.”

There was a small graze wound across his wrist, were one of the crooks had managed to clip him before he iced him. It was superficial but it was bleeding freely.

He ripped his shirt and tied a makeshift bandage.

He checked his barrel. Only three shots left. And he had no idea how the other guys were doing.

He closed his eyes and listened…The men were walking around freely. Apparently, they’d thought they’d gotten everyone.

Now, they were doing a sweep to be sure…

They split up.



“In my solitude….You haunt me…”

Eva, stared at the spot, Harry should be. It was empty. Even Yolanda looked worried.

Eva’ rushed through her other numbers, cutting her act a little short with a curt, “Thanks, everybody.”

The band covered well…playing on while couples danced lazily across the floor.

“I’m sorry Ernie, I’ve got to go.” Eva whispered as she rushed out the door.

“Be careful, Lady.”



Quietly as he could, Harry slipped off his shoes and removed a shoelace, he wrapped it tightly between his hands and prepared. One of them was headed towards his hiding place.

He slipped into a small crevice and waited for him to pass. He slipped the lace around his throat and deftly crushed his windpipe.

He hoped the other men hadn’t heard him struggle. The man passed out. And then he broke his neck.

“Four more…” He thought. “Three bullets.”

“Carl? —Carl, where are ya’, you numbskull?”

Two of them were headed his way. As they appeared around his corner he fired two bullets. Each found their mark in their skulls.

“–What the fuck?” Two men rapidly coming his way, their guns drawn.

His last bullet went through one of the men’s throat. The other goon tried to fire and it clicked…The gun was jammed.

He tackled him and slammed his head, hard into the concrete floor, cracking his skull and killing him instantly.

He sat there for awhile, allowing the gravity of what had happened to fully sink in.

All those men and every one was dead, his partners and enemies alike.

He grabbed one of the goons’ guns and stealthily checked out the rest of the place. He wouldn’t make the same mistake these idiots had.

Just as he’d thought. Everyone dead. Except him. Saved by a jammed gun.

He looked a mess. He shirt was ripped to shreds, he had a cut on his eyebrow where he’d head-butted one of the goons and of course he was spotted with blood and drenched in the sweat of adrenalin. At least his wrist had stopped bleeding.

He stepped out into the night relieved it was raining. It cooled his head and soothed his wounds. He walked aimlessly, still trying to comprehend his close call.

The streets were completely empty. It must have been late.



Eva paced in Harry’s place wringing her hands…Her imagination conjured all kinds of ways the mob could hurt, torture, and ultimately kill him.

If he were dead, she’d never see hide nor hair of him ever again.



Somehow, he was in front of his apartment. He turned the key and doorknob and opened his front door. A stunning but worried looking Evangeline stood in the middle of the room.

“–I knew you’d look beautiful in it.”

“You’re alive…” She ran to him touching his hair and face, making sure he was real…

They stared at each other for a moment and then began to kiss, ferociously…

Eva was shedding what was left of his shirt from his shoulders…Harry was fumbling at the zipper on her dress.

Somehow they ended up in Harry’s bedroom. Harry gave up on the zipper and simply ripped it the rest of the way down her back.

She wore only her strapless bra and a pair of lacy silk bloomers, both pink.

Harry took off his wife beater and quickly shed his pants.

Harry climbed on the bed and began to take off her delicate bloomers….

“Harry, what are we doing…?” Eva asked breathlessly…

“What we’ve been wanting…Needing to do for a while, now…”

He slipped them down to her ankles removing her shoes with them.

He spread her legs wide gazing at her sex like a delicious meal he longed to taste…

He dipped between her legs licked her entire sex. Her eyes widened. She’d of heard of this from her girlfriends, but none of her sexual partners had done this. He found her clit and sucked it between his lips flicking it with his tongue.

Her entire body arched up…

“Oh. My. God!” This felt amazing. He smiled into her pussy, enjoying her reactions.
He could feel the beginning shakes of her impending orgasm.

Finally she tumbled over, gasping for air, her toes flexing on his back.

She sighed happily, as the last waves of her climax ebbed…”You taste delicious, lady…”

He slid up her body until he was face to face with her. He entered her slowly, helping her get accustomed to his size, slowly entering inch-by-inch…She turned her head frowning, clenching the sheets with her hands. The man was huge!

He paused hoping he wasn’t hurting her. “She shook her head…No, I’m fine. Don’t stop.”

He couldn’t believe how tight and wet she was, they fit perfectly…She felt exquisite. He had to focus. He wanted to make this last.

He focused on counting his strokes… “God Harry, you feel so good…” She dug her heels into his back urging him to go faster…deeper.

She arched her hips up to match his strokes…That was it…He pummeled her deeply, stroking as fast as he could….His right hand braced against the knocking headboard.

“Ah, Yes! yes! Yes!…OOoooh!”

Her whole body went rigid. When he felt her rapidly clenching around him, he could take no more. “Ohhhhhh, fuck!!! Eva’!”

“Unnnhh!!” They came together.

He collapsed on top of her, his body shuddering. He had never come at the same time as his other partners. This was a first. It had been wondrous thing.

They didn’t speak…She just wrapped her arms around him and held him, like that.

…She had seen the blood on his shirt. He just needed to be with her, in her arms and forget his troubles for a bit.

He felt released from his guilt, safe here, with Eva. All he had to do was make her happy, and he would be too. Her happiness was his own.

She shifted beneath him.

He felt a lusty stirring, again…He slipped his hardening member inside her again, kissing her face as he built up a rhythm…



They’d made love many times that evening…By the time he stirred in the glare of the sunlight, it was noon. He watched his angel sleep, peacefully. A little drool spot on the pillow by her mouth made him smile.

The phone started to ring.

Harry rolled out of bed. He went to the next room to answer, shutting the bedroom door gently behind him.

“Harry!! Where the hell have you been!! We thought you were swimming with the fishes!!”

“Yeah, no Mr. Halliday…As you can I hear, I’m quite alright…It was a close shave, though. The job is done.”

“I know. I had my boys check. It was a shave for you, huh. I thought I’d lost my best man. …I’m glad you’re okay.”

“Thanks.”

“Listen – Rhonda, came down here, asking about you…”

“Shit, that broad’s been on my balls, since before the reefer-addict incident…”

“Yeah, I know, she was asking if we knew of any other broads…And yes, we know you’ve got a nice piece of dark meat up there, in your place.”

“–Evangeline, her name’s Evangeline.”

“Okay, Okay, sorry…Wow. You must really be dizzy for this dame. Anyways, I’m just callin’ to letcha’ know…I didn’t tell her nuthin’.”

“Thanks, Mr. Halliday.”

“Ehh, no prob. You’ve served me well for years. It’s the least I could do.”

“I’ll see ya’ on Monday. You know where, we’ll tie up any loose ends, then.
–Until then, get some rest. You deserves it.”

“Sure.”

He put the phone back on the receiver and sat back in his chair.

Eva stood at his bedroom door in nothing but her stockings.. Looking a little troubled and “Sexy as hell.” He thought.

“What was that about?”

“Ahh, just business.”

He was hiding something, she could tell immediately, but she let it go. Probably some gory details he didn’t want her to know about.

Harry got a water pitcher from the fridge and poured two glasses of water.

He looked her up and down and shook his head…You know…I fantasized about you, just like that in those stockings…

“Oh really?” She said, a naughty smile spreading across her face.