Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
More!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 3

 

 

“Arthur?” Merlin’s voice echoed through the hallways of the castle as he jogged in search of his friend. He turned down the wing where Morgana’s room was and hurried to the door.

 

“Gwen? Are you in there?” Merlin called as he knocked on the door. He heard footsteps and a moment later was face-to-face with Morgana.

 

“Oh, it’s you,” Merlin said dejectedly. He peered over her shoulder looking for Gwen.

 

“Hello, Merlin,”

 

Merlin’s eyes found Morgana’s again slowly, feeling unnerved by her tone as she said his name. He found her to be smiling at him brightly. He smiled back.

 

“Erm…hi,” Merlin replied. “Listen, have you seen Gwen or Arthur?”

 

Morgana took a step closer to Merlin, her eyes searching his face.

 

“I haven’t seen Arthur at all today, and Gwen just left a little while ago…”she answered distantly. “Have your eyes always been this blue?”

 

Merlin’s eyebrows knitted together. Morgana was now so close to him that he could feel her breath on his face. The look in her eyes made him feel nervous and shy all at once.

 

“Are you…are you feeling alright, Morgana?” Merlin asked, taking a small step back. Morgana closed the distance as she nodded.

 

“Never felt better,” she said. Her hand came up to Merlin’s chin and she rubbed at a streak of dirt there. “Sparring with Arthur again? I do hope he wasn’t too rough with you.”

 

Merlin swallowed thickly. He’d never been oblivious to how beautiful Morgana was, but with her closeness now and her touch, he found it very hard to think clearly. She’d never paid him this kind of attention before, and it was both flattering and scary at the same time.

 

“I…um…I should go,” Merlin mumbled, his voice cracking as Morgana’s hand slipped to his neck.

 

“But why?” Morgana asked, her voice huskier than before. “I’m sure I can find much more…interesting tasks for you to do here.”

 

Merlin’s cheeks felt as though they were on fire as he took another step backwards towards the door.

 

“I-I can’t stay... I’m…I was doing…something…” For the life of him, Merlin couldn’t remember why he’d come to this room in the first place. Morgana stepped towards him again, her eyes set in determination.

 

“Whatever it was can wait, Merlin.” She stated. “But I can’t.”

 

“Arthur!” Merlin nearly shouted. “I have to find him – he’s acting strangely. Have you noticed that Gwen is acting strangely as well?”

 

Morgana gave an exasperated sigh as she closed in on Merlin again.

 

“I really don’t want to talk about Arthur or Gwen,” Morgana said. She grabbed the sides of Merlin’s shirt and pulled him closer. “In fact, I don’t really want to talk at all.”

 

Merlin’s eyes went wide as he realized Morgana’s meaning. His lips were inches from hers when he finally remembered how to move and pulled her wrists away from him. He darted back through the door, spun on his heels and started running down the hallway.

 

“Merlin!” Morgana screamed after him, running into the corridor. “Merlin, you come back here!”

 

Merlin didn’t slow, and soon disappeared around a corner. Morgana face went into a deep scowl as she folded her arms.

 

“You can run, Merlin.” Morgana whispered. “But you can’t hide.”

 

A devilish smile crossed her face as Morgana headed back into her room.

 

*~*~*~

 

A long sigh escaped Gwen’s lips as she stared at the perfect man before her. How long she’d been around Arthur, and never noticed the exquisiteness he possessed? She closed her eyes when she felt his finger graze her temple.

 

“I saw you at the window…and I just had to come,” Arthur said softly, studying her face. Gwen smiled as she opened her eyes.

 

“I was hoping you would,” she admitted. “Though if you hadn’t, I would have come to you.”

 

This brought a smile to Arthur’s face. His hand fell to hers and he grasped it tightly.

 

“I…I can’t seem to stop thinking about you,” Arthur admitted. Gwen nodded vigorously.

 

“Nor I, you,” she replied. “It’s almost as though, it’s all become so clear to me. How I feel about you, the fact that we-“

 

“Belong together,” Arthur answered. “Yes, I feel the same. I can’t believe it took me so long to see it.” Arthur shook his head resolutely. “I must remedy this right away. You and I, we must be wed, immediately.”

 

Gwen’s eyes widened at this as she clasped her other hand over Arthur’s.

 

“Oh, I want nothing more, my lord.” She replied happily, but then her smile faded as she looked away. Arthur touched her chin and made her face him.

 

“What is it?”

 

Gwen sighed deeply.

 

“Your father,” Gwen answered plainly. “Your father will never allow us to marry. He’d never let you marry below your class.”

 

Arthur felt a pain in his chest as he realized Gwen was right. His father’s attitude about marriage between classes was well known. He highly disapproved, and would sooner die than permit it with his only son. Arthur took in the sadness in Gwen’s face, and felt his resolve strengthen.

 

“I’ll find a way, Guinevere.” Arthur promised. He leaned forward until his forehead touched hers. “I swear on my crown, I’ll figure out a way. We’ll be together, mark my words.”

 

Gwen still had her doubts, but the fortitude in Arthur’s words and voice did ease her mind. Her Arthur would make it alright. She smiled warmly as Arthur brought their clasped hands to his lips, kissing Gwen’s fingers lightly. Neither saw the movement as Tara slipped behind a wall only steps away from them.

 

~*~*~*~

 

Gaius nearly yelped as the door to his chambers slammed against the wall. He dropped the glass tube he was holding and grimaced as it hit the floor with a crash. He looked up towards the door to see Merlin pushing it shut and inhaled sharply.

 

“Heaven’s sake, Merlin!” Gaius chided. “Must you always make such a dramatic entrance? You nearly scared the wits out of me!”


Merlin rushed towards Gaius, his eyes flitting quickly to the mess on the floor.

 

“Oh, sorry,” Merlin said distractedly. “Gaius, something strange is happening.”

 

Gaius gave Merlin a wary eye as he walked over to the straw broom in the corner.

 

“It’s called growing up, Merlin. Don’t worry, you’ll survive.” Gaius said flatly. Merlin shook his head impatiently.

 

“No, not with me, with Arthur and Gwen!” Merlin clarified. “And possibly Morgana.”

 

“This should be interesting,” Gaius quipped as he brushed at the glass.

 

“Okay, so this morning, I go to tell Arthur that it’s time for breakfast, and he and Gwen are just standing there, staring at each other.” Merlin began as he paced the room. “It took everything short of me slapping him to get his attention.”

 

Gaius grunted as he leaned over to sweep the mess onto a sheet of parchment.

 

“And?”

 

Merlin stopped pacing and looked at Gaius incredulously.

 

“Well – they weren’t talking!” Merlin stated. “They were just staring at each other all…starry-eyed. It was strange.”

 

Gaius stood up slowly and exhaled.

 

“Oh, I see.” Was all Gaius said. Merlin raised his brows.

 

“You see what?”

 

“Well, it’s obvious that there was some kind of strange magic afoot.” Gaius said matter-of-factly. Merlin perked up at this and moved closer to his mentor.

 

“You think so too?” Merlin asked excitedly. “What do you think it is? Another sorcerer? Perhaps a curse?”

 

“Indeed,” Gaius said. “The curse of youthful amorousness.” Gaius then shoved the glass covered parchment into Merlin’s hands. “Now go dispose of that and let me work.”

 

Merlin grunted as he rolled his eyes.

 

“No, you don’t understand, Gaius-“

 

“I understand perfectly,” Gaius interjected. “It may come as a surprise to you, Merlin, but what you saw between Arthur and Gwen happens quite frequently between boys and girls their age. You may even experience that ‘magic’ yourself. And I’m afraid that there’s no known cure.”

 

Merlin groaned impatiently as he followed Gaius to another table.

 

“But it’s more than that, Gaius!” Merlin urged. “You should have seen Arthur this afternoon. I tried to stop him from going to see Gwen, and he nearly clobbered me. And I swear I saw some sort of…flash in his eyes.”

 

Gaius raised an unruly eyebrow.

 

“A flash?”

 

“Yes! Like a…greenish sort of light. It was just for a moment though,” Merlin muttered. Gaius tilted his head.

 

“Did you see this flash before or after Arthur hit you?” Gaius asked. Merlin stared at him for a moment before making a face.

 

“He didn’t hit me that hard, Gaius.” Merlin carped. “I’m sure I saw it. And then there was Morgana! She-“

 

Merlin stopped abruptly as he recalled Morgana’s hands on him and her close advances – and how he’d felt when she did them. He felt heat creep up to his cheeks and his ears burn despite himself. Gaius gave him an amused look.

 

“What did Morgana do?” he pressed. Merlin swallowed thickly and cleared his throat.

 

“Let’s just say, she isn’t herself either.” Merlin hedged. He sighed deeply as he looked at the ceiling. “Do you know of any spells that make people think that they’re in love with each other?”

 

Gaius stroked his chin thoughtfully as he considered.

 

“No, not really,” he answered at length. “You see, magic doesn’t have the power to create an emotion that isn’t really there.”

 

Merlin creased his brow.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

Gaius took a seat near the hearth.

 

“Magic has its limits when it comes to human emotions, Merlin. It cannot fabricate a feeling that isn’t there, especially one as deep and complex as love. It can amplify that emotion, just as it can amplify anger or hatred, but it cannot create it.”

 

Merlin chewed his lip as he contemplated Gaius’ words.

 

“So what you’re saying is…that if this spell is affecting Arthur and Gwen like this…they already had to have feelings for each other?”

 

Gaius nodded.

 

“More or less.”

 

A dark expression then crept over Merlin’s features.

 

“Who or what could cast a spell that could magnify these feelings?” Merlin asked. Gaius merely shrugged.

 

“It’s hard to say,” Gaius replied. “Magic like that requires a very strong wielder, and the strongest I ever knew was Nimueh. But even if she wasn’t dead, this type of spell really wasn’t her fashion.”

 

Merlin nodded in agreement. It was times like this he missed having the Dragon’s counsel. He likely knew exactly who’d cast the spell, and how to fix it. But Merlin would sooner swallow hot coals then ever turn to that traitorous reptile for help ever again. He would have to figure this one out himself, and he would before Arthur got himself into real trouble.

 

 

~*~*~*

 

“Yes, Merlin. Keep digging until you find what you seek.”

 

Morbius’ voice resounded through the hollow of the large cave. He hated this place; the emptiness and lack of herbal life made him feel uncomfortable. But it was where Nimueh’s basin was, and he had to admit that it was one of the best magical creations he’d ever seen. All he had to do was chant a small incantation, and he could see just about anyone he wanted, no matter where they were.

 

He smiled at the rippling reflection of the young warlock that had done the impossible; the one who’d trapped Nimueh in the realm between this world and the next. The poor boy had no idea that Nimueh was not truly destroyed, but merely in a formless existence that hovered around the Isle of the Blessed. She’d called to Morbius shortly after Merlin had destroyed her body, and he’d promised to help her return. The fact that he would get the precious son of his long time nemesis, Uther, killed in the process was just a stroke of luck.

 

But things were moving too slowly. Morbius hadn’t realized how naïve the warlock was in the ways of magic, so he would have to personally move things along.

 

“Time to pay a visit to my old friend,” Morbius said on a laugh, and laughed even harder when Uther’s stern face filled the basin before him.






Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoy, should have the next chapter out soon! Happy New Year!