Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Finally lol...almost done... I can taste it!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Chapter 4

 

It was utterly hopeless, Merlin thought as he closed his magic book. He’d searched it three times already, and nowhere had he seen anything that described what his friends were experiencing. He fell back onto the bed as he racked his brain again for any clues.

 

“Alright, Merlin, let’s start from the top,” Merlin muttered to himself.

 

He thought back to the beginning of the day. Nothing had seemed out of the ordinary, and Arthur seemed to be normal earlier that morning. Then they’d had the unsucessful hunt for that wizard Morbius – Merlin sat bold upright.

 

“Morbius!” he whispered aloud. He bounded off his bed and out of his room to find Gaius, who was sipping some tea while reading. He walked over and sat across from him at the table.

 

“Merlin, I’m reading,” Gaius said without looking up.

 

“Yes, I see that, but I need to ask you something, it’s important.” Merlin begged. Gaius knew from his young ward’s tone that he’d have no peace until he heard him out. He closed his book and pushed it to the side before focusing on Merlin.

 

“Alright then, what is it?”

 

“I need to you tell me about Morbius.” Merlin said. “What kind of wizard was he? Was he powerful?”

 

Gaius looked at Merlin strangely for a moment before deciding to answer his questions.

 

“Morbius was a fairly powerful wizard in his day,” Gaius began. “Like you, he was born with an ability. His ability allowed him to manipulate plants of all kinds in special ways. He could make them grow faster, wither in an instant, even enhance their own natural properties.”


”Enhance…How exactly?” Merlin asked. Gaius shrugged as he thought.

 

“Oh, well, for example the Huberous plant has a natural sleeping agent in it. On it’s own, a dose of it’s extract would make you just a bit sleepy at most. But if Morbius were to tamper with it, the extract could make you sleep for days on end.”

 

Merlin nodded as he listened.

 

“At first, Morbius was a friend to the king and the people, as his abilities combined with his magical studies helped to make Camelot very prosperous for a long time.”

 

Merlin saw the expression on Gaius’s face darken and asked,

 

“Then what happened?” Gaius seemed distant for a moment before shrugging.

 

“What happens to many when they get a dose of true power, I suppose,” Gaius replied. “He became obsessed with gaining more power and prominence for himself, and began using his magic and abilities to attain it. In fact, when King Uther refused to give him the position of second in command after he demanded it, Morbius tried to surround all of Camelot with gigantic vines that would trap Uther and everyone inside indefinately. His hope was that once people began to starve, Uther would abdicate his throne.”

 

“What happened?” Merlin asked wide-eyed.

 

“Uther…” Gaius sighed deeply before continuing. “Uther took Morbius’ daughter as a prisoner, and told Morbius that he would have her executed if he didn’t lift the spell.”

 

Merlin shook his head slowly.

 

“Don’t tell me…”

 

“Uther didn’t kill her,” Gaius answered, and Merlin sighed in relief. “But she became gravely ill while she was imprisoned, and died shortly after Morbius surrendered.”

 

“Oh, no.” Merlin muttered.

 

“Indeed,” Gaius agreed. “And I’m sure you can imagine who Morbius blames for his daughter’s death. He disappeard shortly after her death, but not before vowing to get his revenge on Uther one day.”

 

“Hmm,” Merlin said as he leaned back.


Though the information Gaius told him was interesting, it didn’t help him answer the questions he had about his friends. Morbius’ quarrel was with Uther, not Gwen and Arthur. He then thought that perhaps Morbius wanted to get to Uther through Arthur, to take an eye for an eye. But neither Gwen nor Arthur or Morgana seemed to be getting ill.

 

“Still worrying about your friends?” Gaius asked intuitively. Merlin snapped out of his thoughts.

 

“Yes,” he replied. “I just have this feeling that the answer is right under my nose and I’m just not seeing it.”

 

“I’m sure you’ll figure it out, lad.” Gaius encouraged before picking up his book.

 

He was about to open it when a knock sounded at the door. Merlin stood up and headed towards the door, his mind still rummaging for answers. His thoughts stopped abruptly as the open door revealed Morgana, looking stunning in a blue dress that fit closely to her body. With her hair upswept and jewels decorating her ears and throat, she was so beautiful that Merlin almost didn’t care that she was half-crazy.

 

“Morgana,” Merlin managed to say. “Er – what are you doing here?”

 

Morgana’s painted lips curved into a smile that both scared and intrigued Merlin. She stepped towards him and he stepped back, letting her into the room unwittingly.

 

“I’ve come to deliver some messages,” Morgana said huskily. She took another step towards Merlin, and Merlin ended up with is back against a wooden beam.

 

“What sort of messages, my dear?” Gaius asked, trying his best not to laugh at Merlin.

 

“Uther would like to see you before the feast, Gaius,” Morgana reported, though her eyes never left Merlin. “And he’d like you to bring the ointment for his shoulder.”

 

“Of course,” Gaius said, slowly rising from the table.

 

“Was…um…was that all?” Merlin asked, trying to impossibly push himself further into the beam. Morgana leaned in placed a hand on his chest.

 

“No,” she replied breathily. “Arthur also wanted you to go to his chambers to help him dress.”

 

The smile on Gaius’ face started to fade as he observed Morgana. He realized now what Merlin was speaking of; even in her most brazen moments, Morgana was never this forward, especially with elders around.

 

“C-couldn’t those messages have been delivered by Gwen?” Merlin sputtered as he tried to sidestep her. Morgana shook her head.

 

“And miss the opportunity to see you again?” she asked. She ran a hand through his hair and stepped even closer. “That would have been silly.”

 

Merlin let out a laugh that sounded more like a high-pitched squeal. His cheeks and ears were on fire again and he felt the urge to run.

 

“Gaius?” Merlin begged, the panic clear in his voice.

 

“You know, you don’t have to go to Arthur if you don’t want to.” Morgana continued. “We could stay here and –“

“You should run along now, Merlin, before Arthur gets cross,” Gaius chimed in. Merlin looked over his shoulder at the man with an expression of sheer relief.

 

“Sorry, got to go,” Merlin said a bit too cheerily. He wriggled himself from Morgana’s grasp. “See you at the feast, then.”

 

“Merlin,” Morgana’s voice was more of a snarl.

 

“Off you go, Merlin.” Gaius encouraged, nodding eagerly at him. Merlin took the cue and mouthed ‘thank you’ to Gaius before heading towards the door.

 

“Merlin, don’t you leave me again!” Morgana commanded, but Merlin was out the door in seconds. She clenched her hands into fists as she let out a gargled moan in the back of her throat. Gaius walked towards Morgana.

 

“Morgana, dear, are you sure that you’re feeling quite…oh”

 

Gaius stopped midsentence when Morgana turned around. Her features were twisted into an angry glare that gave Gaius pause.

 

“How dare you!” Morgana growled as she stepped towards Gaius. “Do you know what I could have done to you for your interference?”

 

Gaius held up his hands as he took a step back.

 

“Morgana, I don’t think you’re thinking quite clearly at the moment-“

 

“You can’t keep Merlin from me, do you understand?” She hissed. “If I find you meddling again, it will be the last mistake you ever make!”

 

Gaius gasped as he saw the bright green flash cross Morgana’s eyes before she spun and stormed out the door. He brought a hand to his chest once her footsteps faded, before heading to Merlin’s room to look at the book of magic.

 

 

~*~*~*

 

Morbius chanted the words under his breath as he stood in the dark of the corner. The section of the castle was always quite desolate, and he knew no one would find him here. More importantly, he knew that Merlin wouldn’t sense his magic here. He stood in wing that housed Queen Igraine’s chamber, which Uther had unwittingly turned into a shrine. Morbius used to pity the king for the sadness he felt over his deceased wife, but that quickly dissapated after he took the one thing that meant the most to him.

 

Olivia.

 

His precious, innocent Olivia. Morbius had seen no other that equalled her beauty or grace in his life. His wonderful daughter, his only child. And Uther took her from him. Morbius opened his eyes as his fists clenched. He would have his revenge.

 

It only took a moment before the spell began to work, and Morbius’ hair changed from it’s dark brown to light blond, and his features began to contort and change, until his face no longer looked like his own, but resembled the servant boy he’d killed shortly after stealing into the castle. Morbius walked over to a mirror on the wall to observe his work and smiled with unfamiliar teeth.

 

“Perfect,” Morbius whispered. His face was completely disguised but for his eyes, that remained the dark ominous brown they’d become once he’d turned to dark magic. Satisfied that he wouldn’t be recognized, Morbius quickly changed his clothes before hurrying out of the wing. He paid no mind to the grumbling boy he nearly knocked over on his path to the dining hall.

 

“Oy! Watch where you’re going!” Dristan yelled after the blond boy who ran past him, knocking him off his feet.

 

This day was just getting worse and worse for Dristan; first messing up the spell with the flower, then having his true love fawn after Arthur, and now realizing that he couldn’t live without her, but having no idea how to make her see that. He placed a hand on his throbbing backside before trying to get up. He stopped short when he saw a crushed flower on the floor where he’d collided with the boy.

 

He reached down and picked up the rumpled flower, recognizing the deep purple bloom immediately. Dristan scratched his head as he tried to recall if he’d taken the flower out of the ivy he’d weaved it in that morning.

 

“Are you alright?”

 

The voice drew Dristan out of his thoughts as he looked up to see Arthur’s servant standing over him.

 

“He…he ran right into me,” Dristan said distantly as he shook his head. Merlin extended his hand to him, and he took it as he stood up.

 

“Who?” Merlin asked, not exactly certain why he even cared.

 

Dristan looked to where the boy had ran, but instead of speaking, looked back at his hand that held the purple flower.

 

“What’s that?” Merlin asked as he eyed the flower. He noticed that the bloom had a strange shimmer to it when it moved.

 

“Venustas flower,” Dristan recanted. “I think he dropped it…or perhaps I did,”

 

Merlin eyed the young man suspiciously. His behaviour was odd, and for some reason he seemed familiar. Dristan’s face suddenly settled into a scowl.

 

“Stupid flower doesn’t work anyways,” Dristan mumbled. “It’s Arthur she wants, not me. Stupid Arthur. I won’t let him have her…I won’t allow it.”

 

Dristan’s fist closed over the flower as he spoke, and it was then that Merlin noticed the small puff of green mist push out from it. Dristan’s eyes closed as he inhaled deeply.

 

“Smells so…sweet,” Dristan mumbled, before opening his eyes. Merlin then saw the same green flash he’d seen in Arthur’s eyes that morning. Merlin’s eyes widened as he pointed to the bloom.

 

“Where did you get that?” Merlin asked. But Dristan continued to stare ahead as though he hadn’t heard him. He was about to ask again when he heard a door slam at the other end of the hallway.

 

“Merlin!”

 

Merlin’s eyes closed with exasperation as he turned to look at Arthur.

 

“Exactly how do you plan to help me dress from way down there?” Arthur asked with his hands on his hips. “Plan on using a little magic?” Merlin rolled his eyes at the irony.

 

“I’m coming, sire,” Merlin answered flatly.

 

“NOW, Merlin!” Arthur yelled before heading back into his chamber.

 

Merlin sighed before turning back to Dristan, who was now looking to where Arthur had been with a look the Merlin could only describe as murderous.

 

“He’ll not stand between me and Tara,” Dristan growled. He started toward the chamber and Merlin grabbed his arm.

 

“Wait!” Merlin cried. “Listen to me, you’re not thinking straight! That’s Arthur – Prince Arthur! He’ll kill you-“

 

“Let me go!” Dristan yelled as he tried to pull out of Merlin’s grasp. “I won’t let him keep me from my love!”

 

Merlin continued to pull on him, until Dristan suddenly turned and hit Merlin hard across the face. Merlin stumbled back, slightly dazed from the blow. Once he got his bearings, he saw Dristan running determinedly towards Arthur’s chamber and knew he had to do something quickly or he’d burst into the room. Merlin looked around quickly to ensure they were alone before looking back at Dristan. His eyes flashed brilliant gold for a moment and Dristan’s body went sailing into the wall, before sliding limply to the ground. Merlin stood up quickly and jogged over to him. He saw the flower sitting limply in his hand and took it, shoving it into his pocket.

 

“MerLIN!!”

 

“I’m coming!” Merlin shouted back. He would have to get the flower to Gaius, but would deal with Arthur first.

 

~*~*~*

 

Gwen smoothed her hand over the red dress she wore as she admired her reflection. The dress was one of Morgana’s old ones, and was a bit big, but it still looked lovelier than anything else she owned. She’d taken the time to sweep her hair up and use some of the perfume that Morgana had given her. She hoped that she looked as pretty as she felt. She really hoped that Arthur thought she looked pretty as well.

 

“Arthur,” Gwen said on a sigh. How she loved him. Though she knew it was only a few hours since she’d seen him, it felt like an eternity. She wasn’t sure that she would be able to go another night with his absence. She jumped when she heard the door the chamber slam, and turned to see Morgana storm into the room.

 

“Are you alright, my lady?” Gwen asked stepping closer to her.

 

“The nerve of that old miser!” Morgana ranted. “I was this close – this close to having Merlin, and he sent him away! I should have him jailed!”


”Who are you talking about?” Gwen asked in confusion.


”Gaius ofcourse!” Morgana answered as she paced to another side of the room. “Can’t he see that Merlin and I were meant for one another? Why would he try to interfere?”

 

“Merlin?” Gwen said. “You mean...Arthur’s servant Merlin?”

 

“How many Merlin’s do you know?” Morgana snapped. Gwen winced.

 

“Sorry,” she replied quietly. “I just…had no idea you felt – well, anything for Merlin.”

 

Morgana stopped pacing and folded her arms.

 

“Oh, Gwen, I don’t know how to describe it,” Morgana began. “It’s like, it suddenly all became so clear. I’ve had mixed feelings about him for ages, but I just ignored them. But this morning…something happened. I just…knew that Merlin was the man I loved. Do you understand what I mean?”

 

Gwen’s face melted into a sappy grin.

 

“Yes,” she purred. “I understand exactly! That is the way I feel about Arthur! And knowing he feels the same…”

Morgana reached out to take Gwen’s hands.

 

“I’m so happy for you Gwen,” Morgana said. She then frowned. “But I don’t think that Merlin feels the same about me.”

 

Gwen’s face matched Morgana’s.

 

“Nonsense! Who wouldn’t be in love with you?” Gwen said soothingly. “Merlin’s just shy, like me. You just have to be firm with him. He’ll come ‘round.”

 

Morgana gave a half-smile at this.

 

“You think so?”

 

“Absolutely.” Gwen guaranteed. “Now lets get you finished up for this feast. When Merlin sees you tonight, he won’t be able to turn away, you’ll see.”

 

Morgana kissed Gwen on the cheek before taking a seat at her vanity. She fully intended on making Merlin notice her this evening, and nothing was going to stop her.

 

 

~*~*~*

 

Morbius waited patiently until the cook finally left the room. He then slipped quietly towards the table that held the food that would be served that night at the feast. After reaching into his pocket, he pulled out the small vial of Talimine extract he’d brought and held it tightly in his hands. He chanted the spell quickly which caused the extract to glow, before pouring the contents of it into the large cauldron of stew. That would take care of Camelot’s precious Knights. He then stepped over to the counter that held a large bottle of wine; the one the only Uther drank from.

 

Morbius quickly contemplated using the Zephorus plant in his pouch to poison the wine, but that would be too quick, he decided. He wanted Uther to suffer as he had suffered. He had to be sure that Uther watched as his son was destroyed by a crazed woman claiming to be his lover – or better yet, to see his own son attempt to kill him over a servant girl. What sweet comeuppance it would be to have the Pendragons fight to the death and see Uther standing over his son’s lifeless body!

 

Morbius had to smile at the idea of that, especially since it would be in front of an audience. And to see the high and mighty Uther’s face when he realized that it was he, Morbius, that had orchestrated it all and was about to take his miserable life…

 

“What are you doing in here?”

 

Morbius started at the stern voice of the cook, but recovered quickly.

 

“I’ve got a message for the prince.” Morbius said, disgusted with the boy’s pubescent voice. The cook pointed to the door irritatedly.

 

“Then take it to him out there, and stay out of my kitchen!” the cook scolded.

 

Morbius bowed at the portly woman before heading out the kitchen with a triumphant smile.