Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yea, it's been forever. There's a ton of reasons, but I'll just get on with the finale to this story. THanks for reading!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Five

 

Merlin was braced for it. He was expecting blinding pain and unbearable fear. But it didn’t come. He could sense the magic around him like a thick blanket, but he felt no pain. Was he dead already? Was Morbius that strong?

 

“Impossible.”

 

The word was a mere whisper, but Merlin heard it clearly. Merlin slowly opened his eyes, his vision eventually focusing on his outstretched arms in front of him. There was a bright, golden light emitting from his hands that had formed a large bubble around him. He’d seen this before, once when the Dragon had tried to roast him in anger. Merlin didn’t know how he’d conjured this…shield then anymore than he knew how he’d done it now. His eyes now went to Morbius who’s face clearly showed his surprise.

 

“You don’t understand the power you posess, do you Merlin?” Morbius said after a moment. Merlin swallowed thickly, and his shield began to waver. Morbius looked down for a moment, seemingly deep in thought before returning his glare to Merlin, his expression now purposeful.

 

“It needn’t be like this, Merlin.” Morbius said, his tone almost jovial. “You have more power than you fully comprehend. I understand now how Nimueh fell to you. But perhaps I’m being too hasty.”

 

Morbius turned to glance at Uther’s unconscious body.

 

“Your king does not know of your powers, does he warlock?” Morbius asked, already knowing the answer. Merlin inhaled sharply.

 

“No.”

 

Morbius returned his gaze.

 

“And neither does your precious Prince Arthur. Do you have any idea of what they would do to you if they found out?” Morbius continued. “If they ever realized that such a powerful warlock was living and working right under their noses?”

 

Merlin looked away. He worried about being discovered every day. He knew very well what Uther would do to him, and Gaius if he was ever exposed.

 

“Aye, you do.” Morbius answered when Merlin remained silent. “I don’t understand why you’re here, Merlin, or what you’re plot is in ingratiating yourself to the Prince, but I can assure you that if your identity is discovered, Uther will have your head.”

 

“I know.” Merlin answered. Morbius raised a brow.

 

“Then why do you do it? Why do you try and protect a man that would have you killed without a second thought?” Morbius asked. “Uther is a murderer. He killed my beautiful Olivia who’d done him no harm. He’s killed hundreds of innocents on his insane quest to erase magic. You should be joining me! Once I am king of Camelot, you would never have to hid your true nature again! You could live like a god amongst men!”

 

“Magic comes with responsibility, just like power.” Merlin responded, carefully stepping towards Arthur. “Both can be abused. Uther abuses his power, but you abuse your gift of magic as well, and that’s just as wrong.”

 

“I’ve had no choice!” Morbius hissed. “Uther has driven me to this! His murderous ways have forced me to take matters into my own hands. He must pay for what he’s done! I lost my only child, and he must suffer the same. Olivia’s blood must be avenged!”

 

“Then you’re no better!” Merlin countered angrily. “Arthur is no more responsible for what happened to your daughter than Olivia was for your actions! If you kill Arthur, you’ll be no better than Uther! You’ll just prove to everyone that Uther was right; that people with magic can’t be trusted.”

 

Morbius stared intently at Merlin for a moment, and Merlin was sure he saw regret in the warlock’s dark eyes. But as quickly as the regret came, it was replaced with the cold curtain Merlin saw first.

 

“It’s really a shame, Merlin.” Morbius said, his voice now flat with indifference. “You could have been a great ally. But now you will die with along with the Pendragons.”

 

Merlin glanced up quickly and noted that Morbius was standing under a large wooden beam that supported the roof. He whispered his spell, focusing on the beam, feeling the wave of energy he always felt when magic flowed through him. A second later the crack of the beam could be heard as it split from it’s holster and started crashing towards Morbius. Morbius looked up and quickly thrust out his hand, which caused the beam to change direction just before it hit him and land on the floor to his right.

 

“You’ll have to do better than that, Merlin.” Morbius growled before driving his hand towards Merlin. Merlin felt the invisible force hit his chest so hard that he lost his balance and propelled backward, landing awkwardly onto a feast table behind him. He winced at the sharp pain he felt in his side from hitting the solid wood.

 

“Incendius!” Morbius cried and a moment later, Merlin’s eyes widened in fear as he saw a round ball of fire heading towards his face. He held up his hands and chanted a blocking spell just as the flames neared his face. He felt the heat as the ball dissipated at his hand and let out a sigh of relief.

 

Vina Growan!” Morbius spat, and Merlin heard a loud crack from beside him. He turned towards it and his eyes stretched wide as he noted the ivy that the ivy that was hanging from one of the trellis’ behind him suddenly began to stretch rapdidly, their leafy ends reaching towards Merlin. He backed away on his elbows, desperately trying to get his footing. He was about to turn and run when he felt the hard tug on his boot – one of the vines had managed to encircle his ankle. Merlin felt panic grip him as he vainly tried to kick it away, only to have it quickly move up his leg. It was only a second later before his other foot was entangled, and soon he felt another vine racing across his chest.

 

“It’s no use, Merlin.” Morbius said victoriously. “You’ll never outrun my vines. They are everywhere, they surround this castle.”


Merlin struggled in vain as the vines continued to surround him and tighten to the point where he could barely writhe. Morbius stalked slowly towards him until his feet were inches from Merlin’s head.

 

“Such a pity. We could have been legendary.” Morbius lamented. Merlin narrowed his eyes.

 

“I would never help you destroy Arthur.”

 

“Then you will die with the house of Pendragon.” Morbius spat. “You will get to watch Arthur die along with his father, and then I shall dispose of you – once you free Nimueh.”

 

Merlin struggled again against his botanical captor, but found that they wouldn’t budge. Physical force wasn’t going to help him now. If he didn’t strike now, Morbius would kill him, and everyone he cared about. Camelot would fall. Merlin knew he couldn’t let that happen. He closed his eyes and centered himself, seeing the vines that held him deep in his mind. He then focused with all of his strength on seeing them loosen until they fell off of his body.

 

Morbius’ eyes went from Merlin to Arthur, who stirred slightly in his deep slumber.

 

“It is a shame, Arthur Pendragon.” Morbius said softly. “If I thought for one moment that you might side with me against your father, I would spare you. But it isn’t to be so.”

 

Morbius then lifted his hands, the action causing Arthur’s body to rise along with it.

 

“Come, let us wake your father so he can witness your final breath, young prince.”

 

Morbius turned and started towards Uther, when he suddenly felt a fierce force to his back, knocking him squarely to the floor. Arthur’s body fell limply back to the floor as Merlin scrambled to his feet. Morbius let out a curse as he pushed himself onto his hands, glaring at Merlin.

 

“Impressive,” he growled. “But not good enough. Growan!”

 

But Merlin was ready this time. He looked at the vines he’d just loosed that sprang back to life at Morbius’ words and held out his hand.

 

Frēosan!”  Merlin cried. At once, the vines started to cover with light frost that quickly turned into solid ice, freezing them in place. Merlin refocused on Morbius, his eyes blazing in anger. “This is your last chance Morbius! Leave Camelot now and never return, or else…or else-“

 

“Or else you’ll destroy me like you did, Nimueh?” Morbius mocked. “If you haven’t the courage to even utter it, then you surely don’t have the chops to do it. Goodbye, Merlin! Gefaran!”

 

A bright blue light shot forth from Morbius’ outstretched hands and headed directly towards Merlin, but Merlin had expected it.

 

Eftsið!”  Merlin chanted, his hand stretched in return. The blue surge seemingly hit a wall when it reached Merlin’s outstretched hand, only to turn around and start back towards Morbius. Morbius’ eyes widened in surprise as the light came at him at double it’s original speed. Merlin closed his eyes and covered his face as the light hit it’s target and a bloodcurdling scream sounded from Morbius’ open mouth. It wasn’t until the screaming stopped that Merlin dared to let his arm drop. Lying on the floor in a sea of dark fabric was Morbius, his coal black eyes staring lifelessly at the ceiling. His pale skin now had a bluish tinge to it. Merlin didn’t have to touch him to know that he was dead.

 

A long sigh of relief as his knees wobbled. He’d never been so scared in his life and yet he felt weak. He didn’t know if his reflection spell would work, it was a dangerous gamble He let himself lean against a pillar nearby as he caught his breath. Perhaps his duty to protect Arthur was more than he could handle.

 

“Merlin! Are you alright lad?”

 

Merlin had to smile at the sound of Gaius’ voice. He turned towards the sound to see Gaius hurrying towards him with a small brown pouch in his hand.

 

“I’m fine, Gaius, just a little shaken up.” Merlin answered. Gaius reached him and looked Merlin over carefully.

 

“Yes…yes, I do believe you are alright,” Gaius said after a moment. “What happened here? Why is everyone on the ground? Please don’t tell me-“

 

“They’re not dead, Gaius,” Merlin said. “They’re just asleep. Morbius put some sort of potion into the food.”

 

Gaius let out a deep sigh, relieved that his worst fears weren’t true.

 

“Turns out that Morbius had taken on the form of one of the castle’s servants. That’s how he was able to get so close to Uther. He was about to kill Arthur when I arrived.” Merlin continued. “He was far more powerful than I expected.”

 

Gaius nodded gravely as he stepped towards Morbius’ body.

 

“Yes, he would be. Morbius has been practicing magic longer than you’ve been alive. He spent many years with the masters of the Old Religion. Uther had good reason to fear him.”

 

“But…if that’s true than how did I defeat him?” Merlin asked. “Shouldn’t he have easily beaten me?”

 

Gaius examined Morbius quickly before using his fingers to close his lifeless eyes. He stood up and looked solemnly at Merlin.

 

“To be honest with you, Merlin, I am a bit surprised that you were able to best him. He’s destroyed wizards older and more knowledgeable than you.” Gaius answered. Merlin swallowed thickly.

 

“So, what does that mean?” Merlin asked. Gaius shrugged.

 

“I’m not sure, Merlin. Perhaps he underestimated you, like Nimueh. Or perhaps…perhaps you’re far more powerful than either of us realized.”

 

Merlin didn’t know what to say to that. The Dragon had said similar things to him, but he never knew how much of what the Dragon said that he could trust. Gaius let out a sigh.

 

“Either way, let’s just be thankful that you were the winner in this. But come now, we need to apply this antidote to all these people before they wake up and the effects of that flower start all over again.”

 

Merlin nodded firmly, remembering why he’d headed to the dining room in the first place.

 

“Right.” Merlin said. “Give me the powder.”


Gaius handed Merlin the small brown sachel, and Merlin emptied it’s finely ground contents into his palm. He then closed his eyes before throwing the powder into the air and shouting,

 

Dispersa!

 

At once, the power exploded in every possible direction, its fine grounds falling all over the sleeping bodies in the dining room.

 

“There, that should do it.” Merlin said proudly. Gaius nodded in agreement.

 

“Yes, and if there’s anyone we missed, we can quarantine them. The effects of the flower should wear off in another day or so.” Gaius assured. “Come now then, let’s make sure that there aren’t any more casualties.”

 

Merlin nodded firmly, taking one last look at Morbius before following Gaius towards Uther.

 

 

*****

 

 

“Are you not going to finish that?” Merlin asked, nodding to the half-eaten plate of food that sat before Arthur in his room. Arthur blinked away his wandering thoughts and frowned at his plate.

 

“No, you can take it.” He said bleakly. Merlin dropped the boots he was shining and headed towards the table.

 

“Was something wrong with it?” Merlin asked as he gathered the plate and utensils. “Shall I tell the cook?”

 

“No, no. It was fine. I’m just not that hungry, I guess.” Arthur replied. “ I still can’t believe all that happened I guess. The way that sorcerer was able to make his way into the castle…maybe my father’s right to be so fearful of magic.” Merlin shook his head.

 

“Not every person with magic is like Morbius,” Merlin stated. “He was bent on revenge and he let it drive him mad. I imagine your father would have been much the same if Morbius had succeeded in killing you.”

 

Arthur frowned as he though over Merlin’s words.

 

“I suppose you have a point.” He conceded. “I guess I should just be glad that no one was hurt.” Merlin shrugged and turned to leave. “Merlin wait.”

 

Merlin stopped and slowly turned back to Arthur. Arthur stood and folded his arms, which Merlin knew meant that he was about to ask Merlin something uncomfortable.

 

“You…you say you weren’t affected by that spell that Morbius put on me and Gwen, is that right?” Arthur asked. Merlin nodded.

 

“Yes sire. By some fortune, I managed not to be touched by anyone affected.” Merlin lied.

 

“So then, you recall all that happened while we were all under the enchantment?” Arthur continued. Merlin nodded again. “Well, my memory… that is, I can remember some things, but others are bit groggy.”

 

“Gaius said that it’s a perfectly normal side effect of the plant.” Merlin offered.  Arthur grimaced.

 

“Yes but… Merlin, I need you to be perfectly honest with me.” Arthur said sternly. “I seem…that is, I think I remember… Gwen and I – that is, I may have said or done some slightly rash things.”


“I believe you were planning on marrying her, sire.” Merlin volunteered, doing his best to hide his grin. Arthur looked up sheepishly.

 

“Er yeah, I think I remember saying something to that effect.” Arthur then let out a groan and started pacing the room. “I fear that I may have made a complete fool of myself, Merlin. The one thing that I remember clearly is that I wanted to be with Gwen, no matter what. I would have married her last night if Morbius hadn’t stopped me. I just… I don’t know how I’m going to face...”

 

Merlin swallowed back a chuckle. It amused him to see Arthur so flustered.

 

“I don’t think you need to worry sire. Most of the people at the feast were under the influence of the flower too, so they likely won’t remember much. And everyone else knows about the enchantment now so, they’ll know that you weren’t yourself.” Merlin consoled. Arthur nodded, but then shook his head.

 

“It’s…it’s not the people that I’m worried about.” Arthur said quietly. Merlin nodded, finally understanding.

 

“I’m sure that Gwen will understand what happened, better than anyone.” Merlin said. “I’m sure she did or said some things that she wishes she didn’t too.”

 

Arthur’s face suddenly looked worried.

 

“You mean – you think that she didn’t mean any of what she said to me yesterday?” Arthur asked. Merlin could see the panic in his eyes. He didn’t realize until just then just how much Arthur really cared for Gwen. Merlin gave him a reassuring smile.

 

“One thing you should know about the Venustas flower – the plant that cast the spell – is that it can’t create feelings that aren’t already there. It can only intensify what was already in the heart.” Merlin recited.

 

Arthur’s forehead scrunched in confusion as he processed Merlin’s words, and slowly a smile spread across his face. When he noticed that Merlin was smiling along with him, he cleared his throat and his smile immediately faded.

 

“Well what are you doing standing around? Those plates aren’t going to get to the kitchen themselves! And my boots are still quite dusty from what I can see.”

 

Merlin rolled his eyes, but gave Arthur a small bow.

 

“Of course, sire.” He started out of the room and muttered, “I think I preferred you as a lovesick puppy.”

 

****

 

Gwen smoothed her hands over the folded red gown. She still couldn’t believe that she’d worn it; that she’d behaved at all the way she did. Though she knew it was because of the spell, she still felt as though something was different now. She felt…lonelier. Gwen knew that Arthur didn’t mean the things he’d said to her, that it was the magic talking, but it still touched her heart. She couldn’t stop thinking about his eyes, his smile his touch…how wonderful it was to hear him tell her that he loved her. In her heart she knew that she should forget about it, but there was a stubborn part of her that refused to believe it was all a lie. Perhaps she was a fool for it, but allowing herself to think that there was a small part of Arthur that felt the same for her as she did him gave her hope.

 

“You needn’t fuss so much over that dress, Gwen.” Morgana’s voice interrupted Gwen’s thoughts. “It’s an old one. In fact, you could keep it.” Gwen shook her head.

 

“Oh no, I can’t.” Gwen said sternly. “It’s a noble woman’s gown. Where else would I wear such a thing?”

 

“I suppose you have a point.” Morgana agreed. She then allowed herself to flop onto the edge of her bed. “I still can’t believe what happened yesterday. Oh Gwen, if you’d only seen how I behaved with Merlin…”

 

Gwen couldn’t stop the giggle that emerged.

 

“I’m sure it wasn’t as bad as you think it was.” Gwen soothed, but Morgana shot her a mortified look.

 

“No, I’m pretty sure it was. I…I actually cornered him, Gwen. I can remember trying to force him to kiss me. I can’t even bear the embarrassment of it. I just hope he pretends it never happened.”

 

Gwen giggled again as she put a reassuring hand on Morgana’s shoulder.

 

“Merlin isn’t the sort to rub it in, Morgana. I’m sure that he’ll conduct himself with the utmost respect.” Gwen said. “At least you didn’t attempt to elope with the crown prince. How’s that for utter humiliation.”

 

Morgana looked up at Gwen’s face and pouted.

 

“I’m sure Arthur understands, Gwen.” Morgana said. “He wasn’t alone in those feelings.”

 

Gwen gave her a half smile.

 

“It’s alright. I’m not foolish enough to believe that Arthur meant what he was saying. It was just an…unfortunate mistake.”

 

Morgana looked out the window and saw Merlin, who was shaking out a rug on Arthur’s balcony and her heart made a small flutter.

 

“I don’t know Gwen.” Morgana said distantly. “I have a feeling that the enchantment isn’t responsible for everything that was said and done.”

 

Gwen followed Morgana’s stare. She could see the smallest glimpse of Arthur in his room, likely readying himself for the day.

 

“I suppose we’ll never know, will we?” Gwen replied.

 

 

****

 

“I imagine everything is back to the way it should be with Arthur, then?”


Gaius asked the question after finishing his bowl of stew. Merlin nodded slowly.

 

“I guess so. He seems to remember some of what happened but, overall I think he’ll be just fine.” Merlin replied. “It’s a shame though.”

 

“How so?”

 

“It’s just that…I think that Arthur may have real feelings for Gwen, and she for him. But now because of the spell they feel awkward and-“

 

“It’s probably for the best, Merlin.” Gaius interrupted. “Even if there are feelings between Gwen and Arthur, Uther would never allow such a relationship to occur. Sir Leon told me that Uther was ready to see Gwen jailed when he thought they were going to elope.”

 

Merlin’s heart sank. He’d forgotten about Uther’s stubbornness.

 

“I suppose you’re right.” Merlin admitted. “I don’t even know what he’d have done to me if he ever found out about what Morgana tried to do.”


Gaius stifled a laugh but quickly straightened his face at Merlin’s serious glare.

 

“Quite.” Gaius replied, though his voice still shook with mirth. But Gaius then noticed the Merlin’s expression was continuing to darken. “What is it, Merlin?”

 

Merlin shifted uncomfortably, his eyes set in the empty bowl in front of him.

 

“Morbius said something to me before he died. Something I haven’t been able to stop thinking about.” Merlin confessed. “I keep worrying that it might be true.”

 

“What did he say, Merlin?” Gaius entreated. Merlin sighed before looking at Gaius.

 

“He – he said that there was a way to bring Nimueh back. And he said that it was my magic that could make that possible.” Merlin said in one breath. “He said he was going to make me do it – bring Nimueh back before he killed me. But it’s not true, is it Gaius? Nimueh’s dead – she can’t be brought back, right?”

 

A frown set deeply into Gaius’s wizened face, letting Merlin know that he wasn’t going to like Gaius’ answer.

 

“I’m afraid it’s not quite that simple Merlin.” Gaius said solemnly. “All people like you – people born with magic – are joined by it. Magic is constant; it doesn’t begin nor end. It simply is. All the differs is the channel is chooses to work through, like you and Nimueh.”

 

“So what does that mean, Gaius?” Merlin asked, his fear creating a ball in his stomach.

 

“It means that…there is a real possibility that since you used magic to destroy Nimueh’s physical body, her essence may still be out there, simply waiting for another host.”

 

Merlin couldn’t swallow. The idea that Nimueh could simply be waiting for a chance to return…to exact revenge was terrifying. He nearly jumped when he felt Gaius’ pat his shoulder.

 

“No need to look so frightened, Merlin.” Gaius said soothingly. “You would have to exert a serious amount of magical energy to even make such a thing remotely possible, and I don’t think you’re there just yet, my boy.”

 

Merlin let out a nervous laugh. Perhaps Gaius was right. After all, his magic was still young, even the Dragon had told him that he still had a ways to go. He would never let Nimueh return to this plane. He would work his hardest to ensure that she stayed wherever she was for eternity.

 

“You’re right, Gaius. Morbius was just trying to frighten me. It’ll be fine. Besides, I hardly ever use my magic anyways.” Merlin said brightly.

 

“Indeed,” Gaius agreed. “So why don’t you show me those non-magical skills and clean up these supper dishes?”

 

Merlin gave Gaius a mock serious glare before rising and clearing the table.

 

 

***

 

Tara sniffed loudly as she wiped her damp face onto her sleeve. Her life was ruined. Not only had she made a fool of herself in front of Prince Arthur, but Uther had relieved her of her castle duties when he realized that she had feelings for the Prince. If that hadn’t been bad enough, that insufferable Dristan had the nerve to apologize to her for causing so much trouble by giving her some strange amulet – that she got him to admit that he’s stolen off of the dark warlock Morbius’ body.


She had half a mind to report Dristan to Uther, but she knew that anything she said now would barely be taken seriously. Besides, despite his annoying tendencies, she didn’t want to see him hanged. All Tara wanted now was a way to start over and forget all that had happened. She didn’t know how she’d tell her mother that she’d lost her job. It would only be a matter of time before she’d be forced to marry to keep her family from complete destitution.  A fresh sob was about to emerge from her throat when she heard the faintest of whispers.

 

She stopped crying and listened, not sure if she’d heard anything. But then the whisper happened again. Tara stood from her small bed and surveyed the room, trying to distinguish where the whispers were coming from. Her room was too small for anyone else to be in there with her, and her window was closed. She finally walked up to the small chair that sat in her room and pulled away her shawl. She winced as the bright yellow glow from the amulet that Dristan gave her hit her swollen eyes. The whispers were louder now, and she could understand what they said.

 

Put it on

 

You must act quickly

 

Put it on

 

The words kept circling in her ears, their urgency seemingly getting higher with every rendition. Tara began to feel as though she’d go mad if she didn’t do as the whispers said; she couldn’t seem to keep her eyes off of the amulet. And then she saw the small flicker inside of it. At first it looked as though there was a face in the amulet, but Tara couldn’t tell. Maybe if she could just look a bit closer, she reasoned, even though a small voice in the back of her mind begged her not to touch it.


Before she could stop herself, Tara’s hand stretched out and picked up the chain that held the amulet. She lifted it until it was level with her eyes and found herself looking back at the face of a woman; one who was very beautiful with eyes bluer than any she’d ever seen.

 

Put it on!

 

The command came from the woman in the amulet. Her eyes flashed as she spoke, and Tara found that she was unable to resist her command. She slowly raised the chain above her head until it fell around her neck, and at once she felt as though her head was splitting open and then…

 

Tara took a step over to the basin that held the water she used for washing. She leaned over until she saw her reflection, touching her hair delicately and running a hand across her smooth face. A broad, confident smile spread across her lips as she admired her new bright, blue eyes.

 

“Not bad,” she said, and then scrunched her forehead at her voice. She then turned and walked over to her window, pushing it open so she could see the view clearly. In the distance, the castle stood in its usual majesty as it was bathed in moonlight. Tara smiled sinisterly as she stared at it.

 

“Sleep well, house of Pendragon.” Tara said lowly. “For your days are numbered, and I, Nimueh, will have my revenge.”





Chapter End Notes:
That's all folks! Thanks again for reading!