Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


    To answer Poet’s question, the ‘f**k’ that had been killed was an Italian named Salvatore DeSantos. Once Poet heard who the victim was, he relaxed. It was an outright lie he told to Burr Redding that had caused this particular death. And if he not told it, his azz would be lying on a slab in the coroner’s office.

    Meanwhile, Fin was more than a bit agitated, not only to discover that Melinda could not leave because of this newest death, but also, Officer Sean Murphy wanted to see him in McManus’s office. Apparently Kareem Said was spotted walking around an area with a guard to accompany him. The records were checked and Fin was discovered to have been that guard.

    Now, while Melinda had to look over the newest murder victim, Fin was getting dressed down in McManus’s office by both him and Murphy.

    “Look, Said got away from me. I would’ve called for back-up but Dr. West looked upset.” he lied. “I mean I didn’t expect to see her down that hallway, and I didn’t expect Said to try anything with her. I felt I had to protect our staff.”

    Murphy said nothing but McManus looked concerned.

    “This is the second incident I’ve heard of regarding Said and Mindy West. What’s going on with Said? I mean, he’s never been like this with any of the other female staff that works here.”

    “Well,” Murphy admitted, “Dr. West is pretty good looking. Maybe Said can’t help himself.”

    McManus said nothing to that. Said had better fucking learn to control himself, since he was interested in Dr. West himself! And he was still waiting for her answer about dinner tonight.

    “I understand ‘Frank’. And I agree. Given the choice, you had to look out for a staff member. But if Dr. West is hassled one more time, she’s likely to quit. And she’s doing good work so far. I’ll pay her a visit to make sure she’s alright.”

    “Uh,” Fin hedged, “she’s probably doing that autopsy on DeSantos.”

    Murphy nodded.

    “Yeah, Frank’s right. She probably won’t want any interruptions.”

    McManus nodded.

    “Fine. I’ll see her later. But I am going to talk to Said.”

    Fin refrained from sighing! Damn! He doubted Said would back up his story. Then again, he did seem to care for Melinda. Maybe he realized that blowing his cover would be bad for Melinda as well.

    “Hey, don’t worry about it,” Murphy said to him, “I mean if I had a choice between the two, I would make sure that a fellow staff member was alright. But McManus is right. Said, for the most part, is pretty low key. It makes me wonder if there isn’t more to this.”

    “What do you mean?” Fin asked, keeping his tone level.

    “I mean it’s almost as if Said thinks he has a right to be fresh with her, you know? Like she was an old wife or girlfriend. But I doubt a woman like that would’ve ever given a guy like Said the time of day.”

    Fin said nothing to that. He could feel this undercover assignment going down the crapper! Even Murphy thought that Said and Melinda could’ve had a past. And even though Murphy seemed to be pushing the thought out of his mind now, one more incident that put Said and Melinda together, and people would start talking.  And there was Officer Howell to contend with as well.

    He was going to recommend to Cragen that Melinda not come back here tomorrow. She tried to get Said to see the light and he refused. Whatever happened to him was on him. They would have to find another way to prove that Ron Carver was not who he said he was.

                                                             ****

    McManus opened the glass door to Said’s pod. Motor mouth Omar White was  going on about nothing and Said was massaging his temples. He almost looked relieved when McManus came in.

    “Omar, take a walk. I need to talk to Said.” McManus said gruffly.

    “Take a walk? And do what?” Omar asked. McManus, who’s eyes had been on Said, now looked directly at Omar.

    “I don’t know, Omar. Why don’t you go down and watch TV?”

    “Because that puppet shit is always on! How come y’all never have any soap operas on up in here? I liked that one called ‘Days Of Our Lives’ before I got locked up in here.”

    “Omar, I need to talk to Said.” McManus repeated.

    “Are you going to get Days Of Our Lives up in here or what?” Omar countered. Said stopped massaging his temples and walked over to Omar, resting a hand on his shoulder.

    “Why don’t you go to the library and look online, Omar? Don’t they have updates on those things?”

    “What things?” Omar asked.

    “Soap operas.” Said replied in a tired sounding voice. Omar nodded.

    “Yeah, they do. I guess I’ll head over there.” he said, walking out of the pod and closing the door behind him. Said sat down on his bed.

    “What do you want, McManus?”

    “I want to know why you keep harassing Dr. West?”

    Said raised a brow.

    “Who?”

    “Oh don’t give me that crap, Said! Mindy West!”

    Said nodded to himself. Melinda.

    “Has she said something?”

    “No, she’s too classy to say anything! But I know that you managed to get away from one of the C.O.’s so you could harass her in a dark hallway. This is so unlike you, Said. What’s going on with you?”

    “So the C.O. told you this?”

    “Does it matter?” McManus argued. Said turned and stared out of his pod window.

    “Maybe she should find work elsewhere, if she’s too scared to even answer a friendly ‘hello’.”

    McManus’s eyes widened! Was Said admitting that he had indeed been harassing the new doctor? McManus moved so that he was standing within Said’s peripheral vision.

    “Kareem, just so you know, if anything happens to Dr. West, courtesy of you,  not only will I make sure you are returned to gen pop, where the majority will not be so enamored with your leadership, but you will never get out of here.”

    Said turned to look at McManus.

    “That’s a very strong threat coming from you.”

    “If you must know, I am very interested in getting to know Dr. West. And I think she feels the same way.”

    All Said could do is slowly smile. McManus didn’t care for that!

    “What?!”

    “If you think so. I mean, I will stay away from her.”

    “See that you do. We’ll probably be going out to dinner tonight so...”

    Said blinked hard!

    “Excuse me?”

    “You heard me. Said, look, you just need to get it out of your head that any staff member, especially an accomplished woman such as Dr. West, would be interested in pursuing a relationship with a convict.”

    “You’re going out with Mel...Dr. West, tonight?” Said asked.

    McManus realized he may have said too much. He should’ve never said anything to an inmate about his personal life. Then again, everyone’s personal life, seemed to be common knowledge in Em City anyway.

    “Just stay away from her.” McManus answered, turning to leave the pod. What was he doing? He had just had lunch with Mindy West, asked her out, where in which she had not given a definitive answer, and already he was willing to lock Kareem Said away in solitary if he even looked at her sideways. He shook his head and walked back to his office.

    Meanwhile, Said felt free now to glare at McManus’s back! Melinda was actually going to go out with that man? McManus had been lying, right? He had to be.

    Then again, McManus had dated a lot of female staff here in Em City. But Melinda? His Mel? No. No, he had to know if Melinda was even considering dating that...that...Said did some breathing techniques, then got down on his knees to pray. He dropped a little too quickly and his cock, which always became hard at the thought of Mel, almost slammed to the floor inside of his pants.

    He emitted a small yelp, just as Omar came wandering back in.

    “Man, all the computers were used up and there’s a 35 minute wait, can you believe that? You ever watched ‘Days Of Our Lives’? There is a bad azz dude on there named Stefano DiMera, who has come back from the dead like 20 times. I remember the first time was back in 83’ or 84’ back when I was...”

    Said inhaled again, praying for strength.

                                                                            ****

    Ron Carver hung up his phone and leaned back in his leather back office chair. HE should be District Attorney, not Jack McCoy.

    To send a former lover of Kareem Said’s into Oswald State Penitentiary, especially one, according to Poet, that still had feelings for him, was too stupid to be believed. It wouldn’t matter what Said said if Dr. Warner had sex with him.

    Poet had said he had overheard Said talking about conjugal visits. Ron closed his eyes. Perfect.

    He opened them again and leaned forward. He then picked up the Lanelle Ferguson file. That stupid bitch. She was the damned reason his brother was dead in the first place. The gang he had been a part of, seemingly a life time ago, The Ice Scorpions...Lanelle had been the leader, Kendrick Coleman’s, girlfriend. He, Eric, had been a revenge fuck for Lanelle. Kendrick had stepped out on her with someone else. Kendrick had found out about him and Lanelle the weekend his twin brother, Ron, was home from college.

    Ron borrowed his coat to go around to the store to get something for their mother. Kendrick and the other gang members followed him in their car and shot Ron dead. Eric knew that if Kendrick and the other Scorpions knew they had killed the wrong Carver brother, that wouldn’t stop them from making his mother childless.

    Eric slipped into Ron’s role, which had not been easy. Schooling had always been boring to him, but he had found that he was smart when he applied himself. And Eric had been forced to do just that. His very life depended on it. If anything that Ron did, suddenly seemed off, then it was over for him.

    The hardest person to fool had been their mother, Irma Carver. Not because she didn’t instantly believe he was Ron. But because it was a low thing to do. That and it had secretly hurt him to realize how relieved she was that her ‘good’ son had been spared, instead of the bad, gang member.

    Had what he did been so bad? He took Ron’s place, graduated from college, graduated from law school, then went on to put away bad guys. Now he was being treated  like he used to be treated. Like a gang member. A criminal.

    And it began with that goddamned Lanelle  Ferguson showing back up in his life again! He had been surprised to see that she had cleaned herself up as well, went to college, graduated with a degree in journalism and got a job with the New York Times. He had made the mistake of going out with her and drinking just a little too much.

    When he awoke, Ron was in her bed and she was calling him ‘Eric’. He could’ve kicked himself! Sleeping with the whore was what got him almost killed before. His brother actually died because of her. The idea of it brought the pain back again. Then, when Lanelle began hinting that the two of them should marry, well, Ron knew he had to get rid of this bitch, pronto!

    Of course he didn’t do it himself. For McCoy and those dumb azzes that were undercover at the prison, to think they’d ever find anything physical to connect him with Lanelle’s murder, was pathetic. Of course, if they were smart, they might find a connection between a recently paroled inmate and her killing...

    He was Ron Carver now. And he was going to keep that identity, this job and his aspirations to unseat Jack McCoy. His thoughts were forced elsewhere, when his cellphone rang. He pulled it out of his inside suit pocket and looked at the number. He then smiled coldly and answered.

    “Officer Howell. Any news?”

    “That’s kind of formal, lover. Are we getting together tonight?”

    Hell no, Ron thought, but kept his tone light.

    “I wish I could, pumpkin, but I have a previous engagement. I need you to do something for me though.”

    “Uh, hold on. I’m not getting much out of this arrangement here. I mean, I thought we were an official couple.”

    Ron smiled on his end.

    “Claire, I have reason to believe that you’ve been cheating on me with Said. I told you to watch him...”

    “No! No, he practically tried to force his dick in my mouth! I’m the victim here, baby, you have to believe that!”

    “I do...I guess. But I’m still hurt that you hid this from me. I need to be alone this weekend, okay?”

    “I guess.” Claire responded quietly.

    “Anyway, I need for you to do something for me. Something to get back at Said for trying to force himself on you. I need for you to doctor the records, so that it looks as if a woman named Lanelle Ferguson was at Oz for a conjugal visit with Said.”

    “Uh, okay....I guess.”

    “Oh and another thing: make sure that the ‘new’ coroner finds out about it.”

    There was a silence. Claire finally spoke.

    “Why?”

    “Weren’t you the one that told me that you thought Said had a thing for her? Wouldn’t you like to see his heart broken? After what he tried to do?”

    “Yeah...I suppose.”

    “I’ll send you the information as soon as possible. Love you.” Ron said with as much sincerity as he could muster, before hanging up. The shit he had to do to keep his secret from ruining his life! Hmmmph!

    But his real plan was to force some kind of altercation between Said and Melinda Warner. One that would end in her giving up her plans to get information out of him, or fucking him a jealous frenzy. Either would work in Ron Carver’s favor.

                                                                    ****

    Melinda snapped off her gloves. Salvatore DeSantos had died from a massive overdoes of LSD that someone had slipped into his food. She couldn’t even begin to imagine why anyone would do such a thing. She shook her head as she began making notes. One of these days Kareem would end up in this very room. Probably.

    Melinda looked up to see C.O. Howell saunter into the room. One of her least favorite people here in Emerald City.

    “Hey there! I just came by to apologize for what I said earlier. That was really shitty of me.”

    Melinda said nothing. Claire Howell was carrying some paperwork or something. But she did answer in a tight voice.

    “It’s fine. Did you need something?”

    “Oh no. Well, maybe just to rest this load.” Claire said, walking in and setting the paperwork on top of DeSantos body! Melinda glared at her.

    “Get that off of him!”

    “Why? It’s not like he’ll mind.”

    But Melinda gave Claire a death stare, so she scooped up most of the pile...save for the paperwork on Kareem Said’s ‘conjugal’ with the late Lanelle Ferguson.

    “Sorry about that. I guess I’d better be going.” Claire said in a cheery voice. Melinda glared at her back, then turned back to the body to cover it up. She noticed that the C.O. had forgotten some paperwork. She picked up the piece of paper, intent on just sticking it in the guard’s mailbox. She certainly didn’t have any plans to speak to that woman if she could help it.

    But her eyes fell upon the contents of the paper. It was some sort of form for...

    Conjugal visits??? And this one said that Kareem Said had had one with Lanelle Ferguson, the day before her murder!

    Melinda stared at her now closed door. It was no accident that C.O. Howell had left this behind. And Kareem was full of it! Claiming that he was now going to have conjugal visits because he couldn’t have her...when he’d been having them all the time! Melinda shook her head. What kind of case would McCoy have against Ron Carver, if it looked as if there was an intimate, on going relationship with the murder victim and a witness?

    She crumpled up the form and looked at her watch. She had been about to turn down Tim McManus’s dinner invitation, but now that she thought about it, maybe a night out is what she needed. Just to get this whole thing off of her mind. Melinda looked around and began the process of cleaning up her lab before Fin came to get her so they could leave for the day.  

    Meanwhile, Fin had just rounded the semi-lit corridor to go and check up on Melinda, when Chris Keller stepped out of the shadows and put Fin in a chokehold! Fin immediately began to struggle, as Keller pulled him onto a storage room of sorts. As the door closed to that room, Said, having stolen Schillinger’s mail cart, made his way to the morgue. Melinda looked up when he entered, giving him a cool stare. Said closed the door behind him, shoving the full cart against a wall.

    “We need to talk.” Kareem said pointedly. Melinda, who was done for the day, took down her hair and checked her reflection in a compact. Said caught his breath at the sight of her locks tumbling down. Melinda, oblivious to it, put away her compact and glared at Said.

    “I think you made it clear that you have nothing pertinent to tell me, Kareem. Fin and I risked our necks to get in here and help you, and all you do is lie to me.”

    “Fin? That would be the guard that calls himself ‘Frank’?”

    “Anyway,” Melinda went on, not answering that question, “you’ve made it clear that you’d rather die in here than take my help.”

    “Melinda, you’re not offering help. You can’t speak for Jack McCoy. You have nothing tangible to work with.” Said said in a level tone of voice.

    “No, but you do, Kareem. You know at first, I came here under the impression that you knew how to out Ron Carver. How to prove that he was really his brother Eric. But I don’t think that’s what’s going on here.”

    Said folded his arms.

    “Are you angry with me, Mel?”

    “First of all, it’s Dr. Warner to you.”

    “Oh Lord...”

    “And secondly...”

    “There’s a secondly?” Said asked, moving closer to her. “I remember that tone well enough to know when you’re about to explode.”

    “Not over you!”

    Said moved even closer.

    “Yes, MEL, over me. Something has changed.”

    Melinda folded her arms and took off her white lab coat, holding it in front of her.

    “I saw the conjugal visit form. The one you had with Lanelle Ferguson.”

    Said gave her a blank stare.

    “Excuse me?”

    “Oh stop, Kareem! Just stop! The woman came here and you slept with her! Now it doesn’t matter what you know! All Carver has to do is bring up her little ‘visit’ and it’s over! And you had the gall to make me think you had been longing for me all of this time! Get out of my way! You make me sick!” Melinda hissed. But Said was not about to move out of her way. He slow smile formed on his face.

    “You’re jealous.”

    Melinda’s eyes widened.

    “No, I’m not jealous, Kareem. I’m angry that my time was wasted! You should’ve told me!”

    “No....whoever sent you in here should’ve told you. But they didn’t, did they? And why is that, Mel? Because it never happened. Because Ron Carver is fucking with your mind!”

    Melinda said nothing. She had not thought about it like that. Cragen and Olivia should’ve known that. Before her and Fin would’ve been sent here, they would’ve found that out and dropped this angle. Now, in her mind, she had to choose between Howell and Said.

    Said tentatively reached out and cupped Melinda’s chin.

    “I take it you believe me?”

    Melinda slowly removed his hand from her face, struggling to hide how much his very touch affected her.

    “Okay. You have a point. But unless you tell me something I can use, this is going to be my last day here, Kareem.”

    “Tell me, are you going out with McManus?” Said asked, changing the subject. Melinda looked a bit confused.

    “Excuse me?”

    “You heard the question, Mel. Are you dating McManus?”

    Melinda sighed.

    “He asked me out. I’m thinking of going out with him this evening, yes.”

    Said rolled his eyes and turned away from her for a second, before turning back.

    “Doesn’t that figure.”

    Melinda began to grind her teeth slightly. That tone reminded her of their last fight before they broke up, years ago.

    “I’m not even going to ask what that means. So are you going to tell me something I can use or what?”

    “Oh, I’ll tell you something you can use, ‘Mel’. You’re dating McManus because you were always career conscious...looking to date within your class and professional circle. You never cared anything about the plight of our people! That’s why we couldn’t make it work!”

    Yep, that was the tone alright! The one that got on her damned nerves! Still holding her lab coat in front of her, Melinda walked up to Said.

    “We couldn’t make it work because I knew that one day you’d end up here, Kareem. There are other ways to help the plight of our people besides violent acts. Look at where you are. Your way worked out so well, didn’t it? Well, Kareem, I’m walking out of this penitentiary tonight. I’m going out with Tim McManus. Maybe he might spent the night. Meanwhile you’re here. So think about that, the plight of our people and whatever else gets you through your time here!” Melinda snapped, then moved to walk around him.

    But Kareem blocked her way, then snatched her white coat from her, throwing it onto the ground.

    “No, Mel. You think about this before you consider fucking Tim McManus.” he said with a soft growl, as he pulled her to him, his lips almost smothering hers! He groaned into her mouth as he tasted her again, after more than 20 years.

    Melinda pushed her hands against his chest for two seconds, then wrapped her arms around him, clawing and unclawing his shirt. Kareem’s lips left hers and moved to her neck, while his hands moved to the back of her skirt, unhooking the closure. Melinda’s own hands released his shirt and tugged at the back of his pants. What was she doing? What was she doing? Where was Fin? Just one knock on the door from Fin would bring her to her senses! Or someone throwing a glass of cold water on her!

    Meanwhile, Fin had just barely managed to knock Keller out, but had gotten stabbed in the ribs for his trouble. Keller had still been pissed about Fin’s making him eat that dirty sandwich up off of the floor! It was crazy, but Keller looked a hell of a lot like Elliott Stabler. FIn shook that thought off and hit an alarm. He looked over at Melinda’s morgue office door. She would probably be the first to get to him....

    Fin’s world went black as he fell to the ground.

                                                                    ****

    Melinda thought the alarm was in her mind. Part of the haze of passion she was enduring, courtesy of Kareem Said.

    They were both naked, with Melinda sitting on Vern Schillinger’s mail cart, letters and packages irritating her ass with small papercuts. The cart slammed back and forth against a brick wall, while both of Melinda’s hands gripped an old metal pipe above her. Her legs were splayed open at an angle that coincided with the wideness of Said’s hips.

    “Oh God...God...” Melinda moaned as Said knifed his cock into her with short, hard thrusts. His powerful arms encircled her while his hands clasped her waist tightly. Melinda’s breasts shuddered against his chest with each movement.

    Oh Allah! Said thought with pleasure, as he continued to plunge into Melinda’s inviting depths. What had their fight been about anyway, all those years ago? He couldn’t remember. He didn’t want to remember anything but this moment right now.

    Melinda’s head had been thrown back and now she pulled it up and stared into Kareem’s eyes as he pumped her steadily.

    “This...this will ruin the case. This will ruin the case...” she moaned.

    “I don’t care, Mel. Do you care? Do you care?” he asked hoarsely. Melinda shook her head and closed her eyes, throwing her head back again. Said buried his face in her neck and sped up his penetrating thrusts with a velocity that Melinda thought was so perfect, that she removed one of her hands from the overhead pipes and clawed at Said’s muscular buttocks. She could feel them contracting in and out.

    Meanwhile,  Emerald City went on another lockdown as Fin and Keller were taken to the infirmary. McManus looked around, then noted ‘Mindy’s’ closed door. He listened against it. There was a noise...like something slamming into something. He tried the door knob but it was locked.

    “Mindy? Mindy, are you in there? It’s Tim? Are you alright?”

    Said and Melinda had both exploded together and were now trying to catch their respective breath’s. Said cupped Melinda’s buttocks and helped lift her off of the now, not so pristine mail cart. Melinda managed to disentangle herself from Said and answered.

    “Yes, I’m fine! What’s going on?”

    “A guard was stabbed across the hall from you here. Frank, the new guy? Listen, you sound kind of funny...”

    “I’m fine, really. I’m just finishing up for the day.”

    “Okay...say, I hate to ask this through a locked door, but you never did answer me about tonight.”

    Melinda closed her eyes. Fin had been stabbed. She had to get to him. And she had to shake off the lingering passion she felt at this moment for Kareem Said, who was standing behind her, so close that she could feel his cock caress her her ass cheeks. Just as she was about say something, Said reached around her and cupped her breasts slowly.

    “Mindy?” McManus called out again. Melinda closed her eyes and took a shaky breath. This thing that had happened with Kareem couldn’t happen again and would go nowhere. She removed his hands from her breasts, turned to give him a look, then turned back towards the door.

    “I’d love to. I just want to visit with Frank in the infirmary. He’s been nice to me...with my being new and all. After we can decide on the where and when.” Melinda called out. She felt Said’s caressing cock, all but disappear. Melinda bit her lip in disappointment.

    “Okay, well then I’ll be waiting. We’re going to have a good time tonight, Mindy.”

    “I know we will, Tim.” Melinda replied, then heard his footsteps walk off. She turned and began to pick up her clothes, ignoring Said. He spoke.

    “I wonder what ‘Tim’ would think if he knew your name wasn’t ‘Mindy’, among other things.”

    Melinda looked him dead in the eye.

    “Kareem, either tell me what you know about Ron Carver now, or you will never get the chance again. Fin has been stabbed...we won’t be coming back tomorrow. Please.”

    “Are you going out with McManus tonight?”

    “What does one thing have to do with the other?!”

    “Are you going out with...”

    “You heard me say ‘yes’, Kareem!”

    “Then I guess I’ll still have my conjugal visit tomorrow. Her name is Kateefa. She is very much like me.”

    “Meaning angry?” Melinda asked sarcastically. “Whatever. Kareem, I will say this one last time: I am NOT coming back...”

    Suddenly Said grabbed her still bare shoulders and shook her slightly!

    “No, Mel! You’re not hearing me! I don’t want you to come back here! I have no intention of telling you, or Jack McCoy, anything and I will deal with Ron Carver myself, are we clear? Don’t come back here, Mel.”

    Melinda said nothing, but looked down. Kareem had not said that to be mean. He was worried. And he was determined to bear the deadly secret of Ron Carver’s true identity alone.

    But unfortunately, their ‘morgue lab fuck’, would end up being a very big problem. A New York Police Detective working undercover had been stabbed. Said would not be in his pod, yet again, during the lockdown and there would be people, specifically Warden Leo Glynn, that would want answers...