Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Be Not Nobody 

Chapter Two: A Cell Confession 

A few weeks later…

 

“…so I’ve been having this dream lately where I’m driving down this long stretch of road and it goes on forever you know. Which is weird because somehow I know that there is an end but I just can’t see it; and then the car just stops… right there in the middle of the road. I get out, you know to check under the hood, when a car comes out of nowhere and just passes my right by. I mean the guy must be going at least 90 and I can feel the wind on my face so his car must have been right by me. I look around to see if anyone else saw the guy and here comes another car and then another! Suddenly there is just a never ending stream of them just whizzing by. When it stops it’s suddenly really dark and I’m alone in the middle of nowhere. I get to the front of the car to pop the hood but it won’t open… it’s just… stuck.” She finished quietly looking over her shoulder at the woman sitting in a plush deep burgundy armchair steadily writing something down. “What are you doing?”

 

“What does it look like I’m doing? I’m analyzing… I’m judging you!” The other woman smiled good-naturedly as she felt a soft pillow hit her in the back of the head. “What; you’re obviously here because you want me to otherwise you wouldn’t have just shown up on my doorstep in the middle of a work day rattling on about dreams and whatnot!” She reasoned.

 

“I came here to talk with my cousin, Lainey, not to be picked apart by her alter-ego the psychiatrist!” She shot back crossing her arms over her chest. There was beat before she spoke again. “So what does it mean?” She asked trying to hold back her smile.

 

Shaking her head slightly she motioned for the chair across from her own. “Take a seat… this could take a while.” She quipped.

 

Evangeline sat down in front of her feeling as though she were going under a microscope. She wasn’t even sure what possessed her to seek out Lainey. It had been quite a few months since they had spoken and even longer since they had seen each other. It was the consequence of the lives they had chosen for themselves. Sure they were successful at what they did but it often meant that the overabundance of achievements in their work life meant that the personal one was deprived. In fact, if Evangeline had to guess her cousin hadn’t been on a date since she started her freshman year of college.

 

“Okay… now first I have a few questions for you; you said that you were driving… how fast were you going?”

 

She raised her brow in confusion. “I don’t know. I wasn’t looking at the speedometer!” She remarked. “Why?”

 

“Take a guess.” She insisted. “You mentioned that the other cars were going at least 90… now you were ahead of them… at least at first right… so that means you must have been going faster than that right?” She reasoned.

 

“Yeah I suppose.” Her brow was furrowed in confusion.

 

“Okay… now when your car stalled and you got out you said that you wanted to check under the hood… did you have any idea what you were looking for?”

 

She shrugged. “I don’t know…”

 

“I mean I’ve known you all your life and never once have you been mechanically inclined. So why would you think for a moment that you would know anything about your own vehicle?”

 

“It was a dream! My dream-self may have known something about cars!” She shot back.

 

“Your ‘dream-self’ couldn’t even pop the hood!” She pointed out not to be deterred by Evangeline’s growing agitation. “Now shut-up and let me finish!”

 

“Do you talk this way with all your patients?”

 

“When those patients are relatives; yes. It’s my right.”

 

“You’re right?” She asked.

 

“Yes… it’s written in the degree I received.” She pointed over her shoulder at the paper framed right above her desk. “It’s in the fine print… most people don’t notice. It works out best that way!” She smiled.

 

Shaking her head slightly she let her elbows come to rest on her knees as she waited. “Okay doctor… let me have it.”

 

“Well, dreams can mean a multitude of things… representation is subjective but if I had to take a guess… I would say that the car was a representation of your life… the track that you’ve taken and your speed if you will signifies you being on the fast track. I mean you were flying weren’t you?” When Evangeline nodded as response she continued. “Now when you came to a stop or a halt if you will this represents something in your own life that has come to a halt… a blockade if you will. No rhyme or reason just an unexplainable halt. You obviously are aware that there is a problem and if the car is a representation of you… and you were trying to look under your hood then that means…” She trailed off.

 

“… that there’s something wrong with me,” she remarked softly.

 

“Not necessarily… it just means that you ‘feel’ that there is something wrong with you.” She clarified. “I mean have there been any drastic changes in your life recently that would prompt you to feel this way?”

 

Evangeline hesitated about to make a confession when there was a sharp knock at Lainey’s door before it was opened. A tall blonde woman appeared looking disheveled and somewhat irritable.

 

“Lainey I really need to speak with you.”

 

Taking a stand she sighed. “Mrs. Corinthos I told you that I would be more than happy to meet with you at 2.”

 

“I know… I know but I really need to talk to you before I go off and do something crazy!” Carly stated already walking over the threshold.

 

“Well I’m with a patient at the moment so you’ll have to wait.” Lainey stated.

 

Carly looked over her shoulder at Evangeline for the first time seeming to just notice her present. “What… her?” She asked. “She doesn’t look like she needs a shrink!”

 

“I don’t know if I should be insulted or flattered.” She muttered taking a stand.

 

“No offense… I’m just saying you look pretty well put together.” Turning to Lainey she sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. “I on the other hand need your help!” She remarked somewhat desperately already beginning to shed her coat.

 

Before another word could be said Evangeline found that her phone was ringing. “Evangeline Williamson… he’s been what?! Just slow down Blair and listen to me… don’t let him say anything… I’m on my way!” She clipped into the phone ignoring the curious stares from both women in the room. “I have to go.”

 

“Evangeline… we’re not done here.”

 

“I’ll come back… Besides I think I may have just found the answer to what’s going on under my hood.” She smiled throwing her coat over her forearm. “It was a pleasure meeting you Mrs. Corinthos.” She waved already out the door.

 

Sighing absently she made her way to the elevator… perhaps this could be the answer that she was looking for… the jump start to her life… in more ways than one.

 

A few hours later…

 

He heard the click of heels across the cemented floor before he saw her. Looking up he stared her expression was impassive.

 

“They sent you?” Todd asked after a moment.

 

She raised an eyebrow at his demeanor. He looked worn down and exhausted. She almost felt sorry for him… almost.

 

“They tell me that you’re here on murder charges… Margaret Cochran… and her unborn child.”

 

“That’s what they say.” He quipped. “So what… you’re here to defend me?”

 

“That depends… I don’t defend baby killers.” She snapped back. When she had first gotten the phone call from Blair stating that Todd had been arrested she was more than concerned. Hell she dropped everything and came flying back to come to his defense. Not that his wife would have had it any other way.  It wasn’t until she had gotten on the plane and started reading through emails that she saw exactly what was being reported. He was being brought up on 2 accounts of murder… one for Margaret… the other for her unborn baby and that did not sit right with her.

 

“So then you think that I’m guilty? Then get out!” He snapped shrugging her off walking back to the bunk-beds and leaning against them.

 

“Did you do it?”

 

“Do you really think I could?” He asked.

 

She shrugged slightly. “I’m not sure but I’m not taking the case unless you can prove to me that you didn’t!” She snapped back.

 

“I thought that’s why people hired lawyers… isn’t that your job?” He smirked seeing that she wasn’t amused.

 

“Don’t toy with me Todd. I mean you’re facing the death penalty! Do you understand that? Do you get that if they convict you… you’re not going to Statesville, you’re going to be put to death! Now stop messing around and answer the damn question!” She demanded.

 

“What if I did huh?! Then what? You going to drop me and go side with the prosecution?” He challenged. “Maybe you might be able to give Nora some pointers!”

 

“Did you do this?” She insisted

 

“Why do you care?” He shot back. “You never cared before if someone was guilty! You defended Mitch Lawrence and that guy was as bad as they come! He raped Viki and you still went to bat for him! So why is my innocence so important to you Evangeline? Why do you give a damn?! Margaret was a lying, manipulative bitch who deserved to die. So what do you care if she’s out of the way?” He shouted losing his self-control.

 

“Because I’m pregnant you jackass!” She shot back unable to help herself. It was the first time she had ever said the words out loud and even now they shocked her… but not as much as his next response.

 

He stared at her for a moment looking from her stomach to her eyes and then back to her stomach before responding.  “Is it mine?”






Chapter End Notes:
Let me know what you think...