Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Something that came to me this last week and i just had to share with you all.



Author's Chapter Notes:

Something new i came up while working on Take My Hand, which is coming along nicely.

I own all the characters, because i made them up in my head. ;0)

Please enjoy.

Dani




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Turning 30

Club Pier 21 was packed with partygoers of all ages and races. With bass of the music pumping through the air, it was hard not to have a good time. Devon Wilson continues to dance with some random guy on the dance floor only to pull away when his hands got too bold and begin to wonder places they never should have known. Tonight she was there with a hand full of her friends celebrating her birthday, at first she was not really up for it but had gradually warmed to the idea since the night had started a few hours ago. Needing a breather anyway, she walked off the dance floor towards the booth her friends were occupying only to notice a tall model like figure standing in front of the table. Once closer to the table her friend, James, points her out to the girl. Before she could ask what that was about, she got her answer when a high pitch squeal came from the girl’s month once she turned around to face her.

“There’s the party girl!” a young female squeals over the loud music that was pour through speakers of one of Chicago’s hot spots, pulling the slightly shorter female that had just walked off the dance floor to her taller frame. “It’s so good to see you, sis.”

“Oh my, Ava!” Devon squeals surprise to see her sister, who was suppose to be in New York, welcoming her with an affectionate hug as she pulled away she noticed a young man standing off to the side holding a bouquet of flowers looking at them. “Robert?” she asks pulling away from her sister and pulling him into a hug as well.

Nodding he pulls her into a warm hug with one arm, his baritone voice fills her ear. “Devon, looking beautiful as always” with his other arm he hands her the flowers with other. “These are for you.”

“Awe, thank you two,” pulling away from her sisters on and off boyfriend of two years, she smiles expecting the large bouquet of lavender tulips. “They’re gorgeous, but what are you guys doing here in the windy city?”   

“What do you think silly?” rolling her hazel eyes at the woman with similar features as her own. Other than Devon having, chin length hair and darker brown eyes than, sometimes it was like looking into a mirror they look just like. “Hello? Like if I would miss my big sister’s thirtieth birthday.”  

Before Devon could even respond, her old college roommate and closest friend of almost twelve years spoke up first. “Well you’re a little early for that, like a year, don’t ya think A?” Jane says from the booth behind the two girls. “You would know that if you actually claimed your real age, or did you forget that too? 21? Or 23?”

“Whatever.” Ava says with the wave of her left hand.

“OMG, Ava is that engagement ring on your finger?” Jenna asked her sister.

Sliding in next to Steven, she steal her friend’s glass of jack and coke taking a sip she turned her head to see what her friend was yelling about. Devon almost choked when her eyes landed on sister’s ring finger and wonder how she did not notice the rock before then.  Not sure if it was the lighting in the club or her sister’s tiny hands that made the diamond look huge on her finger; either way it was gorgeous.  

“Yes!” Ava squealed once again wiggling her fingers showing off the ring, “I’m getting married.”

“What?” Devon says out of disbelief or just pure surprise. Ava, her baby sister, is engaged to marry Robert. Engaged to off again and on again Robert? She liked him, hell she rooted for him on the sidelines, he was sweet and absolute gentleman to her sister. Nevertheless, let us face it, her sister could not commit to a nail appointment yet alone marriage. When she was in school, she could not decide what major to stay in. First, it was photography, after that dance, than she wanted to be Veterinarian to save the homeless puppies. That is just this last fall. Now, Ava was taking spring semester off.

“I know! I can’t believe it either.” She exclaimed excitedly, not noticing her older sister reaction. “He popped the question last weekend.”

“W-wow,” she starts to stumble over her words only to clear her throat and put on a smile, “Congratulation you two!”

“Thank you. But enough about us, tonight’s about you.” Robert said as one of the servers walked towards them with a white iced and chocolate trimmed sheet cake in hand with lit sparkler candles on it.

 In the faint distant, she could hear the DJ give a birthday shout out her way, before her sister and friends started to sing happy birthday to her.

Devon did not know which was worst, the glare of the twenty-nine candles on her birthday cake or the sparkle that came from the two and a half carat engagement ring on her baby sister’s finger. However, as she closed her eyes to make a wish and blow out those candles, the real blow was the realization that in another year she was turning the big 3 0 and had yet to even have a serious relationship. She never behind on a third date in her life, somehow she would lose interest or her goals would get in the way. Devon did not become valedictorian of her high school and college or ranking in the top ten in law school, by making out and daydreaming of being the next Mrs. Timberlake; she didnt have time for things like that. Now, working at one of the two top Chicago law firms didn’t help neither; sure her fellow collages had relationships or families or hell even affairs, but she had to put that on hold if she wanted to the youngest associate to make partner at Dunburger and Jefferson’s.  Turning thirty was one thing, but turning into a young old maid was another. Hell if her baby sister could settle down why not her?

So she did what any other rational person would do, she blew out her candles and made a wish-a pact-with herself. Devon would put herself out there and start dating. She had one year to today’s date, April 17, to find a man to fall in love with and he would help her blow out that extra candle.  There never was a challenge too big for her to handle.  This one would be just as sweet and effortless as the cake she was cutting right now.

If only she knew, love is never that simple…                              






Chapter End Notes:

So tell me what you think, is it something i should continue or naw nice try? reviews are always welcomed. :o)

Dani