Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Go away I don’t want to be disturbed! Please leave me alone!”

 

“Dr. Campbell it’s me Beatrice.”

 

Quickly he arose and opened the bedroom door. “Ms. Beatrice, what are you doing home so early?” Noticing her anguish expression he asked “What’s wrong?”

 

“Forgive me for disturbing your rest but Mrs. Campbell is asking for you.”

 

“Why?”

 

“There was an unfortunate incident at the dinner party and she was slightly hurt.”

 

“Where is she?”

 

“In her bedroom…stretched out on the bed. It was so awful what occurred. Mrs. Edwards had both she and Mrs. Lewis removed from her property.”

 

“So an altercation occurred?”

 

“Yes it happened while they were in the garden.”

 

Beatrice’s words certainly concerned him and a horrible sight greeted him upon his entrance – Amy lying on her stomach half clothed, bruises covered her arms and legs. He imagined her dress had to be in tatters.

 

“Jonathan, are you there?”

 

“Yes what happened?”

 

“Sara Lewis nee Brodie and her friend Margaret did this to me.” The sound of Sara’s name made his blood boil.

 

“Ms. Beatrice, please bring the candle closer.”

 

Indeed it was terrible – a huge bruise stretched across the right side of her back

 

“Ms. Beatrice, tell Mrs. Annabelle to heat some water quickly and then tell Amos to bring up a half bucket of cold and a bucket of hot water.” Beatrice nodded and left.

  

“What are you going to do?”

 

“Give you a warm bath and afterwards apply ointment to the various contusions.”

 

“One of those darkies’ home remedies.”

 

He glared at her and sternly admonished, “While you’re in my presence don’t ever refer to another human being by that reference.”

 

“Forgive me Jonathan, please don’t send me away. From this day forth I promise to be a good wife to you.”

 

A little too late for such a promise to be made dear wife…“Let’s not speak of such things now.”

 

Carefully turning her unto her back he examined the whole of her frame and found other bruising but not as critical as the one on her side.

 

Within ten minutes Amos had brought the two buckets of water and was pouring it in her bathtub. Beatrice helped prepare Amy in between her shouts of anguish.

 

“Ohhh…ow…ow…ow,” she cried as Jonathan carried her to the tub and eased her down gently.

 

“Ms. Beatrice I want you to pour the warm water over her until its cold.”

 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Going downstairs to my office to find the ointment... I’ll be back shortly.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Jogging down the stairs he thought could this night get any worst but then again things can always get worst and he didn’t want to have that experience. A turn of the key and his office door was opened and then he opened another door that led to his personal lab where all his medicinal were kept. Celia never ventured passed this room.

 

“Where is it? Where is it?”

 

Found the ointment and also a bottle of laudanum…if she experienced greater pain that evening he would need to use it sparingly.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Don’t look at me that way.”

 

“In what way ma’am?” Beatrice was much too busy pouring the warm water over her bruises.

 

“You’re thinking that I did this purposefully but believe me I didn’t.”

 

Beatrice hardly paid attention instead she continued her task.

 

“Mrs. Edwards treated me in such a deplorable manner! Effectively barring me from society. I’m ruined and only Jonathan can rescue me but I fear that he’s still cross with me. Beatrice what am I going to do?”

 

“I don’t know ma’am,” she responded nonchalant.

 

“Go and fetch me my robe because you are being quite useless.”

  

Soon Jonathan returned.

 

“Jonathan, Beatrice is not doing it correctly,” she complained.

 

“Aren’t you pouring the water as I told you?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Then she is doing it properly. I will hear no more complaints do you understand.”

 

“Yes Jonathan. It still hurts.”

 

“I believe you’re finished here.” He lifted her up and Beatrice helped her into her robe. “Beatrice will dry you off.”

 

“It will be better if you do it.”

 

“Beatrice will do it and that’s final.”

 

“Do you believe that I brought this upon myself Jonathan?”

 

“Did you?”

 

“No! I was only defending myself against her outrageous claims and then she slapped me! Mrs. Edwards didn’t even listen to my explanation. Why doesn’t anyone believe me?” she asked tearfully.

 

“There…there…come now…I believe you.”

 

Whatever he felt about her Amy needed his care and attention.

  

“What’s that foul smell?”

 

“The ointment my dear...”

 

“You are not going to place that disgusting substance on me.”

 

“Aren’t you in a great deal of pain? Do you want your contusions to get red and filled with all manner of bacterium?”

 

She didn’t comprehend his meaning but it sounded serious enough. “Well…no…”

 

“Then you must allow me to do this.”

 

“Alright but do it quickly.”

 

Amy’s constant complaints were giving Jonathan a massive headache and he felt some sympathy for Beatrice and all she had to endure. A small dose of laudanum and Amy was finally asleep. She was left in Beatrice’s care for the remainder of the evening.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The next morning… 

Everyone was extra quiet in the house including the children who sat staring at her as if instructed only Joshua’s playful mutterings could be heard. Suddenly Abigail hinted to Lydia that she should take the children outside.

 

“Celia…”

 

She sighed, “Jonathan asked me and I told him the truth. What else could I do mama?”

 

“But how and why did it come up?”

 

“It just came up!” she yelled and immediately regretted her tone, “Sorry didn’t mean to shout.”

 

“You know you have a situation on your hands with these men.”

 

“Didn’t I tell you that I couldn’t marry Joseph because Jonathan still in me heart. And what did you say mama?”

 

“Jonathan white and he’ll forget bout a black girl and their bastard child,” she responded quietly.

 

“So you see mama you were wrong…we both were wrong…he hasn’t forgotten bout me. Now he know we have a son together. I’m hurting mama.”

 

“But you two still married.”

 

“I know that.”

 

“He might want to take Joshua away.”

 

“He won’t unless I let him"

 

“Would you?”

 

“What will be will be. I need to catch up with Sonia.”

 <<<<<<<<  

“Gial I think you off till Friday.”

 

“I think I need to work to clear me head.”

 

“Me understand. Better than staying at home with noise all around with those children. Hope they remember me in my old age and all me sacrifices.” She expected a comment from Celia but she didn’t respond. “Celia…Celia…”

 

“Huh…”

 

“Guess it one of those days with you. Got much on your mind?”

 

“Much but I can’t talk bout it now.”

 

“Whenever you need to talk I’m right here.”

You might be my friend Sonia but I could never speak to you about this situation. 

<<<<<<<<<  

There was never a dull moment at Dr. Campbell’s residence. A sign by the gate read that the doctor wouldn’t be seeing patients for the remainder of the week.

 

Upon entering the kitchen they observed Annabelle and Beatrice whispering amongst themselves.

 

“Dr. Campbell is being quite attentive.”

 

“Hmmm…I’m sure he is.”

 

“The tea isn’t too hot is it?”

 

“It’s prepared to Mrs. Campbell’s exact specifications.”

 

“Ms. Amy strikes again,” Sonia whispered to a stoic Celia.

 

“Amos will return for my breakfast.” was Beatrice’s last utterance.

  

“Tell us what happened Ms. Annabelle.”

 

“Good morning to you too Sonia…”

 

“Good Morning Ms. Annabelle,” they both recited.

 

“Since I’m not one for gossip…”

 

“Something must have happened. Come on Ms. Annabelle it will come out eventually.”

 

“Well it won’t come from my lips. There is no time for idle gossip. Breakfast needs to be prepared.”

 

Sonia muttered as she glanced at Celia who in turn shrugged before going over to her housemaid’s closet.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Drink…”

 

“I don’t know Jonathan.”

 

“Amy, just take a sip for me please.” Jonathan had already concluded that there was no swelling around her jaw maybe she had lost some of her appetite.

 

She sipped carefully and he allowed her to take sips until the tea was finished. Tedious work but he viewed her as his patient…a very annoying one at best.

 

“I need to see after your breakfast. I’ll ask Mrs. Annabelle to prepare you some porridge.” Amy almost protested but didn’t.

  

“Ms. Amy you are looking well today,” Beatrice noted.

 

“Too bad for me… Go on get my hairbrush and stop dilly dallying.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

As he entered the hallway he stumbled into Celia sweeping the hallway.

 

“Good morning Ms. Celia…,” he said cheerful but his face looked strained.

 

“Good morning Dr. Campbell…you appear tired.”

 

“I feel worst.”

 

“What happened last night?”

 

“Let’s not speak in the open.”

  

He escorted her to the parlor where they hugged each other warmly.

 

“I gather that something must have happened to Amy by the small conversation between Mrs. Annabelle and Ms. Beatrice,” she said as they strolled to the settee and settled down, “but otherwise they gave away nothing.”

 

“Whilst at the dinner party my wife and Sara got into a heated disagreement and Amy was badly bruised.”

 

“Sara? Let me take a stab at what this fight was about…you.”

 

“I have a mind to confront Sara about this.”

 

Surprising that he thought so highly of his wife’s reputation... “Don’t or it may escalate further,” she replied quietly.

 

“I’m not afraid of her.”

 

“She is a cunning woman who probably wants to draw you into this messy situation.”

 

“You believe that Sara started an argument with my wife for another purpose.”

 

“Indeed but the motive may be two-fold.”

 

He understood perfectly. “One to get at my wife and the other to get back at me through her. Ms. Beatrice did inform me that they were both disgraced but given Mr. Brodie’s influence soon she’ll return to the societal scene with barely a whisper of her unladylike behavior.”

 

“Exactly.” She grew tired of conversing about the other women that surrounded his life. “May I leave now?”

 

Sensing her displeasure he quickly asked, “After our last encounter how are you doing?  Forgive me for not asking earlier.”

 

“Confused…very confused,” she responded sheepishly, “And you?”

 

“Learning that I truly have a son creates a new chapter in my life.”

 

“For all of us. Did you tell your wife?”

 

“Heavens no! This situation is not her concern. It will never be her concern.” He caressed her cheek. “I don’t know how much longer I can go on like this but I’ll do anything…for your sake.”

 

He rose and left her with the sensation of his warm imprint on her skin. Sacrifice was the name of the game at least on her part – difficult to have all of this emotion deep inside of you and not being able to express it fully. How much longer could she go on?

 <<<<<<<<<  

But the day dragged on with them barely seeing or speaking with one another because of the need to attend to his wife’s care. Amy’s most pressing complaint was the pain which seem to come in spurts and then eased off once he administered the laudanum. But he became wary of constantly employing its use because of the dangerous side effects. When evening came he seemed to have found a natural solution and was in his lab brewing another batch.

 

Celia knocked and knocked but there was no response. Henderson did tell her that Jonathan was in his office. Must have slip away for a breather she thought.

 

“Whomever it is please come in!”

 

“What were you doing?”

 

“Trying to make a pain medicine for Amy using the mimosa plant or as the local call it sleeping grass...”

 

“If this is successful I hope you give it to your other patients although I don’t know how they will react to the taste.”

 

“Adding a quantified amount of alcohol seems to do the trick. Humph you’re right I should try giving it to my other patients. Thanks for the great advice,” he said returning to his lab.

 

“Ahem!”

 

“What is it?” Then he noticed her standing with a tray.

 

“I want you to stop doing everything… now.”

 

“Celia…”


“Mrs. Annabelle has complained that you’ve been neglecting to eat from yesterday evening. Although a bit late she believes I have a greater chance of convincing you to take a meal.”

 

“I’m in the process of doing something very important.”

 

“Don’t use that as an excuse. Soon you’ll be in need of our care instead of the other way around. I don’t want to be bothering about your health.”

 

“That wouldn’t be so bad if I think about it some more,” he smiled.

 

“Jonathan,” she said exasperated, “Mrs. Annabelle has prepared you a nice steak dinner with mash potatoes and green peas. I also brought you a glass of red wine.”

 

“Alright…fine… place it on the desk and I’ll eat it.”

 

“Not until you sit down first. Go ahead take a seat.”

 

Jonathan smiled at her insistence and did as instructed. “May I say thank you for thinking of me.”

 

“You’re quite welcome. I’ll leave you now...my mission has been accomplished.”

 

“No stay for I prefer your company above all others.”

 

“I must go. I can’t stay,” she whispered.

 

“Like it or not Celia we are in the midst of an amorous relationship.”

 

That dreaded word…amorous. “Do you have to say it so plainly?”

 

“How else might I say it? How else might it be classified? Your heart lies with me and no other man except our son.”

 

“But I must stay loyal to my husband. Joseph was there…”

 

“When I wasn’t.”

She sat across from him and stared. For the first time he saw the anguish in her eyes. His selfish desires didn’t compare to the pain that she was enduring. Don’t burden her any further.    

“Eat your dinner before it gets cold.”

 

“This meal is particularly good this evening. I must congratulate Mrs. Annabelle and Ms. Sonia on a superb job.”

 

“They always think well of you.”

 

“And I feel the same about them.”

 

“If it pleases you I’ll bring Joshua by tomorrow to see you for a short time… say mid-morning.”

 

An unexpected surprise and he paused in mid-chew. “It definitely pleases me very much,” he said with an elated heart. “I’ll be in my study waiting."

 

A knock at the door…Henderson explaining that Ms. Sonia was wondering about Ms. Celia’s whereabouts...

 

“She’ll be out very shortly.”

 

“Good night Jonathan.”

 

“Good night Celia,” he said rising. Sweet dreams my heart.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The next day… 

Through much debating it was decided that Lydia would take Joshua over to the residence…much debating.

 

“Why do this?”

 

“Because I won’t keep Joshua away from him.”

 

“You opened a lion’s den.”

 

“It was opened a longtime ago.”

 

“Since you married Joseph you treat that man very, very bad. Always thinking bout that white man who you can never be it.”

 

“You don’t know what you talking bout.”

 

“So now he want be with you?”

 

“No I just saying that. So are you going to bring him or not?”

 

“I will for your peace of mind.”

 

“Thank you.”

 

“Joseph is a good man and any woman would want a good man like him.”

 

“Lydia I want to ask you a question.”

 

“No Celia that my business not yours,” she scowled and walked off.

When Joseph returned they needed to have good talk about many things. 

<<<<<<<<<  

Jonathan was anticipating his son’s visit with much trepidation. His wife was taken care of. Along with her two servants Amy was sent off to ‘special therapy’ – she was behaving quite obediently and didn’t ask why he wasn’t coming but appreciated him doing his best to make her whole again.

 

He sat at his desk then stood by the window thought better of it and repeated the process two more times. Choosing to stand he began folding and unfolding his arms, stroking the back of his neck and peaking at the clock. Didn’t she saw mid-morning?

 

She gave a slight knock at the door and found that it was already opened – Jonathan standing his left hand pressed against his lips. The look in his eyes told her the significance of this moment.

 

Joshua’s small murmurings and Celia speaking to him yet his feet remained glued to the floor. Courage…the beating of his heart echoed through his ears…you’re a father now.

 

“Jonathan…”

 

“Yes…yes…”

 

“Seemed like you were far away,” she said as they approached.

 

“Lost in my own thoughts as usual,” he shrugged nervously, “Are you sure he won’t cry if I hold him?”

 

“He’s quite personable. Joshua I want you to meet this nice man.”

 

“Ma…ma…ma…”

 

“His name is Dr. Jonathan Campbell….your father. You’re a lucky little boy because you have two fathers.”

 

“Joshua…,” he whispered as he took him into his arms.

 

A reflection of himself especially in those curious eyes as if he were saying…Very pleased to meet you Dr. Campbell.

 

“We created a handsome little boy,” he said through tears. He kissed his forehead and held him tightly. “I love you very much and I’ll do my best to take great care of you.”

 

Celia shed her own tears and decided to sit down and observed their interaction…quite confident that she had made the right choice.

 

When he was awake Joshua was an active two year old. He was already scrambling to the floor wanting to explore the room.

 

“Joshua,” Celia scolded.

 

“Leave him be…I don’t mind. Hahaha…look at him…look at my little boy.”

 

Jonathan was able to lure him back with some chocolate drops which he enjoyed very much. Soon father and son became quite comfortable with each other – running around the room playing a small game of tag intermittently he would run into his mother’s lap squealing with joy. He became attentive when Jonathan showed some colorful pictures in one of his geography books.

 

“Jonathan…”

 

“Just a little while longer,” he pleaded without looking her direction.

 

“My sister is waiting in the hallway to take him home. I cannot keep her.”

 

He sighed, “Alright. I brought some things for him. I didn’t know what to give him.” He handed her a box containing some clothes, shoes, books and of course candy.

 

“Thank you very much. We appreciate it very much.”

 

“Bring him again soon.”

 

“Of course I will. Say goodbye Joshua.”

 

“Bye…bye…”

 He kissed him goodbye and stroked his hair. There will come a time when I can’t and won’t let the both of you go. 

<<<<<<<<<  

“A box for Joshua...”

 

“And he will give his son other things.”

 

“Poor Joseph. So Jonathan got what he wanted but he’ll want more.”

 

“I can’t do nothing bout that.”

 

“Of course you can if you think bout it Celia.”

 

“You would know what I can and cannot do Lydia.”

 

A rift was developing between the two sisters that will only become greater as the weeks progressed.

 <<<<<<<<<  

It was one of the best experiences but he couldn’t linger in the study he chose to take a brisk walk in the garden for a moment to mull things over. What could be done about Celia and Joshua? Should he press her to accept his offer? There were still things in his life that needed to be dealt with first.

 

Henderson waited for his return.

 

“Addison Clark and Benjamin Jeffords are here to see you sir.”

 

“Aye Addison and Ben...”

 

A warm greeting was shared among the friends in the drawing room. As usual Addison lighted his cigar whilst Ben preferred his pipe.

 

“Have a drink.”

 

“We only came to see our friend and hear news of your wife’s condition,” Ben explained.

 

“Amy is covered in bruises.”

 

“Because Sara gave her a thorough trouncing,” Addison added.

 

“Damnit I missed out!” Ben exclaimed, “I mean to ask about Amy’s recovery.”

 

Jonathan laughed, “Recovering in typical Amy fashion. I’ve sent her off to one of my physician friends for ‘special therapy’.”

 

“Hmmm…good of you to think of your wife given that you are considering pushing her aside. If you’ll ask me I could embark on a seduction.”

 

“What are you saying Addison.”

 

“Brilliant! He wants to seduce your wife so that you can be rid of her permanently.”

 

“It’s not necessary. Why would I put a friend of mine through all that aggravation?”

 

“Particularly hard to obtain a divorce unless it is proven that the wife is having an affair,” Addison offered.

 

“Aye but once that affair is proven I may obtain the property of her lover and have him destitute.”

 

“You wouldn’t do that to your good old friend.”

 

“Don’t tempt me,” Jonathan laughed, “Besides I don’t think I’ll ever marry again.”

 

“Giving up so soon. There is always someone for everyone. Come on Ben let’s go.”

 

“You’re leaving so soon. You’ve only just arrived.”

 

“Off to the tracks you can come if you’d like.”

 

“No I’m alright.”

 

“You can go on ahead Addison. I’ll meet you there.”

 

“Alright but don’t take too long. I’ll take my leave and see you later.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“What is it now Ben? More news of my father’s impending visit…”

 

“We observed a child just now and he bore an uncanny resemblance…but maybe I’m mistaken.”

 

Good old Ben…“His name is Joshua and yes he is my son. His mother is somewhere about…”

 

“Surely you jest!” Ben yelled shocked, “Does Amy know of this?!”

 

“Of course not! Why should she? In fact why would I tell her?”

 

“You and Drake have kept many things hidden away,” he said taking a seat, “Two of us have fallen to the charms of a dark angel.”

 

“His mother is a servant of yours?”

 

“So many questions Ben. Sometimes we need to cover our secrets from prying eyes.”

 

“So far you’ve covered it well my friend but it seems that you are aiming for more.”

 

“Much…much more...”