Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Ms. Abigail and Lydia came home with enough leftovers for everyone. The small dining table could only accommodate three persons at a time so Ms. Abigail and the children withdrew to the living room.

 

Lydia peered at Celia whose eyes were focused on her plate and the rambunctious Joshua. Hortense had enough of Lydia’s harassment, putting her spoon down with a clang.

 

“Why are you staring at Celia?” Hortense was never one to restrain her thoughts.

 

Lydia couldn’t believe her question. “You know what she’s doing,” she responded in an accusatory tone.

 

“The only thing she’s doing is trying her best to support this family…which includes you and your children.”

 

Everyone stopped eating. Ms. Abigail quickly ushered off the children to their room.

 

Celia’s eyes shifted to see Lydia’s changing features from apparent shock to anger and then resolute, having mentally found a satisfying response.

 

“I wouldn’t say that…more like her Jonathan.”

 

Celia knew the curt response was directed towards her. Over the years Lydia hadn’t won many battles with Hortense. “If you feel that way then don’t eat tomorrow or the next day or the next day. Every canned good, smoked meat, corned fish belongs to me because it comes courtesy of my supposed lover. I chose who gets to eat it!” The deed was already done why be frustrated about it. Lydia only looked at her shaking her head solemnly. “I’m tired of this foolishness…going to bed. Come Joshua…”

   

 

 

“Is that what how you treat your sister who has always been there for you?”

 

“Not when she doing something bad...”

 

“Who are you to past judgment? We always do what we can to survive.”

 

“By giving up on a good man…”

 

Hortense pushed aside her chair. A scowl etched across her face.  “I see what this is…you want Joseph…for yourself.”

 

“I do not!” she yelled vehemently pushing back her chair.

 

It was all too much for the returning Ms. Abigail. “Girls stop this now!” Their mother’s resonant tone made them both become aware of their surroundings. Lydia sat down, resting her hand in her chin while Hortense exhaled.  “This life hard enough. My daughters shouldn’t be arguing with each other.”

 

“Mama I don’t like the way Lydia is treating Celia. She’s hurting and needs our support – not her own sister reigning down judgments.”

 

Lydia made to speak but said nothing. “Lydia just upset she can’t help out. She got nothing against Celia,” she replied apologetically.

 

“The way she’s behaving tells me something entirely different.” Hortense walked away. “Lydia should be ashamed of herself.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Clara was busily practicing her needlepoint by candlelight occasionally pricking her slender fingers. She so wanted to impress John making him believe that he had made a good choice in selecting her. Her maid, Sofie sat closely by with the sewing basket resting on her lap. Amy had left Beatrice upstairs to attend to her room.

 

Amy laughed internally at her feeble attempt – more blood than thread on that fabric. But she grew tired of focusing on simple-minded Clara – some goings on outside had grabbed Jonathan’s attention as he stood by the window with hand in his waist pocket. Except for Clara’s winces the room was far too quiet. At least in England one could listen to the cackling of the fireplace or the clopping of the horses’ hooves against the cobblestone pavements and the passersby murmuring with one another. She also reminisced about the scent of freshly baked bread wafting through the air on Glendale Street or the cafés that dotted every corner.  The Bay’s temperate climate didn’t necessitate fireplaces and the small populous could only support one, maybe two but never three similar business ventures.

“Huh,” she sighed to herself. The gulf between her and her husband had grown considerably. Bitterness had replaced what little love there ever was. One never knows what they have until it’s being taken away. 

“Henderson could you please pour me a tiny glass of sherry,” said Clara, “This needlework takes quite a bit of practice.

 

“Henderson, pour me a glass as well.”

 

Henderson emerged from his dark corner. “Yes my lady.”

 

“Jonathan, are you going to stand by the window all evening. Wouldn’t you like a glass of sherry?” Clara enquired.

 

Amy thought perfect host indeed – standing by the window refusing to speak to anyone.

 

“I’m perfectly alright. I’d advise you to be careful Clara or you may feel something else after drinking a glass of sherry.”

 

Amy cleared her throat. “What he means is that you shouldn’t drink it down too quickly.” Henderson handed them each a glass.

 

“Or I might want more than one glass,” she giggled.

 

He had better things to concentrate on than this. Celia’s anger towards him was noted but there wasn’t anything he would have done differently and he would do it again and again. Either she saw it his way or she saw it his way.  

 

The taste of sherry emboldened Clara to ask, “Jonathan you should have a dinner party.” Amy smiled believing a dinner party to be a very good idea. It would show everyone his support for her in the face of this storm.

 

“No,” was his emphatic response, “Forgive me Clara but I’m not much for company this evening. Come Henderson. Have a very good evening.”

 

Amy flicked her tongue – certainly Jonathan was exposing more of their private quarrel.

 

“What’s gotten into him?” she asked quizzically, “Doesn’t seem like the same Jonathan.”

 

Amy mulled her question over then blurted, “My husband has lost interest in me.”

 

Immediately Clara dismissed the charge. “You’re wrong Amy.”

 

“It happens when you’re being replaced by another woman – our housemaid.” Clara giggled. “Clara, I don’t see the humor anywhere in my confession.”

 

“You being worried about a maid,” she continued laughing, “A maid! Quite hilarious. I would have been worried if it were one of these pretty young maidens. Dr. Campbell has quite a few admirers and you being an outsider.”

 

“Jonathan does not care for those jezebels,” she hissed, “A wife knows these things. The two of them have a connection…She appears upright – married with a son. One time Beatrice was running an errand for me. I asked Celia to assist me and she claimed Jonathan told her not to. ”

 

“Then be rid of her! Have her dismissed immediately!”

 

“Jonathan hired her therefore I can’t dismiss her,” she said contemplative. Surely Jonathan would hasten her departure if she were to take such an action “It’s not possible.”

 

“Then what are you going to do?”

 

“I’m thinking maybe I can find some answers at the Campbell estate.”

 

“And if that…doesn’t work out?”

 

“Risk confronting this wench! My whole world is in danger of being snatched away by this commoner.”

 

Clara hadn’t realized that she had been sitting on the edge of the chair listening to Amy’s musings. It all sounded murky and she perceived that some things were left unsaid. Definitely she wanted more insight on this sorry tale so that she could be a good wife to John and not make the same mistakes.

 

“Playing detectives sounds like a marvelous adventure.”

 

“I’m glad you approve.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“I don’t know how much more I can take.” Celia sat on her bed mentally fatigued. “She honestly believes that she is doing the right thing by me and Joseph. Maybe I do deserve all of this.”

 

“Lie down Celia and ease your mind. I’ll take care of this little ball of energy.”

 

Celia lied down, placing her hands behind her head. “He likes looking at the pictures in the books that Jonathan gave him.”

 

Candles burned brightly throughout the small room. Celia, Hortense and Joshua would be sharing the bed.

 

“Already liking Jonathan as his father,” she moved to retrieve one of the books from the small table, “Not that I’m putting down Joseph.”

 

“Above everything else Joseph is a very good father.”

 

“If I were you…Joshua… look… book.” She waved it in front of him.

 

“Book?” His bright eyes stared at his aunt inquisitively.

 

“Come look at the pretty pictures.” He climbed into her lap very interested. “As I was saying if I were you I wouldn’t stay here. I would get a room for me and my son until Joseph returns.”

 

“Paid for by my uncollected salary no doubt,” she joked, “Lydia’s qualms are the least of my concerns.”

 

“Joshua, look at the beautiful bird. Say bird.”

 

“Bird…”

 

“Good boy,” she laughed squeezing him gently.

But soon their voices faded from the forefront leaving her trepidations to take over. This situation had brought about a rift within the family – the sisters taking one side or the other. Most importantly the strong bond that she and her mother had created over the years had to be temporarily pushed aside. She wanted to curl into a ball and hide until the storm clouds had drifted away. Everyone is expecting me to do the right thing… 

“Mama…”

 

“Shhh…let your mother sleep.”

 

She replaced the book, blew out the candles and lied down, pulling Joshua over to her side of the bed. He understood that it was time to go to sleep.

 

Poor Celia had so many things to ponder. Three was a crowd add a baby and it was a nightmare. She rocked Joshua back and forth on her chest.

 

“You’re the most innocent in this whole scandal” She blinked then thought about it briefly, “Your father Joseph could be included but at the time he knew exactly what was going on but love is a strange thing that can either fill a heart with joy or break it beyond repair. I hope I never have to experience what your mother is going through at this moment.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Is that cut on your finger healing very well?”

 

“Very well sir,” Henderson responded, easing him into his dressing gown.

 

“Let me see for myself,” he said turning, loosening the bandage.

 

Henderson was never a person to complain very much. It was Mrs. Annabelle that informed him that Henderson was unsuccessfully nursing a painful cut.

 

The aloe treatment had worked for he noticed that the wound was healing – no sign of infection. “It is as you say.”

 

“Would you like a nightcap Dr. Campbell?”

 

“Go ahead and attend to your remaining duties. Good evening Henderson.”

 

“Good evening Dr. Campbell.”

                                                           

****

 

The bed was mocking him – the sheets neatly spread and smoothed out by her hands, the pillows fluffed, blankets laid folded at its edges. Many nights he had spent alone in this bed wanting to forget times spent with her talking, laughing, and…

 

He remembered escaping from a scheduled meeting with Sara. She was awful and he didn’t feel the least bit attracted towards her. Definitely his father was attracted to her father’s wealth. He rushed to discuss the matter with Celia who was hiding out in the servants’ stairwell. She commiserated with his plight.

“One day you’ll find that special lady who will want to see the real Jonathan.” 

“My father’s disappointment…” His spirits were low. Whether directly or indirectly his father had a way of making him feel insecure.

 

“No your mother’s joy. Jonathan you’re attractive, intelligent, very charming, helpful…” It was at that precise moment he started to see her more than his confidant. 

“If you see all those things why doesn’t my father?” 

“Pardon my words but your father is a bastard!” He laughed at her comment.

“And you are my guardian angel…” “Whenever you need me to be...” 

Her countenance, her encouraging words, that laugh – he was completely taken by her and here was his chance. He could laugh at it now because it started out so clumsily with him kissing the bottom of her nose. Embarrassing… but then he heard her breathing as though she expected him to continue.

 

A small peck on her lips. Both their eyes widened, stunned by what happened but it didn’t mean that he was finished. He cupped her face, leaned in capturing her lips in a passionate kiss. His heart was beating so fast but he didn’t comprehend the depth of his emotions. It didn’t help that after they released she immediately ran away.

 

“Look how far we’ve come. The love still remains as strong as ever and we have a son. A handsome, intelligent little boy…” He fell unto the bed, closed his eyes, imagining that her arms were draped across him.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The next day the air was a little chilly – Celia pulled her shawl closer. A joyless morning for Hortense was returning to Mr. Myers’ residence. Hortense followed along as far as she could, mentioning her week’s experiences with her employer while Sonia chatted about Mrs. Campbell deplorable conduct towards everyone including her husband. Hortense lifted an eyebrow wondering why Celia hadn’t gone into depth about Jonathan’s ill-tempered wife... why indeed.

 

“I must stop here.”

 

“See you soon Hortense.” Sonia walked on ahead to allow them some private time.

 

“When was the last time you were truly happy?”

 

“When Joshua was born alive and healthy.”

 

“Promise me that you’ll take care of yourself…for once.”

 

“I promise. I wish I could see you more than one day.”

 

“The ask that supposed lover of yours to give me employment as his housemaid,” she smiled. Celia laughed.

 

She gave Celia a warm hug. “I’ll keep you in my prayers.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

Meeting Amy’s friend Clara was another downer for Sonia at least. It meant increased duties and organized schedules had to be set aside for a whole week.

 

Meanwhile Sonia could hardly believe that she would actually lay eyes on a friend of Amy’s. Clara’s curly auburn hair accentuated her creamy complexion; expressive green eyes stared back at them. Attentively she stood beside Amy doling out instructions. She would be staying in the guest quarters therefore Celia would be attending to some of her needs. It wasn’t a bother. It would keep her fairly busy.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“She is beautiful in her own way,” Clara said as they strode up the stairs.

 

Amy was aghast. “More like hideous. What can she offer that I can’t?”

 

“Then why be fearful of such a thing.”

 

“Because men’s minds are incomprehensible… They think with their downstairs and expect us women to clean up their messes. There is much you need to learn.”

 >>>>>>>>>  

Celia hardly paid attention to Clara getting dressed for breakfast. She kept invisible as possible while Sofie spent time styling Clara’s hair and selecting the appropriate dress – still all her clothing and accessories hadn’t been completely unpacked.

 

Jonathan, attempting to sneak in a conversation with Celia found that she wasn’t at her usual location – his bedroom. He scratched the back his head trying to figure out if their tiff had made her decide to stay home. Doesn’t sound like Celia. She is probably somewhere around…avoiding me.

 

Breakfast… 

“A new dress shop is opening today,” said Clara buttering her toast, “We should go there and take a look see at the latest fashion.”

 

Amy’s expression showed her disapproval of the idea. “I don’t feel myself today maybe tomorrow.” After the initial excitement the crowd would die down and she could show her face.

 

Jonathan remained quiet. Again something else distracted him – his morning paper.

 

“You mustn’t be afraid of facing the public Amy,” she said nibbling, “Jonathan, don’t you believe that she should go out.”

 

“Sure,” he said dryly without lifting his gaze.

 

Amy took up her cup. “I love a crowd but not one that gawks at me and whispers harsh things behind my back. Where are you going?” Jonathan had eased away his chair, rising.

“To my office where else would you think I’m going?” Probably to meet that maid… 

“Nowhere,” she shrugged, “I’m finished as well.” She wiped the corners of her mouth and placed the napkin on the table. “Come Clara…” Clara’s face expressed disappointment but she still followed.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The day passed on. Celia noticed that Amy and Clara drifted upstairs and downstairs at various times – never venturing outside. They must have gotten bored with her. By the time she took that slow walk to Jonathan’s office they had retreated to Amy’s room. She was fully aware that he was waiting.

 

A knock on his door and she heard the command to enter.

 

“Good day Dr. Campbell. I’ve come to clean your office. How has your day been so far?” she asked without looking at him.

 

He sat at the edge of his desk, arms folded. “My day has been good and bad – patients happy to see me, followed your suggestion regarding the alternative medicine. But the way you are behaving towards me suggests that you don’t want to talk to me. So how should we solve our disagreement?”

 

“We don’t have a disagreement. The situation has already been resolved. Do as you like…you’ll do it anyway so why bother speaking about it.” A slap delivered by words.

 

“I’d rather you refrain from treating me coldly.” He gazed at the floor then back at her. “Do you understand what it is like for me not being with the woman I love most in this world and our son?”

 

“Do you fault me for creating a new life without you?” She stared at him. “My new life carries certain obligations but you don’t care about that.” She felt a heat surging through her body when his eyes drifted across her length.

 

He smiled. “I want to kiss those sweet lips of yours...very badly,” he said in a sultry voice.

 

Unnerved that he had changed the conversation she responded, “No…,” with little conviction in her tone.

 

He advanced ever closer to where she stood unmoving. “Then runaway like you did after our first kiss.”

 

So he had been reminiscing about their past. “I’m not going to run away,” she responded softly.

 

He was coming closer. Uncertain of his full intent she backed away slowly. The temperature in the room was steadily rising and his piercing brown eyes were sending off a strong signal – I want you. She was wilting under the weight of his glare – heart pounding, breathing heavily.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Upstairs Amy and Clara were formulating a plan. Well mainly Amy because Clara had grown tired of it all…not understanding why her friend could be so bothered about a housemaid, a married housemaid with a child. She stretched out on the bed paying keen attention to her fingernails while Amy paced around the room.

 

“I’ve got it!” Amy brightened.

 

“What?”

 

“Wednesday is the day that we should carry out our plan.” She joined her on the bed.

 

The plan was simple – go over to the Campbell’s estate, obtain the necessary information, confront Celia giving her the option of leaving and forgetting about Jonathan.

 

“Why Wednesday?”

 

“Because Jonathan will be gone for most of the day doing volunteering at Her Majesty’s infirmary. And you know what else we could do that same day?”

 

“I don’t know Amy tell me,” she taunted.

 

Amy was a little troubled by Clara’s response but she let it go. “If Celia refuses to leave then you’ll accuse her of stealing from you.”

 

Clara opened her mouth in surprise. “Me?!”

 

“It has to come from you. Jonathan would be suspicious if the accusation came from my lips. He is very intelligent. You can’t get anything pass him but he having known you for these many years wouldn’t question your character.”

 

“I don’t know Amy. It sounds like you’re taking this a bit too far. She has a family.”

 

“Why do you care? Weren’t you the same person telling me to let her go?”

 

“But you want to throw her in jail!”

 

“Fine! Go On! Leave my room!” She began pushing her off the bed. “In fact leave my house! If you breathe one word of this to Jonathan I’ll know and you don’t want to cross me!”

 

“I can’t believe you’re doing this to me!”

 

Immediately Amy remembered once Clara leaves Jonathan was going to be rid of her. She had to make her stay.

 

“Clara, don’t go! Please forgive me. Those foul words I said weren’t true.” She quickly climbed off the bed to stop Clara from leaving. “I’m just so frustrated by this situation. I love my husband so much and it hurts that he wants to give up on our marriage. Say you’ll forgive me,” her eyes pleaded, “Say you’ll stay. I really need a friend.”

 

“Oh Amy I forgive you. I cannot imagine the pain you must be going through.” She hugged her warmly.

 

That was too easy. Now to get her to agree to my plan... 

From the bathroom Beatrice had been eavesdropping, hearing must of the conversation. Once Amy’s mind was made up there was no way she was going to back away from her plan of throwing Celia in jail. She was faced with a dilemma with possibly her livelihood as a consequence.

<<<<<<<<< 

“Where are you going?”

 

“Nowhere…” Her back had reached the wall. “They’re spying on us…”

 

“I don’t give a damn. They don’t know what’s going on in here. We are behind closed doors.”

 

She closed her eyes, moistened her lips, preparing for the eventuality but it never came. Instead he lifted his chin, placing a small kiss on her forehead. “You may go. I’m sure you’re needed in the kitchen,” he said withdrawing then turning. “My office is quite suitable. It doesn’t need any cleaning today.”

 

Rage surged within her – all this bloody buildup for nothing! This wasn’t the time to be playing with her emotions. The situation was so much worst for her and here he was playing a stupid game. Damn Him!  “Bastard!” she yelled, hurling her weight on his back.

 

Caught off guard he quickly turned around, grasping her tightly. “That’s my father…remember.”

 

“Let me go…,” she said writhing in his arms but he was far too strong. He took away all her strength – her will to fight against him.

  

His lips crushed down hard on her mouth and she responded, kissing him with the same fervor as he was doing to her. But it had to end before it went past the point of no return – she had to end it. Catching their breaths, they stood regarding each other.

 

“Could you please hold off until…I haven’t been myself. For now I need you to be my support...as my friend. Could please you do this for me?” Her captivating brown eyes beseeched him.

 

He could do this one thing until the time was right. “Yes…” he grasped her arms then drew her into an embrace. “Everything is going to be alright my love. I’ll make sure of it. I love you too much not to try.”

 

One week, four days, seven hours…Suddenly time had become an enemy.

 

user posted image