Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Her wait in the corner café seemed forever. It seemed like hours. Why was Clara taking so long? She endured the whispers, the giggles, trying her best to block them out with Beatrice by her side.

"Don't you have better things to do?" She sniped at the adjacent table. "Or better things to talk about?" But the two ladies just turned their heads away. In England she had been around far superior genteel so a few busybodies weren't going to distract her in the least.

"Mrs. Campbell maybe I should go and look see where they are?" Beatrice asked. She too had heard the constant whispers and was getting tired of the spectacle.

"Alright but don't take too long."

<<<<<<<<< 

"Sofie, I want you to go and hail a cab."

"But why ma'am? What about Mrs. Campbell?"

"She's not my concern anymore!" Her face vexed. "Go and find us a carriage instead of standing here asking questions!" Sofie hurried away.

Clara patted her brow. Even though her heart and mind were racing she knew what needed to be done - return to the Dr. Campbell's estate and collect her belongings. There was no way she was going to spend another evening in that house around a crazed woman especially with Sara's threat fresh in her thoughts. She wanted to start a new life and not end it because of a friend like Amy. If she thought about it clearly Amy has never been a true friend at all. She was always called upon when Amy needed a shoulder to lean on never the other way around.

Finally a carriage pulled up and she quickly entered. From a short distance away Beatrice saw her boarding the carriage and immediately went back inside.

"Mrs. Campbell, I believe just now I saw Ms. Clara boarding a carriage."

"Nonsense," she rebuffed. "You must be imagining things."

"Go and look for yourself if you don't believe me."

Amy went outside. A carriage raced past her but she wasn't sure if Clara was inside or not. She assumed that her time was wasted.

"I told you Beatrice that you were mistaken. Maybe you should get your eyes examined." Maybe someone should examine your brain Beatrice thought. "We'll wait another ten more. Surely she has been delayed. Pour me some more tea."

To sit and wait in this modern day coliseum wasn't what Beatrice hoped for. Amy was frontline entertainment, pretending that the stares and whispers weren't affecting her greatly. After pouring the tea Beatrice hung her head solemnly praying that the day would soon be over.

<<<<<<<<< 

Annabelle and Sonia arrived from the market. Their baskets loaded with provisions. At the same time Celia was passing them on her way to the parlor when Annabelle stopped her.

"Sonia, Celia is going to help me in the kitchen. Take over her duties until I call for you."

Celia and Sonia stared at one another puzzled.

"Am I going to get a talking to about last night?" Celia asked apprehensive.

"No," Annabelle smiled, "Just come along with me."

Celia took Sonia's basket and followed in her tracks unsure of Annabelle's request for her assistance. One way or the other Jonathan was involved.

Entering the kitchen Annabelle said, "Get those potatoes, wash them and start peeling."

She found the potatoes, washed them in a bowl and began peeling all the while sensing that she should be prepared for a tongue lashing of some sort. Unfortunately Annabelle was taken her sweet time.

How to peel a potato? A potato could be peeled in various ways. Start at the top and work your way down, stop and do it over again. Or start at the stop working your way down and around.

The suspense was killing her. At first Annabelle took out all the food items, spreading them across the kitchen counter. Then she gathered all the bowls, pots, pans and kitchen utensils needed.

"Celia, Jonathan told me something last night that I could hardly believe."

"What did...he tell you?" she asked in a small voice, setting aside another perfectly peeled potato.

"That Joshua is his son."

Celia wiped her hands slowly on the kitchen cloth. "Joshua is his son." Celia observed Annabelle dicing a carrot. It occurred to her that a nice stew must be on the evening's menu.

"While you were at the estate didn't I tell you to come to me anytime you needed help?"

"I couldn't get you involved Ms. Annabelle."

And why would she? When she and Jonathan first started their association Annabelle warned her about becoming absorbed in his life - with Mrs. Bennington around she needed to be very vigilant. Again she gave her a stern warning when she suspected their further involvement explaining to her the pitfalls of having a child by a man with whom there would never be a future. Seeing that she failed in paying heed to her warnings how could she have gone to her.

"Instead you involve another man."

"Joseph knew how things were from the beginning. I kept nothing from him. I didn't force him to marry me. Mama said go ahead, give him a chance. She couldn't help me anymore because of her eyesight going bad. I also felt that I would never see Jonathan again." The last sentence she said softly.

"So I guess I'm the one to blame for all this." She placed one hand on her hip. "I still wish you would have come to me child then maybe all of this could have been avoided. After he lost you I had to pray real hard for that boy...then his mother died. For his own good he had to get out of the Bay... too many sad, sad memories." She stared out the window then sighed. "When he came back I was happy that he had a wife but still there was that look in his eyes. Maybe I told him to hire you for my own selfish reasons given that by now I couldn't stand his wife. I knew well enough that it would have sparked something between the two of you.  Don't deny I Celia. You still are peeling those potatoes."

"Yes ma'am." She took up another.

"Know how Jonathan feels about the situation especially now that he has a son. What are you going to do?"

"For these two years Joseph has been there for my son."

"That's Joshua what about you?"

"What about me?"

"Jonathan is going to fight for the woman he loves and his son. You're the only one that can hurt Jonathan so if you decide to stay with Joseph tell him directly. Celia his heart can't take another heartbreak."

"Neither can I..."

<<<<<<<<< 

"Jonathan!" Ben accosted him before he could ascend his horse. "On horseback today?"

"Well I'm trying to get as many things accomplished today as I can."

"Have we gone down to the Courthouse?" He asked with amused eyes.

"My petition for a divorce is in the process of being granted."

"Amazing that you got it done so quickly..." Jonathan grinned at Ben's sly comment. "Amy isn't going to accept this without a fight."

"Believe me she will accept it."

"I see. Then come down to the club for a celebratory drink."

"I thought you were spending more time with Ana."

"Sometimes couples need a respite from one another. She wants to visit her social circle and so do I."

"I'll join you later on but I still have things to take care of," He said climbing atop his horse.

"How about you join us for lunch?"

"Lunch it is."

<<<<<<<<< 

Clara regretted returning to the house. She had packed so many things for her week's stay and now she would be unable to get fit everything in time.

"Leave it Sofie. Are most of my best dresses and jewelry already in this trunk?"

"Yes ma'am"

"Go and call Henderson to help carry it down. The cab will return shortly."

But as Sofie rushed to open the door she came across Amy standing with a perplexed on her face. "What is this all about? I waited for you at the café and here you are."

"I can't remain here any longer."

"Why?"

"My cab is returning and I can't talk about this right now."

"Clara you did something for me. Now what did Sara tell you?"

Amy stood at the doorway determined to elicit a response but Clara pushed past her never acknowledging the question. She yelled for Henderson to help with her luggage. Henderson came up the stairs ready to assist but...

"Henderson you'll do no such thing!"

"Fine! Sofie and I can do it ourselves."

"Clara I want to know what Sara said... damn you!" she yelled grabbing her arm.

"Let go of me! You're demented!" Clara tried twisted her arm away but Amy held it fast. "Let me go!"

The situation was getting out of control and Beatrice intervened. "Mrs. Campbell let her go. You don't want another scandal becoming public fodder," she whispered. Amy took a deep breath and let her go.

"Go on...leave me then. I see the type of friend you are - turning your back on me when I'm most in need," she cried.

"In my times of need were you ever there fore me Amy? Your sniveling is not going to work this time around especially when it interferes with my own life. Sofie take hold of the other end of the trunk and let's get out of this accursed house."

They struggled to get the trunk down the stairs. Henderson stood by helplessly feeling Amy's cold steely glare on him.

"You're evil Clara!"

An upset Amy marched into Clara's room yelling for Beatrice, Henderson and Amos to follow.

"All of you listen to me very carefully. You are not to breathe a word of Clara's departure to Dr. Campbell. Do I make myself clear?"

"Yes ma'am"

"Beatrice, go and look for Celia and bring her to me." Celia had to be dealt with now. "As for Henderson and Amos I want you both to take all of Clara's things that were left behind and burn them in the backyard," she said vehemently.

Outrageous but they had to do as they were told. Beatrice knew one thing - she was going to pretend to seek out Celia.

<<<<<<<<< 

What went on out there? Celia hid by the edge of wall underneath the staircase listening to the unfolding drama. The most interesting part of the heated discussion was Sara's name being mentioned. It was clear that Amy and Clara went out to speak with of all people Sara. The sound of her heart beating resonating in her ears - knowing Sara she would have spilled every detail to fulfill her own sick desires. Stay or Leave? She twisted her fingers. Where was Jonathan? She couldn't just stand around and wait for Amy to pounce on her. She had to hide.

<<<<<<<<< 

Inexplicably Beatrice was unable to find Celia. These servants were useless when it really counted.

"Did you search everywhere?!"

"I searched everywhere ma'am but I couldn't find her," she responded in a low tone. Her head bowed, arms resting at her side.

Amy folded her arms not believing her words. "Since you can't perform a simple task I'll find her on my own," she replied in her superior tone.

Her search for Celia was proving to be just as fruitless. She didn't believe Annabelle and Sonia so she opened up the housemaid's closet, checked the cupboards - nothing. Maybe she was in the servants quarters - peeking under beds still nothing. Outside in the stable... Sonia found it all amusing while Annabelle shook her head smiling a little.

Little did she know that Celia was at the west end of the property standing behind the huge poinsettia tree periodically peeking to see if Jonathan had returned.

"AH!" She screamed that Celia was more trouble than she had thought but she felt that she had one more day to take care of business - Wednesday. "That housemaid will get what's coming to her."

<<<<<<<<< 

1:00 p.m.

Clink. The three friends had enjoyed a great lunch exclusionary of Thomas' sour mood. The club's dining hall was noisy with activity - many upper crusted men chose to dine there.

"A toast to Thomas," Ben said, raising his glass.

"I'm hurting and you're finding it funny Ben," Thomas peeved.

"Thomas please...you're behaving like a scorned lover when Clara hardly paid you any attention."

"Just because you have her sister you want to throw darts in my direction." Thomas drank down the last of his ale.

"Come on Ben - leave him be. Another round of pale ale Charles!" Jonathan shouted at the attendant who nodded.

"Well look who's late for lunch - Addison and his cigar."

Addison puffed away purposefully. "You should be the one to talk Ben when you smoke as much as I do," he replied, pulling up a chair.

"At least I alternate," he smiled.

"Are you hungry?" Jonathan asked.

Addison declined. "I've already eaten."

"I wonder where this time," Ben scratched his chin.

"None of your damn business!" he laughed.

"I don't know how you could treat women so crudely," Thomas sniped.

"Thomas I understand your pain...really I do but you shouldn't be so judgmental."

"In a certain respect our friend Thomas might be on point - you should consider settling down."

Addison grimaced. "Because you have - I'm not prepared to shackle myself to anyone like Jonathan or have my heart supposedly broken like Thomas."

"Unshackled my good friend..."

Charles returned with the drinks and Jonathan requested another glass for Addison.

"What you've finally had it completed?" Addison reacted surprised.

"Somewhat," Jonathan replied lifting his glass to his lips.

"Don't go spreading the word around. I'm sure Jonathan needs some time to recover," Ben said nudging Jonathan.

"Well I say let's get rid of the cheap drinks and order ourselves some fine whiskey!" Addison yelled cheerful.

"Hear! Hear!" They all shouted.

<<<<<<<<< 

Clara was gone and so was Celia if things didn't change she would be too. Jonathan was taking his time in returning home - which was both good and bad. He wasn't there to notice Clara's absence but then again she had to come up with an explanation if he were to ask about her. After lunch Amy retreated to her room - stretching out on her bed while Beatrice sat in a chair close to her.

"Again I say that you're not to breathe a word of Clara's departure to Dr. Campbell."

Beatrice understood it very well she didn't have to repeat herself. "Yes ma'am."

<<<<<<<<< 

My how time past quickly when you're socializing with great friends. They rarely got together because of their conflicting schedules but when they did have an opportunity sometimes it was hard to leave.

When he entered the gates there was joy in his heart or was it because he was a little tipsy - fully aware of his surroundings. Lawrence met him by the walkway.

"Good day Lawrence. How has it been around here?"

"Good day sir. It has been fairly quiet."

 

Henderson greeted him at the front door adding, "Dr. Campbell, will you be taking a late lunch?"

"Heaven's no Henderson. Earlier I ate at the club. Isn't it coming close to dinner time?" He took off his jacket, handing it to Henderson along with his hat, cane and gloves.

"A couple more hours sir..."

"There you see. I can wait."

 

When he caught sight of Celia his eyes lighted up to see this vision of loveliness coming towards him. Being this close to the finish made the outlook on his life much brighter than it had been in quite a while. As she came closer there was something in her eyes that told him all was not well.

"It's imperative that I speak to you," she implored.

"Of course...let's go to my study."

A better alternative - didn't want to run into Amy and Clara conversing in the parlor.

<<<< 

"Jo..." but her words died on her lips as his mouth claimed her own.

At first she was stunned but she quickly gave into the sensations that his tongue was causing her to experience - love, desire. It made her completely forget about what she was so desperate to tell him.

She moaned softly, allowing his tongue to delve deeper. His arms encircled her waist, hers around his neck but then he withdrew abruptly. Surprised she opened her eyes to find that his were still closed - his breathing shallow, trying to regain his composure.

He caressed her cheek. "At this moment I'm finding it very hard to keep my promise to you."

"After drinking whiskey no doubt," she smiled comfortably. Its bitter taste had invaded her mouth but she enjoyed the intrusion.

He smiled as well noting the gleam in her eyes. "My friends and I had lunch together and it got a bit away from us."

"But you're feeling alright otherwise."

"Definitely... I'm sorry what did you want to speak to me about?" He stroked his forehead.

In an instant it came back to her. "Yes...well... it's about your wife and her friend Clara. Jonathan I believe they've found out about us with Sara's help I'm afraid."

He was left speechless. Jonathan absorbed her words then studied her expression seriously - her face a mixture of sadness and fear. Celia said it so plainly - Amy was going behind his back enquiring about his personal affairs - speaking to Sara. She had gone too far. Now was the time to act.

There came a steady knocking on his door.

"Dr. Campbell..."

"Come in Henderson."

"A note for you sir..."

Henderson handed him a sealed white envelope with the word URGENT spelt out in bold lettering on its face.

"Another thing to worry about....," he muttered, frustrated.

He hoped that the message wasn't about his patient Mr. Gregg who was dealing with a mysterious illness that had kept him confined to bed for over a week. Through much prodding he had convinced the family to make use of some herbal treatments and it seemed to be working well.

He grabbed his letter opener, slicing away the top, pulling out the note which he began reading earnestly. He looked up and stared at Celia before rushing out of the room.

"What is it now?" Celia worried. He wasn't able to deal with their problem and it looked like he had a new one. "Is there ever going to be peace in this house?"

<<<<<<<<< 

"Henderson is Amos upstairs?"

"No Dr. Campbell he's out in the backyard."

"Doing what?!" Henderson stumbled over his response. "Never mind! Go get him quickly and I want you both to wait outside of Amy's room for further instructions."

"Yes sir."

Thereafter Jonathan bounded up the stairs. That note ignited a rage inside of him. This plotting by his wife had to end. No way was he going allow her to hurt his beloved.

"Open the damn door Amy! I know you're in there!"

Amy's heart skipped a beat as she lifted her head.

            

"I think he knows," Beatrice trembled.

"Shut up Beatrice," she whispered harshly.

 

Jonathan began pounding on the door. "Open the door before I break it down!"

"Just a moment!" She turned to Beatrice. "Beatrice I want you to stay calm. Do you hear me?"

"Y-yes ma'am" Amy pointed a finger at her in warning. Beatrice crept to a quiet place in the corner.

She smoothed out her hair and dress, adjusted her cap then opened the door.

 

"Took you long enough!" he growled.

"Well I was resting..."

"READ IT!" He stormed past, flinging the note at her. She began to read it silently.

 

Dr. Campbell,

In the past I'm sure others had voiced their concerns about your wife's indiscretions but now she has taken it a step further. She and one of her friend's one Ms. Clara Lancaster have been going around asking about your personal history. They implied that your housemaid Celia was causing you immense stress. I know everyone has a skeleton or two in their closet but your wife is unearthing yours.

 

Meanwhile Jonathan began hunting for her trunk.

This can't be! That Witch Sara! It had to be her who else could it be! She tore the paper to shreds. "That's what I think of that stupid note!"

"This is what I think of our stupid marriage!" Jonathan went to the shelf, tossing her clothes on the floor. "I want you gone!"

"Don't Jonathan..." She grabbed his arm. "You promised not to do this!"

"Let go of my sleeve!" But she wouldn't and he pushed her to the floor. She wailed.

"I'm still your wife! How could you do this?" she cried, rising slowly from the floor, gripping the edges of the vanity. "Did you ever love me? Or were you always in love with someone else?"

"Finally you begin to understand." He crept up behind her. "You're a fungus that I need to cut away from my flesh! I never loved you." He whispered in her ear, "Celia has always been my one true love. You hurt her - never. "

A horrified Amy spun around. "Bastard!"

"Ahhhh!" She scratched him across his left cheek.

"You're screaming now soon you'll be dead!"

Amy grabbed Beatrice's sewing scissors from atop the dresser and swung at him but this time he was prepared. He seized her wrist, squeezing her hand tightly until the scissors fell away.

"I HATE YOU!"

She tossed her head violently - using her feet to kick at him and teeth to bite at his hand. He didn't want to strike her but trying to control Amy was exhausting. His back was hitting hard against the dresser - knocking over perfumes and picture frames. Sweat poured down his face, stinging his injured cheek.

"HENDERSON! AMOS!" The two rushed in and were finally able to subdue her on the floor. "Bind her."

While Henderson held down the screaming Amy, Amos searched and found some strips of cloth to bind her feet, hands and mouth.

"W-What are you going... to do with... her sir?" Henderson asked breathless.

"All of us are going down to the bailiff." He coughed, wiping his brow.

"Sir, what about your injured face?" Beatrice asked, shakily coming out of her corner.

"Can't do anything about it right now..." He bent over and coughed again. That woman might be petite but she was a hellion. His entire body felt battered. "Amos, tell Lawrence to bring the carriage around."

<<<<<<<<< 

Downstairs Celia fretted about the strange noises she was hearing upstairs but she dared not interfere. Then Amy's bedroom door opened. It was a troubling display...a withdrawn Amy being carried down the stairs by Amos with Jonathan, Henderson and Beatrice walking solemnly behind. Jonathan gave her a dose of silver tonic to calm her nerves.  

What's wrong with Jonathan? Celia hastened to his side. The others pressed onward exiting through the front door.

Three finger-nailed scratches lined his cheek. "Jonathan you're hurt," she expressed, concerned, airily touching his cheek.   

"A mere scratch I'll take care of it when I return." He patted her hand and kissed it.

"Where are you going?"

"Down to the bailiff...Amy is going to be charge with a crime. It's going to take a long while," he sighed.

"May I go with you?"

"No Celia. It wouldn't be wise to take you to such a place." He kissed her lightly. "You and Sonia may go home."

She stepped back and watched him leave thankful that Jonathan wasn't hurt much worst.

<<<<<<<<< 

Since the kitchen was located at the back of the house Annabelle and Sonia didn't have a clue about what was going on until Celia informed them about what she had gathered.

Sonia was gleeful with Amy's demise. "Sorry bout Dr. Campbell but that witch deserve everything she got!"

"Long as Dr. Campbell alright then I'm not worried," Annabelle said.

"Celia finally we can take home some leftovers."

"Sonia I'm sure everyone will come back to eat."

"But Ms. Annabelle Amy's friend..."

Celia hardly paid attention to the bantering - her mind was ill at ease. Today her heart had a real scare. Jonathan may have downplayed the ordeal but she knew more went on upstairs than he was letting on. "No matter everything is alright for now."

<<<<<<<<< 

Inspector Davies' office was small, hot and it needed a proper dusting. Jonathan sat across from him - drained, famished, aching. His body was begging for a warm bath and his stomach a hearty meal.

"How much longer is this going to take Inspector?" he complained. They had already been there for three hours.

Inspector Davies wide eyes regarded him before adjusted his collar. He was a good representation of the Bay's constabulary - forthright, stiff upper lip, duty to God and Queen. He also managed to assist Dr. Campbell in attended to his wound. "Dr. Campbell we must do proper investigation and take precise statements." Jonathan watched as he dipped his quill and wrote briskly. "We're finished here. All I need is your signature." He passed the document and the quill over to him.

"Is that all you need Inspector?" he asked, quizzically, signing the document.

"Your wife is entitled to a fair hearing but given that we have a backlog of cases who knows when that may be. We'll send word when the trial date is set."

"Thanks Inspector Davies" Jonathan stood giving him a firm handshake. "Let's get one thing straight she is no longer my wife."

"Of course Dr. Campbell you are correct."

<<<<

It was good to walk out from Her Majesty's Prison - fresh air. After they brought Amy inside she was taken away and he never saw her again - not that he cared.

His staff was outside waiting patiently. They too were tired and hungry.

"Dr. Campbell, what are Amos and I going to do now?"

Beatrice had a legitimate question given the circumstance.

"I haven't decided as yet but if you both want to leave I'll find your employment. This evening has been tiresome to speak about these things now. Let's go home."

<<<<<<<<< 

Her uneasiness had kept her mind and body restless. On the other hand Joshua had found his sleep rather quickly which was good. A pity that Lydia was right there on settee sitting alongside - no peace at this house either but maybe the baby was interrupting her sleep Celia thought. She didn't want to get into any heated discussions with her so she kept quiet.

"Heard Dr. Campbell wife in jail. Everyone say she gone crazy. I wonder why?"

"Don't know," was all Celia said.

 

Knock...Knock

"Who could that be?"

Celia! Celia!

She knew that voice - Jonathan. She got up and opened the door happily. The look on his face was a mixture of joy and anticipation.

"Who is it Celia?"

But Celia couldn't respond because Jonathan lips were kissing her passionately.

"I love you. Can't wait anymore come with me Celia...you and Joshua... It's time for our family to finally be together."

 

user posted image

 

"Dr. Campbell Celia not going nowhere!"