Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Who was this interloper? Judging her malcontent she must be a close relative of Celia or her husband. 

 

Lydia was unyielding in her stance between the would-be lovers. She stood at the doorway with arms folded glaring at Jonathan.

 

“Who are you to speak on Celia’s behalf?” Jonathan asked angrily.

 

“My oldest sister Lydia who needs to mind her own business,” Celia replied vexed.

“Older sister she may be but what right does she have to interfere.”

 

“Dr. Campbell, you know Celia married.”

 

“Married to a man she doesn’t love.”

 

“Married to a man who is out there, trying hard to take care of his family. He don’t have a lot of money like you but he have love.”

 

“I have love! It’s Celia’s life! It’s her decision!”

 

“It not only her life. She have her husband and his son.”

 

“My son!” he corrected. “I can make her happy. I can give her everything she needs including love.”

 

“Love Humph…” Lydia voiced her displeasure. “Everything she needs is right here. So your wife went crazy and you come to steal my sister.”

 

“My affairs are none of your concern,” he warned.

 

Celia moved away exhausted. They were arguing as if she wasn’t even there and their constant yelling was providing late night and early morning chatter for the neighbors. Not that it would help much but she wanted to draw them inside.

 

“Celia…” He tried reaching out to her. His eyes scanned the room. Inside of the house was smaller than he envisioned. Where did Celia and Joshua sleep? How many people actually dwelled in this house? More than ever he was resolved that his family shouldn’t spend another night is this place. “Celia I have the means to take care of our family. Come with me.”

 

“Joseph may not have much but remember he was there for you,” Lydia countered.

 

Jonathan couldn’t counteract that argument. It was a reminder of the biggest failure in his life. The one area where Joseph had the best defense against any line of reasoning he may pose. Clearly Celia was giving it much thought.

 

“I know Lydia…I know…,” she agreed.

 

“You see Dr. Campbell my sister has made up her mind to stay.” Lydia smiled with confidence.

 

Not for a moment could he accept Lydia’s observation. He strode towards her asking, “Did we willing walk away from each other?”

 

She shifted her eyes then stared back at him. Beautiful brown eyes glistening with tears – he yearned to be her comfort. “No...” 

 

“If you had told me about the baby…,” he murmured, clasping her chin

 

“He couldn’t do nothing,” Lydia growled. “Mr. Campbell had him trapped. Everybody know that.”

 

“For heaven’s sake would you please be quiet!” she yelled after her.

 

“This is our house not his! I’m going to wake up mama,” she said, marching away.

 <<<  

“It’s better that you leave. We shouldn’t be…”

 

He squeezed her hands. “I’m never going to leave you again.”

 

“Just because you’re unattached doesn’t mean that I can walk away from my husband.”

Her tears flowed and he wiped them away. She closed her eyes, pursing her lips, trying to make it stop but it wouldn’t. They were both hurting. Why did it hurt so much to be with the person you love? 

“How can you ask me to walk away from you again…from our son... If you asked me to go down on my knees I would…but don’t ask me to leave your side because it will haunt me for the rest of my days.” 

 

“Why must it be now?” she moaned. “Why can’t you wait until he returns?”

 

Their foreheads touched. “Wait another week pretending that I don’t want to be with you, I can’t hold you in my arms; saying how much I love you. You and Joshua belong with me.”

  

“Good evening Dr. Campbell. What are you doing to my daughter?” Abigail asked, drawing her shawl closer. Lydia stood behind expecting much from her mother’s appearance.

 

“Good evening Mrs…” He hesitated as he lifted his head.

 

“Ms. Abigail...”

 

She heard Joshua stirring and excused herself. Jonathan knew he was breaking through but he had to let her go.

 

“Mrs. Abigail I’m not doing anything horrible to your daughter. I love her. I love my son. They are my family,” he replied plainly.

 

“But you are still a married man and so is my daughter.”

 

“Pardon me madam but I’m no longer married.” He cleared his throat.

 

“I’m sorry. I also see that you were hurt.” She noticed the redness and the marks on his face.

 

“Mere scratches…not anything to worry about.”

 

Lydia grew tired of the small talk. “Mama, tell him to go. He don’t belong here. He wants to take Celia away.”

 

“My daughter is right Dr. Campbell you should leave. Even though your circumstances have changed my daughter’s hasn’t. Her husband is away at sea working very hard to support his family. Coming around, creating a distraction isn’t wise.”

 

Jonathan scratched his forehead. “Madam until Celia tells me to leave then I won’t go.”

 

Abigail understood that he was very resolute. “Celia!”

 

“Yes mama…”

 

“Come out here child.” Celia appeared, patting Joshua’s back lightly. “Time for you to tell Dr. Campbell that he must go.”

 

All of them were looking directly at her awaiting her decision on the matter but it wasn’t that simple. From the day that Mr. Campbell banished her from the estate and took away her livelihood it has never been easy. Stay with her husband – Leave with Jonathan. Did it matter which man she chose? Someone is going to be hurt regardless.

 

She took a deep breath. “Since Joshua’s conception I’ve always tried my best to provide for him no matter the consequences. On many occasions I’ve accepted your advice mama and did what I could.”

 

“Jonathan, my love I thought I’d lost you forever…”

 

“But you haven’t – I’m right here…”

 

“Let me finish… You know the way I feel about you. Throughout these agonizing years those emotions have never changed. Our son keeps you alive in my heart.”

 

“Joseph sees Joshua as his own son.”

 

“Yes mama. Joshua will always be a part of his life but is it fair to Joseph that I can’t love him in the same way. Jonathan has come back for me mama. My unending love has returned to me. ”

 

“Celia, you making a big mistake!” Lydia yelled, pointing at her. Abigail stood speechless.

 

Jonathan embraced his family. “I love you Celia.”

 

“I love you too.”

 

They started kissing but Joshua interrupted their bliss with his crying. She passed him over to Jonathan who comforted him.

 

Lydia wanted to scream. “After everything he has done for you – Joseph don’t deserve this,” Lydia quarreled. “If it hadn’t been for Joseph where would you be? Where would all of us be?”

 

“For once in my life I deserve to be happy.”

 

“Joseph didn’t make you happy? ”

 

She didn’t want to argue with her sister anymore and went to her room to pack their few possessions. 

 

“I’m going to get someone to talk some sense into Celia cause she lost all her senses.”

 

“Lydia, don’t go anywhere.” Abigail grabbed her arm. “Celia is old enough to make her own decisions.”

 

“But mama, Celia wrong!”

 

“Why don’t you stop interfering in your sister’s life? You have one of your own that you should be concerned about,” Jonathan observed.

 

Lydia held her peace. It irked her that she couldn’t give Dr. Campbell a good trouncing. Stomping her feet she went off to bed. At the same time Celia returned.

 

“Are you ready to leave?”

 

“Almost…Mama, I know that I’ve disappointed you.”

 

“I’m just surprised by your decision. Don’t know what going to happen when Joseph come back.”

 

“How can I turn him away? Few of us get that opportunity to be with that special person that can make your life feel complete.”

 

Abigail embraced her tightly. “You’re my daughter and even if we don’t agree I still wish you the best.”

 

“Thanks mama…” but inside she knew this was probably her last evening in this house.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Celia retreated to her side of the carriage leaving Jonathan to cradle the sleeping Joshua. Her mood had changed drastically – part of her self was being left behind in the she called home. She realized that her mother wouldn’t be that constant presence in her life anymore. Jonathan didn’t know what to say…how to help her.

 

“I believe that I was misled.”

 

“Did I?” he questioned lighthearted. “How could I mislead someone whose mind was already decided?”

 

Indeed it was a true statement. She wondered when had it being decided – was it their evening at his property or was it the first time they saw each other again. He stroked her hair and she returned a quick smile before turning her gaze to the fleeting road.

 <<<  

“Dr. Campbell… Good evening Ms. Celia…”

 

“Good evening Mr. Henderson.”

 

He gave a lit candle to Celia then left.

 

“I’ll take Joshua to bed.”

 

There was no response from his side. He handed over Joshua and regarded her as she climbed the stairs. It was like she was with him and she wasn’t. Why had she come? He felt like a spurned lover. Maybe he had expected too much – they should be interacting with one another not behaving like strangers. Sitting on the verandah was the best place to be not because he wanted to but he had to leave her alone.

 <<< 

Didn’t I want to come? Don’t I want to be with him? She pondered in the vacated guest room. Joshua looked so tiny in the huge bed. Indeed Jonathan had so much to offer them both financially and emotionally. It wasn’t quite right because Joseph was not only owed her gratitude but also an explanation before she accepted Jonathan’s proposal.

 

“Celia you’re here and look at what you’ve done – distancing yourself from the man you claim to love most in this world,” she admonished herself.

 

“A short while ago he was very elated but now he seems lost – unclear of what he should do to help me. I need to speak to him immediately.”

 <<<<<<<<  

“You’re outside. I’d thought...”

 

“She’s here,” he replied in an exasperated tone, standing.

 

“No happy ending I suppose.”

 

“Not as yet…but I’m not giving up that easily.” His fingers plowed through his hair. “As long as I live I’ll never understand the moods of women.”

 

Annabelle smirked. “Lord, help me understand men’s impatience. Just because you have emerged from your darkness doesn’t mean she has.”

 

“But I’m her beacon!” he exclaimed.

 

What a metaphor. “Celia has a conscious.”

 

“Then she shouldn’t have come.”

 

“The love of her live beseeching her to come away with him…How many of us get to experience that romanticism. I dare you to go and tell her to go back home.”

 

“You know that’s not I want.”

 

“Then bear the mood,” she replied with a wry smile then proceeded to walk away.

 

Three times he banged his palms against the verandah’s railing before going back to his seat.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Annabelle came across a nervous Celia drifting down the stairs.

 

“Celia…”

 

“Ms. Annabelle…” Guilt kept her frozen. She hadn’t expected to see Annabelle.

 

“Jonathan is on the verandah waiting for you. I’ll see to Joshua for the rest of the evening,” she smiled.

 

“Thank you,” Celia managed to respond.

 

Jonathan always confided to Annabelle but nonetheless Celia felt ill-at-ease around her.

 <<<<<<<<<  

She walked to where he was but Jonathan was giving her a cold reception.

 

“Joshua sleeping well,” he asked without facing her.

 

“Comfortably… He is in capable hands for the rest of the evening.”

 

“That’s good to note,” he returned but he kept his head straightforward.

 

Maybe if she sat down next to him…”You don’t want to speak with me?”

 

“After all of this evening’s events I find that I’m very tired,” he said, leaning his head away from her.

 

She snuggled in closer. Her eyes scanned his cheek. There was some redness around the scratches. She kissed it tenderly while stroking along his arm. “Should I be begging for your forgiveness?” He could never say that he was unaffected by this small gesture – a part of his anatomy was already awakening.

 

She continued trailing soft kisses from his cheek to the contour of his neck. “Should I? Please…forgive…me.” He wanted to speak but words failed him. All that came out was a pleasurable sigh. But she stopped immediately and laid her head on his shoulders.

 

He stood, turned around and saw a twinkle in her eyes. “You’re teasing me.” A sly smile spread across his lips. She did a damn good job of it too.

 

“You’ve done it to me how many times?”

 

“Enough for you to do the same to me...Celia it hurts when you won’t speak to me.”

 

“A bad habit that I need to break…I promise you that whenever something is on my conscious I’ll speak to you. I’ve missed you so much.”

 

“And I’ve missed you.”

 

This thing between them was rekindling. A subtle moistening of his lips and the gleam in his eyes caused shivers to travel through her entire body. They hadn’t been together for so long – only in her dreams and his.

 

“What are you waiting for?”

 

“For you to come to me…come to me,” he said in that low, seductive voice.

 

She leapt into his arms – lips pressed together, arms lovingly stroking each other but they wanted so much more. Not out here but upstairs…in his room...on his bed. He lifted her up and carried her away.

 <<<  

The window was opened and a lone candle stood lighted on the dresser. They stretched out on his bed, kissing feverishly both overtaken by their innermost burning desires to claim one another. Jonathan lied between her legs; the weight of his shaft pressed up against her stomach – considerably lengthy and rigid. She heard her heart beating and breath accelerated.

 

“My love you’ve changed much since last we were together,” he whispered by her ear.

 

“Are these changes very pleasing to you?” she asked stealthily.

 

“Very… kissing her swollen lips Very…fingers began stroking deep inside of her Pleasing.”

 

“Hmmm…”

 

Amazing how bearing his son had enhanced every curve – his hands and lips wanted to explore each one but just for little while longer. The movement of his fingers quickened and then…

 

“Ahhh…” she climaxed. This time he kissed her gently.

 

The evening was far from over and her glazed eyes begged for more of his love. “I need you,” she said breathlessly and touched the tip of his shaft finding it moist. He groaned.

 

“You’ll scream my name…”

 

“I’ve wanted to do that for a longtime,” she licked her lips. He eased his way inside of her little by little. “JO…DAMN!” She gripped and regripped the sheet feeling herself being stretched beyond her limits.

 

“Breathe…relax…” She relaxed and he filled her. “My love you’re so beautiful.”

 

“And you are magnificent…OH!” His increasing thrusts hurt so damn good. “Always…love you…”

 

The once cool room was steaming. Cries of pleasure and the smell of lust permeated the air. He was reaching the heart of her and he plunged in deeper. Her walls closed in around his shaft. “JONATHAN!” …and she was spent – drained of everything. He soon followed collapsing on top of her. Both had to take a moment to regain normal breathing.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Intertwined with each other Celia’s mind and heart concentrating on one man – Jonathan.

 

 “Now I consider that the best intimate moment of my life,” he said, breaking the silence.

 

“Well I consider it a close second.”

 

He nipped at her neck causing her to giggle. “There’s no other night that comes close to what we just experienced.”

 

“But there was one other. The night Joshua was conceived.”

 

“The night Joshua was conceived.” he iterated.

 

“A warm evening…my worrying about Mrs. Bennington…”

 

“That night…Oh that night,” he chuckled. “Other nights lay ahead to create new memories.”

 

“As long as it’s you and no one else...”

 

They made love two more times until their bodies surrendered to repose.

 <<<<<<<<<  

The first spring shower and his eyes sprung open; frightened by a nightmare. It was only a dream because here she was spooned against his body. Immediately his thoughts turned to something different. He trailed a hand up and down her thigh.

 

“MmHmm…” She shifted slightly.

 

“One more time until the morning’s light.”

 

“One more…”

 <<<<  

“I love you.” …were the last words that past his lips.

 

He fell asleep but she stayed awake, listening to his heart beating, light snoring. By no means had last night marked the end of their journey. Many more obstacles lied ahead but as long as they shared a commitment these obstacles could be withstood together.

 

The grandfather clock downstairs chimed 4:00 a.m. Time to get up and attend to her regular needs as well as Joshua’s. Carefully she untangled his arm from around her waist and left him with a parting kiss. She realized how sore she was but she had to bear it. She hoped she wouldn’t walk crookedly.

 <<<<<<<<<  

“Wake up!”

 

“Shake him again Joshua…Tell your papa to wake up.”

 

“Wake up!”

 

His little nudges made him reluctantly start to awaken. “Hmmm…what time is it?” He stretched.

 

“Time for you to rise and get prepared for work…”

 

“Must I?” His eyes fluttered open. “Good morning my love and of course my other heart…” He hoisted Joshua high into the air which made him squeal delightfully.

 

“This is not the day to be far away from my family.”

 

“But you are going,” she pronounced.

 

“Joshua, do you believe that your father should go into work today?” Joshua mimicked his father shaking his head back and forth.

 

Her eyes pleaded. “Jonathan those patients need you more than we do. You and the other physicians provide a quality of care that they may otherwise never enjoy.”

 

He was aware that all of their patients were based on referrals from other physicians or the well meaning benefactors of the infirmary. “Alright a long speech is unnecessary.” She smacked him playfully. He pulled her into his arms kissing her. “There’s always more where that came from.”

 

Celia’s body temperature rose to another level. “Mr. Henderson is outside waiting to assist you,” she said quickly, “Remember to cover thy naked form.”  

    

“Humph…what a choice of words… Are you jealous of others seeing what is already yours? Maybe you want to assist me from now on?” He winked.

 

“Me…jealous…,” she smiled lifting her son. “Mr. Henderson handles that duty perfectly. Besides if I were to assist you when will we ever leave this room…my love?”

 

“I see your point. We do have our…obligations.” He fell back on the bed laughing.

 

It was the happiest he had felt in a long while. He also remembered that there was another who would try to take away his happiness. Not this time father.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Breakfast didn’t turn out to be a quiet affair.

 

“Celia you’re not my housemaid anymore.”

 

“What am I suppose to do while you are away?”

 

“Take care of our son.” Joshua was in his mother’s arms, drinking a bottle of milk. “For the time being I’ve divvied your duties between Ms. Beatrice and Amos”

 

Taking care of Joshua wasn’t enough for her. She had to work hard throughout her life and now he was expecting her to do the opposite. She slumped in her chair, looking very disappointed. Jonathan set his fork aside, using the napkin to wipe the sides of his mouth.

 

“Celia we’re together now.”

 

“My mind and my way of carrying myself cannot change that instantly. All this is new to me and I feel very strange in this new role. I don’t want the other servants being disdainful towards me.”

 

“I’ve already spoken with most of them and they understand the situation.”

 

“Still I want to do more,” she insisted.

 

He paused. “How about I train you as my assistant?”

 

The ladies of the Bay will be so thrilled. “Are you sure?”

 

“You are a remarkable woman and why wouldn’t I want to train you…if we can get past the first lesson,” he said wryly, downing his tea.

 

“Oh Jonathan…”

 

“I must away…duty calls… so says my beloved.”

 

“Have a great day my love.”

 

He kissed them goodbye.

 <<<<<<<<< 

Take care of his son. The huge backyard garden was the perfect place. She could keep an eye on Joshua doing what most boys do – running, flipping, jumping, exploring. Although most of the early morning rain had dissipated Joshua was sure to find a puddle or two to play in.

 

The rooms had to be changed; she had to buy cloth to sew new dresses and adjust her usual behaviors. It all seemed too fast…too soon. She was still married yet was starting to create a new life with someone else.

 

Strange that Sonia hadn’t paid her a visit.

 

 “You’re spending all day in the garden Mrs. Campbell?” Sonia asked sarcastically.

 

She smiled turning around. “I don’t have that title as yet.”

 

“Just so you know Lydia told me how you ran off with Dr. Campbell. It wasn’t a surprise. That man couldn’t keep his eyes or hands off you.” You couldn’t get anything past Sonia. “I think she believes that I can talk some sense into you.”

 

“So you came out here to talk some sense into me?”

 

“No… Joseph is no saint – far from it.”

 

“I never said he was a saint but he is a very good man.”

 

“Your sister is very evil. The gossip is that her baby is Joseph’s.”

 

A look of disbelief crossed her face. “No Sonia….no…That child belong to David.”

 

“Look I need to get back to the kitchen. I just wanted to tell you because I don’t want you to feel bad.”

 

Even if what she intimated was true that didn’t give her cause to rejoice. Two wrongs don’t make a right. Also she wasn’t given Joseph the love that a husband expects from his wife. But of all the women within their community why did he need to choose Lydia. She is always quick to defend him but she was defending their marriage not the opposite.

 

Sonia meant well but that type of behavior wasn’t in Joseph’s nature.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Pennsylvania Port… 

Joseph and most of the black crew chose not to disembark from the ship. With the civil war raging being in Pennsylvania meant they had to be on their guard. On one of his breaks he went in search of the captain but found that he wasn’t at the bridge of the ship. He spied him on the second level of the ship speaking to a new passenger – a familiar face.

 

He waited until he returned to question him.

 

“Captain Cummins who that man you were talking to?”

 

“One Mr. Andrew Campbell…He was making inquiries about the ship’s next port of call. You know him personally?”

 

“I know of him,” Joseph responded warily. “Are we sailing home tomorrow?”

 

“We set sail tonight. I’m sure you’ll be happy to spend some time with your family.”

 

“Yes to see Celia and our son. I’m very happy.”