Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Can’t believe you actually went to work! Ben exclaimed.

 

All three were standing outside on the verandah.

 

Earlier Ben and Addison had arrived at his residence shortly after lunchtime. Upon learning that he wasn’t home they left promising to return.

 

“Damn look at your face!” Ben gave it a thorough examination, holding his chin.

 

“Don’t touch it,” he said pushing aside his hand. “Don’t know where your hand has been lately,” Jonathan grinned.

 

“Well I actually know where your face has been,” Ben said toppling his hat. Jonathan bent down to retrieve it.

 

“I’ll wager that he’s going to wear it like a badge of honor – having conquered the she-devil.”

 

“That’s not a bad idea.” They shared a small laugh. “Maybe I should charge a fee for viewing.”

 

“And afterwards donate the money to some charity…”

 

Ben wasn’t amused. “Gentlemen, this is not particularly funny. The gossipmongers are saying that you were almost killed. Is this true?”

 

“Nothing of the sort… only these scratches and a few other bruises...”

 

“Thankfully,” Ben sighed.

 

“Where’s Thomas? I’d expected the three musketeers.”

 

“After the time we spent together he has disappeared…No one has seen or heard from him,” he replied soberly.

 

Jonathan became concerned. “Ben, you don’t believe?”

 

“No,” Addison interjected. “Sometimes you two behave like a couple of mother hens. Thomas needs to be alone right now….That’s All!” He lighted a cigar.

 

“And how would you know?”

 

“Perhaps he’s right,” Jonathan sighed. “But I’m grateful to you both for this unexpected visit.”

 

“Unexpected?” Ben immediately questioned. “We’re your friends and were worried about your well-being.”

 

“Ben I do believe that Jonathan means to be rid of us. We haven’t been invited inside,” he observed.

 

“I’ve just returned from a long day at the Infirmary. I haven’t even entered past my front door.”

 

“Healing the sick…raising the dead… Have the Sisters been very attentive?” Addison asked.

 

Jonathan smiled sheepishly. “It’s not the attention that I’m after,” he replied calmly yet his mind drifted.

 

“You rascal…Tell us…Who is she?”

 

A light bulb went off and Ben stared at Jonathan momentarily. You didn’t. “Addison we must leave. Clearly Jonathan needs his rest.”

 

“He does look awful. You need to take it easy for that lady friend of yours.”

 

“Get out of here!” Jonathan teased.

 

Addison went off laughing but Ben added some last words. “May I assume that you have claimed your prize?”

 

Jonathan nodded his head and smiled politely. “Celia is not a prize. She’s the love of my life. When the time is right she’ll be introduced.”

 

“I’ll be awaiting the pleasure,” he said, bidding him adieu.

 

<<<<<<<<<  

After the usual greeting he handed Henderson the outer garbs for storage.

 

“Who is this?” An excited Joshua came running into his arms.

 

“I’ve missed you.” He kissed his forehead. He smelled like he’d just taken a bath.

 

“I miss you,” he responded which pleased his heart.

 

“Good day Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Good day Ms. Beatrice. Where’s my w-w…where’s Celia.”

 

“She’s upstairs…looking at the rooms.”

 

Joshua’s little hands pounded his chest wanting attention. “I play outside.”

 

“What did you do outside?”

 

“Run.”

 

“Hope you didn’t misbehave? Your poor mother must be very tired.” Joshua shook his head.

 

“No…then where is she?” Joshua’s small index finger pointed upstairs. Jonathan smiled saying, “Ms. Beatrice I’ll see to him for a little while before going upstairs. Tell Amos to have my bath ready at the usual time.”

 

“Very well Dr. Campbell.”

<<<  

Indeed Celia was upstairs surveying the rooms. The guest bedroom would be furnished for her son with the basic small bed, chairs and table. Jonathan was sure to stock it with other things that carry a boys’ fancy. However when it came to Amy’s old room she was wary.

 

Beatrice and Amos had spent most of the day clearing and carting way Amy’s personal items. The room was stripped bare leaving behind the dresser, shelf, bed and two chairs. She had an ominous feeling of Amy’s presence lurking somewhere in the shadows. Could she in good conscious stay in this room?

 

“As the Lady of the House I should stay in this room. Why be uncomfortable about someone who isn’t here anymore.”

 

“Talking to yourself?”

 

Celia caught her breath. “Sonia…”

 

Annabelle had given her another short break. She took a seat at the edge of the bed.

 

“Thinking bout everything at once now that things changed?”

 

“And feeling very foolish... I know what to do but... This has never been my life and…,” her voice trailed off.

 

“And it not like you totally free.”

 

“That thing you told me bout Joseph and Lydia… It not something he would do.”

 

“If you say so. But if you really want to know just ask him when he comes back,” she replied nonchalantly.

 

Celia blinked. “I’ve lost the right to question his behavior…look at my own.”

 

“Then don’t ask him,” she shrugged.

 

“I don’t think Joseph will let me go so easily,” she blurted.

 

“Jonathan can take care of it if he doesn’t.”

 

Sonia’s pronouncement reminded Celia that as an English gentleman Jonathan could do just that. All she needed to do was apprise him of the situation – she hoped she didn’t need to do so. Then there was another complication.

 

“Poor Joshua will be torn between his two fathers…”

 

“Celia, stop worrying. Ask yourself… Did you do the right thing? Do you want to spend the rest of your life with Jonathan?”

 

“Yes I want to spend my life with him. I love him with all my heart.”

 

“Then think bout that instead of letting these other things get in the way. You thought you’ll never see him again and look what happen. I believe you and Jonathan meant to be together.”

 

Hearing Sonia say it so definitively made her believe it too. “We are meant to be together.”

 

But you and me different now Celia I’m not jealous,” she said, standing.

 

“I’m happy to hear that.”

 

“Not everyone gets to be with the man they love. I see how he loves you and Joshua.”

 

“We love him too.” They hugged. “Almost thought you want to work somewhere else...”

 

“And give up good wages, good food and Amos,” she giggled. “I’m staying put.”

  

<<<<<<<<<  

The Study… 

Here is my handsome little boy connecting with his father. Two years of your life lost to me.

 

He had Joshua sitting on edge of his desk, feet dangling.  

 

“Do you know your father is a storyteller?” Joshua’s bright, brown eyes stared at him, curious. “Yes indeed but unfortunately I’m not very good at telling children’s stories,” he sighed, lifting him off the desk. “I’ll read you one from my library.”   

 

“Here we go The Ugly Duckling. A classic tale by Hans Christian…”

 

“I want story. I want story,” he said, leaping up and down.

 

“Alright…hold on…I’ll read it to you.”

 

He lifted him on his lap and began reading…

Once upon a time down on an old farm, lived a duck family, and Mother Duck had been sitting on a clutch of new eggs. One nice morning, the eggs hatched and out popped six chirpy ducklings. But one egg was bigger than the rest, and it didn't hatch. Mother Duck couldn't recall laying that seventh egg. How did it get there? TOCK! TOCK! The little prisoner was pecking inside his shell… 

<<<<<<<<<  

For a brief time he stood by the doorway delighting in her beauty. He loved her so much and was thankful for the opportunity to reclaim their love. 

 

He crept up behind her, whispering. “Making plans for your new room?”

 

“My love.” she spun around, greeting him with a sweet kiss. “How was your day?”

 

“Normal flow of patients with the added sympathizers...,” he boasted.

 

“Humph surely you most have enjoyed the attention. I hope you didn’t take advantage.”

 

He wanted to take advantage…of her. “But I missed this more…” He pulled her into a lingering kiss that left her breathless. “Now I’m at my happiest. What plans do you have for this room?”

 

“I-I…not much… It’s merely a bedroom after all.”

 

“And you won’t be necessarily sleeping in this bed.”

 

“Oh I see,” her eyes flirted. “So my evenings will be spent wrapped up in your arms.” Her arms encircled his neck.

 

“So will your early mornings…”

 

“Hmmm…”  kiss  “…sounds wonderful. I hope you haven’t forgotten how early my mornings are.”

 

“You could at least grant me another hour before hastening away.”

 

“Certainly…”

  

“Dr. Campbell, your bath is ready.”  They heard Amos announce from outside the doorway.

 

“Perfect timing...”

 

“See you at dinner,” she teased.

 

He held her waist. “Where are you going?”

 

“To do as you’ve instructed – take care of our son.”

 

“Joshua is in very capable hands. My love I’m in desperate need of your attention.” His eyes pleaded.

 

“We’re going to be late for dinner,” she warned.

 

“Dinner can wait but I can’t…,” he whispered, kissing her.

 <<<<<<<<<  

After an exhilarating high courtesy of Jonathan’s expert stimulation… she edged forward. Why? Because he told her to do so – time to satisfy his own yearning to be inside her.

 

She closed her eyes; her love center pulsating with anticipation. She sucked hard on her swollen lips.

The heightened sound of dripping water signaled his approach. His hands slowly glided up her thighs then squeezed her tight derriere. 

“I adore you…,” he said as his tongue traced up her spine. He penetrated.

 

“Ohhh…” Her countenance glowed – ecstatic that her center easily accommodated his size this time around. “Oh my love...,” she exhaled.

 

At first he was very deliberate, listening to her moans of pleasure, fondling her breasts…becoming lost in the moment.

 

“Please… I need more of you,” her lips quivered.

 

“Your wish is my command.”

 

He lifted his body thrusting deeper into her tender folds. “Yes my love…” With her body being pulled up and down his shaft her fingers clung to the sides of the tub.

 

Gratifying shrieks of pleasure echoed through the room. She fell back against his chest – both breathing heavily.

 

The dinner bell sounded.

 

“Do you hear that sound?”

 

“What sound?” He asked, gently kissing her. He wasn’t quite ready to let her go.

 

<<<<<<<<<  

45 minutes later they strolled through the dining room doors arm in arm.

 

Their conversation at dinner was dominated by Celia’s recollection of her full day with Joshua especially when she couldn’t prevent him from jumping into that muddy puddle.

 

“He was muddied from his head to his feet. Then he stood staring at my horrified face…laughing. And you know what your son did?”

 

“Now he’s my son. What did he do?” The whole scene cracked him up.

 

“He ran and there I was chasing after him around and around the garden. Finally he stopped. He actually felt sorry for his poor mother who couldn’t catch him,” she chuckled.

 

Jonathan almost choked on his wine. “That’s my son.”

 

“Sometimes he changes his demeanor. I believe part of him misses playing with his cousins but knowing my sister…”

 

“That sister of yours …,” expressing bitterness... He could only imagine what Celia had to endure on a daily basis.

 

Suddenly they heard Joshua’s loud cries coming from just outside the room. A flustered Beatrice burst into the room. He wiggled free from her arms, running to his mother.

 

“Mama…mama…,” he cried. She lifted him to her shoulder.

 

“He kept on crying and wouldn’t stop Ms. Celia…”

 

“There, there,” she said, patting his back. He managed to quiet down. “I have him now…Thank you Ms. Beatrice. Everything’s alright. You may go.”

 

“Thank you Ms. Celia. Good evening everyone.”

 

“Good evening Ms. Beatrice.”

 <<<  

“There go my plans for this evening,” Jonathan chuckled.

 

“Naughty Dr. Campbell. I guess I’ll be sleeping in my room…”

 

He lifted an eyebrow. “Not a chance…I don’t mind sharing you with our son,” he smiled.

 <<<<<<<<<  

In a tiny bedroom behind the captain’s quarters Joseph and Miriam found a place where they could meet whenever they had the time to do so. Tonight she was apprehensive about returning to the Bay. It had only been a few days since they’ve been together maybe he would want to rekindle what had been lost with his wife.

 

He was lying on his stomach while she stroked along his back.

 

“What you doing when you get home?”

 

“Hug my wife and play with my son,” he said plainly. She turned away, now resting on her back. “What will you do?”

 

“Stay on the ship. No sense going home – nothing there for me. Good time to give the rooms a proper cleaning,” she sighed.

 

“What do you do with the money you earn?”

 

“Save it up for my old age…if I get there.”`

 

Joseph lifted his head and stared at her. “I hate when you talk like you have no future for yourself.”

 

“Look at my future Joseph. I have no real husband – no children.”

 

“A beautiful woman like you…” He caressed her face.

 

“Beauty lasts for a little while Joseph. A good man always looks beyond a pretty face. When your body gets old and tired you know he’ll stay.”

Miriam’s words always had a way of tugging on his heart strings. He was able to speak to her unlike any other woman that had been in his life. He felt compelled to protect her and be there for her. Could he be falling in love for the second time? 

<<<<<<<<<  

 user posted image

 

On the deck Andrew stood watching the cloud of cigarette smoke floating above him. He flicked a bit of ash over the side and took another draw; the cigarette glowed between his fingers. Cigarette He was a man accustomed to fine cigars but circumstances do change. A full moon and the dark sea were better company than any man.

 

He never dreamed of returning to the Bay at this time. That spineless son of his suddenly grew a backbone and betrayed him when he married that silly girl Amy. He had positioned himself to be welcomed into James Brodie’s circle of affluent associates. Now there was an opportunity to amass wealth, respect and make political gains. Jonathan’s birth would have finally paid off but all he did was cause irreparable damage to his reputation.

 

“Bloody Hell!” He took a long puff before exhaling.

Wasn’t his son under his thumb? The only time he exhibited any sort of disobedience was when he was pining over that black sorceress Celia. He had to squash that little fling permanently. But sending him off to England might have been a huge error in judgment. Underestimating his love for the witch was another. His marriage is a farce – retribution against him for Celia’s dismissal. But how could he love such a thing that scrub the floors and emptied out the chamber pots? This was Ann’s fault for indulging the boy! 

His wife Ann was his polar opposite in many respects. She was sweet, charming and caring while he was withdrawn, selfish and did whatever was needed to hold on to his wealth. After three miscarriages she didn’t believe that she would be able to bear children. Ergo Jonathan became her miracle child.   

The finished cigarette was discarded. He took out a gold case from his breast pocket and retrieved another. He placed the unlit cigarette between his teeth.

 

Andrew was in trouble. Gambling debts had cost him much of his fortune and his health was failing. He needed finances for a new business venture. He would ask James Brodie but long ago the gentleman had washed his hands of him. The lone option was his wealthy, physician son. He hoped he didn’t come across Sara who thinks she’s smarter than everyone and wasn’t. She shared a part of the blame for not being graceful enough to capture his son’s interest. Charm and elegance wasn’t in a beast like her.

Friday morning the ship would reach the Bay’s port. A more humble Andrew Campbell had to disembark and approach his son. It was going to be difficult. Curse you Jonathan if you don’t assist me.

<<<<<<<<<  

He listened intently as she hummed an unfamiliar tune. All three were on his bed – Celia lying on her back with Joshua cradled in her arms, Jonathan snuggled beside them. Noticing that Joshua had fallen asleep, she placed him in the center of the bed.  

 

“What was that tune?” He asked, softly. “I enjoyed it very much.”

 

“My mother has always hummed that tune to us before we went to sleep”

 

He recalled the strain on her mother’s face when Celia made her decision.

 

“I hope that your relationship with her hasn’t changed greatly because of us.”

 

“I don’t know Jonathan but it doesn’t matter. I love my mother but she cannot live my life. I am where I want to be.”

 

He took a moment, leaning his head against the palm of his hand, lovingly stroking the side of her face. “Never did I imagine that you’ll be here next to me…gifting me a son that I’ve always wanted. The feeling that I have for you is very hard to explain…”

 

She kissed him and said, “You don’t have to say anymore because I feel it too.”

 

They settled down on the bed and fell asleep.

 <<<<<<<<<   

Thursday… 

“Where’s my solicitor?” Amy shouted from her small cell.

 

Filthy by anyone’s standards – maybe the nightly crawlers and the ever present putrid scent emanating from the walls had something to do with it. She could barely sleep or eat in these horrid conditions. Slowly she was wasting away. She wished Jonathan could see how she was and show some pity.

 

“Inspector Davies, where is my appointed solicitor?”

 

“How could you afford one given your circumstance?”

 

“Sara!” Amy gave her the most evil stare. “You shouldn’t be in here!”

 

She took pleasure in seeing Amy behind the iron bars. “I can come and go as I please.” She placed a scented handkerchief to her nose. “How can you endure this place?”

 

“Thanks to you I must!” She wasn’t going to show her misery.

 

“Oh my things have changed for the Bay’s most prized dinner guest. You’re wasting away; your skin is ghastly and your hair is unsightly. Where are your many admirers? They must have run away from your appearance.”

 

“Shut Up Sara!” She stood just outside of her grasp.

 

“You’re the one that wanted my assistance failing to realize that I only assist myself. I would never help someone of your ilk. Sending your friend Clara was poor judgment. I saw right through that silly plan and here you are…thanks to me,” she gloated.

 

Amy found her easy tone despicable. “Get Out of Here! You may have won the battle against me but you’ve lost the war!”

 

“Have no idea what you’re talking about…”

 

“Don’t pretend that you don’t understand to whom I’m referring. Sitting here I’ve figured out some of this sorry tale. Jonathan met Celia long before anyone of us and fell madly in love but you took that love away from him. That’s why he is so repulsed by the mere mention of your name. I could never have him but neither can you. All your plotting is for naught!” She started laughing.

 

Sara kept a cool mind. “Imagine going off on your husband and losing your mind in the process!”

 

“Imagine losing a man that you desperately want to a black housemaid! Does Mr. Lewis know that you’re tormenting the wife of your ex-lover? Does he know that you want to replace him in the marital bed?”

 

“Shut Up Amy!” Sara yelled, losing her bearings. “Enjoy your miserable existence behind prison walls for the rest of your days!”

A small victory watching the rat retreating with the tail between her legs back to her hole…but it was short-lived. She hung her head in sorrow. Prison was all that she had feared. I should have accepted that it was over between us. What have I done to myself?