Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


A bright morning with a cool northwesterly wind blowing in from the river...

"Look at the smile on your handsome face."

"Glad to know you still consider me to be handsome," he quipped.

He twirled the uneaten scrambled eggs on his plate while Annabelle cleared the remaining breakfast plates.

"Amazing when someone is whole again...the outside world seems conquerable," he mused.

"Where has that special lady disappeared to on this fine morning?"

"Early shopping with Joshua, Ms. Beatrice and Amos...A new entourage has been created."

"My how things change quickly in a fortnight...," Annabelle replied sarcastically.

"Wouldn't you want to be around a kinder mistress? Ms. Beatrice seems to have taken on the role of Joshua's nursemaid." He needed to employ a new housemaid. "I'm sure our family will expand and there'll be adequate work for her to do." Annabelle took note of the twinkle in his eyes.

"Certainly... For once everything is carefree in your life. It couldn't have happened to a finer gentleman. Your mother would be so proud of the man that you've become."

His countenance changed. "Everyday I think about her and wonder why she was ever attracted to my father."

"In his day your father was a very handsome man and given his wealth your grandparents approved of the courtship. Women sometimes believe that they can smooth out the edges of a complicated man," she sighed, "By the time she realized that he couldn't and wouldn't change she was hopelessly in love." She clasped the sides of his face. "But something good did emerge from the union."

Jonathan lowered his gaze. "My father may pay us a visit at any moment."

"Oh," she replied softly, "Is Celia aware of this impending visit?" she asked softly, wiping down the table. Mr. Campbell had a way of trampling over Jonathan's happiest moments. It was hard for her to believe that he could really be free of Andrew's meddlesome tendencies.

"Celia is aware and if need be we'll stand against him together. I won't allow my father to effect our lives as he once did." He stood and the chair screeched against the floor. "Excuse me Mrs. Annabelle."

Her gaze followed him as he exited the room. He defied Andrew's wishes once when he married Amy. For the sake of his family would he do it again?

<<<<<<<<< 

She detested that Amy's callous words had affected her mood. Amy was the one who was locked away and yet she was experiencing her own hell. Jonathan chose Celia not her; Jonathan chose and married Amy not her. And then her greatest fear had become a reality - Celia was back in his arms.

Barely acknowledging polite greeters she walked slowly by the collection of merchant stores dotted along her path. She paused at the window of the newly opened dress shop eyes chancing upon a disturbing scene - Celia and Beatrice glancing at dresses...selecting fabrics. Who was that little boy in Celia's arms? She didn't know Beatrice to have a child. Wait that little boy bears a resemblance to...Could it possibly be? She shook her head in disbelief with her pulse elevated. She felt lightheaded - the thought of Celia bearing his son...tainting the Campbell's bloodline. The truth was he was lost to her forever.

At that same moment her husband pulled up in his carriage.

"Sara!"

His tone dragged her back to reality. "Gregory?"

"Why aren't you at the store?" he asked unhappily.

"I-I-I had an important errand to take care of."

"An important errand indeed..." His tone sarcastic. "Get into the carriage!" She flinched. "You and I need to have a very important discussion."

<<<<<<<<< 

The morning was fairly busy and he rescheduled some appointments to the afternoon hours. His mind needed to take a breather. The drawing room's ambience provided it.

Henderson knocked and entered the room.

"Dr. Campbell I know you said no visitors but Ms. Clara would like to see you urgently."

"Let her come in." He stood to receive his visitor.

A sympathetic Clara entered the room offering sincere words. "Jonathan I've heard what has occurred with you and Amy. Forgive me for not grasping the extent of her madness. The last time I was here she practically threw me out of the residence. Very odd behavior but I never suspected that she would attack you in such a ruthless manner."

"Well it's all behind me and I'm getting on with my life."

"Eventually one must move on," she agreed.

"Clara, please take a seat." He motioned to her to sit down.

"Thank you but no. I've also stopped by for the remainder of my things."

"About that...I must inform you that Amy had your things destroyed," he sighed.

"What?! She destroyed all my things?" She asked in disbelief.

"I offer my sincere apologies for what she has done. I'll reimburse you..."

"I don't want your money Jonathan." She turned around. "Take care," she said before walking out the door. Her alliance with Amy had cost her dearly. In the future she needed to choose her friends carefully.

<<<<<<<<< 

Dinner was a marvelous feast and they sat on the verandah before retiring to bed.

"Close your eyes," he whispered by her ear.

"What is it?" she asked, excitedly.

"A small surprise..."

"Then show it to me."

"Ms. Celia has such impatience," he chuckled, "Here..." He laid his head on her right shoulder and waited for her reaction.

She unwrapped the package and discovered a framed portrait but not what she had expected. It wasn't of her sleeping in the bed at the Infirmary. It was of her and Joshua gathering spring flowers in the garden. The detailed design combined with the perfect blend of colors impressed her. In many ways he was a very talented man. On the top side were the words Ever Thine.

"It's-It's...so beautiful." She choked back the tears.

"Other than our son it's one of the greatest gifts that someone has ever given me."

"You and Joshua have made me the happiest man in the world. I love you both very much."

"And we love you too," she kissed him.

<<<<<<<<< 

With Joshua contentedly asleep in his room and Beatrice attending to him, they were able to share an intimate evening.

After experiencing pleasurable highs she remained stretched out on top of him tracing a finger along his face while he moved his hands up and down her back.

"What's wrong my love?" He had suddenly become quiet.

"How can anything be wrong when you're here in my arms?"

"The look on your face tells me otherwise." He hesitated to tell her about his fear. "Admit that you're scared that we may be torn apart again," she said in a subdued tone.

"The thought has crossed my mind. I can't help it. Many things may occur between now and Joseph's return and after..."

"I have that same fear but I also have faith that this time our love is strong enough to see us through. Say that you believe it too."

They embraced. "I believe it too." And shared a passionate kiss...

<<<<<<<<< 

Friday...

Joseph felt strange walking home. Earlier he had been called to the office to collect the balance of his salary.

"Didn't my wife come for this part of my salary?"

"No one came for it Joseph."

That response brought uneasiness. Why hadn't Celia gone for the money? Did something terrible happen? He hoped not and found that he was trotting home to get an explanation.

A few minutes later he arrived and nothing seemed out of the ordinary. He heard voices in the backyard - his niece and nephew at play - Annabelle and Sonia probably in the outside kitchen.

"Joseph is that you?" Annabelle asked surprised coming inside. "Celia told me three weeks..."

"A storm caused us to change course so here I am a week early."

"You look tired...want something to drink."

"A glass of water please." It seemed that he hadn't heard the crushing news as yet and she didn't want to be the person to tell him either. "Nothing wrong with Celia?"

Annabelle felt her body turn numb. "Why?" She asked staring at the floor.

"She never collect my pay. Is everything alright? Where Joshua"

"Nothing alright Joseph."

"I don't understand."

His eyes begged for clarification but she didn't know where to start or how to say that Celia and Joshua were gone.

"Mama..." Lydia and the children followed inside. Her eyes veered to the figure sitting in the settee. "Joseph..."

The children went rushing into their Uncle's arms asking him all sorts of questions - Did he like it at sea? What places did he visit? What people did he meet? And of course what did he bring? He brought them gifts. A doll made out of cloth and straw for Esther and two wooden soldiers for Steven.

"Thank you Uncle Joseph," they responded eager to play with their new toys.

"You will take care of them."

"We will," they promised.

"Now go to your rooms and play," Lydia instructed.

"But mama we want to stay with Uncle Joseph," Steven insisted but his sister stayed quiet.

"Your Uncle and I have things to talk about. Go On!" she yelled angrily. The children quickly obeyed and Annabelle left for the kitchen.

"You look serious Lydia. What's wrong?"

"Celia and Joshua gone."

He slowly stood. "What do you mean by Celia and Joshua gone?" he asked fearful.

"Dr. Jonathan Campbell came for them."

"Jonathan Campbell?" He searched his mind for answers.

 

"It not right to marry you Joseph."

"I can take care of you and the baby."

"I must tell you the truth. I love another man and he is the father of this baby."

"Who is he Celia?" he demanded. "Tell me!" How could she still be in love with a man who deserted her and thier child? What sort of man was he?

"An English Bayman named Jonathan Campbell." She spoke his name so reverently.

 

"JONATHAN CAMPBELL!" he raged but part of him found her words impossible to believe. "You wrong Lydia."

"I wrong," she said miffed, folding her arms. "It happened right here in this room two days ago. I tried to stop her but she wanted to go with him. "

"Dr. Campbell married!"

"Not anymore. It was easy for Celia to go to him and forget about her life with you."

"NO!" he banged his fists into the table breaking it in half. "That bastard stole my family away. I've got to get them back."

"Joseph she won't come back. You need to move on with your life. She has made it clear that she doesn't want you."

"If I was here she wouldn't have left!"

"I can't believe that you still want to be with her!"

"I don't expect you understand my reasons," he said then ran out of the house.

<<<<<<<<< 

"The dress patterns are coming along very nicely. We'll be finished sooner than I had imagined." She realized how much she had missed being a seamstress.

"Unless Joshua interferes," Beatrice smiled.

"Joshua..." He was picking up the strips of cloth and spinning them around. "I'll take him downstairs for a short while. Maybe he will like to spend some time with his father."

Working with Celia was turning out to be a pleasant surprise. Beatrice never imagined that she could see her as the mistress of the house. But Dr. Campbell loved her and his son very much and when they were together she saw the joy on his face. A good man like Jonathan deserves to be loved.   

<<<<<<<<< 

How he had reached Dr. Campbell's residence so quickly was a blur but there he was standing at the front door knocking. He could hear the sound of his heart pounding against his chest and his heavy breathing.

"Good day sir may I help you."

"I've come for my wife and son," he said, clenching his fists.

"Your wife and son," Henderson repeated.

"Yes Celia and Joshua! Where are they?"

"Sir I must go and look for Ms. Celia."

"Let me past! Celia! Celia!"

Upon hearing the commotion Celia approached. "Mr. Henderson what's going on?"

"There's a gentleman who wants to see you. I believe it's your husband."

"Joseph here..." she said meekly.

Hadn't he told her that he would be at sea for three weeks? She had prepared for a meeting at a neutral place but plans never turn out the way you want them to.

"I'm here Celia and I want answers!"

Obviously they needed to speak. She swallowed the lump in her throat and said, "I'm ready to give them to you."

<<< 

"Why you do this to me Celia? Why?"

Joseph's body glistened with sweat and that sense of betrayal expressed itself on his countenance.

"I'm sorry Joseph," was all she could say. For a moment guilt paralyzed her.

"Why are you here? You look different." She was dressed nicely in a blue printed dress - braided hair pinned at the back of her neck. She looked amazing. She looked very happy. "I know he can give you nice things..."

"This is not about nice things Joseph. I know these words are going to hurt you but...I love him."

Those words crushed him. "I'm still your husband and you are coming home with me! Where's Joshua?!"

 

"GET OUT OF MY HOUSE! LEAVE CELIA ALONE! ...came Jonathan's angry words from behind them. Henderson had left to inform him about Joseph's arrival.

"Celia is my wife and Joshua is my son! They are my family!"

Stepping forward both men leered at one another momentarily controlling the urge to pounce.

"Celia has made her decision. She and my son are staying here with me!"

"Because you stole her away when I was at sea...What kind of man does that to another man!"

Their faces expressed deep resentment; flared nostrils, heavy breathing. The argument was threatening to escalate into aggression as they moved closer to each other. Celia stepped between them.

"There will be no violence in a house where my son is," she said in a harsh tone which calmed them a little.

 

"Celia we need to talk," Joseph said quickly, glaring at him.

Jonathan took her aside. "My love you shouldn't speak with him," he said stroking her arm.

"Jonathan I need to speak with Joseph privately."

"The way he's behaving I don't want to leave you alone with him," he countered.

"Please for my sake," she beseeched him.

He mulled over her request then replied, "For your sake but if he tries to harm you any way he's breathed his last. Don't give him cause to believe that there is anything remaining between the two of you. Tell him the truth."

She gazed deeply into his eyes, nodding. He touched her cheek then his lips moved to gentle kiss her. Joseph turned away disgusted. How could he have discounted the longevity of their emotional bond? Why didn't she tell him about going to work for Dr. Campbell?

<<< 

The sun was high and they found shade by the tea table and chairs - an excellent vantage point from which Jonathan could observe them from his window. Henderson had taken Joshua upstairs.

"Celia you lie to me," he said as they took their seats.

"Joseph this marriage was over a longtime ago." It only existed on a piece of paper but never in her heart.

"It wouldn't be over if you hadn't come and work for Dr. Campbell."

"Does it really matter? I've made up my mind. I want to be with him."

"So you throw it back at me - everything I've done for you and Joshua."

"Joseph I'll always be grateful," she said, touching his arm. He placed his hand over hers. Jonathan seethed. Tell him!

She didn't pull her hand away maybe a small chance of them reuniting. "Everyone make mistakes. We can forgive each other and get things working again."

Celia pulled her hand away. "It's too late. I want to be with Jonathan," she stressed again.

"So he free and because I'm away you want to be free with him."

"Let me go Joseph," she persisted.

"No," he responded defiant, twisting his fingers.

"You're doing this out of spite. Jonathan could easily have this marriage ended."

"Then let him do it!" he replied angrily, "But I'm never bowing down." He stared straightforward and asked, "Are you coming home?"

"No...and if you ask me again the answer will still be no."

"Then consider this our last meeting. Don't come crying to me when he breaks your heart again because I won't be around."

"What about Joshua?" she asked quietly. "He is still your son. You are still his father."

"When you chose to go with that man you took his love away from me. I've lost my son and my wife." He stood. "When I leave the Bay I won't be coming back."

"Don't do this to Joshua." She grabbed his arm.

"You did it to me! I'm not his father."

"You are a father to him in so many ways! I won't take him away from you!"

"But you have taken him away!" he cried, "Soon he'll forget as you have but I never will."

He removed the wooden soldier from his pocket, throwing it hard against the ground and walked away. He left with a heavy heart. It hurt to give up on a little boy that called him papa but he couldn't deal with this situation any further.

She was left stunned but there were no tears to be shed. "Take care of yourself Joseph."

<<< 

She stooped down to pick up the broken pieces of the toy soldier. Leaving Joseph had cost Joshua a father but she loved Jonathan too much to remain in a loveless marriage. She reasoned that it was pride that made Joseph come after her - not love.

She felt a gentle hand squeeze her shoulder. "It's going to be alright."

"He doesn't want to end the marriage," she whispered.

"It will be taken care of."

"And he's ended his role as Joshua's father. May I please have a moment alone?"

"Certainly..."

<<<<<<<<< 

Time dragged on but Jonathan wasn't apprehensive about her lingering in the garden. What concerned him most was her unwillingness to speak to him. After what his father had done to her she must have grown accustomed to internalizing her emotions he surmised.

The more he thought about it the more he didn't want her to be alone. He went out to search for her but found that she had disappeared from the garden. Immediately he went upstairs where Joshua was taking his afternoon nap with Beatrice sewing nearby.

"Sorry to bother you Ms. Beatrice but have you seen Celia?"

"Not since the last time she was upstairs."

Where could she be? He searched his bedroom and hers but still no sign of her anywhere. He bounded down the stairs unsure of where he should next look for her.

"Henderson, have you seen Celia?"

"A short while ago. She informed me that she was going for a walk to clear her mind."

She left without saying a word. "How long ago was this?" He asked perturbed, fingers massaging his temple.

"I would say about half and hour. Is there something wrong Dr. Campbell?"

"There isn't anything wrong," he lied because he felt something was wrong. "All the same I'm going to look for her."

"Very good sir. I'm sure she went for a stroll in the park."

"Then that's where I'll go."

<<< 

He had scarcely reached the iron gates when a black carriage came to a halt at its front. Didn't they read the sign stating that there will be no more appointments today? But he understood that some in the societal sphere could care less about such signs denying them a service. He kept a keen eye on the carriage's door blocked momentarily by the eager driver opening it. An elderly gentleman stepped out with hat and cane.

Jonathan's mouth went dry when he saw the gentleman's face. "Father," came a muted tone.

"Good day to you my boy," he replied, tipping his hat. "You look very pale. Are you surprised to see me?"

He quickly said, "I'm far from being surprised. I've been expecting your visit."

It was a surprise when he extended a hand in greeting and gave him a hug - bizarre.

"I've missed you very much." Jonathan was astounded. "Let's go inside. We have many things to discuss."

The two strolled to the front door. Now he was grateful that Celia wasn't around.

"How long will you be staying?"

"It all depends," he replied then scrutinized his face. "I've heard of the unfortunate incident with your wife..."

"Could we not go into this father?" he asked, raising his voice.

"Is it wrong for me to be concerned about my son's well being?"

Where was this concern throughout the years? "Glad to know that you're concerned," he muttered.

He was perplexed by his father's improved behavior towards him. He decided to play along until his true intentions were revealed.

Henderson opened the door and allowed them inside.

"Good day Henderson."

"A very good day to you Mr. Campbell," he greeted, accepting his hat and cane.

"How has my son been treating you?"

"Very well sir."

Jonathan escorted him to the drawing room where Henderson poured them each a glass of scotch whiskey. He remained standing while his father took a seat in the chair opposite him. There was an underlying tension between them that wasn't ready to show itself.

"Prosperity seems to have come your way fairly easily without my guidance."

"A man must learn to stand on his own two feet." He sipped his drink.

"Do you have a cigar?"

"No I don't smoke."

He watched his father take out his gold case and light a cigarette - his hands shaky. The man sitting in his chair was a mere shadow of the monster he remembered. The giant that once towered over his every decision looked frail...tired and his face was marked by hidden burdens. He wanted something.

Henderson assisted with an ashtray.

"What do you want from me?" he asked deliberately. "Your supposed concern about me is much too late," he growled.

"I don't like your tone. Has my words been spoken with any malice?"

"Do you believe that I can easily forget how you treated me when I was younger? How you took away the love of my life?!"

"Here we go again." He blew out a breath, setting aside his cigarette. "If I had allowed you to continue that unwholesome affair you wouldn't be where you are now!"

Scoundrel! But his tone settled. "Should I thank you for creating this wonderful life?"

"Yes," he responded plainly. The whiskey tasted first-rate more to his fancy.

"Certainly I should be grateful especially now that things have drastically changed for the better in my life," he announced.

"I was correct in telling you that Amy wasn't the right woman."

"In that regard I should have heeded your advice but you do understand that sometimes one acts presumptuous when they are young." He peeked into his glass and swirled the dark liquid.

"You were young and foolish. Marrying Sara Brodie would have been the appropriate choice. Your stupidity cost us both in the end."

Jonathan blinked. It seemed like the real Andrew Campbell was finally making an appearance.

<<<<<<<<< 

At that moment Celia returned. Amos opened the door for her. The walk had been good but she knew that Jonathan would probably be upset that she was long in coming.

"Dr. Campbell was looking for you," Amos revealed.

"Where is he now?" She removed her bonnet.

"In the drawing room with an elderly gentleman whom Henderson referred to as Mr. Campbell..."

Andrew Campbell! The pace of her heartbeat quickened. He must have arrived on the same ship as Joseph. Events at this house occurred one after the other without much breathing room. She closed her eyes and took two deep breaths.

"Is everything alright Ms. Celia?"

"It has to be," she said absentmindedly. 

Time to face one of your greatest fears...Old Bastard!

<<< 

"Father I know why you're here?"

"Why am I here?" he asked, shifting in his seat.

"Because you need money - you've always thought highly of your gambling prowess." His mouth twisted into a scowl. "Now you need a savior."

"It sounds like you don't want to help your father." He swallowed his drink, taking a puff.

"If it weren't for mother's dying wish I wouldn't have allowed you to enter my residence." Andrew stared at him and he saw the resentment in his eyes. How dare he say such things to his father. Those deep underlying emotions were creeping to the surface. "How many times did I want your approval? For you to be proud of me! But I've always been your disappointment haven't I father?!"

"When you've behaved like a sniveling little boy ...going on and on about that black whore!"

Jonathan lashed out, striking him squarely in the jaw. His head snapped to one side.

"Don't ever call Celia by that horrible name again or else!" His eyes blazed with fury.

"Go ahead, continue to beat on an old man," were the words she heard as she stepped into the room. "Your own father!"

"When have you ever been a father to me?!"

Jonathan's fingers were tightly gripping the lapels of his shirt as blood trickled down the side of his father's mouth.

"Dr. Campbell! Dr. Campbell" She heard Henderson yelling but Jonathan's mind was elsewhere - lost in the sea of bitter memories.

She had to act or she may never experience a love that was always elusive. He may end up in prison or worse. The built up rage threatened to take it all away.

"Jonathan, my love...it's not worth it," she said calmly.

Celia...

"My love you are a far better man than he has ever been. Don't do this."

Hearing her voice prompted him to relax his grip, taking a step back. His anger was dissipating and his breathing was returning to normal. He felt a sharp pain in his knuckles and flexed his fingers.

"Celia..." She rushed to his side and he found comfort in her arms.

"Oh my love..." She tenderly wiped the sweat from his brow.

"I love you so much. Thank you," he whispered gently kissing her.

What's this? Andrew struggled to regain a comfortable position in the chair. The disconcerting scene of his son canoodling with the black witch was being played out in front of his eyes.

"This is IMMORAL!" he shouted. He took out his handkerchief dabbing his injured lip.

"For once in your miserable life, remain quiet."

"How dare you speak to me in that manner?! You seemed to forget your position," he fumed.

"Her place is by my side." For a moment Andrew was speechless. "You thought that you had torn us apart forever but we've found each other again. This time I'll never let her go."

"If you continue on with this abhorrent relationship I'll ruin your reputation," he warned.

Paper Tiger... He got into his father's face. "Do you think I don't know your dark secrets? And why it was so necessary for you to leave the Bay quickly? Your former associates will be dying to hear tales of your widespread deceit."

"There is no such evidence," he stated emphatically, rising.

"Then how would I know if I hadn't seen the documents with my own two eyes."

"Breaking a promise that you made to your dying mother!"

"Haven't you already broken your own promise?! It's time for me to fulfill a promise to the woman I love and our son."

"Son?" Did he hear correctly?

It was Celia's turn to speak. "The day you sent me away I was carrying Jonathan's child. Although you sought to ruin my life with God's help we have managed survived. And he has led us back to my true love." 

"And my life is complete," he responded, kissing her again. Andrew cursed. "Henderson, escort him off my property."

"Damn the both of you to hell! Henderson I'll find my own way!"

They embraced.

"Finally I'm free," he breathed. "You and Joshua are my only family. I'll do my utmost to make you both happy."

<<<<<<<<< 

Three weeks later...

During the past weeks they had spent a great deal of time reflecting on their past and sharing plans for the future. Her sister Hortense had joined the staff as the new housemaid. For now Jonathan would hold off on joining the Infirmary staff permanently - too much time would be spent away from their family.

Needless to say she hadn't seen Joseph again. Joshua began referring to Jonathan as "papa". The first time he heard him say it he cried and embraced him tightly saying, "I am your papa."

Her relationship with Lydia had steadily improved. Last Sunday she and Joshua went by to see her mother and they managed to have a polite conversation. With Joseph gone it was better to rebuild a sisterly relationship.

<<< 

They were spending a quiet evening in the drawing room - Celia wrapped in his arms, sitting on his lap. After all this time it felt wonderful being in his arms- her arms.

"Wipe that smile off your face."

"Why?"

"Because you know what I'm about to tell you."

He kissed her sweet lips. "My love I want to hear you say it."

"We're going to have a baby," she smiled.

"Obviously..."

She smacked him playfully against his cheek. Being a physician he must have noticed the changes during those intimate moments, she smiled wickedly.

"I'm looking forward to meeting your friends tomorrow evening."

Ben pointed out that he was being too protective of his dark beauty and they were anxious to meet the woman who had taken his heart. He agreed and spoke with her about it. She didn't mind knowing that Jonathan wouldn't be acquainted with persons who would be against their union.

"You are sure to impress them my love."

Suddenly he retrieved a ring from his breast pocket - a gold ring set with Diamond, Emerald, Agate and Ruby stones. It spelt out the word Dear.

"What's this?" She asked as he placed it on the ring finger of her left hand.

"There's no need for us to stand before a parson in a church...God knows that you are my wife and I am your husband."

"Forever and always...," she ended, kissing him passionately.

Celia and Jonathan 

 I want to thank all those readers and of course those who left reviews for reading!