Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The morning was progressing along fairly well. Amy and her two personal servants had left the residence while Jonathan was attending to patients in his surgery located next to the study. Annabelle and Sonia were working hard in the kitchen. Celia was busily cleaning Jonathan’s bedroom although access to Amy’s bedroom was strictly prohibited which was fine. It was a better thing not to be accused by Mrs. Campbell of trying on her dresses or pilfering her beauty accessories.

<<<<<<<<<  

At first she viewed his bedroom as ordinary…a place where her employer spent his sleeping hours…truly nothing of any consequence. She ran her hands along the bed’s length carefully affixing the sheets, fluffing the pillows but then her mind strayed. This is the spot where he lays his head and dreams. Did he ever dream about her and their precious time spent together so long ago?

 

“Stop it Celia. You’re a married woman,” she berated herself.

  

“I’m sorry I didn’t expect you to be working in here already. I…I…forgot my bag,” he said a bit nervous walking past her.

 

Celia was startled by his appearance and stood up unmoving as if she had been caught committing a wrongful act.

 

“Is the work proceeding well? It’s not too much I hope. I usually keep a proper room.” His back was turned as he spoke searching his closet for the misplaced bag. “Here it is. Celia?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 

“You haven’t responded to my statement.”

 

Indeed… she felt a heat flush her cheeks – she hadn’t heard the question. “I’m sorry sir.”

 

Seeing her embarrass demeanor he said, “It’s not that important. So far the room looks fine. I’ll take my leave.”

 

She noticed something odd on his person – his cravat tie was becoming undone but servants were taught to never offer an opinion to an employer. She resolved that it wasn’t an opinion but an observation.

 

“Dr. Campbell your cravat needs to be retied.”

 

“Oh…” He tried his best but he was having trouble doing so. Either his palms were moist or he was nervous being around her. “It’s hopeless. Celia, could you please offer some assistance.”

 

“Yes sir.” She easily performed the task and became comfortable standing in front of him. “There…it looks much better.”

 

“I usually have Mr. Henderson take care of me personally,” he smiled.

 

“Well Mr. Henderson isn’t here at the moment…I am…”

 

The words came out of her mouth too casual and the room once more became quiet. Their dark brown eyes locked into a deep stare for what seemed like a lifetime. All that had passed between them almost culminating into…no it wasn’t real Celia moved away.

 

“I…I have a patient…waiting. Celia, have a good day.” He remembered he had said some of those same words earlier.

 

“Have a good day too… sir,” she bowed.

 

He left hastily and she stood still feeling very fragile. A moment spent with him brought too many emotions to the surface. So far she had been able to keep them restrained but they would speak again.

Remember that you have a man that loves you and is out at sea trying to make a life for his family.    

The Jonathan she had known was a ghost that dwelled within her subconscious. It was better to detach herself from such reminiscences. It ultimately served no purpose.

 

For a moment he was unable to continue his walk down the stairs.

 

“How could she not know?”

Because she can’t know…life has changed in so many ways… 

<<<<<<<<< 

Noon…

  

Amy came tramping through the hallway with her personal maid, Ms. Beatrice, a transplant from her native England. Her arms filled with boxes from Amy’s earlier purchases.

 

“Beatrice, take those upstairs,” she said removing her gloves and bonnet, “when James returns with my water go ahead and prepare my bath.”  James’ actual name was Amos. He was the Campbells’ footman.

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

She made her long stroll to the kitchen whereupon her arrival she offered no greeting. Celia and Sonia turned to face the wall while Annabelle stood by her station.

 

“Annabelle, what are we having for lunch today?”

 

“Dr. Campbell requested homemade soup and fresh bread.”

 

“It doesn’t sound very appealing. Jonathan must realize that soup is not eaten the same day that it is made,” she said annoyed, “Prepare me a sandwich and salad.”

 

“As you wish Mrs. Campbell...,” Annabelle said with a firm nod of her head. She would also have to fetch a bottle of champagne from Jonathan’s private stock. Amos would return for her tray.    

 

“You can turn around now,” Amy said to Celia and Sonia. “The two new servants that my husband has hired...”

 

“Yes ma’am,” they both responded.

 

“He did inform me that he was taking on two additional servants. I really am unable to understand why. Come forward and let me take a look at you.”

“What are your names?”

 

“Celia…” “Sonia…” Last names were of little importance.

 

She examined them carefully making sure that they were properly attired, hair securely tucked away under their scarves – not wanting to see a stray wavy strand appearing in her food. Special attention was paid to Celia who seemed young, plain and yet there was something about her.

 

“Are you married? Have a family?”  

 

“Yes ma’am…I have a husband and a son.” 

 

“Good enough…” Amy walked out without saying or asking anything else.

  

“Mrs. Campbell is something,” Sonia whispered to Celia.

 

Annabelle looked at Celia who stared back at her.

>>>>>>>>>  

“It’s a deep cut and it needs to be cleaned, disinfected and then bandaged.”

 

Mrs. Patrice Leary had come into his office very disconcerted about the cut on her arm. She was also guarded about the manner in which she had received the wound.

 

“The treatment sounds painful Dr. Campbell.” Her hazel eyes flickered with concern.

 

“I promise that you will feel a slight pain for only a moment.”

 

“Would you hold my hand?”

 

“Mrs. Leary I need both my hands. Don’t you trust me?” She loved when he used that low tone and stared at her with those eyes.

 

“I trust you…very much,” she whispered.

 

She watched as he worked and every now and then he would look up and give her a comforting smile.

 

“It is completed.”

 

“You’ve finished already.” She seemed surprised.

 

“I told you to trust me and you did.”

 

“You are such an amazing doctor.”

 

“Thank you very much Mrs. Leary.” He gave her a small bottle of laudanum for the pain and to help her sleep. “Follow my instructions carefully when taking this medicine.”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell. When shall I come again? To let you remove the bandage of course.”

 

“You may come next week Monday and I’ll see if your wound has healed. During this time I expect you to be on your guard and watch your steps.”

 

“I will Dr. Campbell. Thank you.”

 

She left leaving his payment concealed within a white envelope on the side of his desk. Upon opening the envelope he found that he was overpaid his services.

 

Many of his patients were female who paid him very handsomely and invited him to family dinners which he discreetly declined. Understanding his patients and having an innate charm kept his household functional especially his wife clothed in the latest fashions of the period. The occupation however became unfulfilling. He could say that his happiest moments as a doctor were spent volunteering at the infirmary. There he felt like he was actually helping others who wouldn’t normally be able to afford his care.

 

He heard a knock at the door where his servants were allowed to access.

 

“Come in.” It was Celia and she was the most glorious woman his eyes had seen for the day.

 

“Ms. Annabelle said to inform you that lunch is ready and if you would please come before the soup gets cold,” she said with eyes looking straight but not really at him.

 

“Yes…lunch…almost forgot…just finished with one of my patients. Are you preparing to clean my office at this moment?”

 

“While you are away at lunch I thought that it would be the perfect time to begin some cleaning but not all.”

 

“I believe you should do it later. I have important papers strewn across my desk and I don’t want you to misplace them mistakenly. Do you understand?” he asked as he arose.

 

“I do understand. I’ll go and clean the other rooms.”

 

There and then an idea popped in his mind. “Have you had your lunch as yet?” The question caught her by surprise and she quickly averted her eyes. “Come and join me.”

 

He didn’t just offer an invitation to lunch but before she could offer any objections he took her by the hand and started to lead her to the dining room. The feel of his hand touching hers made a strange sensation creep inside – it was its softness against her skin.

 

“Dr. Campbell, Mrs. …Mrs. …Campbell is here already.”

 

“Probably in her room eating the usual sandwich and salad...drinking away our best champagne…”

 

The curt inference revealed that all was not well in Jonathan’s marriage but she couldn’t think about it now.

 

“Yes but…”

 

“It certainly means that we won’t be bothered.” He turned and caressed her hand. “Celia you look very nervous but you shouldn’t be. Mr. Henderson will also be there to attend to my needs… if I don’t send him away first,” he said with a sly grin. She smiled uneasily as they continued onward.

 

Abruptly he let her hand go as they entered through the double doors. Henderson and Annabelle were awaiting his arrival. The mahogany table was set for one - a steaming bowl of soup sat at its center, a wicker basket filled with fresh bread by its side and a bottle of chilled white wine standing idly completed the display.

 

“Mrs. Annabelle, Celia will be joining me for lunch. Please prepare another place setting.”

 

“Certainly Dr. Campbell…” This development so soon was certainly a surprise but not unexpected given the history between them.

 

“Where would you like to be seated Celia?” He enquired.

 

“At…this end…of the table.” far away from you as possible

 

She silently prayed that Amy didn’t decide to change her mind and join her husband for lunch. Eyes pleaded with Annabelle to rescue her from this predicament but she was only offered a comforting smile before she left.

 

He pulled out her chair and she thought he drew closer as he allowed her to take her seat.

 

“Celia you seem tense,” he whispered by her ear.

 

“Why wouldn’t I be?”

 

A small laugh escaped his lips before going back to his chair. That laugh and the gleam that she saw in his eyes made her believe that he was playing some sort of cruel game.

 

Henderson ladled his soup and poured his wine.

 

Annabelle returned with a stray set for her. She was kind enough to dish out her fare.

 

“Thank you,” Celia said softly.

 

“Thank you Mrs. Annabelle. You and Henderson may leave. I’m sure Ms. Celia and I are able to handle ourselves,” he said barely removing his eyes away from her.

<<<<<<<<<  

Celia tried her best to eat but it was most uncomfortable – there was always the threat of his wife bursting through the dining room doors. Regardless of the consequences she had to speak her mind.

 

“Dr. Campbell it is not right that I’m eating around your table given my position.”

 

“Nonsense…besides you haven’t even touched your soup. It is very good. Go on and try it,” he said between sips.

 

“I must go!”

 

“You must stay! I’m ordering you to sit and eat your lunch.”

 

His stern voice got her attention. Bowing her head she sipped her soup and ate her bread neglecting the wine. The soup was delicious as he had said and the bread was very tasty. Jonathan didn’t utter another word but ate silently observing her behavior.

 

When she was finished she looked up and found him standing in front of her. He cupped the side of her face.

 

“Please…don’t…,” she implored.

 

“I have too much respect for you to do anything against your will.” He then kissed the edge of her nose and walked out of the room.

 

It was a relief that he was gone – the beating of her heart could return back to its normal pace. A throbbing sensation remained at the spot where he kissed her. She had to confront the fact that part of her wanted him to stay.

 

“You must remember who you are and not what has been lost to you,” she reminded herself. It had been a trying day filled with these reminders.

 

 

Celia stayed this way for the next few minutes – pondering. She was frightened when the doors opened again but it was merely Annabelle coming to clear the table.

 

“What an afternoon and it just your first day.”

 

“Why he doing this to me?”

 

“Child you no need to ask why.”

 

“If he no happy in his marriage that don’t mean that he should affect mine.”

 

“If your marriage strong then whatever he does won’t affect it…don’t you think so?”

 

“Ms. Annabelle, excuse me I need to go and clean the other rooms… I already behind. The food was delicious.”

 

“Thank you Celia.”

 

It wasn’t her place to offer up any real advice. Things would progress along in their due course.

 

“I pray for your sake Celia.”

>>>>>>>>>  

4:30 p.m. 

Celia was on her hands and knees scrubbing the last of the hallway – scrub, rinse, dry. She wiped away the sweat that had settled on her brow but compared to his father’s estate her duties here were far lighter. Thoughts of Joshua crept into her mind during these moments – wondering what he could be doing or if he was missing his mother as much as she was missing him.

 

It was time to clean Jonathan’s office and she took a moment to prepare herself. Soon she heard the heavy footsteps of Henderson walking towards her.

 

“Dr. Campbell isn’t here at the moment so you can proceed and clean his office. He requested that at 5:30 you carry up his water for bathing.”

 

“Yes Mr. Henderson.”

 

Jonathan wasn’t around… where could he possibly be at this time.

<<<<<<<<<  

The Club… 

“Didn’t expect that you would join me Jonathan,” Ben said clasping his arm.

 

“I promised I would come. Where are our good friends Addison and Thomas.”

 

“Definitely been avoiding us lately especially Addison but wherever he is I’m sure he is enjoying himself.”

 

He had already set up the table for a game of billiards and was puffing away at a cigar at the side of his mouth – a glass of brandy sat perched at the table’s edge. At that moment Jonathan preferred his glass of port wine. It was going to be a short stay due to the others absences.

 

Drake’s departure had drawn the two friends closer and they managed to be his main support especially through their letters.

 

“Have you heard from Drake lately?”

 

“A month ago…he seems very happy in his life.”

 

“Indeed he does. If you had an opportunity to change the course of your destiny would you take that chance?”  Jonathan asked sipping his wine. The question had been on his mind.

 

“It all depends on the consequences I suppose. Thinking about finally divorcing that wife of yours?” He started to play but missed the third ball. “Damn I’m never going to win this game if I play this horribly.”

 

“I’m not ready to be rid of her as yet. She serves a purpose,” he said taking the cue.

 

“I wonder what that purpose might be? – A good bed mate…ability to invoke sympathies from your many female clients. You should hear the many theories that abound regarding the state of your marriage.”

 

“And yet she is still invited to these many parties!” he exclaimed.

 

“Amy is many things one of which is a great guest at parties. Unlike her husband who chooses to stay away…”

 

“I choose to stay away because I must. I don’t want to be around those hypocrites staring at me or hanging on our every word to each other.”

 

“So what part of your destiny are you proposing to change?”

 

“Only a hypothetical my friend which you truly haven’t responded to...”

 

“Damn again…” Jonathan had only two balls remaining to win. “They always say that the quiet ones are the deadliest.”

 

“I would guess that you thought that I could easily be defeated.”

 

“You’ve made me believe so. I have never seen you play in this manner. You’ve kept your skill hidden well my friend remind me never to place a bet against you.” he sighed as the last ball went into the pocket. “Whatever it is that you are conceiving its best that you tread lightly hypothetical speaking...”

 

Tread lightly…“Thanks for the wise words. Ben you are such an easy mark. I hope you don’t place bets at the track or with any unfamiliar gentlemen.”

 

“Thanks for the wise words,” he responded sarcastically. Jonathan laughed. “Let’s play another. I’m sure my own skill has not deserted me…totally,” he smiled.

<<<<<<<<<  

Evening… 

When he returned they barely said a word to each other. He greeted her and asked if his bath was ready before retreating to his room. Amy and her servants came in a few minutes later and did the same. She continued in her duties…lighting the candles for each room and assisting Mr. Henderson in preparing the drawing room.

6:58 p.m. 

The workday was finally coming to an end. Celia withdrew to the quiet of the verandah waiting for Sonia to complete her kitchen duties. The day’s occurrences had left its impression but it was a job she desperately needed…tomorrow would be another day. A whiff of his cologne signaled that Jonathan was approaching.

 

“Celia my behavior this afternoon was uncalled-for. I hope I haven’t made you uncomfortable working here.”

 

“You haven’t and it was a terrific lunch. I’ve come to realize that there are some unresolved feelings between us but our lives have changed so much during these years apart. …Jonathan…we must accept those changes.”

She called me by my Christian name. 

It took a great deal of effort not to take her into his arms when she stood so near. She possessed such a sweet countenance that made him reflect on happier times.

 

“Sometimes it’s hard to accept some changes that you feel were forced upon you.”

  

“Ready Celia…,” Sonia said. Celia was grateful for the interruption.

 

 

What else could he say but…“Have a good evening ladies. Lawrence (coachman) will see you home,” he recovered.

 

“Thank you Dr. Campbell,” they both said. “Have a good evening.”

 

He regarded every step she made until she climbed into the carriage. Maybe he wasn’t going about things the right way. Maybe his kind gesture was all that was required of him. How could he bear her being around and not showing any emotion?

 

Amy made her appearance.

 

“Come Jonathan you shouldn’t linger. It shows bad form.”

 

“I prefer to remain out here where the air is less offensive.”

 

Whilst in the drawing room they had a disagreement. Amy complained fervently about his decision to take on two new servants and Jonathan rebutted that he was the one responsible for the household since she didn’t want to take it on in the first place.

 

She took the slight and added one of her own. “Tomorrow I will have Lawrence give that carriage a thorough cleaning. It is sure to have a foul odor after returning from your generosity.”

 

“I guess poor Lawrence will be cleaning that carriage every evening from here on,” he returned. Amy went away muttering to herself.

 

Jonathan wondered how long he could subject himself to this loveless marriage when love would be staring back at him each day.

 

Hardly listening to Sonia’s gossiping Celia thought about Jonathan’s apology and how it showed his character. It would have been easier to discount him if he wasn’t the same man that she had remembered.