Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Evening cast its long shadow across the Bay. The lantern swayed as the horses trotted steadily along the earthen road with the moon keeping its vigil from high above. Here and there they could see the light from candles illuminating from the passing houses – some homes were made of wood and others of bricks but all appeared luxurious at first glance. The dogs barked loudly and the sounds echoing from the distant forest captured the almost serene setting of the North Side of the Bay.

 

The horses ascended the bridge and upon crossing the changes were evident on the South Side – the merchant shops catering to their evening clientele, carriages passing back and forth and the shouts of the men socializing in the various taverns. Lawrence picked up the carriage’s pace and soon they saw the familiar sights and sounds of their small community.

 

Celia was mentally and physically tired and she could scarcely see her Eboe Town neighbors watching the carriage curiously as they passed by. Sonia felt highly important being driven home by carriage…first time in her life…Dr. Campbell was certainly a very nice gentleman but…  

 

“Funny how Ms. Annabelle no married but I think she like Mr. Henderson,” Sonia gossiped. Celia wondered whatever gave her such an idea.

 

“I doubt that but even if she do I think Mr. Henderson like his job more than anything.”

 

“Well Mr. Henderson strange just like Dr. Campbell’s whole house.”

 

“Why?”

 

“His house upside down. Some things in order but other things not so much…Look at Mrs. Campbell she pay no attention to her house only herself…not that I’m complaining. The less she round the better.”

 

“I know what you mean but these Baymen make their own rules that we have to follow.”

“Mr. Lawrence right here,” she peaked out tapping the carriage’s side.

 

“Alright Ms. Celia…Whoa…”        

  

“Have a nice evening Sonia and see you tomorrow.”

 

“Same to you Celia…”

  

She was so happy to see her home. It was once a single room dwelling until Joseph had extended the living space. It stood four stairs off the ground and accommodated a small living and dining area as well as two bedrooms. As that period dictated the kitchen and bathroom were located on the outside of the dwelling. Celia and her family slept in one room while her mother, Lydia and her two children cramped into the other. Their sister Hortense lived at the Johnston’s residence visiting on Sunday afternoons when her morning duties were completed.

 

“Auntie Celia! Auntie Celia!” Steven (four years old) and Esther (three years old) shouted rising from the top stair.

 

“You two up past your bedtime,” she observed.

 

“Just waiting for you to come home before we go sleep Auntie Celia,” Steven said.

 

“Mama said we could wait,” Esther added.

 

“I’m happy you two waited,” she said hugging them. She had also brought them some sweets but would give them in the morning. They entered the living room locking the door behind them.

 

“Now you two go get ready for bed,” Lydia said from the kitchen.

 

“Yes mama. Goodnight Auntie Celia…,” they said as they ran to their room.

 

“Goodnight children…goodnight mama…Lydia,” she responded removing her bonnet and shawl.

 

Abigail cradling little Joshua in her arms was sitting around the small kitchen table with Lydia. A lone candle stood burning in its center provided the only illumination for the small dwelling.

 

“Joshua already sleeping? Hope no give too much trouble.”

 

“Just about…he most upset throughout the day without his mama and daddy being round,” Abigail said.

 

“I missed him too,” she said, “but I need to bathe and change before I tend to him.”

 

“Celia how work today? Hungry?” Lydia asked rising from the table.

 

“Work alright. I already eat at Dr. Campbell’s.”

 

“Celia, mama think that we can take on more laundry…”

 

“… and do some sewing,” Abigail chimed in.

 

She could tell that this must have been an intense topic of interest while she was away at work. The solutions however weren’t well thought through.

 

“Where will we hang the extra clothes and mama your eyes bad. Besides Lydia can’t sew...”

 

“But you can Celia…,” Abigail said, “it best to try something other than you working for Dr. Campbell.”

 

When she was pregnant Celia and her mother spent many days sitting around the kitchen table sewing and mending. It earned them enough to take care of their needs at the time but that was before her mother lost some of her vision and the family grew into what it is now.

 

“There is nothing wrong with me working for Dr. Campbell. The only thing I want from him is his money. Washing and sewing simply won’t work.” Hearing his mother’s voice Joshua started to stir. “I need to go bathe before Joshua start crying. I be back soon enough.” There wouldn’t be a peacefully ending to this evening.

 

 >>>>>>>>>  

“Lydia you talk to her when she come back.”

 

“Mama, you know Celia right. What happen between them was years ago.”

 

“I don’t want contention in this home when Joseph return from sea. Joseph was the best thing that happen to Celia and Joshua.”

 

“You make it sound like Celia mind already changing.”

 

“It been change from a longtime. Just talk to her. She more listen to you than me.”

 

“Mama…you know Celia stubborn. Once she make up she mind…”

 

“Lydia…please talk to her.” Abigail said it in a tone that meant the discussion was over.

 

“Yes mama…”

<<<<<<<<<  

Dr. Campbell’s Residence…

                           

A chill entered his body and it occurred to him that he had been standing on the verandah for a long period. His face felt cold and his knuckles were white from gripping its rails. Since she left he had stood seemingly in a deep trance. The approach of the returning carriage made him snap back to reality.

 

“Lawrence did the ladies arrive home safely?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell.”

 

“Very good…carry on with your duties.”

 

Entering his residence he found a dependable Henderson dutifully holding his candle and a salver upon which stood a glass of whiskey.

 

“Dr. Campbell, your candle and your drink. Will you be requiring anything else before going to your study?”

 

“Thank you Henderson but that will be all for the evening. You may retire to your room. I will see to my personal needs tonight. Good night Henderson.”

 

“Very good sir…good night Dr. Campbell.”

  

He took the slow walk along the hallway to his study. He would take time to do some reading. Medicine was a profession that always had new discoveries and one had to keep up to understand their applications.

 

When he reached by the foot the stairs he was surprised to see a repentant Amy in her pink silken nightgown waiting for him – blonde hair draped across her bare shoulders.

 

“Instead of going to your study you should follow me upstairs.”

 

“I’m certainly not in any mood,” he muttered.

 

“I’m worried about you my love. We shouldn’t be having these disagreements,” she said in a sultry tone.

 

“Obviously we are…having these disagreements too often these days. Do you want to dissolve this union?” his brow furrowed.

 

The second time he had brought up the subject of divorce. “Where is this coming from?” she asked stunned. “Here I am ready to fulfill our innate desires and you are speaking about…,” she paused taking a breath then proceeded to trace her fingers alongside his face.

 

Unable to reciprocate her affection he snatched her hand away and said, “Amy it may have worked in the past but not tonight…my dear.”

 

Amy was undeterred and encircled her arms around his neck attempting to kiss him but he turned his face quickly removing her arms. “Amy, go to your room I have already told you that I’m not in the mood. Please excuse me I have some work to do.” He left her standing dumbfounded.

<<<<<<<<<  

Celia’s… 

After bathing and changing into her nightdress Abigail handed Joshua over to her before going to bed. She in turn took Joshua to their room and sat by her window rocking him to sleep. Lydia stood by and waited for the perfect moment to speak to Celia.

  

“I love you so much. Your grandmother and auntie don’t understand,” she said playing with his tiny fingers. Since she would be working outside of the home Celia started to cherish the few precious moments that she would be spending with her son.

 

She soon heard a knock at her room door and told Lydia to come in.

 

“Lydia, I can’t let go of this job.”

 

“Soon you have to choose between your job or your husband. I know you don’t want that to happen. When Joseph come back and find out bout who you working for he will make you stop.”

 

“No he won’t cause I will explain everything.”

 

“You keep saying that but there are things that a husband will never understand.”

 

“So we must starve. Every year things going up and we can’t depend mainly on his salary.”

 

“Maybe I should get rid of this baby. Another mouth to feed won’t help the situation.”

 

“It to late Lydia…,” she said softly, “you end up throw way yourself.”

 

“So…how Jonathan behave round you today?”

 

“Like my boss. Lydia I very tired and I need to wake up early tomorrow. I just want to be with Joshua right now.”

 

“I go but just think bout what mama and me tell you some more before you make up your mind.”

 

Celia’s mind was already opposed to the idea of leaving her new job. It would be too much an ongoing struggle if she were to do so.

<<<<<<<<<  

Dr. Campbell’s… 

He observed that she had done a great job of cleaning his study. It appeared immaculate and was the first thought that came to his mind when he opened the door. He loosened his cravat remembering her hands retying it earlier that morning. They had stood so close to one another…damn how did he hold on to his composure.

“I don’t want things to change between us.” “Eventually things will change with time.” 

A conversation between them from long ago...

 

When it came to the matter of Celia there was no ease to his conscious. It was his fault he told himself taking a sip of his whiskey and sitting behind his desk. He recalled that July evening as if it had occurred yesterday and told himself the tale once again as though he were speaking about it for the first time.

The Tale… 

It was my father’s 60th birthday – quite a feat for men who lived in the Bay. I became nauseated by the endless recounts of childhood mischief and adult achievements by his many associates. I saw Celia passing at the corner of my eye and hurriedly excused myself. I was desperate to tell her what lied in my heart.

  

*********

 

“Celia, could I speak with you for a moment.” She gazed at me suspiciously.

“Isn’t it a bit early for such things. I can’t leave right now…your father’s celebration…” 

“There are many servants in this house. I promise you that it won’t take up much time…please. I really need to speak with you.” 

“Alright.”  

I took her outside to the garden. It was a beautiful evening…the full moon…the stars shining brightly. It was the perfect setting. Celia loved being around the roses and the mermaid fountain. I took a hold of her hand and she didn’t shake it loose instead our fingers intertwined. It was a different time. I was about to go away to complete my studies…torn about having to leave her knowing the way I felt about her.

“Jo? What’s the matter? You are not going away forever.” 

“There is something I need to say before I leave.” 

“It sounds pretty serious.” 

“I will miss us being together…not only as friends.” 

“We are who we are.” 

“Lia…”  My affectionate name for her…hers was Jo…

“Jo…It is so rare that people such as us can be more than just intimate acquaintances but also friends.” 

“Lia…I love you.” 

“Jo…no…don’t say those words…Oh no…” She said turning away from me

 

My heart was beating so fast and it was crushed when she turned away. My arms encircled her waist and I placed my chin on her shoulder.

“You don’t believe in my words.” 

“It’s impossible to think that it’s real.” 

“Whenever you enter a room my heart soars and I just want to be near you. As I sleep you are there in my dreams and when I’m awake you are still on my mind. If it isn’t love then tell me what I’m feeling?” 

“You and I can never love…” 

“Lia…do you love me…too?” I turned her around and saw the answer in her tear filled irises.

“Jo…I do… love you…” 

What should have been our happiest moment together turned into our saddest when that witch Sara Brodie jumped from the bushes. We were never able to share our first real kiss. Celia left fearful and I remained behind to reason with Sara. But who could ever reason with the likes of Sara Brodie?

  

*********

“If you don’t want me to tell your father then you must offer me something to keep my mouth closed.” 

“Whatever makes you believe that my father would believe you over me?” 

“Ordinarily you would be right but I am a Brodie. What will happen if I requested that your father invite Celia to the discussion?” 

“You wouldn’t dare!” 

“Try me Jonathan Campbell! My threats are very real.” 

“What do you want Sara?” 

“A sweet kiss and my lips are sealed.” 

“Is that all! Let’s do it then!” 

“Remember it has to be believable.” 

“How do you know the difference between a good and a bad kiss?” 

“Just know that I know the difference…now stop dilly dallying!” 

I had to imagine myself kissing Celia but Sara’s lips were dry and it wasn’t my Celia’s. I walked away quickly and thought that the matter had ended. Sara still informed my father about my transgression. She had a notion that she and I would be married in the future – a business opportunity between her father and mine…a chance to create the most powerful family in the Bay. My emotional involvement with Celia certainly diminished her plans. The easiest thing to do was to be rid of Celia.

 

He didn’t want to recall the encounter he had with his father. It made him feel insignificant with Mr. Campbell threatening to put him out on the streets…penniless.

 

“Listen to me telling tales to no one. I must be going mad.” He gulped down the last of his drink and leaned his head against his chair. “One day and evening with you Celia and my mind is not my own. I shouldn’t be thinking about the past. I need to concentrate on the present and what lies in the future. You’re right Celia I must accept how our lives have changed but can I...really?”

 

That old saying ‘misery loves company’ applied to him this night. He had to go out to one of the taverns and socialize and would have no regard for the time he would be returning home. What’s good for the goose is also good for the gander.

 <<<<<<<<<  

Joshua slumbered at her side and still she couldn’t find any solace. Her interactions with Jonathan and these latest discussions with her mother and sister had caused her mind to drift back to that evening when everything changed between her and Jonathan and of course there was the aftermath…

 

*********

 Celia saw Jonathan coming towards her with a look of despair on his handsome face. She couldn’t say anything because Mrs. Benington was quickly ushering her to Mr. Campbell’s study. He touched her hand slightly in passing both knowing that this was perhaps the last time they would see each other again. She couldn’t be saved and she didn’t expect him to save her. 

Mr. Campbell’s study… 

She stood before Mr. Campbell numb and barely listening to the curses he was throwing her way. For the first time in her short life she felt the love of a man and in the same breath had lost it – rare in those days to consider love and its complications. Whatever would they have done with their love?

 

“Celia!” he shouted vexed with her non-reaction. His face reddened by his anger towards her. Oh if she were a man she would have received a sound beating. “A black witch if ever there was one… but soon my son will be purged of your witchcraft! As for you I will inform all my colleagues about your propensity for involving yourself in matters that are none of your concern. Sara Brodie was right to bring your wanton behavior to my attention and now you must face the consequences.”

 

It shocked her that he was speaking about taking away her livelihood. “Mr. Campbell I haven’t done anything wrong.”

 

“Did I ask you to speak?!”

 

“No…but…”

 

“Your failure to recognize authority doesn’t surprise me. Leave my presence at once! I can’t stand the sight of you! Mrs. Benington! Wipe this estate and my son from your memory because you will not see either again!” He was partly correct.

 

So she left with only the clothes on her back and Mrs. Benington leading the way. The household servants looked on to catch a glimpse of the disgrace. Mrs. Benington yelled for them to get back to work. Celia was escorted all the way to the huge iron gates and it made a heavy clang when it was closed behind her. She attempted to see Jonathan from behind his bedroom window but he was nowhere to be seen. It was the last time she cried for him – at least she would have a part of him once this baby was born. She would do everything within her power to protect their child.

 

*********

 

 

It was the most awful time in her life recalling walking to her mother’s house and explaining to her all that had occurred. She didn’t tell her mother about the baby until her pregnancy had started to show. They were already struggling and finding out about the new addition greatly disappointed Abigail but then Joseph came along and her life changed.

 

She gazed at Joshua and wondered…

 

“Joshua wasn’t his child really. Joseph was his father and would it be fair to anyone if the truth came out. What would Jonathan do? Probably seek to take Joshua away from me so that he and his wife Amy can raise my son,” she told herself. She reasoned that he could never see or have any knowledge of Joshua. It was better for everyone involved.

 

And what about the things you are feeling? “It doesn’t matter what I feel…Joshua needs his family to stay together.”