Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


2 ½ hours after her arrival and still sleep eluded her. Late to bed and Early to rise... was the Victorian servants' motto of the period although being employed at Jonathan's residence had afforded her an early evening. During this time Joshua had fallen asleep at her side and she took the opportunity to redo her braids. Ever now and then she peeked over at him making sure that everything was still alright.

"Come on Celia shut your eyes," she commanded herself.

But closing her eyes and wishing sleep to come didn't help much. A spider darted across the moonlit wall and she scarcely blinked. Leaning against the headboard eyes studied each crack in the ceiling wondering about the condition of her husband sailing across the vast ocean and yes she thought about Jonathan...Lydia uttered a true statement on that Monday morning...old loves never die off easily especially when a flame has been lit...

 

Meanwhile...

A dark yet starry night, the waves lapping against the ships side and the dank smell of the ocean were some of the things that Captain John Cummins loved most about the sea. He was born an English blueblood but a quest for adventure drove him into the world of seafaring. Success hadn't come easy and his sun burnt skin bore the scars of many years of strife before captaincy was achieved. The crew had great respect for him and trusted his judgment.

"Blimey Joseph hadn't figured you being much a boxer but your strong build should have given me an idea," Captain Cummins admired.

He had invited Joseph to his captain's cabin for a drink of dark rum. Joseph and a sailor called Dakers had an earlier disagreement. Captain Cummins thought the matter should be best settled with a duel of fists Joseph was the victor none the worse.

On a hunch he made a bet of three shillings with his first mate. "Aye I'm glad you gave me a bit of enjoyment laddie."

"Thank you Captain. I've got a lot of strength in my arms," he beamed. "I knew they had other uses."

Captain Cummins had grown to admire Joseph during their short time together on the ocean and Joseph felt comfortable enough to speak around him.

"It best you be getting on to bed there'll be lots of work for those powerful arms in the morning"

"Goodnight Captain."

Captain Cummins scratched his thinning tresses. He recognized that Joseph wasn't meant for stokehold work. It would take time but was going to happen...gradually.

 

Joseph slept far below deck with other black seafarers who weren't too please with his cozy relationship with the captain. They feared calling him out about it or their prides would be handed to them.

"You and the Captain had good conversation," Moses enquired propping himself in the hammock.

"Think it good to talk to the captain," he responded indifferent. At the moment his only concern was climbing into the hammock without making an ass of himself.

"Sound like Joseph have a plan for getting out of the stokehold."

"Always have a plan... I love the sea." Finally he succeeded. "Law of the sea different from the law of the land."

"Wait till they start cutting your pay. I remember they charge me one day pay for quarreling with Tom over there."

"Or when you tired of seeing sea and no dry land," Tom lamented.

"Or when rations get cut down and you have to eat stale bread with no meat," they heard someone else say.

"Or when you get beat up just because you black..."

With that last refrain the men settled back into their hammocks. They were employed to do the worst jobs on the ship which made it impossible to gain much respect from the above level crew.

"Captain won't let that happen to me," Joseph expressed confidently.

"Hope you right Joseph," Moses replied even though he wanted to say something entirely different.

 

Baymen's Club...

The taverns weren't meant for gentlemen during that time of night - the club was a much suitable option. Even though it wasn't the case, it seemed like his friends were already awaiting his arrival. Jonathan deposited his jacket and gloves, hat and cane with the attendant and headed towards the drawing room. The room was large with a lighted candle chandelier at its center. It wasn't occupied by many men but the few voices clamored over one another. Scanning the room his eyes encountered Ben, Thomas, and Addison enjoying a round of drinks and a bit of conversation around the card table.

"Ben...Thomas and Addison...," he whispered to himself. Friends that were the classic Victorian male models - living off the wealth of their fathers...He had decided to take a different route.

Ben... an energetic fellow almost six feet tall with dark hair and beard with jovial grey eyes. He was always bursting with exuberance, ready and willing to engage in anything fun-filled. Thomas was his opposite easygoing, very loyal, the quietest of his friends...5' 10", medium build with sandy hair and blue eyes. Lastly there was Addison who oozed confidence, tall, debonair, blonde hair and keen blue eyes that were very observant but appeared most charming to the ladies - a great mixture of companions for any man to associate himself around.     

"Incredible that I would run into you chaps here!" he announced easing into the fourth chair.

Ben happy to see his friend exclaimed, "Ah Jonathan! Well we could say the same about you...can't we gentlemen? Did Mrs. Campbell allow you to come out and play," he said wickedly.

"Shut the hell up...," Jonathan laughed.

"What's your pleasure?" Thomas asked. "We have already requested another round."

"I've already fancied myself a glass of port..."

"Not unexpected...," Addison said lighting a cigar, "come on Jonathan...we are all friends...seriously what's the occasion?"

"No occasion...can't a man come out and socialize with his friends from time to time. You would think that I've been put on a shelf the way you gentlemen are talking."

"We know you enjoy cuddling with your periodicals," Thomas offered.

This was most vexing. "And what of you Addison? It seems like you have been lost in the forests lately," Jonathan countered arms folded.

"Where in the world have you been? Until this night I haven't seen you at the club...," Ben said, "Nor the cricket grounds..."

Jonathan giggled, "Ben you do mean the tracks..." Ben shot him a glance.

"I was sorely disappointed when you blew off our fishing trip," Thomas said disappointed.

The gentlemen of the Bay pastimes summed up in one back and forth discussion.

"Gentlemen...I've had important business to take care of..." Addison lifted his chin and blew out the cigar smoke.

Ben decided to light his own cigar. "Business...business...," Ben moaned through a puff of smoke, "sometimes I miss our younger years when our time was better spent chasing young ladies and there weren't many expectations."

"Ben, we are still young. Well at least I know I am...," Addison tittered. The others laughed along with him.

The port arrived and so did another round of pale ale and brandy. They drank contentedly and had more laughs at each other's expense.

"Since Jonathan has joined us we should play a hand of whist. It takes more than skill to win this game...you need the perfect partner."

"Surely that excludes you from being mine," Jonathan joked.

"I am certainly not amused," Ben sulked... "I'm starting to feel like the patsy for the evening. Start cutting the damn cards!"

Each of them cut the cards in turn. Addison drew the highest card becoming the dealer and Jonathan ended up being his partner. Ben and Thomas sat together on the opposite side with Thomas being the scorer.

"Have you been invited to the Edwards dinner party?" Addison asked as he dealt the cards. He couldn't recall the last time that he had seen Jonathan at a dinner party.

"Amy and I have been invited but I was forced to decline the invitation because of work." He forced a smile. "She is still excited about attending."

"If it pleases you I could keep an eye on her..."

"I would be happy if you would," Jonathan said sipping his drink.

Play started. Jonathan and Addison ended up winning the first hand but Ben wasn't satisfied with a friendly game.

"I believe this next game should be wagered."

"I knew this was coming...," Thomas said shaking his head. Sometimes he wondered how Ben held on to his money.

"I'm game...," Addison said shrugging his shoulders.

"So am I. What are we wagering?" Jonathan asked eagerly.

"Ten shillings..."

Half a pound...not much...but adequate for a wager between friends...it was agreed. Ben and Thomas won the next game but Addison explained that it would be fair to everyone if it was the best two of three hands.

"I read that move Ben..."

"Oh you did..."

"Good show Jonathan..."

Cigar smoke filling the air...a few drinks...great fun, Jonathan was at ease. The next two games were won by Jonathan and Addison who divvied up four pounds much to Thomas' displeasure.

"And here I thought you would have been a good partner Ben..."

"I also thought that you would a good strategist...keeping score..," Ben snickered, "I did have an amusing time and we should get together more often." The others nodded their heads in agreement.

Addison snuffed out his cigar in the ashtray and said, "Gentlemen it has been a great pleasure but I must be getting home."

"You're right it is getting late," Ben said following his lead.

The other club men had retired for the evening and they were the only ones remaining in the drawing room along with a lone attendant.

The friends got up to leave except Jonathan who had planned on spending the night. All members of the club had a private room assigned to them which they could use whenever the need arose.

"Jonathan, aren't you coming?" Ben asked starting to follow behind his two companions.

"I'm not ready to go home as yet."

"Oh...then may I speak with you privately for a moment."

"Of course..."

"Thomas I will join you momentarily..."

>>>>>>>>> 

They strode to a quiet corner and Jonathan asked, "What do you need to speak to me about?"

"I have it on good authority that your father is making return visit to the Bay."

Jonathan felt an internal turmoil but he maintained his composure.

John Campbell was spending a great deal of time in the United States making a handsome profit from contraband trade with the confederates. Jonathan also suspected that he had another family there as well.

"Who told you this?" he asked stoically eyes never wavering from Ben's intent stare.

"Does it really matter? You must prepare yourself."

"It's been a longtime since I've allowed my father to control my life."

"There is still his influence," he cautioned...a deep sigh past his lips.

"I believe I've created some of my own." He placed a quiet hand on Ben's shoulder. "Ben, do not trouble yourself. When the time comes I will be able to handle my father. Do you know when he will come?"

"Sorry I do not."

"Then all I can do is wait for this visit but my life won't come to a standstill because of this knowledge." even if there are implications...

Ben smiled then said, "I'm confident you can handle your father. Good evening Jonathan."

"Ben thanks for the forewarning and have a good evening."

He didn't go upstairs immediately rather he went to the writing room to write a letter.

Dear Drake,

I hope you and your family are well. You wouldn't believe what has been happening...

 

The next morning...

4:30 a.m.

Steam floated from the old washtub - Celia's morning had begun. It was time to do Ms. Abigail's and her family's laundry...a task she didn't want to leave until evening. Those were safer times and there wasn't any fear of standing outside before daylight doing the wash - most of her neighbors were doing the same.

5:00 a.m.

The outside fire hearth was lighted with wood that Lydia and the children had collected from the day before. Celia and Lydia were busy getting breakfast ready while Abigail remained inside with the still sleeping children.

Soon it was time to bathe and change into her work attire. Carefully she kissed Joshua and went to the living room. She left the sweets with her mother to give to the children as a morning surprise.

5:30 a.m. Sonia called and they were on their way to work.

In between idle conversation Celia yawned and stretched. Last night she had fallen asleep late and had tossed and turned until she finally awoke at her customary time of 4:00 a.m.

"I feel the same way Celia with those five children of mine."

Sonia had three girls and two boys who ranged in ages from 7 - 14 years. Her husband Peter was an axeman at the mahogany camps. The few months when he was at home he wasn't much of a father-figure but provided for his household the best way he could.

"I hardly sleep last night and I still get up early to wash."

"I hear you...but all in the life. How Lydia?"

"The baby growing good but I see her feet swelling. Mama tell her to soak her feet in warm water and Epsom salt."

"That will help her. Thank the Lawd this old body can't bear anymore children. As for you Celia... you have some ways to go," Sonia suggested with a sly smile.

"No way...no way...no right now. That's why whenever Joseph and I together I drink me bitters when I feel something strange or no see something."

A sad thing to say but Celia only satisfied Joseph's sexual urges when she perceived the need to do so. Firstly she had no desire of becoming pregnant until Joshua was four years old and there was also that comparison.

"Ha...Ha...Ha...mind you get weak." Sonia had a hearty laugh for the morning.

>>>>>>>>> 

Upon arriving Henderson greeted them as he opened the door. Off to the kitchen and they greeted Annabelle and then Amos who was preparing to lug water up to his mistress bedchamber. Amos was a tall and handsome Creole in which Celia could easily tell that Sonia had a playful interest. Sonia eyed him carefully as she went about assisting Abigail with breakfast. The upstairs bell rang.

"I must go now Madam is calling for me. Mrs. Abigail I will return for Ms. Beatrice breakfast."

<<<<<<<<< 

Breakfast consisted of biscuits and toasts with a choice of butter or strawberry jam, there was scrambled eggs and sausages with English tea. Celia's breakfast at home had never come close to this feast and she usually felt guilty about partaking in it knowing that the others at home were enjoying plain porridge.

With the conclusion of the servants' breakfast Amy's breakfast tray was placed together - a bowl containing bananas, oranges along with imported apples and pears; finished with the tea-urn, china cup and saucer, silver teaspoon and fork.  

Celia collected her cleaning supplies from the Housemaid's closet and went about her duties happily...grateful that she hadn't come into any contact with Jonathan.

>>>>>>>>> 

An hour later whilst upstairs cleaning the guest bedroom she heard a commotion coming from down below. Naturally it tweaked her ears and she crept by the edge of the wall to listen in. Wherever Amos and Beatrice were she didn't see them.

"Where were you last night?!" Amy yelled. Interesting Jonathan wasn't home. Where was he?

"Watch your tone. I am not one of your servants!" Jonathan snapped.

Amy gathered herself patting the side of her head. "Be that as it may I deserve to know where you were," she responded calmly.

The tide had certainly turned Jonathan thought. "Like I deserve to know how and where you spend my money."

Celia imagined that the couple was becoming fodder for malicious gossip especially with Sonia around.   

"Your wife was left alone... all night long."

"Henderson, Amos and Lawrence were available to you."

Amy cocked her head and declared, "Those men are not my husband."

Jonathan sighed heavily. "If you should know I spent last night at the club. Does that satisfy you? I don't know what you are trying to accuse me of." Jonathan's ire spread across his face. His feet stood apart arms akimbo.

"I'm not going to allow you to ruin my day because I have much to do," she said brushing past him, "I need to start preparing for the Edwards dinner party tomorrow."

"And I need to get ready for work. I was going upstairs for my bag."

"Do whatever suits you. Celia! Celia!"

"Why are you calling for Ms. Celia?" he asked suspicious.

She turned slightly. "I need her assistance."

"You have a personal maid named Ms. Beatrice who is more than capable of assisting you."

"Ms. Beatrice is doing an important errand for me." Jonathan rolled his eyes. "I need Celia's assistance in getting dressed."

"Ms. Celia is not your personal maid!" he insisted face turning a deeper shade of red.

"If you're going to be that way I shall be forced call to upon Sara Brodie...begging her to loan me one of her maids!"  Sara Brodie...his eyes narrowed. The name likened to a slap in his face.

Hearing her name being called Celia immediately went by the banister.

The mention of Sara Brodie made her mind come to a standstill. Jonathan's eyes moved upwards. He noticed Celia standing at the top of the stairs.

"Don't ever mention that woman's name in my presence again! ...or your allowances will be cut off for a whole year," he hissed. 

Amy appeared stricken by fear and didn't know quite how to respond. It was the loudest that she had heard Jonathan speak to her.

She barely whispered, "I'm sorry...it will never happen again," ...before running up the stairs past a stunned Celia.

<<<<<<<<< 

Celia hadn't anticipated that the name Sara Brodie would invoke such an emotion of sadness within her. For a moment her eyes latched on to his but soon she retreated to the confines of the guest bedroom.

Quickly she opened a side window trying to regain her calm. Two days and their distant past was coming to the surface. She was foolish not to believe that it wouldn't have happened.

The knob turned and the door cracked open revealing the only person that understood her predicament. Instinctively she ran to him.

<<<<<<<<< 

He hadn't fathom that she would come rushing into his arms and she didn't know how long she'd be allowed to remain in its comfort. She listened to him calmly breathing, smelt the faint scent of his cologne and felt the touch of his linen shirt against her cheek.

Eyes tightly closed two arms drew her nearer. He didn't speak nervous of breaking the serenity that was occurring between them. It had been a long time since he held her this way...it felt so damn good. How empty his arms had been without her. An unexpected noise from the outside... the spell was broken.

"Forgive me...I didn't mean to...," she stammered moving away.

"It's alright Celia. You were upset..."

"If I had known that your wife is familiar with Sara...," she said without lifting her eyes.

"They are not friends mainly acquaintances. She threw her name out only to incite a reaction from me."

"She achieved her aim because it certainly affected both of us..."

"If I were an evil man I would have made Sara pay dearly for what she did to us."

"But you are not your father." Her eyes gazed at his again. "You are kind like your mother...thankfully. Things have changed.  I'm so embarrassed. My second day at work and I'm already running into your arms," she chuckled nervously.

"Don't give it another thought. You had a very good reason;" he cracked a smile, "feeling better?"

"I am... thank you for asking."

"Well I must be on my way. I'm sure my clients are already waiting." He started to walk away.

"Jonathan..."

"Yes Celia..."

"I'm grateful that you allowed me to work for you."

"You work very well and have good character. It wasn't a stretch for me to consider you for the job. Mrs. Annabelle helped as well."

"But you could have easily turned me away...given... our history."

"And you could have easily not showed. When it comes to you and me there are many regrets Celia but whenever you need me I will be here for you... now."

His brown eyes swept over her and they both discerned a spark between them.

"I...I...need to get back to work."

"Yes...yes...so do I. Remember my wife is not to disturb you from your work. Please inform me if she does."

Celia nodded her head. "Have a good day Dr. Campbell."

"Have a good day Celia," he bowed then took his leave.

Celia couldn't help but giggle with herself. She felt at ease. Was that necessarily good or bad? She paused and thought about it.

Jonathan on the other hand felt light on his feet when he went to retrieve his bag. An embrace, polite conversation...he was giddy with excitement. Celia was starting to trust him again. For the first time Henderson heard Jonathan whistling as he went to his office.

<<<<<<<<< 

"Celia! Celia..."

"Oh no what could Amy possibly require..."  She observed Amy standing by the door to her boudoir. "Yes ma'am."

"I need you to come and assist me."

"Forgive me Mrs. Campbell but Dr. Campbell has left me with strict instructions."

"What strict instructions?" Amy asked bewildered.

"I am only to perform my household duties."

"Nonsense! I am his wife and part of your duties includes serving me," she pronounced.

"Dr. Campbell is my employer and he specifically stated that you are not to disturb me from my work. Excuse me Mrs. Campbell but I have much to do."

Amy's mouth was left agape. It had been quite a morning. Already Jonathan had the servants rebelling against her wishes. She needed to have a serious discussion with her husband. What to do but wait on Beatrice to return.

"Ooh!" She yelled slamming her door.