Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“You are of good cheer this morning.”

 

“Am I?” Jonathan cracked a smile checking Mrs. Taylor’s breathing with a stethoscope. “Take another deep breath…”

 

In those days physicians were taught not to talk or maintain eye contact with a female patient - her modesty must be maintained. Physical examinations were done at the permission of her husband or male relative. Dr. Campbell was breaking the rules but the residents never spoke out against it. They had confidence in his methods.

 

“Sound breathing… You are complaining of a raspy throat?”

 

“Yes Dr. Campbell and I fear it’s going to get worse,” Mrs. Taylor agonized.

 

Jonathan retrieved an auroscope from his medical bag. “Open your mouth wide and say ahhh… hmmm…Now please lift your chin.”

 

Mrs. Taylor shifted in her seat. Dr. Campbell’s hands were soft, gentle unlike her bumbling husband. And who could forget his suave vocals. What woman wouldn’t succumb to his charms... Her pale cheeks flushed.

 

“Do you have a fever Mrs. Taylor?”

 

“Perhaps…”

 

Jonathan checked her forehead with the back of his head. “Clearly you have a fever and your glands are slightly swollen.”

 

“I hope I’m not going to be very ill. Mr. Taylor always accuses me of over indulgence.”

 

He sat at the edge of his desk reassuring her with a compassionate hand squeeze. “It is not so serious. Gargle your throat three times daily with a half-glass of vinegar, a pinch of salt, a squeeze of lime stirred together.” He wasn’t against mixing home remedies with conventional medicine. “I’ll give you some medicine for the fever. Bed rest for three days.”

 

“There is no one that understands a patient’s care the way you do,” she praised.

 

“I believe that a physician’s job is more than just writing out prescriptions. It also involves listening and understanding the needs of one’s patients.”

 

“If Henry could only listen to me while I’m speaking,” she frowned, “he never understands a word I say.”

 

“Some husbands are different than others.”

 

“I believe your wife is blessed to have you for a husband.”

 

“I also believe that your husband is blessed to have you for a wife.”

 

Mrs. Taylor blushed. “Oh you…Whenever you have the time you and your wife should think about joining us for dinner.”

 

“My wife and I will think about it. Thank you Mrs. Taylor.”

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

 

Files were kept recording his patients’ complaints, diagnosis and the sort of treatment that was recommended – a medical history.

 

As he finished writing in Mrs. Taylor’s file his mind strayed.

 

He yearned for Celia to enter through his doors. Lunch could be had again…no…that tactic failed miserably. Celia appeared very frightened and behaved as such. Progress was made earlier that morning but there was so much that was left unsaid – time was lost to them, ripped away he should say. His emotions hadn’t changed but had her feelings remained the same? She has a husband, a child. Where could he possibly fit in her life?

In all likelihood just a good friend…

Ha…a good friend that knows every curve of her form sensed her skin against his, tasted her tongue when their lips melded…overjoyed when he pressed into her…

 

Witchcraft! The memory of his father’s booming accusatory tone was an unwelcome interruption.

 

Celia wasn’t a witch but his true love.

 

“Damn him to hell!”

 

The prospect of his father’s impending visit was cause for alarm. Celia shouldn’t endure that reintroduction. John Campbell would show up at his front door unannounced and barge through the hallways. He thoroughly enjoyed making others feel small in his presence. If only he knew the date of his return then he would be able to give her some time away.

 

Through a quickening heart rate and ragged breathing he muttered harshly to himself to regain some calm. He was a man of position and no longer under the thumb of his father.

 

“Dr. Campbell…” Henderson’s steady knock at his door… “Mrs. Danderson has come for her scheduled appointment.”

 

“Henderson, please give me a moment…” An available handkerchief was used to mop his brow. “Come in Mrs. Danderson.”

 >>>>>>>>>  

 

Celia was exiting Dr. Campbell’s room when Beatrice came running up the stairs with package in hand. Before entering madam’s boudoir she took a breath and made herself, what she thought, was presentable. Celia could only imagine the complaints that Amy was sharing about her husband’s disobedient housemaid.

 

15 minutes passed… In the next moment a distressed Beatrice went running down the stairs destined for Jonathan’s office. Celia decided against paying it any attention. She remembered what happened the last time when she was too curious.  Seconds later Jonathan sprinted up the stairs with a sobbing Beatrice behind. Something terrible must have occurred but it was not her place to snoop.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

On the floor Amy laid crumpled looking very pale. Jonathan placed a vile of smelling salts by her nose. She coughed.

 

“Dr. Campbell I didn’t know what happened one minute we were talking and the next…,” Beatrice rambled and cried.

 

Amy was still coughing as he lifted her off the floor placing her in the bed.

 

“Ms. Beatrice, please calm yourself and pour my wife a glass of water.”

 

“Right away sir...” A tray containing a jug half-filled with water and glass was sitting atop Amy’s chiffonier.

  

“Amy…Amy…”

 

“Jonathan…where…where…am I?”

 

“You fainted, my dear. Come…drink this water…”

 

She gulped down the entire glass of water. “Hmmm…”

 

“Nothing is broken but the fall gave you a bump on the back of your head.”

 

“Oooh…yes…I do feel it. My head aches. What do you suggest?”

 

“For now rest.” Jonathan took off her shoes and slipped her feet under the covers. “Ms. Beatrice, ask Mrs. Annabelle to prepare my wife a cup of tea.”

 

“Yes sir…”

 

“Jonathan, thank you. I know we have been at odds lately but if you weren’t here. I don’t know…” He leaned down kissing her forehead.

 

“Stay with me a little while…,” she pleaded.

 

“I will…”

 >>>>>>>>>  

 

The anguished state of Beatrice left Celia to conclude that indeed something terrible had happened to Mrs. Campbell. There was a sense of guilt about the way she acted towards her. She should have assisted Amy even though she was a beast… she must have made quite an impression for Jonathan to marry her.

What makes you believe that the two of you would have married? Not here…not anywhere… 

<<<<<<<<<  

 

How long she stood downstairs waiting for news she couldn’t tell. Soon a concerned Mrs. Annabelle joined her. The door clicked shut and they saw Jonathan’s stolid figure coming down the stairs towards them.

 

“How is Mrs. Campbell?”

 

“Yes how is she doing?”

 

“My dears she is alright and is quietly resting.” Annabelle silently thanked God.

 

“Ms. Beatrice gave us such a fright,” Annabelle recounted.

 

“I’m happy to hear that she is feeling better.”

 

“Celia, it is very kind of you to wish her well.” For a moment he regarded her.

  

“Do you believe Mrs. Campbell will be well enough to attend the dinner party?”

 

“Knowing Amy…of course she will. There isn’t anything that will derail her plans.”

 

The conversation continued and Celia left…she had to start cleaning the windows.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

Amy popped on eye opened and asked, “Is he completely gone?”

 

“Yes Mrs. Campbell,” Beatrice sighed.

 

“I should give you extra for that stellar performance but alas Jonathan controls the finances in this house. Did you see the way he reacted around me?” Amy asked gleefully climbing out of bed.

 

“Mrs. Campbell maybe you shouldn’t be out of bed. The bump on the head is real.”

 

“A necessary consequence…the faint had to be believable. I hardly feel it. Beatrice stop being so stodgy.”

 

“What if Dr. Campbell returns and finds you out of bed,” Beatrice replied with a concerned expression.

 

“It’s your duty to keep an eye out… isn’t it my dear Beatrice?”

 

“Yes ma’am.”

 

“By the middle of the afternoon I will be well enough to finish up my last minute shopping. I just have to ease into recovery…carefully.”

 

Some men are easily deceived you need to use the right tactic. If your husband is a physician then become one of his patients. Amy’s tip for the day.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

As the morning went on Jonathan did timely check-ins on Amy who seemed to be recovering very nicely….already sitting up in bed without any lingering effects. The color in her cheeks was returning. Cause for any remaining apprehension had disappeared. He could go on his home visit which his male patients preferred. Not without a small complaint from Amy.

 

“I’ll only be away for a short while.”

 

“I’m going to miss you.”

 

“My dear let’s not pretend that I’m going away for a week,” he chuckled.

 

“I was beginning to form an attachment with the Bay’s best physician and my savior. Alright go but could you return with some chocolates from the confectioners.”

 

“What kind would you prefer?”

 

“Surprise me,” she bubbled.

 

Even a quick kiss from her husband didn’t dampened Amy’s sense of accomplishment.

“Mother always said better to be a damsel in distress than a raging shrew.”

 

“And if you were to be found out?”

 

“A wife’s concern for the state of her marriage outweighs such defiant behavior. Beatrice sometimes you are so slow to understand what it takes to be a wife and keep everything together. One day you will understand.”

 

She also understood what lengths Amy would go to hang on to the status of being married to a physician. God please help Dr. Campbell.

 <<<<<<<<<  

There was an expectation that at any moment Amy would beckon her. She had prepared her mind to accept any possibility including a stern lecture but the call never came.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

For the household staff lunch was served promptly at 11:30 a.m. – day old soup with bread and lime juice. Absenting Beatrice and Amos the others crowded into the tiny servant’s room and sat around a table that seated six – Henderson at the head, Annabelle at the opposite end, Lawrence at the left, Celia and Sonia on the right. Words remained unspoken. Each kept to their side…slurping soup, chewing bread, sipping juice until the meal was finished. Annabelle and Sonia cleared away the dishes.

 

One incident and the entire mood of residence had changed – hardly a noise to be heard except for those that came from the outside. Ordinarily Celia hummed dusting all the knick-knacks on the whatnot stand in the parlor but today she was concentrating on cleaning them perfectly.

 

The parlor was a most impressive room filled with some remembrances of Jonathan and Amy’s time in England. White linen curtains swept alongside the piano that was rarely played. Colorful magazines regarding travel and geography lied strewn across the center table. Black and white paintings of his grandparents and mother kept vigil from cream wallpapering designed with gold traceries. Two stuffed peacocks flanked either side of the room while mahogany upholstered settee and chairs stood tall upon light gray tapestry carpeting. These are a few details of how the room appeared…there was more… much more. Anyone could see why most of her time was spent tidying this room.

 

“Chocolate?”

 

“What?”

 

Turning around a piece of delicious chocolate was slipped into her mouth.

 

“I’ll give you and Sonia some chocolates to take home,” came Jonathan’s trailing voice. “isn’t it delightful…”

 

Happiness was a piece of chocolate – a true delicacy that was rarely sampled by the poor. She was lost in the delightful morsel churning over and over inside her mouth.

 

“Hmmm…,” she sighed as she swallowed the last tasty bite.

 

How disappointing. It was gone but Jonathan had promised more. Won’t everyone at home be delighted… her eyes sparkled at the thought.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

Again Amy and her two servants left for the day. Seemed like the day was back to normal….whatever that meant…. She took a stroll to the kitchen.

 

Sonia lifted her head from the simmering pot her face glistening with perspiration. She used her apron to wipe the sweat away. “Work easy?”  With the cooking progressing the kitchen became very warm.

 

“Just finish with the parlor still have some other rooms to do.” Including Dr. Campbell’s office…”So what we eating for dinner?”

 

Sonia cleared her throat and began her English mimicry. “Mrs. Annabelle is preparing a special meal for our loving couple this evening.”

 

“Do tell madam…”  Celia stifled a chuckle.

 

“Cream soup with broiled snapper; thereafter roast pork with steamed vegetables. For dessert there will be a savory plum pudding. A sparkling bottle of French champagne will accompany the meal.”

 

“It sounds very romantic. And what crumbs for your poor…humble…servants.”

 

“Stewed breast of chicken and rice accompanied with pale ale if you so desire.”

 

“No desert?”

 

“You are far too…lowly…” Sonia snorted. Much to Annabelle’s dismay Celia as well made herself merry.

  

“If you two can’t stay quiet it best that Celia go back to her work.”

 

“Sorry Ms. Annabelle,” they replied contrite.

Moments later… 

“I still excited. Hope we have some leftovers to take home.”

 

“Not with the way these men eat around here.”

 

“I think I’ll prepare a special plate for Amos.”

 

“Sonia behave. Leave that man alone. He have enough problems dealing with Ms. Amy.”

 

“That’s why he need a woman to look out for him. Make him feel good.”

 

“You will make him feel good,” Celia said crossing her arms.

 

“Sometimes a man need a reminder that he mean something in this world.”

 

“With a special plate of food?” Celia’s face showed that she couldn’t believe Sonia’s tactic.

 

“It the small things that make a man feel good. You’ll see.”

 

“That your situation.  Just don’t do anything foolish.”

 

“Who…me..?

 

Best to leave Sonia alone for the rest of the day – liable to hear about her other plans for Amos…

 <<<<<<<<<  

Wiping away the dust from the ornamented hallway mirror was a task that Celia truly detested. She believed that the mirror revealed her true self. There wasn’t any joy behind her brown eyes – Joshua was her sole comfort…to see the world through his small inquisitive eyes was the highlight of her time with him. Everyone else was focused on surviving through to the next day.

 

“Ms. Celia…”

 

“Yes Mr. Henderson…”

 

Again Jonathan wasn’t available which meant that it was time to clean his office and remember to take up his bath water as well.

 

Being alone in his office Celia became distracted and started to think about their brief interactions. Questions formed in her mind.

What do I really know about Jonathan? 

“He’s very kind…treats others well…”

Regarding his relationship with Amy? 

“Unhappy and yet there is still some feeling…”

And what of his feelings towards me?

          

“I’m not sure if it be love, pity or both…”

And my feelings towards him? 

“I should have no feelings towards him but I’m not going to be made a fool again…”

  

Celia smirked. Too much time was being wasted on playing this foolish game. Work was calling.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

When Amy arrived home Jonathan soon followed. Instantly Amy became clingy and there wasn’t any chance of them speaking to each other.

 

Disappointment set in when Jonathan failed to join her on the verandah like the previous evening. Could she be jealous that Amy was occupying his time? Hardly – Amy is his wife. She gripped her shawl tightly.

 

Before leaving Henderson gave them each a bag full of chocolates.

 

“Pinch me cause I must be in heaven,” Sonia squealed eating a piece.

 

Lawrence soon appeared to take them home. Apparently the carriage ride home wasn’t just for one evening.

  

The carriage bumped along. Celia gave Sonia a hard stare…she couldn’t have just one piece but started devouring the others.

 

“Celia you don’t like chocolate?”

 

“I’m saving them for the family at home.”

 

“Oh…yes…” Her five children at home must have slipped her mind.

  

“Sonia you ever been in love… bad?”

 

“When I first meet me husband. Nothing I wouldn’t have done for that man. Thought I would always feel that way.”

 

“So what happened?”

 

“Life happened. That first feeling of love only the beginning. See if you still have it when things start to go wrong. Men can let you down but if a woman still care there are ways to test a man. Like what Ms. Amy did today.”

 

“You think Ms. Amy wasn’t sick?” Celia asked shocked.

 

“Come on Celia even I have tried it with Peter. It all in the game. Today Amy get chocolates and attention from her husband.”

 

“You live and learn but are you sure,” she replied not entirely swayed. “Sometimes Ms. Amy look delicate in this heat.”

 

“Delicate…please…that woman tougher than me and you. I feel sorry for Dr. Campbell cause he a very nice man. He don’t deserve a wife like Amy. That type of woman bring down a man spirit. Soon he will treat us differently cause of that witch.”

 

It was definitely something to ponder.

 <<<<<<<<<  

 

Jonathan fidgeted a bit in the settee with Amy seated beside him. Her right arm cradled around his left. Amy claimed fragility and begged for his companionship. It prevented him from going outside to bid Celia a good evening.

 

“When we were dating I remember you sending me love poems.”

 

“I remember.”

He paid a tidy sum for each one.

 

“I wish we would return to those days. I hate when our energies are wasted in frivolous disagreements. It’s madness.”

 

“I agree.” He cleared his throat.

 

“I believe that I’m well enough to attend the dinner party tomorrow. You should join me. I need someone to lean on,” she ended softly. She rested her head upon his shoulder.

“I have no objections to you attending but I’m still unable to go with you.”

 

“I am saddened but as your loving wife I do understand.”

 

“Excuse me for a second but I need to pour myself a glass of sherry. Do you want one?”

 

“Not at this time. Where is Henderson?” She asked peeved.

 

“I’ve sent him to lock to main doors.”

 

“Oh…”

 

Pouring the sherry he became mesmerized by the slow burning candle. Its flame had remained still meaning there was little wind – a warm evening. The sherry went down easy and he poured himself another.

 

“Jonathan as your wife I should be charged with the household servants including my own. It’s a great task to be dealing with both your office and this house. The home is my responsibility.” After all this while her aim was revealed.

 

His staff was quite happy under his stewardship and he would keep it that way.

 

“My dear it is not a strenuous task as you suppose it to be. I have Henderson and Mrs. Annabelle to assist. So far it has worked out perfectly.”

 

Having this conversation with his wife was like hanging clothes outside on a rainy day – there was no point.

 

Her countenance changed. She had failed in this first attempt. “I’m going to bed.” She stood and extended her hand. “Join me…”

 

“My dear…”

 

“Only to sleep beside me…please… I feel safer when you are beside me.”

Jonathan nodded his approval. Amy smiled wickedly. Let’s see if he will shy away from my advances again.