Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Doctor Who still ain't mine.  Just borrowin' for a spell...




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Observation1

Unflustered.  He liked that.  He liked that very much.  It was never good to meet someone who couldn’t handle the unexpected, and “Jones” didn’t have that particular affliction.  Even when he had played dumb by saying he hadn’t met her earlier that morning—even though he wasn’t lying, but there was no way she could know that yet—and received a condescending warning from her superior, she just apologized for her curiosity and continued with her task.  Inquisitive, compassionate, but firm bedside manner, her only goal to make sure her patients left better than when they had entered and remained that way.

The double hearts surprised her, given away by the widening of her eyes.  So dark, almost black, looking as if they’d been naturally rimmed with kohl.  They were shrewd eyes, taking in information so her brain could catalogue them in the appropriate places, but always open to new labels and possibilities.  He knew he defied categorization, and finally she was as taken with him as he was with her.  Intrigue was earlier; interest was now.

 

Observation 2

There was one thing she was certain she would get right on her exams, and that was the fact humans only had one heart.  This man . . . this “tie-man” who had most certainly been out and about earlier this morning, had two.  That just wasn’t on, and yet, this man, this very strange man was lying in her hospital grinning at her as if he didn’t know whether he wanted to laugh or show her how to untie pajama pants to round out that morning’s previous lesson.  Given what she knew about him so far, it would be fair to assume both.

 

Observation 3

He winked at her to assure her she wasn’t crazy, giving her confirmation despite the sniggers and smirks of her colleagues behind her.  She shook her head and stammered, clearly off kilter, but not so far off to know she shouldn’t let everyone else learn of her discovery.  Therefore, she hid his secret, offering her pride for his dignity as her superior used her as a scapegoat to bemoan the last months until his retirement.  Silly man; he should hope for more students like Jones.  There was more to being right than rattling off facts; one had to be willing to observe with more than just one’s five senses and trust a conclusion that seemed beyond the realm of logic.  Therefore, he was more amused than anything when he overheard her superior suggesting a psych consult for him.

 

Observation 4

She barely refrained from rolling her eyes at Stoker’s suggestion.  The patient Smith was odd, but he wasn’t insane, and she knew that instinctively.  However, she was a doctor, a scientist, and that meant she needed concrete evidence to support that claim.  She had no idea how she would procure that evidence, but she’d come back later after this go of rounds was over.  He had a lot of explaining to do, the least of which, ironically, about those two hearts of his.  His body was a cooler temperature than any human’s should be, and his eyes were a color brown that looked like liquid, smooth chocolate one saw on adverts.  They were also hiding something, some sort of knowledge he’d let her glimpse, and that wasn’t enough.  She would be back, and not the least bit because he was as cute as he was eccentric.

 

Observation 5

Humans:  so painfully predictable sometimes, so myopic; if it defies easy explanation, they summarily disregard and disremember it until dusted off as genius a few centuries later.  If only there were more humans like Jones.
She’d make a good doctor one day.  Didn’t hurt she was as stunning as she was competent.

Obserfation 6