Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

He's got a surprise...read on to see what! Chapter 8~ Enjoy!




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


"You have a choice of wraps, but your package comes with an aromatherapy massage, pedicure, and manicure. The facial comes with that too" explained the technician. "Mr. Santi asked that we take really good care of you" she continued. 

I beamed! That was the best surprise ever! He was surely making up for the inadequacies of the past two days. And the best part, Liz was 30 thousand feet in the air. My only care for the next few hours would be picking a nail polish. 

After my seaweed wrap and massage, I was served lunch and the facial immediately followed. 

"Ms. Mendes, there is a message for you."

"Really, thanks." I accepted the little envelope. In side was a card. 

[Hi sweetie, I hope you are enjoying being pampered. I will be out hunting with the guys. I am looking forward to joining you for dinner. Yours, Brian]

"Wow" was all I could say. I couldn't hide my joy. Yesterday the ladies had a group spa retreat and of course I wasn't included in that. It was something they had already planned. Appointments were tight. At most, all I could hope to get was a manicure/pedicure. I was sure those spa packages were expensive and hard to book at the last minute so I inquired on my way to the nail tech lounge.

"How much time in advance do you have to book these?" I asked.

"We usually ask that you order at least 2-3 weeks ahead so that all of your services are available" she responded. "Many of our guests know in advance when they book the trip and so they make their orders ahead of time. It's cost effective. You have to pay per diem for each service, but it's set up as a package." She continued.

I knew it had to be quite costly for Brian to pull this together at the last minute. I put my MP3 player on Anita Bakers playlist and reclined to enjoying the rest of my day. 

For a little while,
We know what heartache is 
And we feel the pain the world can sometimes bring
For a little while,
We cry in the night without a single song to sing
But one day all will change
There will be no more stormy rain
Then at last we will rest forever more

chorus:
So if you're in the valley (if you're in the valley now) 
And life is so unkind (life is so unkind)
And if your tears keep falling (if your tears keep falling)
From your tired eyes (from your eyes)
Your burden seem so heavy (your burden seem so heavy now)
And its hard to smile (so hard to smile)
You must remember (you better remember)
It's only for a while...

album cover

Lyrics: by Anita Baker, "Only For A While" from the Rhythm of Love CD.  

 

---

 

After dinner that evening, Brian and I had a Bailey's Crème. A storm was on watch and the lodge shut down the slopes. We all decided to meet at the karaoke bar. JT and Greg bought the first two rounds of drinks for everyone. Celeste and Kym excused themselves to go to the ladies room. I joined them. 

"So, what did you do today?" Kym asked me.

"I spent the day at the spa". I answered.
"That must have been expensive," Celeste chimed in.

"I wouldn't know." I returned.

"H mm." said Kym. "Well, you go girl!" she said, nudging my arm. "Brian is a great guy. He knows how to treat a lady."

"We went shopping for candles." Celeste interjected, and was so out of place. 

I guess she just had to insert herself into the conversation. I am sure she really didn't care to hear that Brian had obviously treated me to a fancy spa day. I wasn't trying to brag, but the nosy heifers wanted to know and I obliged them. Kym was always graceful. Celeste--that Liz hip attachment! 

"So are you and Brian dating?" Celeste asked. 
"Celeste!" Kym exclaimed. "That's not our business."

Damn right it wasn't. I was not about to explain something that Brian and I hadn't discussed yet. We were simply trying to reach other and doing it on our own watch. I liked Kym from go, but still she was Liz's friend too. She didn't know me from a can of paint. I wasn't discussing my business.

"Good girls, never tell." I replied.

We returned to the tables and I could see that Brian was tipping the emcee. Neil was up next to the mic and soon he was belting out: 

*You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.
You'd be like Heaven to touch.
I wanna hold you so much.
At long last love has arrived
And I thank God I'm alive.
You're just too good to be true.
Can't take my eyes off you.


He sounded pretty good. It was a great dedication to Celeste. The crowd and Pátron tequila was cheering him on: 

*I love you, baby,
And if it's quite alright,
I need you, baby,
To warm a lonely night.
I love you, baby.
Trust in me when I say:
Oh, pretty baby,
Don't bring me down, I pray.
Oh, pretty baby, now that I found you, stay
And let me love you, baby.
Let me love you.


"Ok. It's your turn man" Neil said to Brian.

"No, I won't do it. I will leave the balladeers to the mic". He said.

"Awe, c'mon man...you're not going to punk out are you?" asked Greg.

JT accused Brian of holding back because I was there. 

"I will sing with you." I offered.

Finally after a little more coaxing, Brian took a shot of tequila and jumped from his seat.

"I have never heard of this song, you?" 

"No, thank goodness we have the words." I grinned with uncertainty. But we gave it try. The music started...


**Chorus:
Everything I feel is you
Everything that's real is you
Everything within my view
All I see is you
Everything good that I do
Everything right and true
Wanna spend my whole life through
With you, with you



I was really getting into it and was feeling the words. There was an immense amount of passion put into every line. After we finished the song everyone was on their feet. Brian kissed me on the cheek and then our lips touched quickly. I was sort of stunned to silence. But it was fun. The last time I did that I was singing Shirley Bassey's "Hey Big Spender" at a piano bar on a cruise ship. That's another story.

*You're Just to Good to Be True lyrics originally scored by Andy Williams

**lyrics and music clip: All About You are courtesy of Renee Elise Goldsberry and Terron Brooks.  






Chapter End Notes:
Hope you get to listen to the tracks...gah Karoake is fun! Patron the cheer leader! Thanks for punching your ticket. Step this way.............................