Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Welcome to the next Chapter...and the other drama queen!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


One of the things that I have always loved about Brian was that he never let me drive home alone. If I did, he insisted that I call him the moment I was inside. And it was customary for us to check in with each other even if we didn't talk mouth to ear everyday. So when I made the attempt to reach him that evening and all I got was his voice mail, I was a little concerned. I hardly slept any way before the phone rang several hours into the morning. It was Brian. His mother had to be rushed to the hospital. 

"Do you need me to come there, to be with you?" I asked.

"No, it's late Nic and I don't want you out this late driving."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah, I really don't need to add to my worries tonight."

"Well how is she?" I asked. It seemed his mom had fallen trying to get out of the car. His dad was there, but they had been exchanging some words on the drive home and she didn't want his help up the stairs. Stubborn woman!

"I think she will just be here over night. The Ortho-Specialist will be in around 10 this morning. And we'll know more then," he added.

I called him the next day and I met him at the hospital. He had stayed over night. When I arrived Liz was there hovering of course. 

"She's such a nice girl" Vanessa lauding praises on Liz.

"Hi, Mrs. Santi, this is for you." I brought her a card and balloon. She thanked me but she was focused on the plant and the cannoli's, a Sicilian pastry that Liz brought her. I didn't know if it was her favorite or she was trying to show up my card and balloon. But again, I wasn't playing her game. 

"Brian, you really need to get some sleep honey, why don't you let Liz take you home." His mom suggested.

"Thanks, Liz, for offering but my girl is here to pick me up." Brian replied.

"Where, oh, Nikki...is it?" Liz interrupted.

"No, Liz, it's Nicole, all day, every day...Be well ma, Dad is coming right after work. If you need anything he said leave him a message on his cell and he would stop by the house and pick it up for you."

"That was rude, Brian." I whispered to him as we walked towards the elevators.

"You think? My ma needs to quit with the marionette strings. Liz is there for my mother. And with my sister away, I realize her dependence on Liz. But sometimes my mom needs to just pull back a little and stop encouraging Liz."

"Well have you discussed me with your parents?" I asked.

"They know that you are a special part of my life and my dad is my dad. He likes you, probably too much. But he wants me to be happy. He's a guy, you know."

"Well, he's a great dancer. You have his dimples and your mom's eyes." 
Brian had a sister in the military. I hadn't met her yet of course. But he talked so much of her. She went in right after graduation, determined to not let 'Vanessa' dictate her life plan. I supposed that Liz was her go-to daughter; who Vanessa could order around. Brian was to be the prize, I guess. But now that Brian and Liz were exes, his mom was constantly making a fuss over the wonders of Liz. 

"You want to get a latte?" he asked.






Chapter End Notes:
Hoped you enjoyed. Next chapter coming soon!