Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I like to call this Voice Mail Blues...Chapter 13.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Voice Mail: 
[Hey, Nicole. It's Brian. I have a little of a problem. I am at a meeting with my dad in Grand Blanc and my ma is getting an early discharge this morning. I was wondering if you could give her a ride. Well, since you aren't home, I will try to see if I can get her a ride. Thanks babe. I will try your cell. Have a good day.]

I checked the time stamp. "Oh my goodness!" I thought, and rushed out immediately to the hospital when I couldn't get Brian on the phone. And the info desk at the hospital couldn't give me any info. I was nervous, sweaty, from my workout but determined that If I could do this one thing for her, maybe she would soften up a little.

---

"Why are you here?" His mom shouted at me.

"I don't know Mrs. Santi, I got in from my workout and Brian said you needed a ride."

"He doesn't know, my daughter is on her way," she rumbled.

"Are you sure? Heyden is in the states?"

"No, my daughter Liz. He shouldn't have troubled you."

"It's really no problem." I offered. But she was stubborn. I didn't want to upset her any more than she was. And personally I didn't care to be driving 'Ms Daisy' any way. She seemed so sure of Liz's arrival, so I left. Not more than a few minutes after I got home from the store picking up groceries, I get another call from Brian wondering where his mom was. 

"Hey, sweetie!" I said.

"Did you get my message?"

"Yes. I did. I tried to call but I couldn't reach you. So I went over to the hospital. Your mom declined the ride. She said her daughter Liz was on the way and that I should go."

"Liz?"

"Yes, Liz!"

"Nicole, Liz isn't picking mom up. She's not in town. I just got a call from mom she took a cab home."

"A cab?" I said.

"Yes. The concierge called her a transport ride because she said no one showed."

"Brian, sweetie I was there. I didn't even stop for lunch. I headed right over to the hospital. I swear. Your mom said Liz was picking her up and she didn't want to trouble me."

"Well, babe, I got a call from dad. He said mom had reamed him out good about us leaving her without a ride and that she had to ride home with strangers."

"Oh, honey I am sorry for the confusion. She didn't want to ride with me, I guess."

"Don't worry about it. How was your day?"

Wow. Brian's mother was a brat. I couldn't believe she let me come all the way to the hospital to turn me away. And then was too proud to let me take her home. It was obvious she built too much stock in Liz and was disappointed that she didn't have her 'daughter' to ride her home. Brian didn't seem sincere when he asked me about my day. He seemed upset with me for leaving his mother hanging. I didn't know what he was thinking. But it was awkward. 

We had movie night the next night and he called to cancel. He said his mother had him running errands and he was too tired and didn't want to ruin the evening. "Ruin the evening?" That's something you say when you are having a date with someone you have just met. That's not what you say to someone who you have been intimate with, dating on the regular. Hell if he fell asleep, so what? Falling asleep is allowed. I just wanted him to be with me. I didn't care much about the movie or the damn popcorn. Now I was pissed. "Was he blowing me off?"

Well our conversations were not connecting over the next few weeks. He was busy at the dealership with his dad. I thought he was going to be teaching. He seemed to be spending more and more time at the dealership. So I thought I would call him up and take him to lunch. 

"Hi honey!"

"Hey, what's happening? Haven't heard from you in a few days."

"Well I haven't changed my number."

"Hello?"

"I am still here. I said I haven't changed my number."

"So what's that supposed to mean Nicole? I just was making an observation, babe."

"Look, Brian, we haven't spoken in a few days and I missed you. I thought I would invite you to lunch."

"I missed you too. I have been busy with my mom, and dad has me working at the dealership."

"Well do you get a lunch?"

"Yeah, I get to eat."

"Well?"

"Well what?"

"Brian, would you be available today...to join me for lunch?"

"Babe, I would love to, but I can't. I am swamped."

"Well, how about if I bring you lunch?"

"My dad sent out for delivery. So I am going to see what's in the service."

"Oh. Ok. Well it's not a big deal. I just wanted to see you."

"I want to see you too. We'll do something. Let me call you a little later."

"Sure." 

"Ok, I'll see you. Bye"

"Bye honey." I said,but so pissed! 

I missed him so much and was looking forward to seeing him. And he was acting so distant and cold. I know he was being pulled in two directions by his parents. But this was weighing on me because he wasn't saying anything. See that is why I never liked that dating thing. You start off all sweet, cuddly, and lusting for each other. Then you get hooked. Then you start with the phone tagging shit. I so hated that.

Peyton tried to reassure me to give Brian some space because he had a lot on his plate with school, work, and his parents pulling him every which way. I had given Brian plenty of space, for sure. Space is ambiguous. Her man was hundreds of miles away. That was really easy for her to say.     





Chapter End Notes:

Thanks for reading. Next Chapter up soon!