Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Dinner with the parents...welcome to Ch. 15.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


While I was out with Peyton, I didn't bother shopping. I wasn't going to buy anything special for the dinner with Brian's parents. It was a shame too, because I simply adored Mr. Santi, but his wife had been an uber-bitch to me, conveniently using her pain killers as the reason for her mood. Brian's dad had to live with that woman. Poor thing, he was so kind and wonderful towards me. I did however get a manicure because my nails were just ridiculous. For Brian and his dad, I would be on my best behavior. I was still a little vinegary over his mom's games. I was prepared in case she wanted to do battle.
We were seated at around 6:45 sharp at Andiamo's

"So Mrs. Santi, how are you doing?" I asked.

"Oh I am just fine. I am almost done with my PT." 

"That's fabulous. I know you will be glad to be done with the walking cast."

"Actually, I am already finished with it. I just keep it around in case I need the support."

Ok. Who was this woman and what did she do with Mrs. Santi? I was about throw salt over my shoulder when guess who appeared...like a bad penny.

"Hi, mother, dad, how are you guys...Brian?" Liz spoke in that whiney-assed voice.

"Oh, dear heart, I am really good. Thanks so much for asking. Why don't you join us?" offered Vanessa.

"No mom, I wouldn't think of imposing" said Liz...such a liar. She was dreaming of it.

"Mom, we made reservations. You can't just rearrange the seating." Brian interrupted.

"That's ok mom, I have reservations in the villa room." She leaned down to kiss Vanessa on the cheek on her way out. I was so going to be sick. This entire mom thing was well over baked. 

"She is such a peach. I just adore her." Vanessa chided.

There. The real Mrs. Santi, I knew wouldn't be away for long. 

"So, Brian tells me you are Cuban." Vanessa asked.

"Yes, my mom is Afro-Cuban and my dad was of Cape Verdean descent."

"Ah...Where is that?"

"It's a Portuguese colony off the coast of West Africa."

"Cuba is a long ways from Africa. How did they meet?"

"Actually both are U.S. citizens. They met on a cruise ship."

"Interesting, very interesting...so, where do your parents live now?"

"Well, my dad passed away when I was nine. My mom, she's here in Michigan. She lives in Down Town Detroit."

"Well, you must bring her over for dinner some time."

"Why thank you for the offer." Ok. Was there two Mrs. Santi's. This one was making me dry heave from her kindness. The other rude one was normal for me. Finally, I was saved by the waiter with our food. I thought I needed a pitcher of Long Islands.

"Did Brian tell you he has a sister?"

"Yes he did."

"Vanessa, let her eat." Mr. Santi asked.

"I am just trying to get acquainted. There is nothing wrong in that is it?"

"Van, the world wasn't created in one day." Mr. Santi replied.

I was glad that Mr. Santi brought her conversation to a stand still. I was so afraid I would puke in my plate if she kept showing me a modicum of kindness. I thought that we had seen the last of Liz also. No such luck.

"Well, mother can forgive me for not joining you this evening? You must let me make it up to you. How about we do shopping next week?"

And then the kisses commenced. I tried not to look. 

Liz was soon gone. And then it began. 

"Brian I really wish that you would be kinder to Liz. She is like family."

"Mom, I hold Liz in very high regard. She and I are friends."

"No offense to you, Nicole." Mrs. Santi said.

"None taken," I added.

"But, I don't understand, how two very much in love people just all of sudden fall apart. Liz is..."

"...a great family friend now, mom. And I ask that you not disregard Nicole. It's disrespectful the way you are going on and on about Liz. She and I are over. We are through. She has her life and I have mine."

"Nicole, you are lovely girl. Surely you can understand."

Both Brian and his Dad tried to hush her. But it was too late. The gate was open, the horse was out and she wasn't going to coaxed back in with a carrot. I stopped to put my fork down from the desert plate. There was no point in trying to ignore her. She had a point to make and it was likely going to be made. 

"What do I need to understand Mrs. Santi?" I asked.

"Nicole, you don't have to do this. Dad, we are leaving." Brian said.

"Van, how could you?" Mr. Santi said, embarrassed for them both.

"No, I want to know. What is it that I need to understand?" I asked again. I was upset but I was determined to be respectful.

"Brian you and Liz still love each other. You are with this girl because you feel sorry for her. It can't be love. It just can't be. Nicole you can find someone else. I know you lost your fiancé. But Brian isn't yours. It's selfish of you to put him through this..."

"Ok. That's it. Dad, we are leaving. Nicole babe, I apologize for my mother's behavior."

"No, wait a minute. You feel sorry for me?" I asked of Brian.

"Yes he does." Mrs. Santi interjected.

"Mom!"

By this time I was feeling the color of red.

"You two don't need to talk about this here," suggested Mr. Santi, and he rose from his seat begging his wife to take leave.

"You feel sorry me? Is that what you feel?" I asked Brian.

"Babe, that's not what I said. It's not I meant. My mother is out of line. You need to apologize mom." 

"Then tell me, what did you mean?" I asked.

"Nicole, babe, let's leave. We can talk about this in the car." 

"I will tell you." Mrs. Santi interrupted. "Brian was late to his engagement party because he was having dinner with you. He left his fiancée waiting. "

"Whaaaaaaaaaat? Mrs. Santi, first off Brian and I were friends and classmates back then. If Brian left his fiancée to have dinner with me, I didn't know that. And it's a problem you need to address with Brian." I said pointedly.

"He said that you had just lost your fiancé and he felt sorry for you and didn't think you should be alone when everyone else had cancelled. You should feel ashamed that you broke up two people on their way to being together. Liz was pregnant with your child Brian, how could you?" She continued her ramble her words through crocodile tears.

And as the water works commenced...

Can you say Academy Award performance? 





Chapter End Notes:
Hope you enjoyed! Thanks for reading! ;)