Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ah...boyfriend mama drama! Yell Welcome to Ch. 16.


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


When she realized that I wasn't falling into her trap the loser's circle folded and she pulled out the last ditch effort to turn the attention on herself. It was utter bullshit. I was royally pissed, surprised, and a little dumbfounded. Poor Mr. Santi was stunned into silence. He went to get the car and missed most of her performance. But I am sure she turns out one daily for him to get her way.

It was well past time to leave. Better yet, it shouldn't have had to come to this. In the car on the way home Brian was in a dead silence. The music was low enough to hear but it didn't overpower the deafening silence. 

"Everyone cancelled that day? Brian...that day we met at Mongos? Is that what your mother was talking about?" I asked.

"Nicole, I told you, Liz and I were over before you came into my life. Meeting you made me realize that I wanted something more. I wanted something great. I never lied to you. I wanted to spend some time with you. That day it was my engagement dinner. But I didn't want to be there. And I was honest with Liz from the beginning. She kept saying that it was cold feet. Her mom and my mom were not going to make me do something that I didn't want to do."

"Was she pregnant with your child?" I asked.

"No. Liz thought she was pregnant. I told her not to announce it until she was sure. She told my mom and it took on a life of its own. When the tests were negative, she wanted me to say that we were. I saw it as a sign that it was time to make it known that there wasn't going to be a wedding. I wasn't completely sure. So I took a break. I NEEDED A BREAK!" he yelled.

"Brian, I told you that I didn't want to be caught up in you and Liz's drama. And here I am now in a front row seat, with a bonus backstage pass." 

---

We arrived to my apartment and Brian put the car into park. He rubbed his eyes and ran his strong fingers through his thick hair and turned to look at me. 

"Nicole, I felt bad for you...sorry for your lost more than I should have...I suppose. But I don't pity you. You are one of the strongest women I have ever met. But when I found out about the death of your fiancé all I could think of was there would be a chance if I just hold you. That day in the conference room, I did. I told you that you would get through this and I would be there for you. I didn't do that because I felt sorry for you. I did that because I wanted to. My mother had no right to dump her issues with Liz and me breaking up on your lap. I apologize for her. But I am not excusing her behavior. She and Liz don't run my life." 

And at the moment he reached his hand out to my face he pulled me in for a passionate kiss that lasted for what seemed like days. We were steaming up the car windows like two teenagers. We needed to be together that night to reconnect in a way only two lovers could.

I didn't feel responsible for Brian and Liz's termination so I wasn't going to carry that burden. Brian was very passionate in his lovemaking that night. It was as if he had something to prove. I had long felt his love from the moment we first kissed at the ski lodge. A little reassurance is always good. Mrs. Santi had a boat load of drama and it seemed that Brian just got tired of the ladies in his life running the day to day of it, especially Liz. 

I wish that men would stop sleeping with women when they know their feelings have changed. But they just have to be men. Women are emotional creatures. Once we connect with a man sexually and learn the language he uses to convey his emotions, we are stuck on that frequency. As long as that frequency is tuned in, we think everything is ok. I love Brian, but if that was the mistake he made with Liz. I was surely not going to miss his tuner.

Several weeks had passed, and I was so relieved to not have had my mother meet Mrs. Santi. After that performance, mi mama would have said "Niki, tú puedes hacer mejor que mi hija" meaning I could do better than that. And likely I would have sided with her. There would have been no talking that night between me and Brian. Peyton was floored when I told her about it. She kept telling me that this relationship is about me and Brian and to consider it a mixed blessing that she wasn't up in our mix with both feet.

Yes. That was ok for a minute. But the reality is Brian's mother has been practicing those performances for years on Brian and his dad. She knows them and how to pull it out. Just like the day I was supposed to pick her up from the hospital and she sent me away and gave Brian the impression I left her there without effort. It wasn't long before he was under her spell with that. Liz shouldn't have been an issue. But she took up her fair share of our time even when she wasn't there. Mrs. Santi knew that she had a leg up on me where Brian was concerned. Brian would always give her a piece of his mind. And then later feel horrible for it. Naturally I would have to work through the silence with him. 





Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!