Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Nothing ventured...nothing gained. Lovely Charlotte, NC. Welcome to Ch. 20. Enjoy the read!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


[Flight 587 to Charlotte will now be boarding. Please have your boarding passes visible. Thank you.]

After seven whole days of tears and that stinky flu bug I was finally going to be getting away from Michigan. Brian made a few attempts to call me that evening and a day later. But I couldn't talk to him. Peyton dropped me off at the airport since she had a meeting nearby. By the time I got out of the car at the US Airways Terminal she was on Team Brian, and I had no supporters.

I wasn't feeling rational, I kind of knew that. But I was sick and tired. At any rate, I needed to pull myself together and fake it. This interview was one shot. One opportunity and I could get away from this ridiculous thought that I could actually find a love equal to that of the one Robbie and I shared. I never felt like I was losing myself with him. He gave me that constant feeling that if I was about to bug out over a test, or a financial aid issue, Robbie's few words and his energy would relax me. 

I was missing Robbie for the first time in months. I needed him and his kind wisdom. I needed to feel safe. I reached into my purse and pulled out the mizpah

[God watch between me and thee while we are absent one from another]

There was no question in my mind that his mom wasn't sold on me at first. But when she presented me with the other half of the charm necklace from Robbie's belongings, it gave me comfort in knowing that she respected our love. And now I was clutching it for some reassurance. I needed Robbie's energy to surround me and get me through this interview. Brian was hundreds of miles away. And that entire working of Liz and his mother was not going to take up residence in my thoughts.

I arrived at Charlotte-Douglass International right on time and drove the rental to the hotel where the interviews were being held. When I turned my phone back on I saw that Peyton had called me to offer her support and encouragement. She always knew what to say, but this time, I needed some stronger images. I needed Robbie.

Suffice it to say, the interviews were not running on schedule. I stood in line for two hours and finally was seated before a panel that included a rep from the district, a teacher, a principal, and a parent from the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school community association. A few weeks ago I had nothing to lose, but on that day everything was riding on that interview. I needed that job like I needed my period to arrive. I popped an ADVIL and went before the firing squad.

---

After I shook hands and left a copy of my resumé with a photo attached with each representative, I went to the bathroom to put some cold water on my face. It was over. 

The offer sounded promising. All I had left to do was finish school in December, send them a copy of my final transcripts, and wait for an offer. I was thrown by the fact that they were looking for applicants for the fall, and seemed a little put off by me not being available for at least another year. But at least I had a day and a half to enjoy the wonderful weather of Charlotte, N.C. 

---

"Can I get you something to drink, ma'am while you decide on your entrée?" asked the waiter. Sure, I was on a tight budget for this trip, but still I reserved a little to treat myself in case deli sandwiches and cookies in a boxed lunch would go stale.

"I will have a ginger ale." I was still feeling a little feverish. As much as I hated "auntie-flo" for her constant and annoying visits, she had by-passed me going on three weeks now, and I was starting to mourn her absence. Peyton had convinced me that it was stress, nerves, and a low resistance that was causing her delay. For some reason, she would always show up unannounced on vacations. 

I wasn't going to deny that Brian had crossed my mind. But every time I thought of how ridiculous he made me feel over Liz, I would cry a little and then brush the thoughts from my mind. I so longed for mi mamá's cooking. Instead I settled for a bowl of chicken chili, a salad, and nachos. I didn't want to eat too much because I couldn't predict if it would stay down.

After many days of not hearing from Brian, I was starting to miss him terribly. The excitation of the interview held me at bay but it seemed the moment it was over, I had nothing to consume my thoughts of Brian. I was upset with him and how slow he was to react to the nuisance of Liz. If I had answered his calls, it didn't mean that Liz was going away. I was tired of having to get around her. And his mother wasn't making things any better with her constant and annoying interferences in our lives.     





Chapter End Notes:
Homesick...thanks for reading. Next Ch. up soon!