Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So here's the next Chapter. Enjoy the read!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Feeling bloated and very unsexy, I declined Peyton's desire to try on bathing suits at Lohman's. If I dared, suicidal thoughts would ensue. For some reason, a hot cinnamon roll with hot lemon water was the cure, go figure! 

"So, we have been out, what...two hours now, and not one mention of Brian's name...what gives?" asked Peyton.

"Nothing gives, we are taking a break. I need to focus on my future, and Brian needs to get his priorities straight. I am getting tired of playing second violin to a two stringed banjo."

"Ouch! Sorry I asked." Peyton apologized.

"I didn't mean to snap at you. I am just stressed." I continued.

"Yeah, well at least you haven't lost your sweet tooth."

"I know. Sad isn't it? And yet I feel very comforted with my cinnabons. I'm a mess aren't I?"

"No, you are just love sick. You miss Brian, but you are not in the giving mood yet. I still think you should keep the communication open. I don't think it's a good idea to keep avoiding his calls Nicole."

I immediately started crying. 

"Oh, dear...I'm sorry. You know what you need? A distraction. Yes...let's see an action movie. Look, Enemy of the State is playing. Let's catch the last matinée."

Peyton and I bought tickets for the later matinée and continued to window shop until the movie started. Nothing was going to console me. My period was late and the thought of me being pregnant was making me heave. Brian and I had used protection every time except for the last. My period was about two days away and I thought I was safe. Silly me! If you play you pay. I wasn't going to tell Peyton until after I went to the doctor. Since I had a scheduled exam I would wait until that appointment to find out for sure.

The theater was crowded. We were a few minutes late but the starting credits hadn't rolled yet. The whole conspiracy theories and national security stuff had us on the edge of our seats from beginning to end. The isles were crowded upon exit and I soon realized it would take as long getting out of there as it was finding two adjacent seats. 

I had to piss like a Russian race horse and couldn't hold it. I wish I had. If I had only left, the next the sight wouldn't have been seen. There was Brian with an attractive younger woman standing at the concessions with Celeste and Neil. 

"Oh, no, tell me that isn't Brian? I think we need to go over and say hello." Peyton suggested.

"No. I think we should leave." But in that instant Brian turned around and our eyes connected for a few seconds. The young woman turned to see what had caught his attention. He saw me, I saw him. And that was enough.

"Let's go Peyton," I continued. Peyton glanced once more and in no time Brian had caught up to us. 

"Nicole...Nicole...wait!" Brian yelled.

I didn't expect him to behave this way. I didn't want a scene, so I slowed. Nothing that he could say was going to erase the image I had just witnessed. My ears were on but my mind wasn't processing.

"How have you been?" he asked.

"Good." I replied. I never asked him how he was because at that moment I didn't give a damn.

"I hadn't heard from you. I've been trying to reach you. Didn't you get any of my calls?"

"I have been busy with work, taking care of me." I returned.

"You must have been spoiling yourself because you look absolutely beautiful."

"I need to get going." I repeated, dismissing what I thought to be a careless attempt at flirting.

"Wait. We need to talk. Don't you miss me...a little?"

"I don't think there is anything left for us to talk about Brian. I think your words, or lack there of and your blighted actions are clear."

"From what I recall, you talked, and I let you. I am sorry that things were left that way. It wasn't my intentions but we need to sort this out."

"Look. There is nothing to sort out. You are free now. I don't know what I was thinking. And I was stupid to ignore my instincts, believing that there was something...that you were different." I argued, fighting back tears.

"There isn't a me with out you Nicole. It's all about you and only you." he countered.

"You keep saying that...and the more you say it the less I believe you. It's all about me? Well it seems that I fall way down on your list of priorities, and I have had enough. Now, if you don't mind, Peyton is waiting, and I need to get going." I was ready to punch something if I didn't get to the fresh air outside.

"Nicole, there has been a lot going on with my dad. He had a setback, a stroke. I thought you may have wanted to know. It was really scary there for a minute. We thought we were going to lose him."

"Oh, Brian, I am so sorry."

"It's been tough these past few weeks...nothing has been the same without you. I tried to call you. It wasn't something I wanted to leave on a voice mail."

"I am so sorry Brian. I didn't know. I guess this is coming a little late, but how are you holding up?" I asked.

(his female companion spoke) "Brian...the movie?"

"Just go on in. I will be there in a second," he replied. It seemed that Neil, Celeste, and the young brunette were heading for their seats with snacks in tow. 

"Look. I don't want to keep you." I offered.

"It's just the gang hanging out. It doesn't mean anything. I want to see you," he asked in a softer voice. "Call me, I really need to...we need to. Will you...call me?"

"Whatever."

"Please, babe." reaching for my hand.

"Brian, nothing has changed with us. Look I am sorry about your dad, but please, let me go."

And I walked through the lobby doors to the atrium where Peyton was waiting.

"Are you OK girl?" Peyton asked.

"No," I said sobbing. "But I will be."    





Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for visiting. I'm ducking the rocks. Aim for Brian...not me! LOL!