Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So it comes to an end. Thanks so much for your support with the story. I enjoyed sharing.  Here's the final installment. Wink


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Well, I received a call for a second interview with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg district who was offering me a position as a substitute teacher for the January 1998 semester. I had to turn it down because there was no way I could accept it and then two months later be on maternity-leave for six weeks. I couldn't imagine returning to work four weeks shy of the end of the term. That would be too disruptive. But considering it was a sub position, I was pondering the idea even after I declined the offer. Under different circumstances I would have accepted. The baby changed everything.

Peyton was going to be meeting me at the doctor's office for my first baby photo. My doctor was running late...he had a delivery. So instead I saw a resident. 

I got undressed and climbed onto the table. I was beginning to get excited to see my first ultrasound that my palms were sweaty. 

"The doctor will be in shortly Ms. Mendes" said the nurse.

I could hardly lay still. I closed my eyes and placed my right hand on my belly and giggled. I was actually going to be some ones mother. I guess fear will elicit all kinds of emotions.

"Peyton couldn't make it." A familiar voice spoke from the door. "I was thinking, you must have been really upset with me...so upset that you forgot to tell me about this appointment. So I am going to wipe the slate on this one."

Yes. It was Brian. It seems that he and Peyton had been doing more talking than I was to either of them.

"If you don't want to discuss me and you then let's talk about our baby. A child needs two parents. And I plan to be in its life." His voice growing closer.

I couldn't even respond before the technician, came in. "So are we ready to see your baby?"

"Yes." We both said at the same time and looked at each other.

"Well, let's not keep you waiting any longer...ok ...you are going to feel something cold...ah...ok. Here we are. Oh my!"

"What is it?" Brian asked.

"Everything ok?" I repeated.

"Oh...everything...just fine. One baby has legs...wide open. Looks like a boy unless something falls off." He chuckled in a thick Mediterranean accent. 

After a few minutes of trying to search the sex of baby B, it was conclusive that this one would be a surprise. 
---
Brian couldn't stop looking at the ultrasound photo as we sat in the patient waiting area for my next appointment. I couldn't stop looking at the beautiful arrangement of flowers he handed me.

"Brian" 

"Nicole" 

"No, you go first." He offered.

"I just wanted to say I am sorry for not telling you I was pregnant."

"I still can't believe it. This has to be the best news I have had in weeks." He said. "I knew something was wrong with you the day you came to the dealership upset." He continued.

"I didn't even know then. I found out weeks later."

"You don't have to apologize for not telling me. I know that eventually you would have told me. I am just glad that it was sooner than later that I found out. Peyton didn't think she was giving me any news. She was just congratulating me. It was hard to contain myself. I was upset at first. But I wasn't going to keep giving you reasons to stay away." 

"I didn't know what to do. I was scared...I mean look at us Brian, we are about to be parents and we don't even have full time work...and..."

"We don't need full time work Nicole. Right now, you and this precious cargo... is all I want you to focus on...nothing else." He exclaimed, touching my abdomen. "I love you, and love these babies. There is nothing in this world I wouldn't do for you or our family." he said, lovingly and tenderly. 

For the first time in weeks, there was a sense of clarity to all of the chaos. 

---

Brian and I stopped for Chinese take out and then went back to my loft. We had dinner and talked...really talked in a way that we hadn't done in a long time. He didn't overwhelm me with hasty plans for our future or make any abrupt demands like a quickie marriage. He simply kissed me passionately on the neck and cleared the table. 

"I'm not helpless, you know?" 

"Did I say anything?" He returned.

"No, but don't you think you are being a little overly careful with me? I mean first you were adamant that I was driving too fast, and insisted that I follow you...to my house. And then you asked me to sit, while you set the table, and now you are clearing the table. You know I am not helpless sweetie, just pregnant."

"The doctor said you need to get plenty of rest. I want to make sure you get that. I will be here a lot too, so you might as well start getting used to it." He said before planting another kiss on my cheek.

"Oh, dear..." I sighed.





Chapter End Notes:
I want to thank all the readers who visited, read, and left wonderful reviews. It was first completed fic.  I hope you enjoyed reading.  Stay tuned for many more stories to be told. Their story is not yet complete.  I have a few prequels and sequels.  I predict there could be at least 5 more stories from this large and ever expanding cast. ;-)