Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer


- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Also: "All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended." Trust me - I would NOT have let Heroes go down that route if I did own it. Damn shame what happened to that series.




Author's Chapter Notes:

This is my second attempt at Heroes fan fiction as well as my second with this pairing - and my first at fluff. This was originally posted in my LJ account, and I finally worked up the nerve to post it here. Constructive criticisms are welcome. That's the only way I'll get better at this.

 

Also, lots of love and mega-thank yous to my friend LeatherGlos for the summary verse.  Amen for her and Shakespeare; they saved my heine tonight.




Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


She lay in the bed, but sleep came to her in small bits before vanishing once more.  She shifted positions and sighed, trying to get some sleep but clearly wasn't. She knew why, long before she rose from the bed, long before she glanced at the digital clock on the side table with a shake of her head and followed the sound of clanking keys emanating from the kitchen counter. Mohinder was up again, working on Lord only knows what (she had given up trying to understand the nitty-gritty where his work was concerned) at 2:37 in the morning.  Even before she quite reached him, Monica could see the exhaustion burning in his eyes, their blood shot state visible through the lens of his glasses and illuminated by the dim light of the laptop's screen. 

She stood watching him as he worked, and he finally sensed her.  He smiled tiredly at her, not quite the mega-watt smile he gives normally, but it's still enough to make her heart swell and her mouth smile in return.

"I'm sorry, Monica." The smile turned sheepish, and she almost laughed at how boyish he looked. "Did I disturb you?  I thought working in the kitchen would be less of a disturbance, but..."

Monica shook her head and moved to his side of the kitchen counter, and looked at him with a tilt of her head.

"No, doc, it wasn't that." He grinned at his nickname, his eyes fixed on her but his fingers still resting on the keyboard of his laptop. "I can't sleep knowin' you're still up when we both know you're just as tired as I am.  Maybe even more."

Mohinder sighed, his head slumped forward as he reach with a hand to rub his eyes from under his glasses. Even though he was clearly exhausted, it showed in every part of his body, for Pete's sake, Monica could also see that he was trying to fight it for as long as he could.  She was worried for him, and more than a little pissed at the state he was working himself into, but now was not the time for nagging.  Still, she wasn't leaving this kitchen without him taking his place on his side of the bed.

"I am tired, but I'm trying to find a breakthrough with this particular problem and I know it's right there." He issued a frustrated sigh as he glanced from Monica to the laptop screen. The annoyance was highlighted on his face.

Monica placed a comforting hand on his shoulder as she slowly moved in front of him, effectively blocking the laptop from his view and reach.  Mohinder's hands hovered for a moment before finding themselves slightly above Monica's knees.

"Do you think you can solve or find what you're looking for in the next five minutes?" She asked, placing her wrists on his shoulders, linking her hands behind his neck in a loose—yet loving—half-hug.

Mohinder chuckled dryly as he looked into her eyes. "Not even if I drank all the coffee in the cupboards.  Or in the whole building even."  One of his hands had slowly moved along her leg to her hip, his fingers lightly strumming the draw-string on her pyjama bottoms.

The skin beneath his fingers awakened at his slight touch, but Monica willed the feeling away.  Now wasn't a good time for that, not when her doc was making himself a wreck.

"Then whatever it is can wait 'til morning.  No excuses." She said pointedly, her eyes daring Mohinder to contradict her.  He knew better than to try verbally, his fingers leaving the drawstring to trace a slow line where the waistband met the barest hint of her skin.  "You need your sleep, doc.  Whatever it is will be easier to find when you're eyes aren't about ready to fall out."

His chuckle this time was filled with humour, but it gradually passed as Monica carefully removed his glasses from his face, then leaned forward. He closed his eyes instinctively, mere seconds before Monica slowly and gently placed a loving kiss on each of his eyelids. He sighed deeply; his head raised to give her better access, while his hand moved to rest on her waist.  His fingers inched under her tank top as Monica placed another kiss on the bridge of his nose before resting her forehead on his.  Her hands found their former resting place behind his neck as she whispered, "Now will you come to bed?"  Her voice was low and sweet, and he couldn't refuse her anything at this moment.

He reopened his eyes and smiled at her, still tired but very much filled with warmth.

"Care to lead the way?"