Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


John McBain & Natalie Buchanan

"What exactly are you doing?" John repeated his tone still sharp.

“What is this John?” Natalie ignored his question as she allowed her eyes to glance over more contents of the box. Her eyes sweep over the picture he and Evangeline took at Nora’s wedding to Daniel. She saw the flier of Evangeline when she won the Woman of the Year award. His Mother’s pearls he gave Evangeline for her birthday, but after they broke up she gave them back. She saw two ticket stubs for which she was sure were for an Eagle’s game. John would never keep tickets for the ballet or a play. She frowned when she saw two strings. “John, what is this?”

She pushed to her feet allowing the safe box to turn over. His eyes watched as the items sprawled to the floor. A part of him felt like Natalie had turned his world upside down again, but he brushed it off.

“It’s like Caitlin. How could you keep these things of Evangeline under the bed you been making love to me in?” She pointed the napkin into his face.

John grabbed it and walked over to his dresser. She watched as he gently placed it on top. She could tell he was trying to make sure it didn’t get damage.

“How often do you read that note?” She questioned as she observed how his fingers lingered on it. Her eyes burned with her tears. “How often do you read it, so you can believe Evangeline still loves you.”

John turned and glared at her. She knew he was trying to warn her not to go in the direction she was headed, but she was feed up. For a year she had been sleeping with him, waiting for him, and believing in him only to find out he hasn’t let go of another woman. She went through this the first time around with him when he couldn’t let his memories of Caitlin go, but this she couldn’t handle. Caitlin was dead, and Evangeline is very much alive…very much alive.

“You never got over Evangeline breaking up with you?” She stepped closer to him and looked up at him as he just glowered at her. “Do you still love Evangeline?”
When he softened and looked away, Natalie knew the answer to her question. She closed her eyes to block the vision of guilt she saw on his face.

“John…I asked you before if you ever thought about her.” She laughed nervously. “You never did answer. You have this tendency to avoid questions.”
John glanced at her then looked away again.

“I never allowed myself to fully accept the fact that she broke up with you.”
“Natalie. Don’t do this.” John wiped the tears off her face.

“Don’t. I need to do this.” Natalie pushed his hand away and turned to look at the pile of Evangeline’s memories on the floor. Her eyes focused on the pearls. “I remember the day she gave you back the pearls. It was the night we were kidnapped. I was so happy to see she gave them back to you. Marcie told me they belonged to your mother.” She wiped some tears from her cheek. “Knowing Evangeline she probably told you to give them to me because you were so in love with me…but she was wrong.” She turned back to him. “Everyone has been wrong right John.” His blue eyes met hers.

“Hayes and Evangeline thought you were so in love with me.” She sighed. “You tired to tell me at your apartment. You told me I wasn’t your soul-mate.”

“Natalie stop this!” John demanded as though he was talking to a child.
“Why John?” Her eyes were red from the tears. “Why should I? You have been using me as a stand in for Evangeline the past year…haven’t you.”

“Natalie, if I didn’t want to be with you, I wouldn’t have been.”

“If Evangeline came to you now and said she wanted you back, would you leave me for her.” Natalie watched as John’s eyes traveled to the floor and he whispered his reply. “Evangeline is with Cristian now.”

“Yes!” Natalie barked. She couldn’t believe this. This morning when she woke up her life was so perfect and now it was falling apart. Natalie was overwhelmed with this familiar feeling. The last time she felt like this was when her marriage to Cristian ended. Something snapped inside of her, and she growled out this fact for John McBain. “I was there when Evangeline was begging you to tell her how you felt, and you couldn’t. I know first hand Cristian doesn’t have a problem telling or showing the woman he loves how he feels.” John watched as Natalie waved her right hand in the air nonchalantly. “Cris is a wonderful artist, and he has the ability to bring any woman’s dreams to reality.”

Her words pierced through his heart and before he could stop himself he blurted out. “For the record, Evangeline has never had to beg for anything in her life.”

John growled as he realized it was still in him to defend Evangeline. He became livid when he fully let Natalie’s word sink. The day she pointed out was the same day Evangeline broke up with him because Natalie misunderstood what he said to her. Natalie watched as John placed his hands on his hips and turned his lips up.

She knew her last statement pushed his patience over the edge, but the ice-cold look in his blue eyes didn’t scare her. “And, as I remember, I would not have been faced with the dilemma of having to tell her how I felt if you didn’t go running around town telling people I said I loved you.”

“John, you did!” Natalie screamed looking up at him. “No! No! No, I didn’t Natalie. I said you were someone I loved.” John spun around not wanting to face the hurt he saw in her eyes. She wanted the truth and for once he had to be man enough to tell her. “I told you I wasn’t your soul-mate, Natalie. I told you I couldn’t be your soul-mate. But, all you heard was what you wanted to hear.”

John’s tone softened as he turned back to face her with his hands still on his hips and eyes locked to the floor. “Evangeline told me she could find a man that was more open with his feelings. Someone who could tell her he loved her, but that man wouldn’t be me!” He glanced at her as the tears streamed down her cheeks and her eyes shone hopelessness.

John found himself turning away from her instead of pulling her in his arms. The last time he made Natalie cry with the truth about his feelings, he pulled her into his arms and apologized. Evangeline had walked in on them, and he lost all chance he had with her again. He glanced at the door as though he was willing Evangeline to be there.

“Ohmigod!” Natalie’s lips turned up in disbelief as she finally realized what she wouldn’t let herself accept that day. “You are in love with Evangeline.”
John faced her and didn’t answer. A year ago when she asked the question, he told her that it was none of her business.

“Have you been waiting for Evangeline to come back?” Natalie covered her stomach as though the thought actually made her sick. She moved back and went into a hysterical sobbing.

“No.” He grabbed her gently. “Natalie, you’re blowing all of this out of proportion.”
“John, please tell me you don’t still love Evangeline.” She held her breath for what seemed like eternity and when he started to speak, she pulled away. “How stupid could I have been? I have forced myself into your life, and now I’m asking you to profess your love. Stupid, huh?” She turned from him and looked up at the ceiling as she willed John to tell her what she wanted to hear.

“Natalie, you didn’t force yourself into my life.” He whispered.

Natalie sighed then turned around to focus on the man she was in love with. She was finally starting to see reality. She was finally seeing the truth about her relationship with John McBain. It was a lie. Rex, Vicki, Layla, Evangeline, and Roxy were right about him…about them.

“John, you invited Evangeline into your life, but for me I had to invite myself.” She started pacing. “What are you talking about Natalie?” He frowned.

Natalie glanced at John and knew the puzzled look on his face was genuine. John was often clueless when it came to relationships and his lover’s feelings.
“With Evangeline you demanded she bring some things over to your place.” She glimpsed over at the closet. “With me I had to suggest I bring a couple things to your place.”

“Nat….” He started to comfort her, but she cut him off.

“No, John.” She wiped some tears off her cheek. “It’s time I face facts. With Evangeline, you never had a problem with PDA, but with me it’s a big deal.”

She studied him then asked. “Is that because you never wanted her to see us kissing again after the first time…at the police station. If I remember correctly, you went running after her then.” She peeked over at the picture of John and Evangeline at Nora’s wedding on the floor.

“You never had a problem with me seeing you and her kissing, holding hands…or anything else.”

“Natalie…” He tried again finishing her name but not able to finish his sentence.

“I remember on Valentine’s day of last year. She sung her love to you. You were completely intoxicated by her. I knew you loved her then. I could see you loved her.” She choked on her words. “I…John, why couldn’t you love me like that. Why can’t you love me like that?”

Evangeline Williamson & Cristian Vega

Evangeline glanced at Layla then at the door Cristian just exited out of. She sighed then turned to clean up the kitchen.

“Sis, you’re not going after him.” Layla asked knowing the answer. She wasn’t quite sure what to say to her big sister.

“Layla, I wouldn’t know what to say to Cristian right now.” Evangeline placed the empty milk carton back into the fridge then put the bowl of eggs into the sink.

Layla frowned. She never has seen her sister so absence minded.

“And, I wouldn’t have to worry about going after him if it wasn’t for you and your big mouth. Now, would I.” She turned around and faced her little sister in anger.

“Excuse me.” Layla rolled her neck and crossed her arms in front of her chest. “Let me get this straight.”

Evangeline narrowed her eyes at the younger Williamson as she watched Layla uncross her arms and walk around the island towards her.

“You!” Layla pointed at her as she tilted her head. “Sleep with a man WHO YOU AREN’T IN LOVE WITH and get pregnant. And, it’s some how my fault? Come on Vangie.” She finished with a laugh.

“Come on what Layla. It’s like when we were kids.” Evangeline snapped using her hands to express her feelings and sarcastically laughing. “You were always around to run your big mouth. That is how Mommy and Daddy found out about my first kiss, me sneaking out the house, and….let’s not forget.” Evangeline glared at her sister. “That is how Daddy found out I took his car for a little test drive and hit the fence. Every time I needed to keep something private, you are always around to let it slip out of your big mouth.”

Layla gasped then rolled her eyes. She couldn’t believe this. Her sister had finally lost her mind.

“First of all Evangeline, you need to let the fence incident go. It happened when you were…what…fourteen, and Daddy is gone.” Layla stepped into her sister’s face. “And, as far as me having a big mouth, I’m not your problem. You can vent on me, but it won’t change the fact. You are not in love with Cristian Vega.” She smacked her lips, placed her hands on her hips, and continued. “AND, you are pregnant with his child.”

Evangeline heaved a sigh then her eyes watered. She couldn’t believe how she was acting. Layla was right, and Evangeline knew it. If she were in the courtroom instead of standing in front of her littler sister, she would have never conceded and murmured “I know. I know.”

Layla’s eyes started watering too in spite the fact she was heated with her sister. She hated when Evangeline called her a big mouth. She couldn’t help it if people always seem to eavesdrop or listen when she talked.

“Sis, I know you are scared. It’s going to be okay.” Layla wrapped her arms around her sister and hugged her. “We’re Williamson remember, and we will get through this.”

“Layla…” Evangeline embraced her sister tightly. On this rare occasion, Layla was the stronger one. “I don’t know what I am going to do.”

“I do.” Layla pulled back and stared into the older Williamson puzzled face. “I’m going to call Amy and have her reschedule your appointments for today, and you are going to take a bubble bath.”

Evangeline smiled knowing her sister believed Calgon could really take all your problems away. But, the older Williamson knew better. She couldn’t be like her sister and brush her problems to the side. It wasn’t her style.

“A bubble bath is not going to fix my problems Layla.” Her smile disappeared.

“No, but, you will feel less stress about them.” Layla beamed then led her sister towards the kitchen door. “Now, go run your bath water while I call Amy. You can still do your Evangeline thang and analyze this problem to death. Just do it in the comfort of a hot bath of bubbles.”

Evangeline laughed then gently touched her little sister’s face. Layla could be so amazing at times.

“You’re right, Anisa.” Evangeline chuckled when Layla wrinkled her nose at her sister use of her middle name. Layla shared the same middle name as their mother and didn’t like the reminder that deep down she and her mother were a lot alike. Her father and Evangeline always told them that, but mother and daughter never saw it. “If you will call Amy for me I would really appreciate it. I am going to take a shower, then I need to go find Cristian.”

“You’re going to talk to Cristian.” Layla surprise was genuine.

“Yes.” Evangeline pushed some hair behind her ear. “I need to face this head on. I…” She wiped her nose with her finger. “I can’t hide in a bubble bath. I need to talk to Cristian.”

“Okay, sis.” Layla watched as her big sister left the room.

An hour later, Evangeline walked into Rourke’s gym and found Cristian working out on the heavy bag. Antonio was holding the bag for him. She scanned the room for Vincent, his manager and Ted, Vincent’s right hand man. She was relieved when she didn’t see them and noticed only two other boxers working out.

Cristian glanced over at her and she smiled weakly when he stopped and stared at her. Antonio slowly turned his head to see what captured his brother’s attention. She started towards them and heard Antonio make his good-byes.

“Hi, Evangeline.” Antonio greeted politely as he moved pass her.

Hey, Antonio.” Evangeline answered not taking her eyes off Cristian who was taking off his gloves and looking away from her. She wondered if he mentioned the possibility of her being pregnant to Antonio, but she decided against asking. She wanted some more important information from Cristian right now. She waited until he started on his hand wraps. “Hey…I…I”

Cristian glanced up and couldn’t help but smirk when he realized his lover was stuttering. The brilliant attorney, Evangeline Ella Williamson was at a lost for words. She battled and played with words daily and now she couldn’t say any to him.

“Cristian, I want…” Evangeline sighed then covered her forehead. She laughed nervously and blurted out. “I need to talk with you.”

“Talk…I don’t know what good it’s going to do.” Cristian hardened when he recalled the question Layla asked her sister and the reply that was given. Evangeline didn’t want this baby that meant he didn’t have a say in what happens to his child. His lover was a stubborn lady, and if she made her mind up about what she wanted to do, he doubted his ability to change it.

“Please, Cristian.” Evangeline reasoned knowing this was going to be hard enough without him expressing his attitude. She sighed again inside. Okay. She had to handle this like a case. She needed to know all the facts. Cristian over heard her conversation obviously because he was pissed, but how much of it did he hear. She stared at him as she decided how she was going to proceed. “I am not sure what you over heard. But, it’s not how it sounded.”

“Evangeline, Layla asked you if you were going to keep this baby. Our baby.” He finished taking his hand wraps off, turned, and threw them at his gym bag. “You told her you didn’t know. I think your mind is made up.”

Evangeline closed her eyes and said a silent pray. She was so glad he had turned his back to her and didn’t see the relief on her face. He walked in on the end of their conversation, so he didn’t hear Layla’s other question. She could work with this. She could handle and fix this with the truth.

“Cristian, my mind isn’t made up about anything.” She confided the fear apparent in her voice. “I’m scared to death. I wish I had time to process this before bringing you in on it, but thanks to my big mouth sister, I didn’t.”

Cristian whirled around and grabbed her arms gently. “Evangeline, you shouldn’t have to process this alone. We are in this together.”

She smiled when his brown eyes softened along with his facial expression.

“We did this together.” Cristian’s face shone with love. “We created a baby with our love.”

Evangeline gasped, and Cristian noticed she started shaking slightly.

“Cris…” She pulled away from him nervous. She repeatedly told herself this was a bad idea as she turned. She should have taken the damn bubble bath that Layla suggested.

She glanced around the gym and found they were alone now. She wasn’t sure when the other two boxers left, but she was somewhat glad they did.

“Evangeline, I love you. I love this baby you are carrying.” Cristian’s voice revealed his fear and confusion. “I know this is overwhelming for you, but I am happy about it. I want this baby, and we will have a problem if you don’t.”

Evangeline slowly turned and studied him for a second. She couldn’t believe Cristian Vega was given an ultimatum. Before she could rationale her reason, she narrowed her eyes and countered. “Cristian, don’t you think it would be logical to get a positive test result before you start given ultimatum.”

“Don’t go all lawyerly on me Evangeline.” Cristian ordered. “You and I both know you are pregnant.”

“Do we?” Evangeline waved her hand as she decided to give Cristian what he accused her of. She was tired of the fact that every time she expressed an opinion, which didn’t line up with his, he accused her of being lawyerly like. What the hell was that anyway? She was a lawyer…a damn good one. It wasn’t all she was, but it was who she was. “Cristian, the only facts I know is that I’m two weeks late, and I think I may be pregnant.” Her sarcastic manner wasn’t lost on him. “I’m not a doctor and neither are you.”

When he didn’t reply, she added in an irritating tone. “And, why do you always make that comment about me going lawyerly every time I disagree with what you say?”

“Okay, Evangeline.” Cristian crossed his arms in front of his chest. “You are right. We need to find out if you are pregnant or not.”

She stared blankly at him.

“Let’s go get a test and go to my loft.” His words showed no emotions. “Then, we will have a positive or NEGATIVE fact to discuss.”

She sighed again when he grabbed his gym bag and stormed towards the door.


Layla Williamson & Adriana Cramer


Layla and Adriana walked into Angel Square diner. They sat at the first booth, which was surprisingly available. Layla sat with her back to the door. Adriana was still dealing with her anxiety from being stalked for months and kidnapped for a couple of weeks. She was refusing therapy saying all she needed was Rex and to get away from her crazy mother.

“Layla thank you for meeting me on short notice.” Adriana said smiling at the waitress who walked up.

“No, problem.” Layla smiled up at the waitress who asked if she could take their order. “Yes, I want a chef salad, no cheese, no dressing, vinegar on the side, and extra celery. Thanks.”

“And to drink.” The waitress asked not showing any effect from Layla’s special order.

“Water. Bottled not tap.” Layla looked at Adriana who was smiling at her.

“My order will be simple.” Adriana shared a smile with the waitress.

“What?” Layla asked clueless. Evangeline always made it seem like she was unreasonable with her ordering too when they went out to eat.

“Nothing Layla.” Adriana tilted her head for a moment then ordered a sweet tea and veggie salad.

Layla waited till the waitress had walked away then turned her attention to her best friend. “So, what is going on with you?”

“I wanted to know if you were still thinking about moving out of Evangeline’s condo and into your own place.” Adriana continued when her best friend raised her right eyebrow. “I can’t live with my mother, and I don’t want to live with Rex. I have been staying at the Palace, and it’s getting old.”

“Wow, so the rumor about Dorian having something to do with the stalking and kidnapping is true?” Layla questioned.

“I don’t want to talk about that.” Adriana stated flatly then straightened when the waitress walked up with their order.

When the waitress walked away after asking if they needed anything else, Adriana finished. “I need a roommate. Not a therapist.”

“Well…” Layla grabbed a celery stick and bit it. “I think I might be able to help you.”

“Really, you will be cool about moving in together.” Adriana beamed as she poured dressing over her veggie salad.

“Yeah, I was thinking about it seriously before Evangeline had her accident and was blinded.” Layla poured some vinegar on her salad. “And, now with the baby coming Evangeline is not going to have space for her little sister.”

“Baby?” Adriana questioned then stuffed some salad into her mouth.

“Yeah, Evangeline is pregnant with Cristian’s baby.” The youngest Williamson answered matter of fact.

“Evangeline is pregnant?” A husky voice asked from behind them.

Adriana looked up and smiled at John McBain while Layla closed her eyes and cursed herself. Evangeline was going to kill her. Her sister’s words from earlier rushed into her mind. “Every time I needed to keep something private, you are always around to let it slip out of your big mouth.”

Layla turned around and locked eyes with Detective John McBain, her sister’s ex-boyfriend.