Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Evangeline Williamson & Nora Hansen

Nora opened the door and frowned when she saw her best friend standing there with a brown paper bag.

“Evangeline, what are you doing here? I thought we agreed to meet in the morning.” Nora stepped aside to let Evangeline in; even though, she questioned why her friend was there.

“Nora, I need you to hold my hand after I pee on this stick that will determine if my life is over.” Evangeline held up the brown paper bag for Nora to see as she rushed into the house. “I couldn’t do it with Cris in case it’s positive.”

Nora stood dumbfound with her front door open looking at a frantic Evangeline.

“Nora, I can’t be pregnant.” Evangeline ranted as she walked over to the couch and sat down. “I mean. What will I do with a baby and a man I’m not in love with? I mean I just got things back to where I’m completely in control of things. And, this…I can’t deal with this.”

“Evangeline, have you been drinking?” Nora asked while she shut the door.

Evangeline glanced up, frowned, and then answered, “No.”

Before Nora could say anything else, Evangeline supplied. “Nora, I think…. There is a chance.” Evangeline sighed then glanced around the room. “Where is Matthew?”

“He’s with Bo for the evening.” Nora smiled then walked over and joined her friend on the couch.

“Everything will be okay.” The popular DA tried soothing her friend as she sat beside her and wrapped her arms around her. “How late are you?”

“Two weeks.” Evangeline placed her head on Nora’s shoulder and allowed herself to be comforted.

“Well, I think we should go ahead and do this test, so we can get a verdict.”

“Verdict?” Evangeline smiled weakly. She loved Nora’s corny sense of humor. They were two lawyers who loved their jobs and being on opposite sides of one another. Nora was a District Attorney while Evangeline was a Criminal law attorney.

“Hey, in this house we use lawyer terms.” Nora grabbed the brown paper bag and opened it to reveal a pregnancy test. “Okay kiddo. Go pee on this stick so we will know if Cristian is going to be your baby daddy.”

“Baby daddy?” Evangeline questioned with a smile at Nora’s attempt to be hip.

“Yeah.” Nora said proudly. “I can get with the current slang. I do my research lady. That is what makes me a great lawyer.”

“So…that will make you Bo’s baby momma.” Evangeline teased as she smiled at the older lady.

“Go pee on the stick so we will know if you gonna be Cris’s baby momma!” Nora waved her friend off. “For the record, I was married to Bo, so I can’t be his baby momma. I’m Matthew’s mom and Bo is his dad.”

“Hence, you are Bo’s baby momma. Marriage or not.” Evangeline stood laughing and grabbed the bag.

Fifteen minutes later Evangeline was holding the pregnancy test stick while Nora looked over her shoulder.

“It’s negative.” Evangeline glanced over her shoulder for a confirmation.

“Yes, it’s negative.” Nora confirmed and walked over to sit beside her friend. “Some women can’t get a positive test with a urine sample. You might be one of those that need a blood test.”

“You think?” Evangeline questioned as she placed the stick on the brown paper bag and searched for the test box. “I know I followed the instructions right. Maybe, it’s negative because I’m not pregnant.”

“Maybe, your friend is late because of stress.” The Llanview DA tried to comfort. “It happens to million of women.”

Evangeline looked up and frowned at Nora then reasoned. “I have been stressed more than I care to remember in my life, and I have never been late. I mean. I had to carry the weight of an innocent man being put to death. I’m always on time.”

“Not this time. And, I wouldn’t use the adjective honest to describe Todd Manning.” Nora ribbed then reached for the test box on the coffee table. She smiled as Evangeline handed the box over. “These test aren’t one hundred percent anyway.”

“Well, I am about one hundred percent sure I am pregnant. I can’t believe it.” Evangeline snatched the box playfully because she didn’t like Nora’s first comment. Not this time. She could let her get away with the Manning joke. “I mean. John and I took risks when it came to sex all the time, but Cristian and I were always careful.”

“Risks?” Nora questioned knowing her friend had a wonderful lover in the local Llanview detective.

“Yes. I mean. Our first time was in Mary’s basement. At Todd’s wedding that never happened we did it in the Palace elevator. Before he took me to my Aunt’s funeral, we did it in my office.” Evangeline looked up to find a smiling Nora studying her. “Never mind! The point is we took risks. I can’t believe this will happen with Cristian and now.”

“You said you weren’t in love with Cristian. Where did that come from?” Nora became serious. “When did you realize this?”

“Nora, I can’t explain, but when I realized I could be pregnant…” Evangeline bite her bottom lip. “It’s like something awakened in me. Reality hit me like a TKO...no pun intended.”

Nora watched as her friend ran her hand through her long dark hair and stood.

“When I was with John, I needed to hear the words so bad. Then, Cristian said them to me….” Evangeline turned and looked at Nora hopeless.

“You fell in love with the words?”

Evangeline nodded then looked up at the ceiling. “I have made a mess of things. I know Cristian loves me with all his heart.”

“Well, Cristian always did fall hard.”

Evangeline frowned at Nora then stared at the coffee table.

“Then again. Everyone always fall for you.” Nora teased.

“Not everyone. John never did.” Evangeline smiled weakly then started pacing.

“Please. I think McBain fell the hardest.” She continued when Evangeline turned to study her. “You had that man lost…afraid. He didn’t know what to do with himself. Anyone who knows John knew he loved you…and was in love with you. He just couldn’t say the words, but that didn’t mean he didn’t feel them. John,” Nora paused to search for the right words. “Well, John just has a demon he won’t let go of. But, honey, believe me when I tell you he loved you even if he couldn’t say the words."

“And Cristian says them all the time. You would think I would be happy.” Evangeline chastised her own self. “I mean. I begged John for the words. I even stood in front of a crowd professing my love…and what did I get?

Nora watched as Evangeline came back to the couch and sat beside her.

“Nora, I care deeply for Cristian…” Evangeline looked up at the ceiling. “Maybe, maybe I need to give myself time. I mean. Cris is a great guy.”

Nora studied her friend as she analyzed her own problem.

“He is completely and totally about me. I don’t have to speculate about what is real or true with Cristian. It’s like…” Evangeline covered her heart with both hands as she continued. “I know physically, mentally, emotionally Cristian is with me.”

Evangeline looked over at Nora and smiled weakly.

“With Cristian if I give it time, I know we can go some where. I don’t have to ask for a commitment with him.” Evangeline placed her left hand on her head. “I prayed so many nights for this, and now I’m being so ungrateful. So what…I may not be in love with Cristian right now. I’m not the type of person to fall quick anyway. I mean…I get closer to him ever day.”

Nora observed as Evangeline stood and started pacing.

“It may take another month…two…three months for me to fall in love.” She turned to Nora. “But, I will right?”

“Well, the question I think you should be asking yourself knowing Cristian Vega,” Nora searched Evangeline’s face and body language. “If you are pregnant, when Cristian propose will you say yes.”

“Propose?” Evangeline inquired shocked. “Do you think he will? Cristian wouldn’t jump at marriage that quick…you think?”

“He’s a Vega.” Nora laughed. “He’s a Vega.”



John & Michael Mc Bain

John was sitting at Rodi’s bar nursing a scotch straight up while he waited for his brother. From his position he could see the whole bar. He habitually glanced around the room and noticed when Cristian and Evangeline walked into the room. They were hip to hip and headed to a quiet spot across the room away from the jukebox and pool table.

Evangeline was smiling at Cristian as he pulled out her chair and continued as she waited for him to sit down. He observed how Cristian took the chair across from her and positioned it right beside her. After Vega was finished and right where John wanted to be, Vega kissed his beautiful lady and wrapped his arms around her.

John stared a little longer then normal because he knew unless someone was studying him they wouldn’t detect he was watching.

“More like stalking.” McBain whispered to himself then sipped from his drink and focused on the bartender who was making drinks for a waitress. He glanced around the room again and realized that Rodi’s was busier than usual. It really didn’t matter to him though because usually he was still alone in a room of people. The only time he didn’t feel that way was when he was with…his eyes trail over to Evangeline again…when he was with her. She completed him. She filled the void he had for so long. She made him want to be a better person.

John glanced at his watch trying to distract himself from his ex-lover and her current boyfriend. It was ironic though that Cristian and Evangeline hooked up…very ironic.

Cristian and Natalie were soul-mates, and he and Evangeline had something no one could take away. But, here they were making love to the wrong people. Here he was watching another man enjoy the only woman he ever wanted since Caitlin, his first fiancée. Caitlin was his first love and her life was taken away too soon, and he never thought he would feel the way he did then again. But, Evangeline was…is like no one he ever met. She mesmerized, smitten, and overwhelmed him. He knew he loved Caitlin completely, but Evangeline was taking him to a level he never experienced.

John finished his drink and ordered another. When the bartender placed the drink in front of him, he glanced over at Evangeline and watched as Cristian feed her a French fry. Before John knew it he down his second drink in one gulp. He winced as the brown liquid burned his throat going down. He placed the drink down with a little more force than necessary and ordered another. When the bartender questioned him, he shot him a look that told him not to question him again. John watched as the bartender stepped back and headed to fulfill the order.

Evangeline’s presence was like a magnetic as he discovered his eyes concentrating on her again. He noticed when Cristian’s hand covered her stomach. If he had not known their little secret, he wouldn’t have thought anything of it. Damn Cristian Vega! He should have protected Evangeline. How could either one of them allow this to happen.

John closed his eyes then downed his drink. He knew he shouldn’t have especially since he hadn’t eaten anything all day. For breakfast he had his usually black coffee, and he was going for lunch when he overheard Layla about Evangeline’s pregnant. He obviously lost his appetite then.

He was feeling the alcohol and knew he should have called Michael and told him he needed to reschedule. But, he found himself listening to the liquid courage inside telling him to go confront Cristian and Evangeline, so he could get the answers he wanted. Why should he sneak around and ask his brother for help when he had the source across the room.

Michael walked into Rodi’s. He looked over at the bar for his brother since they were meeting for drinks. His expression quickly darkened as he noticed a determined look on John’s face. He watched as his brother slightly stumbled off the stool. He followed the direction of his brother’s glare and realized he was headed for Cristian and Evangeline. Michael rushed over to John midway and before anyone else noticed.

“Hey Bro, sorry I’m late.” Michael had turned John back in the direction of the bar.

“Perfect timing, Mikey.” John slapped Michael’s back with a heavy hand.

Michael led his big brother back to the bar. “Big Bro, it looked like you were on fire to go tell Cristian and Evangeline something.”

John ignored Michael as he balanced himself on the stool and tried to get the bartender’s attention. He knew the guy was purposely ignoring him, but he really didn’t care. He was feeling a little embarrassed about what he was about to do.

“What’s going on John?” Michael glanced over his shoulder at the happy couple. “It looks like those two are over there celebrating, and you didn’t look like you were going to wish them well.”

“Evangeline is pregnant.” John blurted out then cursed himself. He wiped his face with his hand. He shouldn’t have down them drinks on an empty stomach. They went straight to his head. Normally, it would take more than a couple of glasses to get him to feel anything. He was actually happy for his brother arrival. He wasn’t sure what he was going to do when he got over to Evangeline and Cristian.

John heard Michael order two cups of black coffee. He didn’t want coffee he wanted to go home. He couldn’t believe how easily he told Mikey about Evangeline. His brother was usually the only one he would and could open up to completely, but he always made him work for it too. Evangeline’s pregnancy must be bothering him more than he though. It would change everything in their lives. She would never leave Cristian. They would be tied for life with a child. John needed answers and since he couldn’t get them from the source, he needed his little brother’s help.

“Mikey,” John lend closer. “I need for you to get Evangeline’s medical records for me.”

“What?” Michael questioned shock. He glanced at the bartender who placed their coffees on the bar then walked away. “How many drinks did you have before I got here? They definitely clouded your judgment.”

“Michael, I’m fine. This is why I called you.” John looked serious, and it seemed like he sobered up a little. “I need to know how far along she is.”

“Do you realize how illegal that will be without a search warrant, and how unethical it is?” Michael glanced around then focused on John who was looking at him with a blank expression. “John, why do you need that information anyway?”

“Michael, I just need to know.” John glanced over at his ex-lover who was laughing and smiling at Cristian. “I just need to know.”

“She looks so happy, doesn’t she?” Michael asked looking at his brother watching her. “You once said all you wanted was for Evangeline to be happy. Have you changed your mind? Looking at her, she looks very happy.”

John rolled his blue eyes then glared at his brother. He hated when Michael stepped into his Dr. Phillips mode.

“Besides, if you are so curious, why don’t you ask her?” Michael looked over at John and got his answer from his brother’s direct stare. “Well, you know you can’t ask her with Cristian there. It was a good thing I stopped you. You and Cristian would have gotten into a fight, and Cristian would have said it’s none of your business.”

John rolled his eyes again and focused on the hot liquid in front of him.

“And, if you want the truth,” Michael waited for his brother to look at him to finish. “He would be right. You’re with Natalie now.”

John looked away and Michael started worrying about his brother. Usually at this point John would say something to validate his actions, but his big brother said nothing.

“John, are you still in love with Evangeline?”

John glanced at Michael then over at Evangeline.

“Ohmigod, you are!” Michael was speechless as he glanced over at Evangeline too then studied his brother. “What have you been doing with Natalie for this past year?”

John sighed then drank some of his coffee. He was losing his mind he decided as he prepared to tell his brother of the events of this morning. He knew it was the alcohol, but he needed someone to help him. He needed help to fix this nightmare…well, mistake he had gotten himself into. For once John decided to step out of his lonely place and allow his brother in completely. Michael had been closer than anyone, but tonight he needed his little brother to carry him completely. He needed…and wanted help.

Michael sat quietly as John started to tell him of the happenings of this morning, and the dreams he has had over the past few months.

When John finished, Michael glanced over at Evangeline and Cristian. He shook his head and whispered, “Poor Natalie.”

John wanted to order another scotch to block out the guilt he was feeling for leading Natalie on, but he knew his brother wouldn’t allow that. So, as he was accustomed he allowed it to eat him up inside.