Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
[color=black][font=arial][b]November 1999.[/b]

Baby|Chase.

I remembered the day when my eyes met the beautiful Angel as she danced for the mysterious Americans in their business suits. Every woman in my familia would say, “You don’t know what love is, Nene. Just wait until it loves you and hurts you back.”  She was dressed in fancy rubies and barrettes, dazzling from her head down to her feet.  She reminded me of those pictures in Salim’s photo book as if she was a princess, preparing to take me away and dance in the heavens forever.

When I was eight, I met Salim through my father as a best friend of his, until he was shot during the Duarte`Revolution. He claimed that Papi’s wishes were for my sisters and I to be raised in Catacumbas until a boat was ready to take us to America.  However, he took us captive, separating us into tiny compartments known as the “groul”.  Within three years, he stripped me of everything and began calling me, “Fiesel”.  He exposed me out of the middle class family and everything that reminded me of Buenos Aires. I was a no-name basterd, who had a neither mother nor father to run for protection.

“Fiesel, I am your father now and for now on you will be my son. Claro?” I nodded, knowing that my English was a bit rustier than normal. “Don’t worry; by the time you get to America, you’ll be speaking perfect English.” My eyes lit up as the thought of going to “America” would mean a chance to be someone else and seizing more opportunities.

 “Go and follow Tabu, she made you some Caruru.” I ran behind one of his many followers, sitting at the table and waited for them to bring out all of my favorite dishes, both Brazilian and Argentinean alike. As I smashed my twelve-year old face in the food, however  my ear could’ve deceived me when I heard whimpering coming one of the back rooms.  “¿Cuál era aquel ruido?” I stared at Tabu as she pretended like it was a stray cat outside, roaming the slums.  I watched as she walked away and I had to pursue the noise myself.

As I crept towards the narrow hall, seeing a maze full of rooms, with all types of young girls, ranging from young to old as well color and sizes. The whimpering got louder as I came in front of a bronze-colored iron door and touched the handle, seeing her on the bed, sleeping. I heard the faucet cease running and a dark-haired man walked out.

“Salim?” He frowned; slapping my hand from touching the girl’s face, he hoisted me against the wall, imprinting my head on it. “Didn’t I say stay in the kitchen and eat.” I nodded. “Si, Señor.” I felt the first two blows in the face and my jaws felt like someone had crushed it. Before I jinxed myself, he threw me on the ground while, his feet began stomping me repeatedly. I cried out my mother’s name.  “Este un hombre. Be a fucking man.”  Blood gushed out of my face and onto to the floor, repainting its appeal.

Soon after, I heard both Tabu and Sera come in, rushing over towards Salim, trying to coax him to stopping. “Bastante! Salim, Ello un Niño. He’s just a baby.” I struggled to stand on my two feet and stumbled gradually towards the bed, where she was lying unconscious and dressed in a robe & a pair of slippers. I picked her up, hoisting her over my shoulders and almost falling myself, but didn't lost balance towards the door until Sera grabbed me in the hallway and slipped me a barrel of American dollars. “I know that you understand me, little one. Go to America, both of you will be safe there with an American family, ok.” She planted a kiss on my forehead and bid me farewell.

It took nearly three days in orders to get to “La Marina”, where a ferry will take us to America. I remember Salim had showed me a picture of the Sears Towers, prompting that we shall move to this Chicago. As we approach the ferry, I laid her in one of the bunk-compartments until the drugs had worn off. Meanwhile, I began cleansing my wounds and placed a bandage on my forehead. I walked towards her, staring as she slept even like an Angel. “Hola, mi Angel.” Her eyes began to open and she seemed afraid.

 “Everything is okay, we are safe now.” My English was horrible, however I couldn’t wait to start school and learn more about this "America.” Her eyes began drifting as her mouth opened to speak. “Como te llamas, Fiesel?” I rubbed the towel over her forehead and winced. “Me llamo es Chase, Y tu?” She smiled. “Chase. Chas—mi nombre es Cielo.” I watched as her eyes drifted back to sleep and I realized that we would have to take care of each other, because we’re all we have got.[/color][/font]


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


This is a short piece to chapter two