Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Mary sat in the dimly lit solarium watching Colonel Fitzwilliam’s figure retreat from the room. Once he had gone, Mary let out a deep sigh. Opening the velvet box, Mary took out the pearl earrings and examined them in the candlelight. They were indeed a beautiful pair of earrings that would complement her warm brown skin nicely. However, they were not the gift that she had been expecting. Slowly, disappointment began to take root within her breast until her chest felt so full that it would burst. A few traitorous tears escaped her eyes.

“Foolish, foolish Mary,” she silently cursed herself.

However, no sooner had she thought the words did she realize the false accusation behind them. She had had every reason to expect a proposal this night. All of his acts and words had spoken of a desire to make her his bride. Every look, touch and kiss had spoken of his admiration of her. Any rational woman in her position would have expected an offer of marriage.

However, perhaps she was foolish. Had not Elizabeth warned her to be careful with her heart? Elizabeth had said that Richard was a charmer who could easily make a woman believe herself in love. Mary also wondered why Richard had not yet sought her guardian’s permission to court her formally. Yet, surely if Richard had only intended for her to be an amusement he would not have wooed so well. At least twice he had practically declared himself. While a gift of earrings had not the same meaning as an engagement ring, a man did not give jewelry to a woman he only intended to use as a flirtation, Mary reasoned. No, Richard would not use her so ill. Mary wiped angrily at her cheeks. There had to be another explanation. Perhaps there was some impediment that merely delayed his proposal? He had asked her for the first set of the ball. He did not mean to quit his attentions to her.

Mary closed her eyes as she remembered Richard’s words to her moments earlier. He had asked if her heart where his alone. Surely she had his heart as well. Mary resolved to be patient and to wait to see what the ball would hold. She could not doubt Fitzwilliam’s character nor did she want to allow herself to regret giving her heart so freely.

*****************************************


Pemberley was a whirlwind of activity in the days leading up to the Twelfth Night Ball. Not only was Pemberley to be the host of a ball on that night, but the great house would also be host to a number of guests who would stay at Pemberley for a few days before and after the ball. With both Fitzwilliam and young William fully recovered, Elizabeth found herself free to throw herself headfirst into the final preparations for the festivities. Georgiana and Mary where also drafted to assist Elizabeth in overseeing preparations. Rooms were aired and made ready, decorations where hung, fresh flowers were plucked from the hothouse, and the kitchens were abuzz with activity. Mary found all of the activity to be exciting as well as a little overwhelming. Her father in New Sussex never found it necessary to have more than a few friends in attendance at their home. As such, Mary only had to oversee the preparation of a few guest rooms and modest meals.

Due to all of the preparations, Mary had little time to spend in frivolity. However, she still managed to make time for Sir Little Bit’s afternoon stories, much to the young gentleman’s delight. Mary was crestfallen to find that Richard was absent from these times, yet Mary was able to find much delight in the company of her most loyal and first knight.

Mary also found that her evening chats with Georgiana were impacted by the preparations. Georgiana often claimed fatigue, begging off their late night discussions until another day. After three nights of such excuses, Mary began to suspect that there was another reason for Georgiana’s reluctance. However, whenever Mary sought to inquire after the state of her friend, Georgiana assured her that all was well and that she was merely overcome by the hubbub of the season. This explanation only served to calm Mary’s concerns for a few days.

Walking into the music room, Mary was gratified to find Georgiana seated at her pianoforte shuffling through a stack of music. Smiling broadly, Mary moved towards her friend.

“Georgiana, I know that you are about to practice, but I was wondering if we might take the opportunity to chat for a moment.”

Georgiana stilled and settled her music before answering. “Perhaps we can speak later, Mary. As you see, I am about to practice my music and I like to keep to a precise schedule.”

“Please, Georgiana,” Mary pleaded as she came to stand by the pianoforte. “It should only take a few minutes. I can sense that something is bothering you and I would have us talk about it.”

Georgiana kept her gaze fixed on the keys before her before replying, “We shall talk, but it shall be at another time.”

Georgiana began to play signaling that the matter was closed. Mary regarded her friend with some amazement. She turned to leave the room and acquiesce to her friend’s desire before thinking better of it. Mary sat down beside Georgiana and began turning pages for her friend.

“There is no need for you to turn pages for me, Mary. I will do quite fine on my own.”

“I am sure that you are quite capable of playing without assistance,” Mary replied as her eyes followed the music. “But, I am determined to speak with you. I feel that you have been avoiding me and you do not seem to be yourself. You are my friend, my best friend in fact, and I cannot sit by while you are angry with me.”

“Angry with you?” Georgiana queried as she continued to play. “Whatever would give you that idea.”

“Well, you have barely spoken to me since Christmas and whenever I approach you to do so you invent some reason why we cannot. I miss our conversations.”

“I am sure that Cousin Richard would be very obliged to keep you company if you are feeling lonely,” Georgiana replied, her playing becoming more discordant.

“Fitzwilliam? What has he to do with it.”

Georgiana stopped her playing and took a steadying breath before turning to face Mary for the first time. “I saw you leaving Richard’s rooms on Christmas morning.”

Mary looked at her friend quizzically to which Georgiana replied with an uncharacteristic and inelegant snort.

“You must remember it. You were wearing naught by your nightgown when you left a gentleman’s private rooms. I have seen the way he looks at you and the secret smiles that you share,” Georgiana glared at her friend although her tone remained soft. “It is fairly obvious to me that there is some sort of …relationship between you and Fitzwilliam. I would caution to you both to take care. If I am aware of your liaisons it is not long before my brother will discover them for himself.”

Understanding dawned on Mary. Georgiana thought that something illicit was occurring between her and Fitzwilliam. Mary’s previous concern for her friend turned to anger.

“How dare you! You know not of what you speak. I thought that you were my friend, but if you were you would not accuse me of something so despicable!”

“What other conclusion could I come to given your behavior! If you were my friend you would not carry on such a dalliance with my cousin!”

Mary’s mouth fell open in shock. “We have done nothing of which I am ashamed.”

“Any lady of breeding would be ashamed to be found in so compromising a position!”

“Since you are determined to assume the worst of me, let me be explicit about what occurred that morning. I woke up that morning in my room after spending the night nursing your cousin through a horrid fever. I must have fallen asleep sometime during the night after he quieted and was carried by a servant to my rooms. Having so recently found myself in a similar situation when my father became ill and died, I panicked and I feared the worst. I could not bear the thought that another man I loved could be taken from me in such a fashion. I rushed to his room not thinking of what I wore or who might see. I found him well and with the doctor. We…,“ Mary paused unsure of what she should reveal as she began to comprehend the impropriety of their behavior. “We embraced and I returned to my rooms. There was no dalliance, no planned assignation.”

Georgiana listened to Mary’s explanation with a slowly deflating posture. Her anger at her friend gave way to remorse and even embarrassment. Of course nothing untoward had occurred, the previous night her cousin had been racked with fever while she and her brother and sister had been enjoying themselves at the Servant’s Ball. Mary had been there to comfort him when she had not. In fact, despite Georgiana’s regard for her cousin, she had not even offered to stay and play nurse to him.

“Then there must be an understanding between you?” Georgiana asked meekly.

“Yes,“ Mary paused, unsure of how to reply. “…And no. There is no engagement, if that is your question. But he has assured me of his love for me and I in turn have pledged my heart to him.”

Georgiana swallowed thickly. She had assumed the worst of her friend and in her accusations had forced Mary to confess what had only brought herself pain. Richard was in love with Mary and beyond her reach.

Mary broke the silence that had settled about them. “I apologize if any of my actions have caused you pain.”

Georgiana looked up at this pronouncement. She felt as if she were the one who owed Mary an apology although she found herself to be then unequal to the task. Georgiana was disconcerted to find that Mary’s eyes had begun to well with unshed tears.

“I would not wish to do anything to harm our friendship as your good opinion means much to me. Even before I arrived here you have treated me as a friend. I…I” Mary’s efforts at checking her tears proved futile. “If you would excuse me.”

Georgiana watched with a sinking heart as Mary fled the room, tears streaking down her cheeks. After gazing at the closed music room door for some moments, Georgiana turned towards the pianoforte as if to resume her playing. However, she soon gave up the pretense of practicing as she laid her head down on the instrument and wept.

**************************************


Two days before their guests were set to descend upon Pemberley, the family sat for the evening meal. The plans for the ball were coming together nicely and Elizabeth was pleased that her efforts to introduce Mary to society from the comfort and safety of Pemberley would be a success. She was less assured of the opinion of her husband regarding a match between Mary and his cousin. Elizabeth had kept her promise to Fitzwilliam to try to convince Darcy that the match would be a good one for all parties involved. Darcy had come as far as to concede that Fitzwilliam’s regard for Mary was genuine and that he had observed affection on the part of Mary. However, he still had reservations about the prudence of agreeing to the match as it would undoubtedly subject Mary to the ridicule of society. Elizabeth hoped that her house party and ball would demonstrate to her husband that Mary would be well received by those in society whom they regarded as their friends and close acquaintances. If Mary was well received at the ball surely those who admired her as Miss Farthington would not despise her as Mrs. Fitzwilliam.

Darcy was engaged in similar contemplations as he watched his cousin and his charge engaged in private conversation, their heads bent toward one another and almost touching. Fitzwilliam had done little to hide his admiration of Mary and was obviously wooing her despite his vocal objections to the match. Darcy took a full swig of his wine before releasing a heavy sigh. It appeared as if his entire family were at odds with him over his opinion on the match. He looked towards Georgiana to find her watching the couple with an unreadable expression on her face. Darcy almost thought it was a look of resignation, however he could not imagine what would cause his sister to feel such a way.

“So, Mrs. Darcy, what entertainments have you devised for our guests?” Fitzwilliam suddenly addressed Elizabeth. “I was just telling Miss Mary about some of the more traditional Twelfth Night entertainments.”

Elizabeth smiled, happy to speak of her preparations. “I thought that our friends might enjoy participating in some winter sports, especially those who are coming from town. I had thought that an afternoon of ice skating would be an enjoyable pastime, but we now know that the ice on the pond is quite unstable. Seeing as we have a nice coat of snow about the grounds, I thought that sleigh rides would be an adequate substitute. A few blankets, warming bricks and a basket with hot cocoa and refreshments. The grounds will look absolutely splendid.”

“A sleigh ride sounds delightful,” Mary replied excitedly. “I’ve never ridden in a sleigh before.”

“Then that will soon be amended, Miss Farthington,” Fitzwilliam smiled at his dinner partner. “There are few outdoor winter amusements which are its equal.”

“Yes, sleigh rides can be very romantic, especially those done in the evening under the stars.” Elizabeth added, looking at her husband with a conspiratorial gaze.

Darcy could not help but to smile back at his wife’s teasing look. However, his amusement soon faded as he watched his wife’s eyes stray across the table toward Mary and Richard. Darcy frowned as he observed the shy smile Mary gave Fitzwilliam in response to his roguish wink. He decided to have another discussion with his cousin once dinner was over and the gentlemen separated from the ladies.

“Who has accepted our invitation to stay with us?” Georgiana queried, discomforted by the turn of the conversation. “I do hope cousin Gregory is to attend. It has been quite sometime since he has visited.”

“I had a letter from my brother the other day,” Fitzwilliam offered as he took a sip of his wine. “He is to join us along with the Viscountess, her cousin Lady Letitia and a few of his associates.”

“It shall be a pleasure to see Gregory again,” Darcy replied to this announcement. A plan soon began to form in his head after the mention of Lady Letitia. Lady Letitia was a woman of considerable fortune from a distinguished family. As Darcy remembered, she had seemed to enjoy the company of Fitzwilliam when last they were all together.

“We are also to expect a few house guests who claim an acquaintance with you, Mary,” Elizabeth addressed her with a wide smile. “Mr. Brambles has written to say that he shall join us for the festivities as well as your cousins, Mr. Derek Peterson and his mother, Mrs. Peterson.”

Mary’s face split into a wide smile at this pronouncement. She was beyond pleased to know that she would meet with Mr. Brambles again and she was very anxious to meet the Petersons. Mrs. Peterson was her father’s cousin and closest living relative as far as Mary was aware. They had exchanged a few letters over the past week with Mrs. Peterson inviting her to spend the summer months with them at their house in Brighton.

“That is lovely!” Mary exclaimed. “Mr. Brambles was my father’s solicitor. He accompanied me from New Sussex until I was settled here at Pemberley.” Mary explained to Fitzwilliam in reply to his look of confusion. “I shall be very pleased to meet with him again.”

Fitzwilliam smiled, gratified by Mary’s pleasure at being reunited with old friends and new. “I shall be delighted to make his acquaintance as well.”

After the evening meal, the men separated from the women to partake of port and fine cigars.

“Pemberley shall be quite the mad house in a few days time. However shall you manage all the simpering ball guests, cousin?”

Darcy laughed. “I think I shall mange them quite well. I admit that I formerly had little love for balls and house parties, but Elizabeth has helped me to feel quite comfortable at such events. Do not mistake me,” Darcy protested at Fitzwilliam’s huff of disbelief. “I would still much prefer a quite evening with family and a few close friends to a ball. However, balls are no longer the grueling ordeal that they once were.”

“Well, it has been quite such time since I have partaken of the fripperies of polite society. I just hope that I can remember all of my dance steps. I hope that the Corantes is still in fashion.”

“I am sure that none of the ladies will disparage your skill at the dance, cousin. As I recall, you always were quite fond of dancing. However, I should warn you that Elizabeth has insisted that there be a waltz in addition to the country dances,” Darcy groaned.

“Scandalous!” Fitzwilliam exclaimed with mock horror. “Really I am sure that the ball and house party shall be everything that is delightful and proper.”

“Fitzwilliam, I would ask a favor of you,”

“A favor? If it is in my power to grant, Cousin, then you shall have it.”

Darcy took a slow drag of his cigar before replying. “As you are aware your brother is to attend the ball and shall be accompanied by his wife’s cousin Lady Letitia.”

“Yes, what of it?” Fitzwilliam asked warily.

“Well, Lady Letitia Montrose is a very eligible lady of no small fortune and from an excellent family. It is my desire that you assist Elizabeth and I in our hosting duties by being her companion of sorts this weekend during the house party.”

“Companion? Surely Lady Letitia does not need me to chaperone or coddle her. Furthermore, I would not wish to give Lady Letitia the wrong impression regarding my intentions.”

“Well,” Darcy replied as he sipped his port casually, “You could do much worse than Lady Letitia. Such a connection would undoubtedly be pleasing to both your parents and her own.”

“What are you about Darcy? You are very much aware of where my intentions lie.”

“Yes, I am quite aware of your intentions toward Miss. Farthington. You persist in pursuing a connection with her despite my disapproval.”

“I have no wish to deny that a connection is my intent,” Fitzwilliam replied as he placed his glass firmly on the table before him. “In fact, I plan to ask for her hand in marriage.”

“You would ask her hand despite my disapproval!”

“Yes. I would. I love Mary and she has been so very kind as to return my affections with equal ferocity. I would suggest that you begin to acquaint yourself with that reality.”

“You forget, cousin, that she is my charge and cannot marry without my consent. Furthermore, I have control of her fortune until she reaches the age of twenty-five.”

“I am quite aware of your duties to her as her guardian. You forget that I am very familiar with the role of protector of young ladies. However, I fear you have let your concerns about the views of society cloud your better judgment.”

“On the contrary. I fear that is you who has been behaving without the guide of judgment.“ Darcy rose from his seat and took his customary position by the window. “You must realize that my opposition to the match stems purely from my concern for Mary and yourself. If I were to allow you to wed you would be shunned by all proper society.”

“Cousin, I fully understand your concerns about the reception Mary and I would receive. If I loved her less or if she were indifferent, such concerns would be sufficient to sway me from my suit.”

Fitzwilliam sighed heavily before joining his cousin by the window, his glass of port in hand. “I love Mary. I truly do. You of all people know that I have never been in the position to say such a thing about any other woman. I am prepared to spend the rest of my life making her happy and protecting her from harm. I assure you that I am equal to both tasks.”

Darcy turned to face his cousin. By his grave tone and sober expression, Darcy knew that Fitzwilliam meant every word that he said. He had observed his cousin carry on innocent flirtations with many women and he knew that his intentions toward Mary bore little resemblance to those amusements. His cousin, the self-proclaimed life long bachelor who loved good society and all of its amusements, was now declaring that he intended to settle down with a woman whose background would mean that he would be forever excluded from that society. Something had changed in Fitzwilliam during his long absence from England, something that allowed Fitzwilliam to see in Mary a future he would not have previously welcomed. However, Darcy was unsure if his cousin’s resolve and conviction would be sufficient to shield Mary from harm. He did not wish to make his cousin unhappy nor did he desire to give Mary further cause for pain when she had so recently suffered so much. If her heart was truly touched as he suspected, Mary would be harmed regardless of his decision. Darcy realized that the choice before him was only that of choosing the proverbial lesser of two evils.

“I do not know if I am prepared to give you the answer which you desire. However, I promise to consider the matter some more. Until then I would ask that you do the favor which I have asked of you.”

“Then that will have to be enough for me right now,” Fitzwilliam answered, a small smile of relief playing about his mouth. “And I will honor my promise to play host to the Viscountess and her sister.”

“Thank you,” Darcy replied. “Shall we rejoin the ladies? I fear we have deprived them of our presence long enough.”

The gentlemen left Darcy’s study to join the ladies who had assembled in the music room. The sight that greeted them was everything that was charming. Georgiana sat at the pianoforte busily playing a charming air while Elizabeth stood by her voice raised in song. Mary was seated not far from the pair, her fingers busily plucking at the strings of a harp. Darcy and Fitzwilliam took seats so as to enjoy the lady’s exhibition.

Fitzwilliam was entranced by the vision of Mary at the harp. Her long fingers delicately strumming the strings of the harp and her head bent in concentration, a few locks of dark hair falling over her forehead. He had never had the opportunity to see Mary play the harp and he found that he found even more pleasure in her playing the stringed instrument than in her pianoforte performances. With the harp Mary seemed to forget the world around her, all of her focus consumed in her playing. Her face was relaxed, a delicate smile formed on her lips. Her shoulders lost all tension as she appeared to melt into the instrument. Fitzwilliam barely registered when the performance came to an end until Darcy’s enthusiastic clapping brought him out of his reverie.

“That was a most excellent performance,” Darcy praised the trio as he stepped forward to kiss his wife’s hand. “Will you all be favoring us with a similar performance when our guests arrive?”

“Yes, dear. We shall be performing for our guests but not during the ball. We have each been practicing on our own and tonight is our first time playing together,“ Elizabeth replied before giving her husband an impish grin. “Do you think we’ll put the Darcy name to shame?”

“Of course not,” Fitzwilliam answered in all seriousness before Darcy could reply. “That was the most delightful performance I have heard in quite some time.”

“However you have been marooned in the wilds of America these last few years,” Elizabeth teased in return. “Perhaps your taste in music has been dulled.”

Fitzwilliam smiled broadly at this jest. “I assure you, Cousin Elizabeth, my tastes in all things have only become more refined.” Here his eyes moved from Elizabeth to rest on Mary who returned his gaze with a look of embarrassed confusion.

Georgiana observed the interaction with slightly heightened color while Elizabeth smiled good naturedly at the pair.

“Well,” Darcy replied, drawing the gaze of all towards himself. “I am sure that our guests will be well pleased with your performance. Would you please delight us with another song?”

Mary offered to play the pianoforte as the trio had only prepared one joint song. Fitzwilliam made to follow Mary to the instrument under the guise of turning pages but thought better of it and sat next to Georgiana instead.

“I do look forward to hearing you all perform again, Georgiana.”

“Truly?” Georgiana queried, turning to observe her cousin.

“Very much so,” Fitzwilliam answered with a smile. “I did not know that Miss Farthington was so accomplished at the harp. She is a remarkable woman.”

Georgiana followed her cousin’s gaze to focus on the figure of Mary. Georgiana sighed before dropping her eyes toward her lap. She had never seen her cousin look upon her with such a look of devotion and, dare she admit it, passion. Fitzwilliam had only ever looked upon her as a sister, someone to protect and look after, not as a woman to be loved and desired. Georgiana observed her cousin watching Mary once more and wished in her heart that one day a man would look upon her in a similar fashion. Wickham had written her pretty words and spoken of his false devotion but never had he looked at her with such a heated gaze. She fought the rising feeling of jealousy that grew within her breast. After Mary had finished her song Georgiana clapped politely before declaring her intention to retire for the evening.

“Are you unwell, Georgie?” Fitzwilliam questioned her as she rose from her seat to depart.

Georgiana smiled weakly at his use of her childhood name. “I am only a little fatigued. There is no need to concern yourself.”

Georgiana bid everyone goodnight before making her way towards her rooms with a heavy heart