Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the delay! I left my mac on the other side of the country and had a bad case of writer's block. I hope that you enjoy this chapter!


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Love and Prejudice Chapter 14

The next day saw the house party in full swing. Various activities were planned to amuse the party throughout the day. The men were scheduled to indulge in a fox hunt with the ladies riding out to observe the proceedings. Darcy, Fitzwilliam, the Viscount and Mr. Peterson were to join a few gentlemen from neighboring estates. The ladies of the house were to accompany the gentlemen on horseback, save for Mary who did not ride, Beatrice who found hunting rather tiresome and Elizabeth, who had learned to ride since her marriage to Mr. Darcy but felt herself too poor a horsewoman to navigate her mount through the snow. Mary contented herself with sitting in Georgiana’s room as she donned her riding habit in preparation for the morning’s activity.

“You must be sure to tell me if anything interesting happens,” Mary stated as she fiddled with a bit of ribbon. “I wish that I could ride out with you all.”

Georgiana smiled at her friend. “It is I who envy you, Mary. I find watching the men hunt to be rather boring myself. Truly, I think we are only to accompany them to massage their egos and praise them for their masculine efforts.”

Mary laughed at this, although she had to admit that she would not mind watching Richard ride through the snow, his mind bent to the task of capturing prey for the evening meal. Mary was broken from her thoughts by Georgiana’s laughter.

“Hmm, I wager that I can guess the bent of your thoughts, Mary,” Georgiana said smilingly, causing Mary’s cheeks to warm with embarrassment. “I promise you, although it sounds rather romantic, there really is not much too it. I shall have to suffer the simpering of Letitia and the haughtiness of the Viscountess all on my own.”

Mary frowned. Lady Letitia’s attentions toward Richard were becoming a source of annoyance for Mary. She was thankful to be spared the spectacle of Letitia’s insincere praise of Richard and her barely veiled insults towards herself.

“Well, at least you will have the opportunity to ride out with Mr. Peterson,” Mary offered after a time. “And I am sure that some of the wives of the neighboring gentlemen will accompany you.”

Mary was pleased to see Georgiana smile shyly at this.

“I am sure I will have little opportunity to converse with Mr. Peterson. Yet, perhaps the other ladies will provide some sort of buffer to Letitia and the Viscountess. If anything interesting should happen, I’ll be sure to tell you of it.”

Mary accompanied Georgiana down to the foyer where the party was assembling before the hunt. She smiled as her eyes met those of Richard. He returned her grin with a wide smile of his own and made his way towards her.

“It is unfortunate that you will be unable to join us, Miss Farthington.”

“Yes, but as you are well aware, I do not ride and it cannot be helped.”

“I suppose that it would be improper for you to share my stead as we did once before? I assure you that Beauregard is up to the challenge,” Richard whispered, his eyes glinting with amusement.

Mary grew warm at the memory of being held securely to his body as they rode towards Pemberley, her fear of falling overriding any maidenly reserve that would have put distance between them.

“I fear that it would be quite difficult to maintain your grip upon your gun and my person,” Mary replied in hushed tones.

Richard’s heated look was Mary’s reward for her boldness.

“It would seem that you have become quite the accomplished flirt, Princess,” Richard whispered as he stared at her lips. “Lucky for you that the company and hour prevent me from delivering the punishment you deserve.”

Mary gasped in genuine shock, earning a triumphant smile from Richard.

“Colonel Fitzwilliam,” the honeyed voice of Lady Letitia sounded out, “Will you be so kind as to escort me to my mount?”

Richard winked at Mary surreptitiously before turning towards Lady Letitia.

“But of course, Lady Letitia. May I say how lovely you look?”

Letitia blushed and fluttered her lashes in a manner she thought becoming.

“You are too kind,” she replied as she smoothed down her dark red riding habit. She threaded her arm around Richard’s before pulling him towards the door, ignoring Mary’s presence entirely.

Mary frowned as she watched them walk away.

“Oh, why the long face dear?” Beatrice asked as she came to stand beside Mary to watch the hunting party depart. “Trust me, we girls shall have a grand time here in the warmth of Pemberley. I couldn’t give three straws about missing the chance to watch the men muck about in the snow.”

“I am sure you are quite right,” Mary replied with a small smile before taking Beatrice by the arm to walk to the solarium. Elizabeth had organized a late morning of painting for those who would not be attending the hunt. Mr. Brambles had been kind enough to offer to pose for them all. Mary and Beatrice were quite delighted at the sight that greeted them upon their arrival. Mr. Brambles stood by the fountain in the center of the room arrayed in the costume of a Roman god, a crown of ivy upon his head, a false beard upon his face and a staff in his hand.

“Apparently I am to be Zeus to Miss April’s Hera,” Mr. Brambles announced with a laugh.

Beatrice and Mary exchanged glances before erupting into laughter.

*********************
During luncheon, Mary sat and listened to Lady Letitia wax on about that morning’s hunt. The ladies were all gathered in the Green Drawing Room to partake of the meal while the men talked of sport elsewhere.

“Yes, it was a most impressive display,” Lady Letitia went on. “Colonel Fitzwilliam is quite the accomplished rider and huntsman. Why, he caught two foxes himself and I am sure that he would have had even more success had it been earlier in the season.”

“Well, enough talk of shooting things, Letitia,” the Viscountess interrupted. “I should like to hear how you all entertained yourselves while we were away.”

“We had a grand time of painting and indulging in hot chocolate,” Beatrice supplied. “It was infinitely more pleasing that riding about in the snow.”

“I take it that you don’t ride, Miss Farthington,” Lady Letitia addressed her, ignoring Beatrice’s statement and her cousin’s attempts to change the conversation.

“No, I never learnt,” Mary replied with a smile. “The carriage and my own two feet were always sufficient means of transport in New Sussex.”

Elizabeth chuckled. “I was of the same opinion, Mary, until I married Mr. Darcy and was cajoled into taking lessons. I still prefer to walk, but I must own that there is much enjoyment to be had in a good brisk ride.”

“Every lady of breeding knows how to ride, Miss Farthington,” Lady Letitia continued, insensible or uncaring of the insult to her hostess. “It is regrettable that your guardian overlooked that aspect of your education.”

Mary felt her anger rise from deep in her belly at this insult to herself and her father. She made to reply but was cut off by Beatrice’s conciliatory tones.

“When you come to us in Brighton this summer, I am sure my Derek would be delighted to teach you, Mary. I have the gentlest mare that would do quite nicely.”

“I thank you, Beatrice. I shall consider it.”

Lunch continued much in the same vein with Lady Letitia offering various thinly veiled insults towards Mary with Beatrice, Georgiana and Elizabeth doing their best to deflect the barbs. Mary was quite relieved when the luncheon was concluded and the ladies were permitted to separate and indulge in individual amusements.

Being much desirous of fresh air, Mary took the opportunity to take a walk. As snow still covered most of the grounds, Mary was obliged to confine her walk to the rose garden paths that had been cleared of snow. Donning a heavy wool cloak, Mary set out for the gardens at a fast pace delighting in the feel of the cold air against her cheeks and the warmth of exertion that spread through her person. After walking for a short time, Mary was delighted to encounter her cousin Derek Peterson on the path ahead of her. Mary called to him and Derek turned to regard her with a delighted smile.

“Cousin! What an unexpected pleasure,” Derek stated happily as he offered his arm. “I had thought that you would be indulging in an afternoon of beauty sleep like the rest of the ladies.”

Mary smiled brightly at the appellation. She still found herself inordinately pleased to be someone’s cousin. “Are you suggesting that I am in need of beauty sleep, Cousin?”

“Heaven’s no,” Derek responded with mock horror. “Indeed, if you took much more rest your beauty would be so great as to render us all blind and dumb.”

Mary laughed. “Did you have much success in the hunt, cousin? According to Lady Letitia, Colonel Fitzwilliam shot the entire pack of foxes single handedly.”

Derek grinned sheepishly. “Well, I fear that the lady exaggerates. But, no, I did not have much luck in the hunt. Can I share a confidence with you, Mary?” He whispered, looking around him dramatically for eavesdroppers.

“Of course. I trust it is not so dastardly as all that.”

“I hate the sight of blood. Indeed, I abhor hunting altogether. Except for the necessity of putting meat on the table, I cannot understand the amusement one is supposed to derive from running down some poor frightened creature.”

“That is not so very a bad thing. Actually, I think it quite noble. It shows that you have a kind soul and a good heart.”

Derek blushed. “Well, it is a not a thing to be so proud of if you are striving to be a proper gentleman. It seems that every amusement designed for gentleman centers around fisticuffs or pistols of some sort.”

“Well, your secret is safe with me,” Mary laughed as she patted her cousin’s arm.

“It is fortunate that we should meet on this path,” Derek began after a few minutes of amicable silence. “I was just lamenting the lack of opportunity to converse with you properly. I fear that my good mother has selfishly kept you to herself our entire visit.”

“Beatrice is a dear sweet woman. I am so happy to have had the opportunity to meet you both. I know so little about my father’s family. On New Sussex it was just the two of us. Granted, my father spoke of you and your mother, but not in great detail and he did not mention other family members. I could not even get him to speak much of my mother. I suppose the subject brought him too much pain.”

“Well, I shall endeavor to rectify that. Ask me any question at all and I shall answer to the best of my ability.”

“I know that your mother is Lord Farthington’s first cousin. However, I have not heard him speak of any other cousins or siblings. Does your mother have brothers or sisters?”

“Well, Lord Farthington was an only child, so it is only natural that he did not speak of any siblings,” Derek began. “I believe he had a sister Caroline that died in infancy after whom you were presumably named. My mother had a brother who passed away without a family of his own. My mother is your father’s first cousin, as you know. She was born to Lady Gertrude Lawrence, the sister of Lord Farthington’s father Robert. Robert Farthington had another sibling who moved to the America’s and started a family there. However, I do not know much about that branch of the family tree.”

Mary looked thoughtfully at her cousin for a moment. “Do you know where in the America’s my father’s uncle settled?”

“If my memory serves me, I believe he settled in the colony of Virginia.”

Mary gasped. “My mother was born in Virginia.”

“Indeed? It could be possible that she was connected to the family somehow…other than through your father, of course. However, as I said, I know very little about that branch of the family; only that there exists a great deal of bad blood between their side and ours.”

They walked in silence for a while as Mary considered all that Derek had told her. She knew from her father that her mother had been a slave but he had never said from whom he had liberated her. Before Mary could consider the puzzle much longer, Derek began to ask her questions about her life on New Sussex and her time in England so far. Interspersed were subtle inquiries concerning Miss Darcy, which Mary answered with enthusiasm. They were thus happily engaged until the cold weather and the hour bid them return to the house.

Dinner that evening found Mary again separated from Fitzwilliam, much to her displeasure. He was seated to the left of Lady Letitia at the far end of the table. Upon looking toward Elizabeth, Mary noted her own confusion as to the arrangements that evening. However, she was heartened to be seated near Georgiana who offered her an encouraging smile when she caught her eye. They both conversed happily with Mr. Peterson and Mr. Brambles until the end of the meal and the separation of the sexes.

The interval between their separation and the men rejoining their party was blissfully short. Elizabeth had planned a series of entertainments for the evening. The party was to engage in a round of charades, a game to which Mr. Darcy appeared strangely adept. Mary could barely control the fit of giggles that sought to overtake her at the sight of Mr. Darcy attempting to act out The Marriage of Figaro. Following charades, the party broke off into various card games while Mary and Georgiana made silhouettes of whomever was willing to sit for them. Mary made no effort to suppress the smile that crossed her features upon noting Georgiana’s becoming blush when Mr. Peterson sat for his silhouette.

“Miss Farthington,” Colonel Fitzwilliam addressed her as she finished taking Elizabeth’s silhouette. “Would you do me the honor of allowing me to take your silhouette?”

“I thought that silhouette making was a woman’s occupation?” Elizabeth teased as she quitted her seat before the screen.

“As my brother can attest, growing up in a house full of unruly brothers were our antics often found us confined to the nursery, we learned to take up a number of pastimes usually thought of as being fully in the province of women.”

“Good God, Richard. There are some stories from our childhood that should not be bandied about,” the Viscount protested from his seat at the whist table across the room.

“Now I am intrigued,” Elizabeth laughed. “I must hear all!”

“My brother would have me swear to secrecy, but I will confess a few exploits if it will please Miss Farthington,” Fitzwilliam offered as he took Mary by the hand and led her to the seat Elizabeth had just vacated.

“I must confess that I am intrigued as well. Do tell us one story if it would not bring your brother too much pain.”

Fitzwilliam squeezed her hand briefly before planting a kiss on her fingers. “If it will bring my Princess pleasure than I am obliged to comply.”

Mary ducked her head in embarrassment, so sure was she that the entire room heard his comment. When she looked up her eyes met the narrowed gaze of the Viscountess.

“When we were quite young, I but six years old to the exalted Viscount’s twelve years, we took much delight in terrorizing the scullery maids by secreting frogs, snakes and other creatures obnoxious to females into the kitchens. These deeds often found us confined indoors during choice spring and summer weeks with most of our toys taken from us. So, to pass the time we took up needlepoint and embroidery of cushions.”

The room broke out in laughter at this pronouncement.

“Next you shall declare that we took up lace making,” the Viscount protested with mock outrage.

“If I remember correctly, your work was quite good,” Darcy commented. “I remember one occasion when I mistook one of Richard’s pillows to be Anne’s handiwork.”

“And I am not ashamed to accept the compliment. I was quite accomplished for my age,” Fitzwilliam replied as he seated himself in Mary’s former chair. “I do not think my skills at the silhouette are quite as refined and I have been out of practice these last fifteen years, but I shall make a go of it. Besides, this provides me with an excellent excuse to closely observe an example of feminine beauty without fear of censure.”

Mary’s cheeks heated anew at this pronouncement and she was unable to mask the pleased smile that broke out over her face. Mary’s face did not return to its normal temperature for the duration of her sitting. Fitzwilliam made a great show of correcting her posture and adjusting the tilt of her chin or the set of her shoulders with his hand. Whenever she happened to move out of position in the slightest he would make a great deal of protest about her movements reducing the quality of his work and how he was obliged to begin again. This would lead to another round of posture and position adjustments that most of the party found quite diverting. In total, Mary’s silhouette took a full hour and a half to complete. Elizabeth and Georgiana declared the finish product to bear an uncanny resemblance to their friend.

The party dispersed to their respective quarters after the eleventh hour. Mary went to bed pleasantly tired and filled with expectation for the coming day of amusement.

*****************

Darcy sat in bed watching his wife brush out her long chestnut locks by the fire. They were still wet from her bath and the heat of the fire slowly dried them as she worked the boar bristled brush through the strands. While her maid could have easily and happily handled the task, Elizabeth insisted on completing it herself especially as she knew that her husband derived much pleasure from watching the activity.

“Fitzwilliam. I was wondering if you could solve a conundrum that has been perplexing me all evening.”

Darcy did not have to see the arch of her brow to know that his wife was not pleased with the alleged conundrum and that said conundrum was not perplexing in the least.

“I am at your service,” Darcy replied as he sat up straighter in the bed.

“This house party and upcoming ball has been the work of many weeks. The planning of where to house whom, what to serve for the meals and teas, what flowers to have brought in from the hothouse and where to place them, the choice of dinnerware, the entertainments…Well, I am sure you can begin to see how much work and detail has gone into this event.”

“Of course, my dear. And may I say that the party has been a splendid success so far.”

“Thank you, my dear. I know. You can understand then, that any derivation from the plan does not go unnoticed and can in fact cause a great deal of distress. Why, this very evening the seating arrangements during dinner were different from what I had so carefully planned. Lady Letitia was moved from beside the Viscount to be seated to the right of Richard while Richard, who had been seated to the left of Mary, was moved to the left of Letitia. This left their side of the table to be seated girl, boy, boy, girl, girl, boy. Not to mention, I was left with at least two dinner guests who enjoyed the meal to a considerably lesser degree than they would have under the planned arrangement. This happened tonight as well as the night before. What could have possibly gone wrong?”

Darcy squirmed slightly under the covers. “Well, as I am sure you have already determined, I altered the seating arrangements.”

“Yes, I know. What I do not understand is why you chose to do so. Was not the planning of the house party and ball to be completely under my direction?”

“Yes, you are quite right and I apologize for not consulting you before I made the changes.”

“Well, I cannot determine if I should accept your apology, husband, until I know why you changed the seating.”

Darcy sighed. He knew that Elizabeth would not like his explanation.

“I placed Richard next to Letitia because I did not think it proper for Richard to be always seated next to Mary especially given our expanded party.”

Elizabeth stopped her brushing and turned to face her husband, her aspect anything but pleased.

“And why would it be improper for Mary to merely sit next to Richard during an evening meal?”

“Come, Elizabeth. You know my objections to the match. While I promised to consider it further, I did not promise to encourage them,” Darcy explained as he quit the bed and walked towards his wife. “Besides, Lady Letitia would be an excellent match for Richard and I thought that he should be given the opportunity to consider his options before making his choice.”

“Lady Letitia is vapid and spoiled, as you well know, and Richard merely tolerates her for the sake of his brother.”

“Elizabeth!”

“Well, it is the truth! That would be a horrible match no matter the amount of fortune or connections Letitia would bring to the union. Richard would be miserable.”

“Well, it does not signify because it is clear to me that Richard has already made his choice and from his behavior tonight he shows no signs of concealing his preference from his brother’s family,” Darcy continued as he took the brush from his wife’s hands to complete the task.

“Oh, Richard was just engaging in some harmless fun for which I am grateful. Everyone found it very diverting. Mary did not appear to enjoy herself very much today until after dinner, which is a shame because this party is really for her.”

“Is it merely for her amusement, Elizabeth, or are you engaged in some matchmaking scheme of your own?”

Elizabeth made to protest but Darcy merely waived her off.

“What is done is done. I begin to see that my interference will do little to dissuade him and Mary seems to accept his attentions with pleasure. I have also began to reconsider my opposition to the match…”

Elizabeth clapped happily at this pronouncement and made to embrace her husband.

“Please, Elizabeth, hear me out. I have only begun to reconsider; I have not yet decided to grant Richard the permission he seeks. I still maintain that should they marry they will face a great deal of opposition from our relations and society at large. It would not be an easy marriage and Richard would have to give up much to which he has become accustomed. What I had not considered is the sort of protection Richard might bring Mary through their union. There is some information that Mr. Brambles shared with me the other day of which you should be made aware.”

Elizabeth listened to Darcy’s explanation with increasing alarm.

“Is Mr. Brambles quite certain that Mary would be in danger from these relatives?”

“No, he only speculates. He fears that her estate rather than her person would be the likely targets of their ill will. There is no need to be alarmed. Now that we are aware that there exists those who would do Mary harm, we can take steps to protect her and her estate,” Darcy sighed as he ran the brush through her curls.

“I had considered that Mary would be the target of fortune hunters once she is introduced in London but I admit that this did not factor into my reasoning regarding Richard’s intentions. We know Richard to be an honorable man who has sincere affection for Mary. Also, while he has no fortune of his own, he is not desperate for funds.”

“You must also allow that the union would make Mary and Richard very happy indeed,” Elizabeth.

“Of course. Yet, all this still does not outweigh the trouble such a union would bring them both. And besides, I am sure there are a few honorable gentlemen of our acquaintance whom would be adequate matches for Mary whom also have the benefit of a relatively inconspicuous social status.”

Elizabeth thought to argue the point with her husband but chose to hold her tongue. The very fact that Fitzwilliam was considering the advantages of a marriage between Richard and Mary was a great deal of progress.

“Fitzwilliam, can you please promise not to alter the arrangements I have made for this house party or the ball without consulting me first?”

“Yes, dear,” Darcy replied as he leaned towards his wife to give her an apologetic kiss. He was grateful that this seemed to be the end of the discussion.

****************

Mary ran through the halls of Pemberley with as much dignity as she could muster. The party was engaged in a game of sardines and she did not have long before Elizabeth would be done with her counting. Mary was determined to find an excellent hiding place and emerge victorious. She knew this would not be an easy feat, as Elizabeth surely knew the best hiding places in her own home. They had the entire house save for the servant’s quarters, kitchens and laundry at their disposal. Here and there she could see the other partygoers ducking into various rooms and broom closets. Even the children were allowed to partake in the afternoon’s entertainments. Sir Little Bits and Sir Kelvin had chosen the more obvious place of Mr. Darcy’s study to hide.

Mary ran up several flights of stairs to hide in the less used fourth floor guest rooms. She was very surprised that none of the other players were choosing a similar hiding place. Making sure that she wasn’t being followed, Mary ducked inside a vacant guest room and made for the armoire in the corner of the room. After several minutes of hiding, Mary heard the door to the room creak open and shut. Sure that she would be found, Mary held her breath so as not to make a sound.

“Really, I do not know why we have to participate in these childish amusements.”

“We must strive to be obliging guests, Letitia. Besides, what did you expect from a woman who has spent all of her life in the country? I am sure in Meryton or whatever hamlet Darcy found her in that this is the height of sophisticated entertainment.”

The Viscountess and Lady Letitia shared a bit of derisive laughter.

“Besides, soon this family will be your own family and you know that the Colonel is inordinately fond of Darcy and his country bride. You shall have to learn to endure these family gatherings a few times out of the year.”

Mary gasped audibly before quickly covering her mouth with her hand.

“Of course you are right, Daniela. However, when we are finally wed I hope to limit our attendance of such gatherings. I do wish that Richard would hurry and speak with papa. This long understanding is so tiresome. I do not understand his need for delay or secrecy.”

“Oh, Letitia dear, I do understand your impatience. However, you must understand the ways of the world. Richard is still relatively young and a military man. I am sure that he is just indulging in his last bit of fun before settling down in a life of respectability. Besides, few men are able to resist the allure of an exotic.”

“Yes, it is quite abhorrent how he carries on with that Farthington girl,” Letitia replied with a huff. “You would think he would be more discrete with his arrangements.”

“I am sure that he usually is, my dear. Darcy would not knowingly allow him to carry on a flirtation with his ward. He is such a stickler for decorum. Perhaps he just had a bit too much to drink while the gentlemen were separated.”

“Perhaps you are right, cousin. You are always so wise about such things. However, I shall speak to him about his behavior. If we are to marry he must know what I expect of him.”

“Come, Letitia. Let’s find another hiding place. I fear that we shall be at this game forever if we remain here.”

Mary listened as Lady Letitia and the Viscountess exited the room. Once she was sure that she was alone, Mary stepped out of the armoire on shaky legs. Gathering as much composure as she could muster, she quietly made her way from the room towards her own by way of the servant’s stairs so as she would not be found. She no longer cared much for participating in the game. When she arrived, she rang for April and instructed her to tell Elizabeth that she was not well and would be resting for the remainder of the afternoon in her rooms.

Once she was alone, Mary allowed herself to give way to her tears. She could not credit what she had heard but she could not discredit it either. What purpose would Lady Letitia and her cousin have in concocting such a story to tell among themselves. She did not think that the ladies were delusional and there was no way they would have known she was secreted away in the armoire. Mary was sure that she was not followed when she chose her hiding place.

However, Mary could not believe that the alternative was true: that Richard had deceived her so completely. All of his actions and words to her where made with such sincerity and depth of emotion. He had pledged his heart to her. Yet, it had been several weeks and he had not spoken to Mr. Darcy to seek his consent to the match. They did not have a formal courtship arrangement and there had been no proposal. If his heart were truly her own, why the need for secrecy? Elizabeth’s warning and Georgiana’s accusation returned fresh to her memory.

Mary flushed with shame at the liberties that she had allowed him. While he had not taken her as a mistress outright, if their activities were known she would be thoroughly compromised. How foolish she had been!

Mary wept for many minutes before she was interrupted by a knock at the door. Mary hastily wiped her face dry before bidding her visitor to enter.

“Mary, April said that you are unwell,” Elizabeth said as she made her way to the bedside, Georgiana and Beatrice in tow. “Should I send for the doctor?”

“No, Elizabeth. I…I just have a headache. I merely need to rest,” Mary replied truthfully. She had wept herself into quite a nasty headache.

“Have you been weeping, dearie?” Beatrice inquired, her face drawn in concern.

Mary shook her head in denial. “I just need some rest, that is all.”

Elizabeth and Georgiana exchanged a doubtful look.

“I will have cook send up some tea and I will check on you in a few hours. If you are not much improved, I will call Dr. Roberts no matter what you say.”

Mary sighed before nodding her acceptance.

“Rest well, Mary.” Georgiana kissed her friend on the forehead before leaving the room with Elizabeth.

Beatrice shared a discrete nod with Elizabeth before moving towards the side table where she wet a cloth with the pitcher and basin before seating herself on the bed beside Mary. She silently took the cool cloth and gently wiped Mary’s cheeks, brow and eyes. Mary sighed under the ministrations.

“I shall be fine, Beatrice. You should not miss out on the rest of the afternoon’s amusements on my account.”

“Pish, posh,” Beatrice tutted as she set aside the cloth to stroke Mary’s head. “I would much rather be up here with you. Elizabeth and Georgiana are lovely women, but I will gladly avoid the pleasure of the Superior Cousin’s company any day.”

Beatrice laughed lightly until she noticed that Mary had begun to cry anew.

“What is the matter, dear?”

Mary shook her head in the negative, finding it too difficult to speak.

“I may not have had any daughters of my own, but I was once a young lady of not quite twenty myself. Come, child, you can tell me what is wrong. I promise to keep everything in the utmost confidence. I cannot be easy knowing that you are so miserable.”

“Oh Beatrice, I have been so foolish!” Mary sobbed.

Beatrice merely coaxed Mary to rest her head in her lap and tell her everything as she continued to pat her head and back. Mary revealed the entire tale, from her first meeting with Colonel Fitzwilliam to the overheard conversation that shattered her entire world. Beatrice listened without interruption and refrained from speaking until Mary’s sobs had quieted and she lay limply in her lap. She dared not offer any admonishments for Mary’s behavior as Mary heaped plenty upon herself.

******************

Lady Letitia practically floated into the Viscountess’ rooms.

“Oh, Daniela, your plan worked better than you anticipated,” Letitia trilled as she fell upon the settee.

“Do comport yourself with some dignity,” the Viscountess chided her cousin as she dismissed her maid and finished placing her jewelry herself.

“Miss Farthington has become unwell and shall not be joining us for dinner. She must have believed every word we said!”

“As I knew she would. She is really just a simple girl and too trusting by far. I must give you some credit, Letitia, for seeing what I had refused to notice until last night. You can rest easy now knowing that the chit won’t presume to aspire to catch the Colonel’s interest. If his intentions towards her were honorable, she will now have none of it being convinced he is a cad.”

“It is all so perfect,” Letitia laughed before sobering quickly. “But, are you very sure that he won’t learn of our trickery?”

“How would he know? Miss Farthington will most likely be too ashamed to confront him and if she does, she would hardly admit to eavesdropping.”

The Viscountess rose and smoothed out her skirts.

“Now everything is up to you, Letitia. You must secure him.”

“Oh, but the house party is almost over and even if Miss Farthington is no longer a concern, there is still no guarantee that he will take notice of me. Stupid man.”

“Now, now Letitia. That is no way to speak of your fiancée. You still have one more day of the house party and the ball to secure him. Mrs. Darcy had planned a few activities perfect for matchmaking. Tomorrow we shall just do a bit of arranging of our own to throw you into each other’s company.”