Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.



Chapter 2

Three days had passed since Mr. Bramble's sudden departure from Pemberley. Mary had yet to receive more than a perfunctory letter from the gentleman informing her of his safe arrival in London. Over breakfast, Georgiana comforted Mary as best she could; assuring her that she had no need to worry. Mary could not understand what could have been so urgent as to require Mr. Bramble's immediate attention. However, she rallied her spirits to make her now obligatory visit to little William. He had come to expect Mary's visit each afternoon at precisely half past one and Mary could not bring herself to disappoint him.

"Princess Mary, will you tell me a story?" William asked as he ran over to her chair in the nursery.

Raising the small boy to sit in her lap, Mary ran a hand through his wild dark curls.

"Nothing would give me more pleasure, little one. Which story would you prefer? Would you like to hear about the terrible sea monster and the pirate Greybeard or about little Juju and the witch of Gorland Wood?"

"Tell me about the witch, Mary. I should like to hear that one," William replied as he nestled himself into the crook of Mary's left arm.

Mary placed a soft kiss atop of his head before beginning her tale of an adventurous boy named Juju and the peril he found when he tried to steal magic potion from the witch of Gorland Wood. William laughed, shuddered, gasped and cheered throughout her yarn. By the time Mary finished the tale, with little Juju escaping the evil witch alive but with the tail of a squirrel, William lay yawning in her arms.

"Can I hear another, Princess Mary?" William asked with a yawn. "Won't you tell just one more?"

"No, William. You shall have to wait until tomorrow. Then I shall tell you the story of Greybeard the Pirate. But, for now, you must be off for a nap and I have business elsewhere."

Kissing William on his cheek, Mary passed the contented child to his nanny. She then took her leave of the nursery to take a much-desired walk. When she woke that morning, Mary's heart was warmed to see that the sky was free of clouds and the sun shone bright and warm, melting much of the remaining snow that had stubbornly clung to the trees and pathways for the past few weeks. She had not ventured outside for several days and she reckoned that the fresh air would do her health and mind some good. Mary scampered down the main staircase as quickly as her legs would safely carry her. She did not want to miss the opportunity of enjoying such a rare early December day. Mr. Darcy was just crossing the foyer as she reached the bottom of the stair.

"Good morning, Mr. Darcy," Mary curtsied her greeting.

"Good morning, Mary," Darcy paused to return her bow and favor her with a smile. "Where are you off to in such a hurry?"

"I am off to take a walk. I have been most anxious to get outside and the weather today favors me."

"Ah, I might have guessed. If Elizabeth were not otherwise engaged, I am sure she would have beaten you to the door. I hope you have not forgotten to oblige little William with another of your tales this morning. Last night he spoke of nothing else save his princess and her amazing yarns. It appears as if you are a regular Sharazad, enchanting my son with your stories."

Mary laughed. "Yes, I have just come from the nursery. I would never forget William's story."

"Good, good. Enjoy your walk, Mary. Do be careful to dress warmly and not to stray too far from the house. The weather is fine, but I bid you to be cautious," Darcy warned, taking on his most fatherly tone.

Mary nodded in reply before making her way to the front door and calling for her coat, bonnet and gloves. As soon as she was sufficiently far from the house, Mary set off at a fast clip gathering her skirts in her hands as not to trip. Delighting in the fresh crisp air and warmth of the sun, Mary ventured farther from the house than she intended. Soon even the cold did not bother her as her limbs were warmed with the exertion of her flight.

Arriving at the lake, Mary slowed to a leisurely stroll breathing deeply. She stopped and bent down to retrieve a stick that was jutting out of the muddy bank. She drew back her arm and tossed the stick into the lake, frowning slightly when it skidded to a halt after sliding a few feet on the icy surface. The lake was a rather poor replacement for the Atlantic.

Sitting down on a relatively dry tree stump, Mary allowed herself to become lost in memories of her home in New Sussex, remembering her times with Lord Farthington and the lonely months when he was away on travels. Those were the most unpleasant times of her memory. His work often took him to America and the Caribbean colonies where he and his colleagues would document the atrocities of the slave trade in an attempt to sway the English public to the abolitionist cause. When Mary was a young girl, she could not comprehend why Lord Farthington refused to take her on these journeys. Mary viewed them as an opportunity for adventure, not able to understand the danger involved in these missions. Mary would cry bitterly on her governess' shoulder while she watched his ship cast sail from port, knowing that it would be months before she saw her father again. On one occasion when Lord Farthington was preparing for a trip to Virginia, Mary, then just six years old, packed a small bag complete with a piece of fruit, her favorite doll and a bonnet and placed it gingerly on top of Lord Farthington's trunks. Donning his hat and coat, Lord Farthing smiled gently at Mary as he picked up the meager parcel.

"What do we have here, Miss Mary? Are you preparing for a trip?" he asked as he stooped down next to her, peering gently into her brown eyes.

"I am coming with you, Papa," Mary replied innocently, her eyes shining with expectation.

Lord Farthington sighed as he opened her little bag, smiling as he took note of its contents. "I see that you packed well, little one. You even remembered Lady Rubela." Passing the small brown cloth doll to Mary, he gently stroked her cheek with his free hand. "You know that I cannot take you with me, Mary, no matter how much I would delight in your company."

Mary's sweet smile slipped into a pout and she hugged Lady Rubela tightly. "But I hate it when you go away. Nana makes me play alone all day and there is only Madam Bellaire for company. She is very boring. She only knits ugly lace caps and scolds me in French."

Lord Farthington swallowed his laughter at Mary's description of her governess. Sitting on one of his trunks, Lord Farthington gathered Mary in his arms and sat her on his lap.

"My trips are very dangerous, sweetling. They are no place for a little girl such as yourself."

"Why do you have to go away?" Mary asked looking up at him with wide eyes, sniffing so as to keep her tears at bay. She tried to keep a brave face, knowing how Lord Farthington disliked excessive tears.

"You know that I only go away to help people who are in trouble, people who have been stolen from their homes and their mommies and daddies and made to work for cruel people. I must go, Mary to help them be free. You have never put up such a fuss before. What is so important about this trip?"

"Because Mother was born in Virginia," Mary said in a low whisper, her head bowed to prevent him from seeing the few tears that began to roll down her cheek.

Lord Farthington sighed deeply, before kissing her lightly on the forehead and gathering her closer to him. He was pleased at her interest in her mother and her own history but saddened as he recounted in his heart her mother's struggles and fate. He had told Mary stories about her mother, although his stories were a gentler version of reality. Her mother was called Dinah, he had told her, and she lived on a large farm in Virginia where they grew tobacco that men sometimes liked to smoke. Dinah was very beautiful with the same large brown eyes of Mary and a kind smile for all with even white teeth like a string of pearls. Her hair was long and braided in a thick rope that rested on her back and she worked as a maid in a large grand white house. When he met her, she was in danger from a terrible man. Lord Farthington stole her away to protect her. Already laden with child, Dinah gave birth to Mary early while traveling to New Sussex without the aid of a midwife and only the ship's physician who was inexperienced in such matters. Mary was born at sea and was counted a miracle because she was born so small but was strong. Lord Farthington told her how he laughed in spite of himself at the strength of the grip of her little hand on his thumb. He named her Mary because it meant "sea of bitterness" and "hoped for child." Dinah died soon after childbirth, slipping into a deep contented sleep after the difficult delivery. Lord Farthington had told her this story many times, lulling her to sleep with descriptions of her mother's strength, beauty and kindness. Mary longed for anything connected to the woman that haunted her dreams.

"Do you know what would please me exceedingly, little one?" Lord Farthington asked, his green eyes crinkling at the corners as he smiled gently down at her. "I would be very grateful if you would do me the honor of stitching this cloth for me. You can practice your stitching on this and whenever we are parted again, I will keep it in my breast pocket so that you will be near me."

Mary sadly obliged, taking the white handkerchief from him before receiving another gentle kiss on the cheek. Mary would never forget the gentleness of Lord Farthington's refusal nor the sadness her childlike heart felt watching his ship depart that morning. As she grew in maturity, she began to understand the nature of Lord Farthington's work and his refusal to bring her with him on his missions. However, she was afforded the opportunity of touring Europe with her guardian upon her 16th birthday. Their travels during those eight months were among her favorite memories; the excitement of a young woman encountering the great wide world for the first time was forever imprinted on her mind.

During her reverie, Mary had abandoned the cold tree stump to wander around the edge of the lake, her eyes fixed on the quiet waters almost unseeing. As she neared the glade that bordered one side of the lake, she did not notice the sound of hoof beats quickly approaching. Suddenly, a great brown horse was before Mary, rearing back on its hind legs and nearly unseating its rider. In a panic, Mary cried out, shielding her face with her hands as she fell back onto the cold damp earth. For his part, the rider of the great beast appeared to be equally astonished, releasing a shout of his own as he brought his horse under control. Quickly dismounting his horse, he hurried to the young woman's side.

"Forgive me, madam. Are you hurt?" the man asked as he knelt beside her.

"No, I am quite alright," Mary replied as she struggled to catch her breath. "However, I do require your assistance in standing."

"Of course," he replied before gently taking her arm and lifting her to her feet. He tried to get a look at the woman's face, but her bent head and bonnet prevented him.

Mary busied herself with brushing off her now wet gown and regaining her composure before confronting the man who had nearly trampled her.

"Let me offer my sincerest apologies once again, my lady," the man replied bowing low as he took one of her gloved hands into his. "The fault is all mine as my foolhardy and reckless riding endangered you. Allow me to…" The man paused as he rose and met her gaze, flushing slightly at the sight of her countenance.

Mary's breath caught in her throat as she looked at the stranger, who was not so foreign after all. Mary could not forget the deep blue laughing eyes nor the unruly black curls of the man before her. He appeared even more handsome than in his portrait, the passage of a few years adding a pleasing refinement to his features.

"I accept your apologies, Colonel Fitzwilliam. I too was not aware of my surroundings and I fear I nearly caused you injury by frightening your horse."

"Forgive me, ma'am. I did not realize that we had the pleasure of meeting before. My deepest apologies for my rudeness," the Colonel released her hand, a fine blush spreading over his face.

"No need for apologies, Colonel. We have not met formally; it is just that… I am acquainted with your face from a likeness I have recently seen. Let me introduce myself. My name is Mary Caroline Farthington. I reside at Pemberley and am in the guardianship of Mr. and Mrs. Darcy. I have been in residence here for just over a month." Mary replied.

"It is an honor to make your acquaintance, Miss Farthington," the Colonel bowed again before shifting uncomfortably from one foot to another. He stared at Mary in a manner she found most peculiar.

"Well," Mary began after an awkward silence, "it has been a pleasure making your acquaintance. While I do enjoy your company, I must return to the house. I fear that the cold is becoming too much for me, especially given the dampness of my gown."

"Forgive me for my rudeness, madam," the Colonel replied as he recovered himself. "Would you allow me the pleasure of escorting you to the house?"

Mary nodded her assent and shivered. She had been out of doors far too long and began to question the wisdom of her morning jaunt. Her longing for fresh air had overridden her better judgment. The Colonel divested himself of his overcoat and held it out towards Mary. She eyed him warily before the man flushed anew.

"You are chilled. Please, take my coat," he explained before placing it around Mary's shoulders. Mary made to protest but the Colonel would not hear of it.

"I am flattered by your concern for my health, Miss Farthington, but I am an old army man quite accustomed to facing the extremities. Furthermore, my carelessness is the reason for your damp state and I would never forgive myself if you caught cold."

"Thank you, sir," Mary replied as she lowered her head and tightened his coat around her shoulders. The Colonel's coat had the smell of musk, which Mary found both comforting and unsettling.

"Miss Farthington, should we begin our journey to the house?"

"Yes, yes. I am sure they are wondering after my absence." Mary took two steps forward and winced noticeably in pain. She had presumed herself uninjured at her ability to stand, but the effort of walking pained her left ankle greatly.

"You are hurt, Miss Farthington," the Colonel exclaimed, his eyes widened in worry as he took her right arm.

"No, it is only a trifle, I am sure that I can make it unassisted," Mary replied with a weak smile. She attempted another two steps before crying out in earnest and leaning heavily on the Colonel.

"No, no this will not do," the Colonel stated firmly, his voice beginning to take on the command of his rank. "You must permit me to place you upon my horse. The house is two miles off at least, too far for me to carry you and an impossible distance for you to go on in this manner. I will walk beside you and hold the reigns."

Mary gasped both at the mention of being carried by the Colonel and the suggestion of riding his horse. She had no experience upon horses, never having proper lessons and she was somewhat shaken by her first encounter with the great animal. She began to think of how she could get home by other means. It was too cold and her gown too wet to for her to wait there by the lake while he rode for assistance. It was indeed too far for him to carry her and to arrive at Pemberley clutched in the Colonel's arms would cause quite a stir. Mary returned her eyes to the Colonel, her brow knit with worry. He simply smiled in return, the act rendering his face even more handsome. Mary quickly returned her gaze to the horse that whinnied and stomped in greeting. Mary took a step back, wincing as she put weight on her injured ankle.

"How frightfully rude of me," the Colonel began, his eyes twinkling with mischief. "You have not been properly introduced. Miss Farthingon, may I have the honor of introducing you to my faithful steed, Beauregard." He bowed with a flourish as he led the horse toward a frightened Mary.

"He may snort and stomp a fine show, but he is the most gentle of creatures."

Mary eyed the Colonel warily, not fooled by his attempt at humor, to which he replied with a wide disarming smile.

"You may pet him, if it pleases you Miss Farthington. He is quite harmless and a perfect gentleman."

The Colonel gently stroked Beauregard's side to demonstrate the safety of the action. Glancing at him timidly, Mary reached out a tentative hand to the horse. Mary's fear began to give way to delight as she gently stroked Beauregard's side, enjoying the feel of the animal's soft hair underneath her glove. The Colonel laughed gently, causing Mary to favor him with a shy smile.

"Miss Farthington, I think I have come to a solution for our dilemma. I will place you on Beauregard and I will ride in the saddle behind you guiding the reigns and insuring that you do not take a tumble. I can see no other reasonable option at the time. Does this arrangement suit you?"

Mary averted her glance, looking in the direction of the house. While the prospect of riding Beauregard frightened her, the idea of being in such close proximity to the Colonel worried her. She already found herself responding to him in a most unfamiliar way and wanted to err on the side of propriety. However, riding was her best option. Surely, no one could view it as improper but rather as a prudent decision given the circumstances.

"I can see the wisdom in such an action. Now comes the matter of my mounting your horse." Mary turned her head to Beauregard, his height intimidating her once more. She doubted her ability to mount him with any grace.

Smiling gently, the Colonel placed his hands firmly around her waist and blushed at her sudden intake of breath. Giving her words of reassurance, he lifted her with little trouble onto Beauregard and swiftly took his place behind her. Mary was too frightened to be alarmed by the closeness of the Colonel or by the warmth of his hands as he gently released her fingers from the reigns so that he might guide the horse. It was not until Beauregard set off at a gentle trot and Mary was jolted back against the Colonel's chest that Mary noticed their proximity to one another. He instinctively closed one arm around her as he guided the horse with the other.

After a few moments, Mary's nerves calmed, reassured by the gentle pace of the creature and the Colonel's adeptness as a horseman. Riding with her legs to one side in the fashion of a lady, Mary found that she had nestled closely to the colonel, her cheek pressed against his chest and her arms circled about him. Mary's cheeks warmed at the realization; she was heartily ashamed of her foolish fear that led her to such an impropriety. Mary quickly moved to put some distance between them, raising her head from his chest and releasing her arms from around his waist. She tentatively raised her eyes to view the Colonel, worried at his reaction to her behavior. His eyes claimed hers as his lips curved into another disarming smile. Their eyes locked for several moments before Mary turned away to look down the path before them.

"See, Miss Farthington, your fears are quite unfounded. Beauregard is indeed a gentle beast and you are quite safe here beside me," the Colonel offered.

"Yes, you were quite right," Mary murmured.

Undaunted by the sparseness of her reply, he ventured for an easier avenue of conversation. "So, Miss Farthington, where did you call home before you came to Pemberley?"

"I lived on the isle of New Sussex in the Caribbean, sir. It is there where I lived all my life until now."

"New Sussex," he repeated, his voice bright with excitement. "I believe that I am familiar with that island. During my last deployment, our ship docked briefly on the island to refresh our provisions. From the short time I was there, I found it to be a most handsome place. I particularly remember the whiteness of the sand and the purity of the water. The water was so pure that a man could stand waist deep and see his boots as clearly as if he were on dry ground."

Mary turned to look up at the Colonel, her interest immediately piqued at the mention of her home. She was surprised that he should know of New Sussex. They chatted at length about New Sussex and their experiences of crossing the Atlantic before they arrived at the house. Mary had long forgotten her fear and discomfort, so enthralled by the Colonel's easy conversation. When they reached the front steps, Colonel Fitzwilliam jumped down from Beauregard and passed the reigns to a waiting servant. Mary immediately missed his warmth and regretted that their ride had come to an end.

"May I help you down, my lady?" the Colonel asked, his voice once again taking on a playful tone.

Mary smiled down at the Colonel, who was bent in an obsequious bow. "Yes, kind sir. Your assistance would be most appreciated."

The Colonel gently placed Mary on the ground not releasing his hold upon her waist as he leaned in towards her.

"I know what I am about to ask may shock your gentle sensibilities," he whispered. "I only ask as you are hurt and are in no condition to climb the stairs. May I have permission to carry you into the house?"

Mary nodded, having realized that it would come to this. Someone would have to carry her in or arrange a stretcher to ferry her inside. She did not want to cause an unnecessary stir in the house and did not look favorably on attempting the stairs on her own.

Colonel Fitzwilliam lifted Mary with little effort, carrying her as one would a babe, her arms clasped around his neck for support as he clutched her under her knees and across her upper back. Mary was mortified anew at their increased closeness, heat rushing to her cheeks as she looked everywhere but at the Colonel. Their entrance into the foyer caused quite a commotion, as the butler had rushed to announce their arrival and the condition of Miss Farthington. Georgiana was the first to hurry into the space, her feelings torn between concern for her injured friend and delight at the arrival of her favorite cousin. Close on her heels were Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth.

"Cousin Richard! Mary! Mr. Thomas said that you were injured on the grounds! Are you well? What happened? Do you need a doctor?" Georgiana questioned rapidly as she flew to Mary's side.

Mary's mortification gave way to her friend's sincere concern and she ventured a weak smile.

"Georgiana, it is nothing to worry about. I was just startled by Colonel Fitzwilliam's horse and fell injuring my ankle. It is nothing really, merely a trifle. The Colonel has been good enough to see me here safely, and for that he has my sincere gratitude." Mary turned to smile warmly at the Colonel whom she found staring down at her intently. She flushed inwardly before returning her attention to her worried friend.

"Welcome, cousin. I see that you have managed to make quite an entrance as usual." Darcy greeted him, one eyebrow raised.

"Greetings, Darcy. It is a pleasure to be at Pemberley again," the Colonel replied, before his smile morphed into a mischievous grin. "It would appear that I happened upon a fairy on the road and having injured her delicate ankle, I am now bid to carry her to safety."

"We are grateful for your assistance to Mary, Richard. No matter the nature of your entrance, you are most welcome," Elizabeth answered stepping forward to greet her cousin. "I believe we should send for a doctor for Mary. No matter how much you attest to your wellness, I would have your ankle properly seen to. Richard, would you be so good as to carry Mary to her room? Georgiana and I will show you the way."

Looking over the Colonel's shoulder as they ascended the stairs, Mary could see that Mr. Darcy was not pleased at the recent turn of affairs. Mortification took her anew as she was most desirous of his good opinion in all things.

"Here we are, Miss Farthington," Colonel Fitzwilliam began as he entered her chamber following Georgiana and Elizabeth. "I have delivered you safely to your abode as intended."

"Thank you," Mary managed as the Colonel gently placed her onto a settee by the fireplace. Georgiana rushed to place a cushion under her ankle.

"It was a pleasure making your acquaintance, Miss Farthington, although I wish it had been under more pleasant circumstances," the Colonel ventured with a slight smile.

"The pleasure was mine, as well. I am sorry for startling your horse. I did not mean to be the cause of such commotion or to kindle any anger in Mr. Darcy towards you," Mary began as she looked at the Colonel intently.

"You take too much upon yourself, Miss Farthington. I must have all the blame, take none for yourself. And do not trouble yourself with Darcy, I know my cousin well. He is merely protective of those in his care and his anger will pass when he is assured that you are well. Speaking of my dear cousin, I should speak to him now. Georgiana, Elizabeth, Miss Farthington, I take my leave of you." The Colonel bowed to each lady in turn before making his way for the door.

"Cousin Richard," Elizabeth called as he reached the door. "Thank you again for your care of Mary. It is most appreciated."

Colonel Fitzwilliam nodded before heading down the corridor in search of his cousin.


The Colonel found Darcy sitting in the library in expectation of his arrival. Standing to greet his cousin, Darcy clasped Fitzwilliam on the shoulder in salute before enfolding him in a brief embrace.

"Cousin, it has been far too long since I last saw you." Fitzwilliam began, taking a seat across from him.

"And I you," Darcy replied with a broad smile before taking a seat. "While I am delighted at your arrival, I am curious to the manner of your entrance. You are three days early without so much as a trunk at your disposal. Not to mention the affair with Miss Farthington."

"Well, I found myself able to slip away from the regiment earlier than previously expected and so I took the opportunity to surprise you all. It is not as if Pemberley is ever unprepared for a guest!" Fitzwilliam smiled good naturedly, knowingly indulging Darcy's pride in the management of his estate.

Darcy regarded his cousin skeptically for a moment before smiling once more.

"Well, you are very welcome," Darcy replied. "Pemberley's doors are always open to you. Would you care for a drink?"

"That would be splendid."

Darcy nodded before rising from his seat and approaching the bar. He poured out two sniffers of brandy and handed one of them to Fitzwilliam. The two men sat in silence for several minutes slowly sipping their brandy.

Fitzwilliam nodded gravely. "It has been a long two years, dear cousin, two years that have given me a particular longing to be with my family," Fitzwilliam began, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees, his near empty sniffer held loosely in one hand. "When I last saw you, I did not envy you at all, despite your fortune and felicity in marriage to such an excellent woman. So many responsibilities were laid at your feet; so many lives tied to the correctness of your decisions or the whim of your conscious. Yet now I would trade the freedom of bachelorhood for your happy chains of family life."

At this, Fitzwilliam rose and stood by the fireplace. He could not begin to describe the events of the last two years to Darcy. Although they regularly took one another into their confidence, his deployment had brought with it memories and experiences that irrevocably altered him. Although he tried to present himself as the same sly charmer of his youth, age and experience had sobered him, creating a longing for a more peaceful and settled life. He desired a family and a reason for living beyond the will of the Crown or the pleasures of the flesh.

"The same can be said for you, Fitzwilliam. As a colonel you have your equal share of responsibilities and hardships," Darcy replied as he observed his cousin before continuing. "But what is this I hear about the 'happy chains of family life?' Why, Fitzwilliam, you talk quite like a man in need of a wife!"

Fitzwilliam turned to face his cousin, favoring Darcy with a sad smile before taking another sip of brandy.

"Nothing has overcome me other than the maturity a man attains by living out in the world. I am quite myself, just a tad bit wiser, I suppose.

"You are correct in assuming that my thoughts have turned lately to taking a wife. But this inclination is no different than that of any other man my age. I am nearly five and thirty! Not to mention my lot that father nearly daily reminds me of. As the lesser son of an earl, my future is tied to marrying well. Although I begin to think that I'd be just as pleased with the life of a simple commoner if I was as equally blessed in matrimony as you are, dear cousin."

Here Fitzwilliam paused, studying his glass of brandy. He thought of Elizabeth and how she had first enchanted him at Rosings Park with her bold impertinent nature. The same nagging question that he had debated these past five years taunted him once more: If he had cast aside family expectations and asked for the hand of Elizabeth, the daughter of a poor country gentleman, would he now know the happiness so evident in Darcy?

A pregnant silence settled over the room, causing both men to fidget uncomfortably. Fitzwilliam looked his cousin over intently, before deciding to change the subject.

"This talk of wives recalls to mind my injured fairy," Fitzwilliam began, resuming his seat. "So, Darcy, tell me more about Miss Farthington. The lady tells me that you are her guardian and just lately made so, at that!"

"Miss Mary Farthington," Darcy began, his eyebrow raised. "I wonder what there is left for you to know. You seem to be well acquainted with the lady already."

Fitzwilliam laughed at his cousin's renewed anger. "Come Darcy, it is not at all as bad as that. What the lady and I told you is the sum total of our encounter. I was riding off of the designated road, reacquainting myself with the grounds when I came upon Miss Farthington. I admit that I was quite caught up in my own thoughts and took no notice of the lady until I was upon her. My horse reared back, frightening her. She fell, injured her ankle and I rode with her back to the house. That, dear cousin, is the total of our acquaintance although I admit that the lady was already familiar with my name and face whereas I had no knowledge of her."

Seemingly appeased by Fitzwilliam's plain account of his dealings with Miss Farthington, Darcy began to acquaint the Colonel with all he knew regarding Mary, including her relation to his late father, Mr. Bramble's letter and finally Lord Farthington's request.

"That is amazing, Darcy. Doubling your wealth in one turn and acquiring a new charge? Your godfather must have thought highly of you, and I dare say his trust was not misplaced. Although I wonder at the urgency for guardianship; Miss Farthington appears to be a mature young woman. These attributes on top of her fortune would make her quite the eligible lady."

"Yes, which is precisely why Lord Farthington sought proper guardianship for the lady," Darcy began cutting him off. "We both know what befalls wealthy young ladies who are improperly protected."

Darcy relinquished his seat to poke nervously at the logs in the fireplace.

"Come cousin," Fitzwilliam replied coming to stand beside him. "You mustn't always torture yourself over Georgiana. We had no way of knowing Wickham's scheme and you ultimately prevented the disastrous elopement. And Georgiana has turned out most wonderfully; I believe she has quite recovered from the scoundrel."

"Yes, you are right, Fitzwilliam. Georgiana has recovered remarkably, although Elizabeth must be given due credit for that," Darcy sighed, casting aside the poker and leaning on the mantelpiece. "Still, you can imagine Miss Farthington's predicament. She has no older brother or titled uncles to give her guidance and her heritage only makes her more attractive to unscrupulous scoundrels."

"Then I suppose she is fortunate to be under your protection. Not many gentleman in your situation would do the same."

Darcy shrugged.

"As my father saw fit to extend his protection to her in the event of Lord Farthington's passing, how could I not honor his commitment?"

A knock was soon heard at the door as a maid arrived to announce the serving of luncheon. Darcy and Fitzwilliam happily made their way to the dining room. Fitzwilliam was eager to speak with his dear cousin Georgiana and to suffer the gentle teasing of Elizabeth. He was also hoping to converse with Miss Farthington once again.

Fitzwilliam was somewhat crestfallen to find that Mary could not join them and that Georgiana chose to sup with her as they awaited the arrival of the doctor. However, Elizabeth's report that she believed Mary had only suffered a minor sprain comforted him.

"It appears that your regimentals suit you after all, Richard," Elizabeth teased. "You have been Mary's knight in shining armor, plucking a hapless damsel in distress from the jaws of certain danger."

Fitzwilliam laughed heartily. "A fine knight I make. I cause damsels to be in distress and then arrive to save them from harm to reap all of the praise!"

Elizabeth laughed in response. Luncheon passed amicably as Fitzwilliam was soon appraised on all the latest news of their relations, including the birth of Lydia Wickham's third daughter, Mary Bennet's recent engagement to the brother of Charlotte Collins and the recent birth of Jane Bingley's third and fourth child…a pair of twin boys. Soon the arrival of Dr. Edwards interrupted them. Elizabeth excused herself to attend to the doctor and Mary.


Dr. Edwards' examination verified Elizabeth's suspicions that Mary suffered from no more than a minor sprain. A few days rest would see her well mended. Dr. Edwards advised that Mary avoid putting weight on her ankle and that she rest with it elevated as much as possible. While Mary was relieved that her injury was a minor one, she did not look forward to spending several days sequestered in her quarters, especially when such a lively houseguest had just arrived. Georgiana comforted her, promising to visit her often and take tea with her everyday. Elizabeth also promised to allow little William to spend his mornings with her, if she was up to the challenge.

"Of course, Elizabeth. I would love to have visits from William. I am sure my little shadow would miss his stories terribly otherwise. He is a dear child and we shall get along fine. I only worry that he will bore of me," Mary smiled.

"Oh, that could never be," Georgiana replied. "He loves you best of all."

"Well, not more than me, I should hope." Elizabeth added, eliciting a gasp from Georgiana.

Elizabeth laughed at Georgiana's distress. "It is alright, Georgiana. I am only teasing you. I should hope that you know when I am speaking in earnest and when I am not."

A knock at the door soon caught their attention. Mary bade the person enter and was surprised to find the Colonel at the door. Georgiana ran to properly greet her favorite cousin. Mary's smile was as bright as her friend', earning her a curious look from Elizabeth. Mary caught her gaze to attempt to moderate her reaction.

"To what do we owe the honor of your visit?" Elizabeth asked.

"I have come to inquire after the patient," Fitzwilliam smiled as he looked from Elizabeth to Mary. "I trust that you are on the mend?"

"Yes, I am fine, Colonel. Let me thank you again for your kindness to me."

The Colonel smiled broadly at her expression of gratitude before Elizabeth excused herself to see to preparations for dinner and to the Colonel's rooms.

"Speak nothing of it, Miss Farthington. I would, however, request one favor from you, well…two favors."

"Of course, Colonel Fitzwilliam, if it is in my power to grant."

"First, would you do me the honor of calling me simply Fitzwilliam? And second, may I have the pleasure of calling upon you each day until you are better?"

"I would be happy to oblige you, Fitzwilliam." Mary answered, dropping her eyes to her lap.

"Thank you, Miss Farthington. I will leave you and Georgiana now. In the excitement of this morning, I had forgotten the weariness of travel. Until dinner, Georgiana," Fitzwilliam bowed to Georgiana before turning to Mary. "And until tomorrow, Miss Farthington."

After Fitzwilliam departed, Georgiana turned to her friend, her face wreathed in smiles. "Is he not the best of cousins, Mary? He looked so handsome in his uniform. You cannot begin to know how happy I am that he has come! Are you not glad to meet him?"

Mary smiled at her friend who was giddy with happiness. Mary had not seen her so animated before, and the sight warmed her. "Yes, Georgiana, I am quite pleased as well."