Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
stories/537/images/smalluntiltheendoftime1.png


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


“Good luck baby”Abby said as she kissed Vernon on his cheek.He told her everything about Salomi being alive and Morietti’s plan.”You better come back to me in one piece”she warned him.

“I will baby. Salomi too. Dorothy as well, we are all going to be fine”he said. He looked at Gabriel.”Lets go. We are running out of time”he said to him. They both got into Vernon’s car and drove off.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“If I wasn’t dead already, I would kill myself for getting Lomi into this mess”Abraham said to Salomi. Of course he has been watching over her but he never knew that this would happen. “How could I have been so stupid? I should have just let the suitcase go with the ship”

“Abraham you didn’t know ok? Trust me, we have a lot of people on our side. People who can do more than we can”Salomi assured him,”Our baby will be fine”

“She cant join us Salomi. She cant. As much as I miss holding her and playing with her, she cant be here with us. Shes got the rest of her life ahead of her. Shes only 14”

“She wont baby, she wont. She will come to us when shes ready. We’ll do what we can but those mortals can do more for her than we can. Good or bad. We just need to keep the good surrounding her and hope that prevails over the evil”Salomi said to him, “And remember, Lomi is a fighter just like I am. She may surprise us”

“She better”Abraham said with a sigh,”Lets just pray that when it comes to good vs. evil, we come out on top”

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Salomi smiled as Dorothy talked to many reporters, they posed for pictures and met other film stars. She felt like a star too. She almost wished that she had some type of talent instead of math skills but this was good enough. She got complimented on her dress a lot and she felt like a princess. She was getting a lot of attention from older men too. Gabriel was still acting up, he probably would never come around. What if she dated a film star?

“Are you proud of Dorothy, young lady?”a reporter asked her as light bulbs flashed in her face.

She stared wide eyed,”Yes I am. I'm happy that she is happy doing this and proud of it. I'm proud of her too”

“Come on Salomi. The film is starting in 15 minutes, we need to get inside and to our seats”Dorothy said to her. They thanked the reporters and walked inside the theater. Dorothy bought them drinks and candy to enjoy even though the film was only 10 minutes long. They had front row seats next to Charlie Chaplin and David Flanahan, who wrote the script. Salomi sat there beaming. This was gonna be the most exciting night of her life. She just had a feeling it would be.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

While Dorothy and Salomi were out, Ruth, as usual, had to take over. She had to take over the club as well as a few last minute things in the apartment. While the two were getting ready, Ruth was instructed to distract Salomi while Dorothy tried her best to get some suitcase out of the apartment. It wasn’t easy since Salomi was so excited and all over the place. It kind of brought her back to earth. They all forget sometimes that shes still just a little girl. She wanted to know what was in the suitcase but Dorothy said she would explain it when she had time to. Must have been very important though. “Ok everything is done here”Ruth said as she headed for the door. Then there was a knock. She frowned. Did they forget something? She looked through the peephole but then saw no one. She shrugged and opened the door anyway and there were two men dressed in black.”Can I help you?”

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Salomi cried as the ‘Titanic’ sank in the film and Dorothy and Charlie Chaplin went down with it. It reminded her of everything that happened that night. The loved ones she lost such as her father and Uncle Vernie and loved ones she gained, which was Dorothy and Gabriel. She tried to keep her cool. Dorothy was very close to not bringing her since she thought the film would upset her and it did. But it had a happy ending. She and her loved one went down together. Sometimes she wished she would have died with her father, that way she could see her mother again and be a family in the clouds, up in heaven. The film ended and the audience applauded as Dorothy grabbed her hand. She had tears in her eyes as well.

“You alright?”she asked her

Salomi nodded,”It was very good. It must have been hard for you to make”

Dorothy nodded and laughed through her tears,”Trust me, those tears weren’t that hard to muster. I think your father would be proud…don’t you think?”

Salomi smiled,”Yes….he should have been in it. You two would have had great chemistry”

Dorothy looked at her impressed,”Now what do you know about chemistry?”

“Ive been reading those acting books you have in the apartment sometimes. Just so I know what you and Gabriel talk about. I mean I do help you manage a theater. I think I would need to know what my workers are doing”she said and Dorothy hugged her.

“I love you Salomi”she said to her

“I love you too. I'm proud of you Dorothy”Salomi said as she hugged her back. Then David and the director said a few words about the film and informed everyone that it would be released into theaters in the next month. Then they all headed to the Hammerstein Ballroom for the ball that was held in the film’s honor for dinner and dancing. Salomi couldn’t wait, she was starving and she noticed some man staring at her. He was cute in a dark and mysterious way…maybe she will get to know him?

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Morietti punched a hole in the wall when the blond told him that the suitcase wasn’t there.”WELL WHERE IS IT!?”

Ruth swallowed hard, she had this feeling that if she told the truth, Dorothy and Salomi would be in danger. But she had a knife to her throat! “I…..I dunno….”

“Listen you little bitch, I will shoot you in the head if you don’t tell me where the suitcase is. We have been watching you and we know you know all about it. You are always here. NOW WHERE IS IT!?”Morietti said as he pointed his gun right at her.

Ruth started to cry and then she regretfully said,”They took it…”

“WHO’S THEY!?”

“Dorothy, she owns this place-“

“That’s the film star boss”his assistant said to him.

Morietti nodded,”Alright lets go”he said to the assistant. He turned to the two men that were still there. One who had been combing the apartment while the other held the knife to the girls throat.”Do whatever you want to her, shes no use to us anymore”he said as they left.

Ruth didn’t like the sound of that and started to cry some more. What were they going to do to her? Rape her? Slit her throat? Torture her?

“Well you heard him, go ahead and kill her”one said

“No. I ain't being charged with that. Ive never killed anyone before”the knife holder said.”Give me that chair”he said. He then sat Ruth down in it.”You got some rope in here or something?”

“I…..dunno”Ruth said, still crying. She did calm down a little since they weren’t gonna kill her.

“What are you doing man? Just shoot her then!”the other said.The man ignored his partner and tied her hands to the back of the chair with his handkerchief, very tightly in fact. He then found some other handkerchiefs and tied one around her mouth and legs.”You done?!”the other said impatiently,”If you would have just slit her throat we could be all the way on the other side of town by now!”

“I don’t see you doing anything!”he yelled back.”I'm not doing this.Morietti aint paying me enough to knock off some chick who don’t know nothing!”

“You know shes gonna tell! Shes gonna tell someone, that’s all these bitches do! They tell on us guys!”

“Yeah and that’s why your such a fucking fruit!”

“WHAT!?”

“Yeah, you heard me. I heard about you and some guy at that Rainbow Room club. Now if you wanna kill her, go on, go right ahead, you are already sinning enough for the both of us”

Ruth watched in shock as the two started to argue right in front of her. Then all of a sudden two other men burst into the apartment and a fight ensued. She then noticed that one of them was Gabriel and she tried to shout out to him but she couldn’t. The man that was with him took the “fruit” down easily. But the one with the knife was tougher, more trained. He didn’t want to kill her but he certainly wanted to kill Gabriel. Just as he cut Gabriel’s arm was when the other guy smashed a bottle over his head and he fell to the floor. He then ran over to her and untied her.”Ok where is it?”he asked her

“Who?”Ruth asked the man, she didn’t know who he was and her head was spinning.

“Ruth its ok. Hes with me. Wheres the suitcase?”Gabriel asked her as he untied her

“Whats in that suitcase!?”she asked in a high pitched voice.”What the hell is so important about it! These two men were trying to kill me over it!”

“Just tell us where it is Ruth please! We don’t have time! Dorothy and Salomi could die! Now where is it!”Gabriel said

“They took it with them. They have it. Dorothy was trying to get rid of it. Its in the trunk of one of the cars that took them to the premiere”

“Shit…”Gabriel said

“We still have time, as of right now,he may not have his hands on it yet”the man with Gabriel said.”These men must be working for Morietti. He probably has some other clone doing his dirty work”

“Morietti?He was here too.He….I'm so sorry…..”Ruth said and started crying

“What?! He was here? Where is he now?”Gabriel asked her

“They barged in here looking for it, they couldn’t find it of course….I was scared…I didn’t know what to do…he had a knife to my throat….I told him that they had it and they went looking for them. They just left like…5 minutes ago…I'm so sorry! I didn’t know what else to do!”Ruth cried

“Ok, do me a favor”the man said,”Wire the police and tell them that Morietti has been found. They have been on to him for some time now about the counterfeiting. Tell them that he is at that movie premiere ok? Can you do that for us?”he asked her. She nodded,”Are you going to be ok here by yourself?”

“Yes…oh the club! I'm late, I cant open it-“

“Forget it. Dorothy and Salomi’s lives are at stake you can go dancing another time”the man said to her,”Lets go”he said to Gabriel.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“Forget it David. I told you, this was going to be my last film and the only reason why I did it was because you wrote an excellent script and…I wanted to do it for Abraham….I'm done”Dorothy said as she danced with David at the banquet. He had another script and he couldn’t see anyone being the leading lady besides her.”Aren't you going to respect my wishes?”

“I want to. I really do but Dorothy you are so young. Now I know this film will probably take care of you and your little girl for the rest of your lives but don’t retire and be all cavalier on me now”David said,”You admitted that you missed it remember?”

“Yes I did but that was after too many glasses of champagne”

“But its true, isn’t it?”he asked her

Dorothy nodded and then looked at Salomi who was dancing with Charlie. She was laughing and having the greatest time. He was good with kids, but who would be surprised? “I cant David. I promised him. I promised him I would take care of her. If I do another movie I will be away too much and if something were to happen to her while I'm gone being a film star….I wont be able to forgive myself”

“But shes in good hands right? I mean nothing major happened to her while you were away on the set correct?”

“But that was one time and that’s because I had her on lock down but shes getting older and more stubborn and more beautiful. I mean you see how the men are staring at her. I promised him David…”

“So Abraham would want you to be a babysitter for the rest of your life. He wants you to sit back and let life pass you by while it happens to her? I mean that’s a little selfish and very much unlike the Abraham you have described to me”he said to her.”I understand that promise and I know its dear to you. But don’t let that promise dictate your whole life. I mean you never go out anymore. You say that Salomi has found love, when is it going to happen to you?”

“I don’t know. I still love him”Dorothy said as tears came to her eyes.

“And I bet he loves you. And I sure as hell can bet that he doesn’t want you to pass up anything because it will interfere with you tucking her in at night”David said,”Just read the script, that’s all I ask. I mean you are gonna do what you want anyway…but can you please just read it?”

Dorothy nodded. What David was saying was true. Abraham just wanted her to be happy and she was. This film will help pay for the expenses of the club and gallery and there would be plenty of money she can set aside for her and Salomi. Another film can do so much more for them as well. Salomi said she was proud of her and as long as she was happy, she was happy too. She looked out into the crowd and she couldn’t see Salomi anywhere. She was probably making herself sick at the candy table. “I’ll read it. Send it to my office as soon as you can”she said to him as they continued to dance.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Salomi smiled as she sucked on what was her 6th lollipop that night. She felt like a kid in a candy store, she was having the best time. She reached over to grab another one when another hand grabbed for the same one as well. She looked up and it was the mystery guy.

“Oh excuse me, after you”he said to her apologetically

“No, its fine. I think I have had too much anyway”Salomi blushed. “They are very good. You can have it”

“You sure?”he asked her

“Yes, they are the best thing they have here I must say”Salomi said with a smile

“I know of other things that are best here”he said to her

“Oh really? What is that?”she asked him

“Your smile….”he said and then laughed,”I have been watching you all night. I cant take my eyes off of you”

“I noticed”Salomi said

“Can I ask your name?”

“Salomi”she said as he kissed her hand.

“My name is Abraham. Abe for short. You can call me Abe”he said

Salomi gasped.His name was Abraham? He was also tall and handsome like her father. He was also very easy to talk to. He was older yes, but she missed having a fatherly type in her life. She was through with boys, she wanted a man. A man like her father. ”Nice to meet you Abe”she said flirtingly as she sucked on the lollipop.”So besides my smile and this candy, what else is so great around here?”

“Let me show you”Abe said as he took her hand. He led her out of the ballroom and up a flight of stairs. She followed him excitingly, her heart beating fast. Where was he taking her? What was so special? She loved surprises, she couldn’t stand it! He then brought her up to a balcony that looked over the Hudson River and downtown.”Isn't this view beautiful?”

Salomi nodded as the wind blew her dark hair around her.”Very beautiful.”she said as she kept on sucking on her lollipop. Then she smiled and threw it off the balcony, she didn’t hear it hit the ground, so she knew they were up really high.She sat on the edge of the stone railing. "If I fall…would you…save me?”she said as she acted like Dorothy in one of her roles as a damsel in distress.

Abe laughed,”Yes I will madam”he said as he walked over to her. He put his arms around her waist,”Do you trust me?”he asked her

She nodded, of course she did. She could see more of her father in him with each second that passed. He was the only man she could ever trust. He then leaned her back so that she was leaning over the railing.Her heart started beating quickly, she was so far over that if he let her go, she could fall. He started kissing on her neck and she moaned as she saw the Hudson River upside down. Then she felt herself slip a little, she got a little nervous,”Hey, don’t play with me. I'm not that heavy”she said but then she realized that he was slowly pushing her off more,”Alright….stop….I don’t…..I don’t think this is a good idea anymore Abe….pull me back up!”she said. But he wasn’t listening to her, she started slapping him, scratching him. This wasn’t cute and sexy anymore and neither was he. He was a totally different person now.”LET GO OF ME! PUT ME DOWN!”she shouted at him.

*________________________*