Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


The argument that Salomi and Darla had was soon forgotten and the four of them celebrated by popping open an illegal bottle of champagne, they even invited Ola in to celebrate and she did but blushed the whole time knowing that she let Darla and Leon in on Salomi and Gabriel. She apologized and they just laughed. “We are going to party tonight. Anyone up for the chapel?”Darla asked them

“Of course, after our rehearsal”Leon said to her.

“You should come Ola”Darla said excitedly as she jumped off the bed and went over to where Ola was sitting. “I bet you your two bosses over here would love to party with you”she said as she sat in her lap. This surprised Ola very much and she jumped up out of the chair quickly almost causing Darla to fall. They laughed.

“Oh I'm so sorry Miss Darla”Ola said to her

“Its alright sugar. A no would have been fine”Darla said to her and made a little face at Salomi and Gabriel,”But you two aren't that stuffed up. Ola never gets to go out”

“Actually she does”Gabriel defended,”She goes to that Irish pub every now and then right Ola?”he asked her and she nodded.”I mean if you want to come, we won't mind right?”he asked as she looked at Salomi. Salomi nodded with a small smile, both of them still naked under the sheets.

“I'm fine really. I’ll probably go to the pub but I do have so much work to do”Ola said in her thick Irish accent,”Thank you sir, ma’am”

“Hey its Gabriel and Salomi, we aren't old you know”Gabriel said. Ola nodded and left.

“She's too uptight, where is she from? Scotland? She's got a very thick accent”Darla said as she stood by the door frame and watched Ola go downstairs.

“Ireland, there's a difference. Her mother died when she was young and her father left to fight in the war. He was MIA for awhile and she stayed with a family friend. He abused her a lot and she ran away and came here. We hadn’t entered the war yet and she was just looking for some peace”Gabriel explained,”She's very good and loyal. I wonder if she’ll go back and try to find her father? Wouldn’t that be great if they were reunited?”he asked as he turned to Salomi. The two of them got along quite well. But Salomi just shrugged, she was quiet all of a sudden.

“Sounds like something from a novel”Leon said. They talked awhile more and then Darla and Leon left.

Gabriel looked at Salomi and blushed,”Sorry”

“For what?”she asked quietly

“That we celebrated the end of the war, naked with others in the room”he said with a laugh. It was all very funny to him,”We’ll need to lock our doors from now on huh?”he asked her. She only nodded,”What's wrong?”he asked her. He thought that she would be happy that the war was over.

Salomi shook her head and then tears filled her eyes,”I just wish that Uncle Vernie was alive to see this”she said to him and started to cry. She never understood why there was a war in the first place, no one ever wins. But it all started in an instant and it was over in an instant as well but it seemed to take so long between those two. It was all so useless and senseless and it hurt her that Uncle Vernie wasn’t alive to see it.

Gabriel held her close to him as she cried in his arms. She never spoke of Uncle Vernie since his death and since the death of the baby. Both happened too soon. “Me too baby. Vernon was a good man, he saved my life and yours”he said, remembering the incident with Morietti 4 years ago. “But I bet he's very happy, it's over now only a few years after the US came into it so he didn’t die in vain, we obviously helped. He's up there celebrating, I know it. He's probably opening a heavenly bottle of champagne. Jesus is probably turning all their water into wine at this very moment”

Salomi laughed a little,”I didn’t know that angels could party like us”

“Oh they are just like us, just cleaner…no sins on their record and they wear white and have the wings and halos”he said. He held her for awhile and then they continued to ‘pet’ each other. When they were done with that, they dressed in their robes and went downstairs as Ola made them dinner. They loved her Irish meals and they both devoured the bread bowls and the stew inside it. “Are you going to return to Ireland now that the war is over?”he asked her

Ola looked at him with tears in her eyes,”I've been thinking about it, but I don’t know. My father has been MIA for 3 years now. Maybe I should just move on…”

“But you don’t want to be here wondering for the rest of your life do you?”Salomi spoke up,”Remember my Uncle Vernie? I know he will never come back but if he was MIA right now I would be fighting along with my aunt Abby to find him. I think you should do the same”

Ola nodded,”I know, I'm just scared. I don’t want to run into him again”she said, the ‘him’ she was referring to was the family friend that abused her,”I also don’t want to travel that far if….for nothing…”she said

They both nodded,”But you miss Ireland…you tell me about it all the time, the food is great and its legal to drink over there…sounds great to me”Gabriel said

Ola laughed,”The beer is amazing”she said.They sat there in silence as they ate and she finally said,”Yes…once I get some money together. I’ll go”she said nervously but knowing it was the right thing to do.

“I can give you the money now, we can get you on a boat tomorrow”Gabriel said to her and both Salomi and Ola looked at Gabriel with surprise,”It's fine. I can afford it”

Ola laughed and smiled,”Thank you sir…Gabriel. But I would like to contact some people to let them know I'm coming”

“That’s fine. Just let me know”he said to her. Ola thanked him profusely and soon went to her room. They could hear tears of joy through the thin doors. Salomi grabbed Gabriel’s hand and kissed it. He was so caring and thoughtful, she was a lucky woman.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Gabriel and Leon’s rehearsal was canceled due to the good news of the end of the war and all of New York City was celebrating the end of it. The four of them went to the chapel and partied the night away. Darla again got upset at Salomi for not even trying some coke but Salomi was very firm about not trying it because Gabriel asked her not to. Instead she got very drunk, the end of the war was a happy event for her but knowing that her Uncle Vernie died as a soldier for the war just depressed her. She basically drank a whole bottle of hooch to herself. Gabriel had to carry her out of the chapel into the car and into their apartment.

Others had a low key celebration.

“To the USA”Jules said as he toasted Dorothy

“To the USA”Dorothy said to him as they toasted and then drank the champagne

“I wonder what this is going to mean for us? I mean France, Britain and Germany have a lot of cleaning up to do but we don’t. Our troops will be home and then what?”

“Well you always talk about how the economy is booming and all the stocks that you have bought. Life will be normal again and we can just move on with our lives and not have to dabble in other countries affairs. I'm glad this war is over, we now need to focus on not having a…world war part two”

Jules laughed,”World War part two?”he asked her,”I don’t think any of us would be stupid enough to be a part of something like that”he said,”All countries, including us, no matter how prosperous we are getting, lost a lot of money. War is expensive. No I don’t think that will happen. I think we finally achieved world peace”he said as they toasted again. They talked, made love and then her phone rang. “Let it ring”Jules said as he snuggled next to her in her bed.

“No…it's so late, something must be wrong”Dorothy said as she got up and answered it,”Hello?”

“Dorothy? It's me, Ruth”

“Ruth what's wrong? Why are you calling me so late?”

“I'm sorry but Dorothy, the club has been broken into. I'm getting ready to leave now”Ruth said

“Ohmygod”Dorothy said as tears came to her eyes, she just renovated the club again and now it had been broken into, who knew what type of damage was done or if money was stolen.”I'm on my way Ruth”she said to her and hung up the phone. She ran back into the bedroom and dressed as she cried

“Baby what's wrong?”Jules asked her

“The club, someone has broken into it. Shit, Jules, we just renovated the place! Its probably damaged…all of that for nothing”she said

“I’ll come with you”he said to her

“No…..just stay here, I can handle it”Dorothy said as she put her shoes on

“No I'm going with you”he said

“No you cant!”she snapped at him and then stopped,”Sorry…but what would they think if they see me arriving with you at this time of night? What on earth could we be doing besides what we have been doing…which is a secret”

“We were playing cards”Jules said, trying to cheer her up but he knew she was right. Their relationship was very much still a secret even though they have been seeing each other for a year now. They were always very careful. He gave her a kiss,”I’ll be here waiting. I’ll cook for you. You’ll be exhausted when you get back, I'm sure. Drive safely”he said to her.

She nodded and picked up her coat and left the apartment. She put the coat on and realized it was Jules’. She was going to go back upstairs, but she didn’t have time. She took his car keys out of his pocket and got into his car. She was hysterical on the way over to the club. The streets were still crowded due to the many late parties celebrating the end of the war. It was hard to look at the many people in the streets so happy when her baby, her club, something she had worked so hard for, could have been destroyed. What if they took everything? Money, wine…they had to hide it before the police got there. They didn’t serve the illegal liquor but wine was close enough. They didn’t want them to be suspicious. She started to cry as she drove, and she yelled impatiently at the slow traffic. Everything seemed a blur and she was still a little inebriated from all the champagne that she had.”Please God, I know I don’t pray much but let everything be ok”she said as she closed her eyes for a quick second as she prayed. She opened them and saw something run out in front of Jules’ car. She screamed and slammed on the brakes but unfortunately she hit whatever it was at full force. She was going really fast. She came screeching to a stop and she panicked as she sat there. What did she hit? What the hell just happened?! She turned off the car and got out and walked around to the front of it, afraid of what she would find. She hoped that it was a cat or dog or something.

But she gasped when she saw that she had hit someone. An actual person. A human being. She looked around and no one was around. She was on the only quiet back street in New York at the moment. She wanted to ask someone for help but there was no one around. She started to cry as she knelt down and tried to revive the person. It was a man. However, she wasn’t a doctor, she felt for a pulse and there was none. He was dead. She just killed someone. She had killed this man. How could she be so stupid!? She cried as she held the unknown man in her arms, his blood all over her. What was she going to do now? The club needed her but this dead man needed her more. She couldn’t just leave him. She panicked and cried as she looked around,”HELP!”she screamed helplessly.

So much for a low key celebration.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Dorothy found help when an old woman heard her screaming from an apartment that sat in front of the incident. She even knew the man and told her that he lived down the hall from her. She called Ruth and told her to please take care of the club and told her that an emergency came up that she needed to take care of. The older woman happily called the police for Dorothy since she was so hysterical. As they waited the old woman told her that the man had a wife and kids, making her feel worse. In all the excitement she forgot to call Jules and didn’t even think about the fact that she had hit and killed this supposed ‘nice man who wouldn’t hurt anyone’ with his car. The police and an ambulance arrived and Dorothy was very cooperative but hysterical. The old woman also spoke with them about what she had seen. The police took her downtown and she told them the truth. She had a little to drink and she was in a rush since she had gotten a call about her club getting broken into, she was so upset and didn’t see the man until she had hit him with the car. She even confessed that it wasn’t her car, that it was a friends. She didn’t know if she would be going to jail or not, but she decided to be totally honest. Maybe she would get off easier that way.

However, all the police knew who she was and in between questioning a lot of them asked for autographs and pictures. She refused on pictures but she did write autographs even though she thought it absurd. She got one phone call and she called Jules.

“Uh…hello?”he asked uncertainly, he was unsure that he should have answered her phone. What if it was Ruth? What would she think? He thought about hanging up when he heard her voice,”Dorothy? You sound horrible are you alright?”

“No I'm not…I'm at the police station. I only get one phone call”she said

“Well what are they going to do about the club? What happened?”he asked her and then he stopped,”Wait…you get one call? They have you in custody? What? They think you did it or something?”he asked

“No Jules….just listen to me”she said, she was already sick of telling the story. “On the way to the club, I hit someone….they’re dead. I killed a man”she said and she started to cry

Jules gasped,”Ohmygod baby I'm sorry. They know that you didn’t mean to do it right? I’ll get the best lawyers in New York to represent you. Are they going to make you stay in prison tonight? What are they going to do?”

“They reduced bail to $200”she said, knowing that was a lot of money. “I can go if that is paid. I'm not technically guilty of anything if it was an accident”she said as she cried

“Ok I’ll be there soon”he said,”I’ll bail you out”he said to her and was about to hang up

“Wait…Jules, your gonna have to drive my car”she said. She was going to dread telling him this.

“Your car? What are you talking about?”he asked her,”Wait, wheres my jacket?”

“Jules listen to me. I left the apartment in such a rush that I took your jacket instead of mine. I wasn’t thinking and went ahead and drove your car”

“WHAT!?”he screamed, making her jump. She's never heard him yell before.

“Jules I'm sorry! I didn’t mean for this to happen it was an accident”

“I’ll be there as soon as I can”he said and hung up. Dorothy was relieved as she hung up, she knew that Jules would bail her out but she cried. She wondered if this was the last favor he would ever do for her?

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Jules bailed Dorothy out and he was calm by the time he arrived. He was still very much upset about the fact that his car was considered a murder weapon now but he knew that in one night Dorothy had been through too much. So as always, he was supportive. Ruth hadn’t called about the club yet so she was probably still dealing with it. Jules took her straight home and fed her the cold breakfast that he was making while he was waiting for her to come back. She wouldn’t eat but he gave her a lot of brandy and she soon fell asleep. In the morning he called the best lawyers in town and explained the case to them. Dorothy had just woken up when there was a knock at the door. “Let me get it”she said. It wouldn’t look good if Jules answered the door in his underwear.

It was Ruth. Dorothy gave her a hug,”Are you alright?”she asked her,”What happened?”

“I'm alright but are you?”Ruth asked her,”You look like shit”

“Thanks”she said,”So how much are the damages Ruth? Can we afford it?”

“It wasn’t as bad as we thought it would be. It seemed that some partiers on the street got out of control. Maisy’s wasn’t the only business that was attacked. The restaurant across the street, the barbershop and the small convenience store all had the same thing happen. Only the windows were broken. Some alcohol was missing but not much, they didn’t touch a thing. It seemed to be very spontaneous. They threw bricks through the window, realized it was a club and searched for alcohol and stole a few bottles. So we came out very lucky”Ruth said,”We only have to replace the windows and they are doing that as we speak we have the money to pay for it thank God. Nothing to worry about”

“Oh thank God. Your heaven sent Ruth you know that? I don’t know what I would do without you”Dorothy said to her

Ruth gave a small smile,”Thank you Dorothy….but are you alright? What was the emergency? Is it Lomi? Is she alright?”she asked her

“No it's not Lomi. I'm guessing she's fine. I need to call her though….”she said but she didn’t want to explain the situation anymore.”It's nothing I don’t want to talk about it”

“I bet you don’t”

“I beg your pardon?”Dorothy asked her. Ruth said that remark with a very snotty tone. Ruth sighed and gave her the mornings newspaper. Dorothy’s scandal was all over the paper, but it didn’t speak about the fact that she had hit and killed a man. But the fact that she was driving Jules’ car. Everyone knew that he was married and if they didn’t they knew now. Everyone knew now. The headline said, “ACTRESS DOROTHY GIBSON IS BRULATOUR’S MISTRESS!” It later explained that Dorothy was ‘joyriding’ in Jules’ car, drunk and out of control. There were even ‘eyewitnesses’ who confessed to seeing the two together. The paper was waiting for a reply from Jules’ wife. Great, now what would she say? What would she do?

“I'm sorry that having an affair with Julian Brulatour is more important than saving your own club! If I wasn’t there, then what would have happened?”Ruth asked her.”Never thought you would use me Dorothy”

“Its not like that Ruth-“Dorothy tried to explain but the only answer was the slam of the front door

*_____________________________*