Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Abby didn’t leave the house for months. She was very depressed due to the incident. She was irritable, she yelled, she threw things, cried at any given moment. Vernon tried his best to help her through it but it seemed like she didn’t want any help. It was like she had given up. He stayed with her as much as he could, but there were many deliveries to make. Abraham helped him from time to time but he needed to do his job. “Ask Abraham to take over. He understands. I need you here. I don’t want you to leave”she cried

“I cant do that. That’s not how it works”Vernon said with a sigh. “They have been very gracious to let me have a couple days to myself here and there. But it cant be a pattern. I have to go. I don’t want to but I have to. We need the money”he said. The damed doctor cost a fortune, he wanted to say. But he was careful with his words and his tone and inflection. Anything set her off.

“I don’t need money! I need my goddamned husband!”Abby shouted with rage

“Abby-“he said warningly

“Don’t Abby me! I don’t want to be alone! You care about that goddamn job more than me!”

“That job puts a roof over our heads, that job puts food on the table, that job has paid for every bill we have! Im still paying off those doctors bills”he shouted and then stopped. Shit, he yelled.

She looked at him with the most hateful look,”Some good them fancy doctors did us! I have no children and no husband!”she said and started to cry and ran into the bedroom

“You do have a husband Abby-“

“Just go! Just go to your glorious managerial job!”she shouted at him

So he did, when she got like that, he knew that she wanted space. But she confused him, wanting him to stay one minute and then stay away the next. It stressed him out and he drank at the saloon more to calm his nerves. He hoped that Abby would get out of this rut she was in soon.

Each time would be different, sometimes when he came home she would apologize profusely and cry for forgiveness. Sometimes she was still too upset to see him and she would disappear to her parents’ house, sometimes she was there for a night, sometimes days. Other times she wanted to just make love to him, it was those times when she acted like her normal self. Or other times, she would still be angry and give him a piece of her mind. He never knew what he came home to.

He opened the door cautiously after returning from drinking moonshine at the saloon. This made him calmer but sleepy. “Abby?”he asked

“Im in here”she said in a little voice. She was in the bedroom.

He stood in the doorway. It was almost a good sign, she wasn’t as upset if she was still around at least. “Are you alright?”

“I don’t know, Vern. I don’t know anything anymore”she said sadly

“Can I sleep in here tonight?”he asked her. Many nights he slept in the front room.

“Please?”she asked as she held out her arms to him. He hugged her close.

“I miss hugging you Abby”he said as he held her. “I love you, you know that right?”

“I don’t know why. Im so awful to you”she said. “Im an awful person”she said

“You’re not awful-“

“I am. I hurt you, I yell, I killed my children-“

“It wasn’t your fault Abby! Stop saying that!”

“Im not even a woman. Im incapable of doing what women do best, what we were made to do. I cant even have your children”

“Yes you can. The doctor said you can still have children”Vernon said. That was a good thing at least.

“I don’t want to listen to anything that man has to say”she said gruffly

“Well he’s right. He does know what he’s doing. We all tried our best. It just wasn’t our time-“

“I don’t care. It was our time. I was ready. Ive been ready to have your children. I still do”she said

“He’s even recommended someone and Ive read his articles. His name is Dr. Livingstone and he has many theories about miscarriages. He’s had many success stories from clients who have suffered through the same thing and then having children after seeing him”

“Can we see him?”Abby asked,”He can tell me whats wrong with me”

“Theres nothing wrong with you”he said,”I would like to but he’s very expensive and he’s all the way in New York City. That’s a four day train ride. We’ll have to save up and work on trying again for another child. Are you sure that you’re ready?”he asked her

“Im always ready”she said. She sighed,”I learned something from my mother today. She said that she’s had 2 miscarriages as well before me. I never knew that, she thinks that maybe its hereditary. All we can do is just keep trying until we get our child”she said to him. She shook her head,”I never knew that”

“That’s good for this Dr. Livingstone to know. Hes very keen on family history, diet, things like that”he said and kissed her,”I love you Abby. No matter what happens”

“I love you too”she said

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

The months flew by and soon Abby was back to her old self. She was happy and smiling and she went back to work at the store on the outskirts of town. She continued her gardening hobby and even sold some of the vegetables. She called her garden,”The Baby Fundraiser” because it helped with their savings to see Dr. Livingstone. Vernon had written the Dr. a letter and he wrote back saying he was interested in their case and also sent his latest newsletter. The two continued to try again during the meantime and this made the couple closer than ever.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Summer came and went. School started back up for Salomi and Eveline and business seemed to be booming for Abraham and Vernon. Fall came and went and winter arrived with record heat. It didn’t even seem like Christmas when it arrived and Abraham, Salomi, Vernon and Abby took a short “family vacation” to the beach. They were all in high spirits but the time seemed quite bittersweet for Abby and Vernon, their twins were to arrive at this time if they survived.

They went to the beach again for Salomi’s 12th birthday and Abraham couldn’t believe how beautiful and grown she’s gotten. It was like Salomi herself came back to life, they looked exactly alike. Like Salomi was reborn, through her daughter of the same name.

A few weeks later, Vernon woke with a start when Abby wasn’t feeling well. She was going through the same symptoms she did last year. She was very nauseous and dizzy and they both hoped that this was a sign that she was pregnant. However, Vernon felt guilty, it took two to make a child after all and he felt like he inflicted this pain on his young wife.

They got a new doctor and her mother agreed to be a midwife and watch over her. The doctor confirmed that Abby was pregnant, they were both ecstatic. Vernon immediately wrote Dr. Livingstone and he wrote back with tips and suggestions. They were very close to having enough money to spare for their trip to New York and his visit. Vernon couldn’t wait. He has always wanted to visit New York and this was a good way as any to get it done.

And Vernon was going to get his wish…..sort of….

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Morietti smiled at the letter in his hand. This was going to be their biggest job yet. They requested their two top deliverers. But who would they be? Who would he choose? He smiled as he sat back in his chair and smoked a cigar.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

Abraham made his usual drop off and he was about to leave when Morietti stopped him. “I need you to stay here. I have something to speak with you about”

“Alright”Abraham said as he sat down. What could Morietti want to speak with him about?

“Im waiting on your friend”Morietti said as he smoked his cigar. Abraham nodded. Did he mean Vernon? What did he need with the both of them? Thirty minutes later, Vernon appeared and did his usual drop off. “Sit. I have a proposition for the two of you’s” They both sat there in silence. “It seems we have the biggest and furthest delivery yet. Some chap in London needs a delivery of one million dollars. If we get you on a train to New York, get you on a ship to London, make the drop off and come back, will you two do it? I chose the both of you because you have been with me for quite some time now and….somehow you have been making the quickest deliveries out of anyone. You’ll get a big bonus for this-“

“How much?”Abraham asked. Vernon kicked him.

“Make the delivery and bring back a special package they will send back to me…and you’ll find out. You’s in or not?”

They looked at each other and smiled. This was a way for Abraham to make even more money. This was also a way for Vernon to reach New York. “We’re in”they said.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

“Daddy? That’s a lot of money”Salomi said when she got home one night. She was able to come and go as she pleased, he trusted her. She also saw a suitcase. “You going somewhere?”

“We are”Abraham said with a smile. Morietti gave them the money and their deadline which was 3 weeks maximum. They needed to get a move on, but he couldn’t leave his best counter. They were dealing with more money and he knew that Morietti would kill them if they made any mistakes and with Salomi helping, he hasn’t made one. “We have a delivery in London. One million dollars. We will be taking a train in the morning for New York City and we will be taking the next boat to London. I want you to come. I want you to see the world and I need my best counter with me”

“New York City!? London!? A train?! A ship!?”Salomi said excitedly and hugged her father. She’s dreamed of being able to experience all 4 of those things and now she could. “Thank you Daddy”

“Get packing, we are leaving at dawn”he said with a smile.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

It was a different story with Abby and Vernon. Dr. Livingstone suggested that Abby not take any long trips. The baby surviving its first trimester was critical. So she couldn’t come along on the trip. However, Vernon did set up an appointment with him and once he reached New York, they would meet and decide what would happen next for them.

Abby was irritable and didn’t want to be away from Vernon for three weeks. She wanted him to be by her side through this pregnancy. She was scared to death. But she finally conceded and agreed that staying with her parents was the right thing to do, that way her mother can watch over her and write him and Dr. Livingstone if anything came up. Vernon was able to afford a wagon and he packed her things and sent her to stay with them. They had a tearful goodbye and he promised to write, he thanked her parents and then went back home to count the money and pack.

Early the next morning, he drove to Abraham’s place and was surprised when Salomi answered the door with a huge smile on her face. He thought she would be at Eveline’s by now. “Well, top of the mornin’ to you”he said to her,”Are you excited about your extended sleepover with Eveline?”

“No, Im excited about going to New York City, and London, and the train and the huge ships!”she said

“What!?”he asked and saw Abraham. “Abraham?”

“Yes? You ready?”he asked as he put three suitcases into his wagon

“Why is she coming?”he asked, indicating Salomi. “Its one thing to let her count for you, but its another to bring her on this trip! What are you thinking!? Get her over to Millie’s house before its too late. You’re gonna get us killed!”

“Look, this is a big job. Salomi is the reason why Morietti chose me in the first place. I make no mistakes with her around. She’s coming”

“No shes not!”

“Yes I am!”Salomi shouted

“We cant argue about this. We need to catch the first train”Abraham said. “We cant be late”Vernon sighed in exasperation and they finished loading the wagon and then rode into town. He was furious! What if Morietti found out? They arrived at the station and Abraham rushed to the ticket window. “One way to New York City, 2 adults, 1 child”

“The next train is leaving in five minutes-“

“Yes we want that one”he said hurriedly. And five minutes later they were on their way to New York City.

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

New York City was quite an adventure and very beautiful. While Vernon had his meetings with Dr. Livingstone, Abraham and Salomi went shopping. They needed to look professional and rich. They were going to be riding first class on The Americana the next day. They bought tuxedos, evening gowns and several pairs of pants, shirts, skirts and shoes. They were going to be coming back with much more than what they brought and they didn’t mind. They could afford it.

The next morning they were in high spirits. Vernon had learned quite a lot from Dr. Livingstone and he told him it would be alright to bring Abby on his next visit once she survived her first trimester. He couldn’t wait to get this over with and get back home. They boarded the Americana and waved to the dock full of New Yorkers as they set off for London.

The three of them enjoyed the ship. There was entertainment such as puppet shows and music acts in the smoky nightclub on board. There was a pool where they could go for a swim, they played shuffleboard, cricket, golf. There were balls and first class dinners. They drank tea and coffee at quaint little coffeshops and tried crumpets for the first time, they weren’t all that good. The four days on the ship was heaven. When they docked in London, it was like traveling to another world. There was a huge crowd waiting for them and Salomi waved and cheered along with them. Out of the huge crowd, they were looking for one man. Then they found him, he was dressed all in black and holding a sign that said “Squires/Greene”. They went up to him and introduced themselves. Salomi wanted to giggle, the way the man talked was different and funny.

“And who is this?”the man asked in his British Cockney dialect, looking at Salomi. She looked about 16…maybe 17.

“She’s my assistant”Abraham said calmly. Vernon stood there and tried to be calm, but he feared this. Was this man going to tell?

“Oh. Alright”he said,”Follow me. I will chauffeur you to your hotel. You will be staying there as long as this takes”he said as they followed him to a car and got in and they were soon submersed in London traffic. Salomi smiled widely, she’s never been in a car like this and the man was driving on the wrong side of the car. How silly! He stopped in front of a grand hotel and Salomi had to hold in her excited squeal. He handed Abraham a slip of paper and said,”Read those instructions carefully. I will be back later this evening at 6 sharp. I will see you then”he said as bell boys approached the car and helped them with their luggage. They were led to their hotel suite and Salomi proceeded to jump on the bed. The instructions told them how the money was to be split up and Salomi calmed down long enough for them to do so.

The delivery went very well and the receiver who was a very rich man anyway, gave them the special package that Morietti wanted. “I suggest you all take the Titanic back to New York”he said to them,”The unsinkable ship. It will be her maiden voyage”

*~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~*

While they were doing the delivery, Salomi walked around London, on her way back to the hotel, she stopped at a nut stand who was selling a bag of nuts for a nickel, or a shilling in their language. She bought one and saw two boys around her age, or a few years older, whispering about whether they should steal some. She overheard them. “Let me get another bag”she said and gave the seller another coin. She then tossed the bag to them and a boy, with the bluest eyes she’s ever seen,caught them. He stared at her with shock. “Have a nice day fellas”she said with a smile and then continued on into the hotel. The two boys following her, with their eyes…

“You should go for her”the other boy with brown eyes said

The boy with the blue eyes shook his head,”She’s one of those rich girls. Wouldn’t work”

Later that night, they went out on the town for dinner and requested the most expensive restaurant in the area. They were put at the top of the list. They were disappointed with the menu, a lot of it had stuff they didn’t want to eat, like frogs legs, or stuff they couldn’t pronounce. The restaurant was packed because a cast of Shakespearean actors were having a celebratory dinner. The cast as well as the crew were dining in the restaurant and there were many fans who requested to eat close by just so that they could get a glimpse of the stage actors. Reporters even tried to find their way inside but they had to stay outside. Everyone felt like a film star when they walked in with their cameras going off. Abraham went to the bathroom and bumped into one of the actors from the show, they said excuse me and went on their own ways. It didn’t faze him since he didn’t know who she was. “Lets call it a night. We are leaving first class on the Titanic tomorrow morning. We are going to need our rest”he said as he left a generous tip.

*__________________________________*