Table of Contents [Report This]
Printer Chapter or Story


- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
“You could burn a thousand days and I would need no other light.  You could die a thousand ways and I’d still love you back to life.”--- Lenny Kravitz


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


It was a chilly late October night.  The full moon beamed in the cloudy, dark sky above. It was late, too late to be driving. But Lizzie had insisted that she had something to show Brody tonight. She hadn’t said what she had to show him but Brody went along anyway. He was used to her mysteriousness. It was one of the reasons he’d fallen in love with her.

 

“I was nervous at first.” Brody Matthews said breaking the silence.

 

“Why?”

 

“I don’t know. I guess I was afraid your folks wouldn’t like me.”

 

“I told you you had nothing to worry about.” Lizzie said assuring her fiancé.

 

“They’re nice people.”

Lizzie nodded keeping her focus on the desolate road ahead.

 

Brody glanced over at Lizzie wondering where she was taking him. She sat back relaxed in the drivers’ seat as if she’d known this road like the back of her hand.  Her long, black dreadlocks were pulled back into a messy ponytail and her mahogany skin glowed under the bit of moonlight that seeped into the windows.  His eyes wandered down to her full lips. God, he loved her lips. The thought of being the man who was lucky enough to kiss those lips everyday for the rest of his life made him smile.

 

She slowed the car to a stop. Slipping on her coat, she took the key out of the ignition.  She got out of the car waiting for Brody to follow. He did.

 

Before them stood an abandoned, large, Victorian styled house covered in ivy.  

 

“Are you going to tell me where we are?” He asked slamming the car door.

 

“Do you know who Brutus Quid is? Was. I mean was.” She said correcting herself.

 

“Yeah, he was a serial killer from this town. So?”

 

“This is. I mean was his house.” She said excitedly.

 

“Okay, so why are we here?”

 

“Do you remember when I told you I went through a goth phase when I was younger? Well rumor around town is that this place is haunted. And I...”

 

“Wait lemme get this straight.” Brody spoke interrupting her.

 

“You want to go into an allegedly haunted house where a murderer not only lived and killed but also died?” Brody asked staring at Lizzie as if she’d lost her mind.

 

“Well yeah.” She responded hoping he’d come.

 

“Lizzie give me the keys and get in the car. We clearly need to get you back to your parent’s house so you can get some sleep.” Brody said motioning for her to hand over the keys.

 

“C’mon Brody, Halloween is tomorrow. Get in the spirit.”

 

“No.” Brody stated.

 

“Pleeeeease?” Lizzie begged.

 

She reached for his hand. Raising it to her mouth, she lightly kissed his knuckles.

 

‘Fine.” He said smiling at her.

 

“The most we’ll see is spider webs.”

 

“This is why I love you.” Lizzie said brushing Brody’s shaggy, black hair out of his eyes.

 

-------------------------------

 

“The door wasn’t even locked. Weird. .”  Brody stated once they were inside.

 

Lizzie looked around the house.  The wall paper was peeling, old furniture had been torn apart, and the wooden floors creaked every time a step was taken.

 

“The police tore this place apart.” Lizzie said distracted.

 

“What exactly is the story on the creep who lived here?” Brody asked.

 

“It’s not a “story”. It was his life.” Lizzie said snapped.

 

Brody looked at Lizzie slightly surprised.

 

“Just tell me what happened Morticia.” He said with a laugh.

 

Lizzie rolled her eyes playfully.

 

“Brutus Quid moved here from California in the mid 90’s. His dad was some big shot judge and his parents wanted him to follow in his father’s foot steps, but Brutus wanted to be a violinist.  So Brutus took his trust fund and packed and moved here. Far, far away from Mama and Papa Quid. A woman went missing a few weeks after he moved here but no one connected it to Brutus. Four years passed and 3 more women went missing. Still nobody connected it to Brutus. Until, late February 2002 when Brutus was found stabbed to death in his attic. He was killed by one of the sons of the missing women. The cops caught the boy and he told them that the last time he’d saw his mother alive was night she went on a date with Brutus. The cops searched every inch of this house and didn’t find a single body but they found his music. He had written 4 pieces of music. Each piece was named after the 4 missing women. And the music wasn’t written in ink. It was written in blood. Their blood.”

 

“Jesus.” Brody said repulsed.

 

“Why would he do that to those poor women?”

 

“They weren’t exactly saints. They were rather trashy.” Lizzie answered.

 

“They still didn’t deserve to die.”

 

Lizzie looked away.

 

“Did you ever meet him?” Brody asked.

 

“No. But I saw him twice. The first time I saw him was at the bookstore in the occult section. The second time I saw him he was down by the creek playing his violin.”

 

“What was he like?” He asked curiously.

 

“Tall, tanned, short brown hair, giant blue eyes. He didn’t look like a killer and certainly didn’t sound like one.” Lizzie said barely paying attention to Brody.

 

“He talked to you?”

 

“No, but I heard him playing his music. It was so amazing and raw. Sounded like loneliness and pain. Like he was looking for someone and he was hoping his music would find them for him.” Lizzie whispered staring out of a broken window.

 

Brody watched her beginning to feel uncomfortable. She was acting stranger than usual.

 

“I think we should leave.”

 

“Let’s just look upstairs then we can leave. Deal?” Lizzie said turning to face Brody.

 

“Deal.

 

---------------------------------

 

“This was that freaks bedroom.” Brody said opening a white door with a brass knob.

 

“I’m gonna go check out his library.” Lizzie said turning to leave.

 

 Brody grabbed her arm. “I think we should stay together.”

 

“Don’t worry it’s just down the hall. I’ll be right back.”

 

She left leaving Brody alone.  

 

“How does she know where the library is?” Brody wondered.

 

He studied the empty room. The dark velvet curtains still hung over the windows and a large bed with black, satin sheets sat in the middle of the room.

 

He walked over to the window and pulled back the curtains to let some light in. A squirrel hiding in the curtain scurried away.

 

“Shit.” Brody said startled.

 

 He turned around staring at the bed.  

 

“Why is that still here?”  He thought to himself.

 He walked over to the bed. He let the tips of his fingers graze the satin sheets. They felt new.” Someone else has been here.” 

Something weird was going on. They had to leave. Now.

  

“BRODY!!”

 

Brody jumped hearing Lizzie scream his name. He dashed out of the room into the library. There was no sign of Lizzie.

 

“Lizzie? Where are you?” Brody yelled loudly.

 

“BRODY!!” Lizzie screamed his name again.

 

He bolted into hall. Her voice was coming from upstairs. The attic.

 

He climbed the creaking stairs breathing heavily.  He reached the top. Moonlight flooded the room through broken windows.

 

“Lizzie?!” He screamed panicking.

 

He saw someone out of the corner of his eye. He spun around to see an object being swung at his head. He hit the floor. Everything in the room grew blurry until darkness consumed him.

 

-------------------------------

 

“Brody?”

 

“Please be alive?” He heard a woman’s voice saying.

 

“Lizzie?”  He mumbled over the pounding in his head.

 

“It’s me Brody. Thank god you’re alive.” Lizzie said relieved.

 

Brody struggled to open his eyes. He realized he was sitting in a chair. He smiled seeing Lizzie standing in front of him.

 

Trying to focus he squinted and looked past Lizzie. Behind her sat a circle of lit candles on the floor.  

 

“Lizzie what is that?” He asked baffled.

 

He gathered his strength attempting to stand but he couldn’t.

 

He tried again unable to rise.

 

Suddenly he felt the tight ropes around his arms and legs. He couldn’t stand because he was tied to the chair.

 

“Lizzie untie me.”

 

‘I’m sorry baby, but I can’t do that.” She said grinning.

----------------------

 

“Lizzie this isn’t funny. Untie me now.” Brody demanded.

 

“No, it isn’t funny but it is exciting.” She said still smiling.

 

“What the fuck is going?’ Brody asked growing angry.

 

“Good question. It’s time we told you.”

 

“We?”

 

“Brutus?” Lizzie yelled.

 

“Have you lost your…” he stopped talking upon hearing foot steps ascending the attic steps.

 

A tall man with short brown hair appeared at the top of the stairs. He stood shirtless in baggy jeans, and barefoot. Brody had seen this man before in newspapers. He’d heard Lizzie describe him earlier.

 

“B-b-Brutus Quid?’ Brody stammered.

 

“In the flesh, well not yet.” He let out a booming laugh.

 

Lizzie laughed along with him.

 

“This isn’t possible.” Brody said staring at the man in front of him.